4/26 Jarrod Washburn (L)
5/2 C.C. Sabathia (L)
5/5 Scott Elarton (R)
5/10 Ervin Santana (R)
5/12 Johan Santana (L)
5/13 Brad Radke (R)
5/16 Scott Kazmir (L)
5/18 Mark Hendrickson (L)

Yikes! Look at how many lefties are in there. We're (unofficially) 6-9 against left-handed starters, as opposed to 20-5 against righties. Contrary to what's being said in the postgame thread, I don't think we struggle against bad teams. We are, however, struggling to beat left-handers.

samram
05-19-2006, 01:20 AM
Well, a few of those guys are really nasty, but Pods has been benched in several of those games, which hurts. Furthermore, neither Iguchi nor Thome has been great against lefties. Finally, a lefty on the mound often means AJ is out of the lineup. That means the team overall is weaker against lefties. However, if Iguchi improves a bit, I think they'll be fine.

That said, there are a lot of quality AL lefties. I almost wish the Sox were in the NL to beat up on that pile of crap league.

hawkjt
05-19-2006, 01:21 AM
Remember when everyone was so concerned about having too many right-handed hitters?

Seems like some of our righthanded hitters struggle more against leftys anyway.

Maybe these leftys just happen to be better pitchers.

Chicken Dinner
05-19-2006, 08:10 AM
I noticed this too. 9 of our 14 losses have been when the opposition starts a lefty. That's not too good.

southsideirish71
05-19-2006, 10:46 AM
I noticed this too. 9 of our 14 losses have been when the opposition starts a lefty. That's not too good.

When you face a lefty you take AJ who calls a great game, Calls lots of pitches in, keeps the pitching aggresive and you switch him with Widger who doesnt call alot of pitches in, and pretty much sits on the outside corner with away, away away.

Widgers CERA 6.23
AJs CERA 3.82

You also take AJs offense out of the mix, who is better than Widger.

soxinem1
05-19-2006, 10:52 AM
The record against LHSP is even stranger when you consider all the write ups the Sox have received because they have the best LHBP in Kevin Hickey, when other teams cannot find one worth a crap.

What this does mean is that Iguchi, Konerko, Crede, Uribe, and Dye as a group need to step it up a bit.

But in all fairness, several of those lefties did get bombed by us.

JB98
05-19-2006, 01:05 PM
The record against LHSP is even stranger when you consider all the write ups the Sox have received because they have the best LHBP in Kevin Hickey, when other teams cannot find one worth a crap.

What this does mean is that Iguchi, Konerko, Crede, Uribe, and Dye as a group need to step it up a bit.

But in all fairness, several of those lefties did get bombed by us.

It is true that we bombed Affeldt and Downs. We lost those games 11-7 and 13-7, respectively. But we've also had a couple of games where we won despite doing little against a lefty starter. The second time we faced Affeldt, we won 4-1 on three unearned runs. We needed a late run to slip past the Royals 3-2 in a game started by Mark Redman. Of course, the Thome HR was all we needed when we beat Santana.

Mainly, I raised this point to shoot down the theory that we struggle against bad teams. The common thread in these series losses to Seattle and Tampa Bay was the inability to hit left-handed pitching. Moyer, Washburn and Kazmir mowed us down. We had chances to put Hendrickson away, but failed to do so. I don't think we lost to Tampa because of a lack of intensity, as some seem to suggest. I just think we're in for a battle anytime the opposition trots out a left-handed starter.

Tekijawa
05-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Imagine what our record would be if we didn't have a Lefty Batting Practice pitcher like the Cubs!:D:

gobears1987
05-19-2006, 03:00 PM
The Flubs bat .190 against lefties so Buehrle will dominate today.

Fuller_Schettman
05-19-2006, 03:18 PM
You can bet team are starting to adjust their rotations to make sure to get one or both of their lefty starters to match up against us...