PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5-18-06 Tampa Bay really isn't that good Postgame Thread

PAPChiSox729
05-18-2006, 08:55 PM
Dropped 2 out of 3. Yikes.

JUribe1989
05-18-2006, 08:56 PM
I said yikes too in the gameday thread, but that's really all I can say after that. Yikes. Beating the Cubs 2 out of 3 would make up for it to me this weekend. Just don't lose the series.

Blueprint1
05-18-2006, 08:57 PM
I hate domes. Why do we have a night game tonight and a day game tomorrow.

MERPER
05-18-2006, 08:57 PM
BRUTAL... Who the hell loses 2 of 3 to the DEVIL RAYS? That's right, we do.... second place and maybe never regaining first.... the way we've played the past week I wouldn't be shocked if we lose 2 of 3 to the Cubs this weekend and were 3 out....
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

California Sox
05-18-2006, 08:58 PM
Either Vazquez has to grow some stones or Ozzie's got to make him a six inning pitcher.

For all his great stuff he's 4-3 4.08 and has given up a crooked number in an inning in like half his starts.

QCIASOXFAN
I said yikes too in the gameday thread, but that's really all I can say after that. Yikes. Beating the Cubs 2 out of 3 would make up for it to me this weekend. Just don't lose the series. This game sucked! I think we should sweep the stupid Cubs, I see no reason why we can't.

JB98
We just don't play well in that silly dome. And we don't hit left-handers all that well. The Sox are now 6-9 when the opposition sends a lefty to the bump. It's mystifying.

PAPChiSox729
BRUTAL... Who the hell loses 2 of 3 to the DEVIL RAYS? That's right, we do.... second place and maybe never regaining first.... the way we've played the past week I wouldn't be shocked if we lose 2 of 3 to the Cubs this weekend and were 3 out....

The Sox will take care of business this weekend. No worries.

MUsoxfan

Ummm....the Yankees often lose series to Tampa.

chisoxmike
Un ****ing believeable!

I leave my TV for 10 minutes and the game gets ****ing blown the **** up!
Not many losses piss me off...this one does. This is a game we should've won. Really pathetic tonight.

:hawk
"This goes down as one of the 42."

skobabe8
05-18-2006, 08:59 PM
House of Horrors, Jr. behind Oakland. Quick turnaround tomorrow. Lets start a new streak.

Blueprint1

I thought I over reacted to losses.

JB98

We're not playing well, and it's frustrating. But I wouldn't worry about us never regaining first. We'll get it going again. Hopefully, against the Cubs. We need to pitch better than we did on this trip.

ilsox7

Good to see a Dark Cloud roll in.

Get a clue.

RadioheadRocks
TB seems to always have our number for some strange reason, but they also did a great job playing spoiler against Cleveland that last week in September, so apparently we're not the only ones who have trouble vs. the D-Rays.

MUsoxfan
05-18-2006, 09:00 PM
I've come to expect that the Sox will lose the last game of every series. Nothing good could come out of Ozuna in LF

mjmcend
05-18-2006, 09:01 PM

Didn't we go through this last year with the Indians. The Tigers cannot stay this hot and we won't stay this bad. Some of you people have no prospective or any grasp of the bigger picture at all.

MERPER
05-18-2006, 09:02 PM
Sorry, this one just frustrates me... we go and get a guy like Vazquez to specifically lead us to wins against a guy like Mark Hendrickson and the D'Rays and we screw it up.. now we go home and have a real quick turnaround for the first game of an emotional series....

Law11
05-18-2006, 09:03 PM
Javy should have been yanked after the homer to Rollins...
And definitely after the next batter gets a base hit...

We knew we'd be in a tight race this year who'd a thunk it would be with the Tigers...

Our pitching better gets its act together... For a Dominating staff we have
hardly looked like it in the past 2 weeks..

But I look at t it like this . It took a 7 game win streak by Detroit to get a game lead on us... The'll cool off.

.... I hope.

santo=dorf
Sox lost 2 out of 3 in that **** dome last season. How'd that work out again?

bigsqwert
I've come to expect that the Sox will lose the last game of every series. Nothing good could come out of Ozuna in LFHe looked better out there than Pods tonight.

SluggersAway
Some of you people have no prospective or any grasp of the bigger picture at all.

What they need is not "prospective" but, perspective.

oeo
05-18-2006, 09:04 PM
Wow, you can't be serious...never regain first? Some of you need a reality check that the Tigers are NOT the best team in baseball...their record may indicate it right now, but we are a better team and we will beat them.

You seriously couldn't have thought that we were going to be in first all season, could you? It's alright, the Tigers are not going to win every game and we are the better team. Relax, it's May 18th, and we're one game out of the best record in baseball.

