PDA

View Full Version : AP Story on Lofton, includes salary

Jerry_Manuel
02-01-2002, 06:39 PM
Six-time All-Star center fielder Kenny Lofton on Friday signed a one-year, free-agent contract with the White Sox.

The agreement has a $1.25 million base salary and almost $1.8 million in bonuses.

Lofton, 34, spent most of his 11-year major league career in Cleveland. Lifetime, he has a .302 batting average with 92 homers, 551 RBIs and 479 stolen bases in 1,366 games. He also played in Houston and Atlanta.

Last year, Lofton hit .261 with 14 HRs, 66 RBIs and 16 stolen in 133 games with the Indians.

"He put up very solid numbers in the second half of last season after battling a rib cage injury before the All-Star break," White Sox general manager Kenny Williams said at the team's annual fans convention in downtown Chicago where the signing was announced.

"Defensively he still has tremendous range and excellent speed," Williams said.

czalgosz
02-01-2002, 06:44 PM
So actually he'll be more expensive than Singleton was - unbelieveable.

cornball
02-01-2002, 07:28 PM
Are you thinking he is going to trim money elsewhere?

Vsahajpal
02-01-2002, 07:30 PM
February 1, 2002

CHICAGO (AP) -- Center fielder Kenny Lofton, a six-time All-Star, agreed Friday to a $1.25 million, one-year contract with the Chicago White Sox.

Lofton, 34, spent most of his 11-year major league career in Cleveland. He has a .302 career batting average with 92 homers, 551 RBIs and 479 stolen bases in 1,366 games. He also played in Houston and Atlanta.

Last year, Lofton hit .261 with 14 homers, 66 RBIs and 16 steals in 133 games with the Indians.

``He put up very solid numbers in the second half of last season after battling a rib cage injury before the All-Star break,'' White Sox general manager Kenny Williams said at the team's annual fans' convention. Defensively he still has tremendous range and excellent speed.''

Lofton can earn an additional $375,000 in performance bonuses and 1.4 million in bonuses based on the team's home attendance.

What kind of bonus is that!?! That's the strangest thing I've ever heard in relation to bonuses.

Jerry_Manuel
02-01-2002, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
What kind of bonus is that!?! That's the strangest thing I've ever heard in relation to bonuses.

:reinsy
Fans love speed, they'll come out to see Kenny run the bases.

czalgosz
02-01-2002, 07:36 PM

No, that actually makes sense. Kenny Lofton brings out more fans than Chris Singleton does. That would probably be the main reason they picked him up. From a baseball perspective, it's not a big deal, IMO.

This is interesting, now that I think about it - the Orioles, the White Sox, and the Indians have all swapped around their centerfielders for next season. Interesting...

nut_stock
02-02-2002, 12:00 AM
February 1, 2002

Lofton can earn an additional $375,000 in performance bonuses and 1.4 million in bonuses based on the team's home attendance.

I think its a clever little way of screwing Kenny out of a bonus. When do the Sox have good attendance? No disrespect to Lofton, but it would take a Pedro, Vlad, Arod, Bonds, R Johnson etc to signifigantly increase attendance on their own.

MisterB
02-02-2002, 12:37 AM

Maybe this attendance bonus is related to JR's 'we can't spend money because the fans won't come to the park' whine. We could see this kind of thing on more 'big' money Sox contracts in the future.