If you haven't realized it yet, we're not playing well right now (AND the Tigers are, they will hit a tough streak, as well)...no need to get angry about it. It's like the first 5 games all over again, and you will be right back after they win 8 in a row.

chisoxmike
05-18-2006, 09:05 PM

I'm pissed about this one too, but that is going a bit too far.

JUribe1989
05-18-2006, 09:06 PM
Everyone:

The Tigers will come back to Earth. They will not be there in the end. I'm saying this right now and you should really believe me. Their rotation will not stay this good and everyone should know that. Their closer Todd Jones always brings the winning run to the plate basically. The offense is incredibly streaky, and they are playing the Twins and the Royals quite a bit. The Sox will regain first soon enough and the Tigers will lose 2 out of 3 this weekend to the Reds. I guarantee it.

hi im skot

give me a break.

JB98

We knew we'd be in a tight race this year who'd a thunk it would be with the Tigers...

But I look at t it like this . It took a 7 game win streak by Detroit to get a game lead on us... The'll cool off.

.... I hope.

I agree that Vazquez should have gotten a quicker hook. I said "pull him" in the game thread right after Lugo singled. That RBI triple by Crawford sure looks big now, doesn't it?

LuvSox
05-18-2006, 09:07 PM

:darkcloud:

Dick Allen
You cannot lose 2 of 3 to Tampa Bay. You cannot lose 2 of 3 to Tampa Bay. Repeat after me....

I don't care where the friggin game is being played.

soxwon
Wow, you can't be serious...never regain first? Some of you need a reality check that the Tigers are NOT the best team in baseball...their record may indicate it right now, but we are a better team and we will beat them.

You seriously couldn't have thought that we were going to be in first all season, could you? It's alright, the Tigers are not going to win every game and we are the better team. Relax, it's May 18th, and we're one game out of the best record in baseball.

If you haven't realized it yet, we're not playing well right now...no need to get angry about it. It's like the first 5 games all over again, and you will be right back after they win 8 in a row.

your right- im very disapointed with the sox in tampa
and det is not the best in baseball
thats why they play 162 games-the season evens out.
its just frustrating, to see us lose.
we will comeback tommorow.
go sox.

Law11
It took a 7 game win streak by them to get a 1 game lead....

But it would be nice for these guys to get on their own 5 or 6 game streak...

ilsox7
05-18-2006, 09:08 PM
You cannot lose 2 of 3 to Tampa Bay. You cannot lose 2 of 3 to Tampa Bay. Repeat after me....

Except, you can! Exhibit A: The 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox.

CubsfansareDRUNK
Quick, We need Jose!

infohawk
Well folks, we lost two out of three at the Trop last year too. In fact, we lost two in a row to the D-Rays immediately after one of our eight game winning streaks. I never feel confident playing down there.

Eh, I'm not worried about it other than I would have liked to have begun the series with the Cubs coming off a win. Oh well!

I was comparing our record last year at this time to this year. We certainly had more wins, but I have to say that I don't think that the team as presently built will go into a mini-funk like last year right before we clinched.

What I'm saying is that, even though we haven't jumped out to a ridiculous lead like last year (although we have the second best record in baseball) I think this team will win between 95 and 100 this year. Last year we were on track for well over 100 wins. We "regressed" and ended up winning "only 99." I don't think we will regress like last year, but will steadily plod toward around 100 wins. I think we fall into the temptation of not fully appreciating that every year has a different dynamic.

Tragg
05-18-2006, 09:09 PM
Ozzie sure left Vasquez in there a long time.

It would be nice if Vasquez would start pitching at a level better than 5th starter.

HITMEN OF 77
05-18-2006, 09:09 PM
The worst part of this game was Jose Berman's announcing on ESPN 2.

oeo
05-18-2006, 09:10 PM

Everything evens out in the end, anyway. We will sweep good teams that we're not expecting to, and there will be bad teams that beat us too.

The Tigers aren't going to play like this all year, they're going to lose games just like this. They're playing well right now, over their heads if you ask me.

JB98
Except, you can! Exhibit A: The 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox.

Good point. I was just about to post that. You beat me to it. Also, the 2005 World Champs lost two of three to Kansas City IN SEPTEMBER. Sometimes, you lose to ****ty teams. That's why we shouldn't count any chickens when we talk about this Cubs series. Yes, they totally suck ass, but that's no guarantee we will beat them.

infohawk
Didn't we go through this last year with the Indians. The Tigers cannot stay this hot and we won't stay this bad. Some of you people have no prospective or any grasp of the bigger picture at all.
What's amazing is that "bad" play for us means we play .500 ball for a few games. Think about that.

Nellie_Fox
05-18-2006, 09:11 PM
The worst part of this game was Jose Berman's announcing on ESPN 2.Wasn't it brutal? A game between the Sox and DRays, and we get a long analysis of what Roger Clemens is going to do, and what are the chances he'll go back to the Sawx or Yanks.

About once a decade ESPN shows a game not involving Boston or New York but they make up for it by discussing both during said game.

oeo
05-18-2006, 09:11 PM

It would be nice if Vasquez would start pitching at a level better than 5th starter.
Uhm...did you miss the the ton of opportunities to score runs? Or was that just my imagination? Regardless of how many runs Vazquez gave up, they still should have won...they did not come up with the big hit, simple as that.

ilsox7
05-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Good point. I was just about to post that. You beat me to it. Also, the 2005 World Champs lost two of three to Kansas City IN SEPTEMBER. Sometimes, you lose to ****ty teams. That's why we shouldn't count any chickens when we talk about this Cubs series. Yes, they totally suck ass, but that's no guarantee we will beat them.

Yep. And another note: we are on pace to win 105 games AFTER a so-so 3-4 road trip. Pretty damn impressive.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-18-2006, 09:12 PM

Looks like Merper picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue...
:cool:

http://www.americanphoto.co.jp/pages/movie/HU/Previews/Plans-38527.jpg

santo=dorf
05-18-2006, 09:14 PM

Who's Vasquez?

/pet peeve

LongLiveFisk
05-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Ummm....the Yankees often lose series to Tampa.

Must frustrate the hell out of fans of teams like TB and KC..."we can beat the White Sox and the Yankees, so why do we suck ass against everyone else?" :tongue:

infohawk
05-18-2006, 09:15 PM
It's alright, the Tigers are not going to win every game and we are the better team. Relax, it's May 18th, and we're one game out of the best record in baseball.
I believe that the Tigers are a contender, but are not quite as good as their record and I say that with no disrespect to the Tigers. That said, they are a very good team that will be in the race for the rest of the year, but they will cool off a bit. After all, we did last year.

Tragg
05-18-2006, 09:17 PM
Uhm...did you miss the the ton of opportunities to score runs? Or was that just my imagination? Regardless of how many runs Vazquez scored, they still should have won...they did not come up with the big hit, simple as that.
I did see him pitch like a 5th starter, give away the lead in the 7th inning and throw 3 gopher balls.

infohawk
05-18-2006, 09:20 PM
I agree that Vazquez should have gotten a quicker hook. I said "pull him" in the game thread right after Lugo singled. That RBI triple by Crawford sure looks big now, doesn't it?
I agree with your sentiment, but I will also say that I give Ozzie the benefit of the doubt based upon our success last year. I remember how many of us questioned a ton of his moves last year (after all, it is fun to second guess the manager) and we won 99 games and a World Championship. I'm not saying we shouldn't discuss strategy or any disagreements, but if we were to integrate every post last year that questioned Ozzie on this or that, we could have published a book about how bad a manager Ozzie was.

Iguana775
05-18-2006, 09:21 PM
Losing 2 of 3 in TB last year sure hurt the Sox.

TB isnt a bad team. They have some good young talent.

The only thing that pissed me off about the game was freaking Berman calling Juan Uribe, JOSE Uribe. ***? I'm surprised he actually Iguchi's name right.

mjmcend
05-18-2006, 09:22 PM
What they need is not "prospective" but, perspective.

Good call. Been a long day at work.

JB98
05-18-2006, 09:24 PM
I agree with your sentiment, but I will also say that I give Ozzie the benefit of the doubt based upon our success last year. I remember how many of us questioned a ton of his moves last year (after all, it is fun to second guess the manager) and we won 99 games and a World Championship. I'm not saying we shouldn't discuss strategy or any disagreements, but if we were to integrate every post last year that questioned Ozzie on this or that, we could have published a book about how bad a manager Ozzie was.

True. My thought was, why did he have Thornton warming up if he wasn't going to bring him in to face Crawford? The reason you get a left-handed reliever up is to get a key out like that.

oeo
05-18-2006, 09:24 PM
I did see him pitch like a 5th starter, give away the lead in the 7th inning and throw 3 gopher balls.
He's not a fifth starter? :?:

I saw the Sox offense score only 4 runs against a guy that has been crushed at his home park. In addition to that, I saw a ton of blown opportunities to score runs and a non-productive 9th inning. Should Javy get some of the blame? Of course. Should he be getting it all? Nope.

It takes a whole team to win a game, and a whole team to lose one too.

SluggersAway
05-18-2006, 09:25 PM
Wasn't it brutal?...About once a decade ESPN shows a game not involving Boston or New York but they make up for it by discussing both during said game.

This was unbelievable. They spent almost every moment discussing some other topic in baseball besides the game at hand.

"Blah blah blah, oh by the way a hit out to right and Dye is there for the catch, blah blah blah."

Luckily, thanks to Extra Innings I was able to switch to Hawk and DJ. By the third inning I just couldn't take it.

Iguana775
05-18-2006, 09:25 PM
Rowand would have had that Crawford 3B!!

ShoelessJoeS
05-18-2006, 09:26 PM
So I guess I should be glad that I just got home from work and missed the whole game, right?

infohawk
05-18-2006, 09:26 PM
Rowand would have had that Crawford 3B!! Ditka would have had it too!

Iguana775
05-18-2006, 09:27 PM
Dikta would have had it too!

Ditka would have pitched a perfect game with 27 K's! :bandance:

Viva Medias B's
05-18-2006, 09:33 PM
No reason to be a dark cloud. We are still the best team in baseball (yet alone the AL Central), and Detroit will fade. However, at the same time, I am not going to be an excuse maker. I think we generally played like crap during this road trip. I am sick and tired of seeing us leave men on base and not capitalizing on key opportunities.

*feeling like OB after a bad Bears loss*

spiffie
Everyone:

The Tigers will come back to Earth. They will not be there in the end. I'm saying this right now and you should really believe me. Their rotation will not stay this good and everyone should know that. Their closer Todd Jones always brings the winning run to the plate basically. The offense is incredibly streaky, and they are playing the Twins and the Royals quite a bit. The Sox will regain first soon enough and the Tigers will lose 2 out of 3 this weekend to the Reds. I guarantee it.
We've been playing them just as much. 19 out of 40 of our games have been against KC, MN, or TB.

This isn't a dark cloud post. I believe we will win this division. But it is kind of funny to see pretty much the exact same things being said about the Tigers this year that got us so pissed off when we read them about our team last year. Sometimes guys get it together, especially when a good manager takes over, and I think that's what you're seeing in Detroit this year. I'm not scared of them, I'm not pissing my pants in fear of them, but I'm looking at them and not expecting them to be far off of us 120 games from now.

Bobbo35

Talk about flying off the deep end!! Relax there buddy everything will be fine. You have to remember it is May, not September. The Sox have never played well in that crap hole.

JB98
05-18-2006, 09:44 PM
No reason to be a dark cloud. We are still the best team in baseball (yet alone the AL Central), and Detroit will fade. However, at the same time, I am not going to be an excuse maker. I think we generally played like crap during this road trip. I am sick and tired of seeing us leave men on base and not capitalizing on key opportunities.

*feeling like OB after a bad Bears loss*

It wasn't a good trip, but if 3-4 is our bad trip, we're luckier than most. Last night's game and Garcia's game in Minnesota were the only two of the seven where we played well.

Lip Man 1
05-18-2006, 09:52 PM
I for one simply don't buy into the 'Detroit will fade' philosophy. These guys aren't the Orioles folks, they have talent and they have a manager with something to prove after he basically quit in his job with the Rockies.

I'm bothered by two things...that the Sox continue to lose games to suckass teams like the Devil Rays, Mariners and Royals. So far HALF of the total of 14 losses has come against that garbage and there is simply NO EXCUSE for it...none.

Remember Detroit in 2003, nine losses to one of the worst teams in the history of baseball.

The second thing is this is the 5th time this friggin' season these guys have lost games when taking a lead into the 7th inning or later. Again that's inexcusable.

:angry:

These games can't be replayed gang.....come September we may be saying 'if only...'

Lip

MUsoxfan
05-18-2006, 09:54 PM
I for one simply don't buy into the 'Detroit will fade' philosophy. These guys aren't the Orioles folks, they have talent and they have a manager with something to prove after he basically quit in his job with the Rockies.

I'm bothered by two things...that the Sox continue to lose games to suckass teams like the Devil Rays, Mariners and Royals. So far HALF of the total of 14 losses has come against that garbage and there is simply NO EXCUSE for it...none.

Remember Detroit in 2003, nine losses to one of the worst teams in the history of baseball.

The second thing is this is the 5th time this friggin' season these guys have lost games when taking a lead into the 7th inning or later. Again that's inexcusable.

These games can't be replayed gang.....come September we may be saying 'if only...'

Lip

Over-react much?:rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
05-18-2006, 09:55 PM
MU Sox:

Under the circumstances I don't think so...UNDERREACT MUCH?

:rolleyes:

Lip

kcsportscaster
05-18-2006, 09:56 PM

.... I hope.

Ozzie should have pulled Vazquez BEFORE the bottom of the 7th began and had Thornton pitch two innings. I could tell when the inning started that Vazquez started to lose it, especially when I saw that the pitch count was over 100. However, the Sox had several chances to put the game away with several runners on base before the 7th, but they couldn't get most of those baserunners in!!!! Plus, in the top of the 9th, I felt Thome should have dropped a bunt down the 3rd base line with the overshift the Devil Rays used against him, especially with their 3rd baseman moving back into left field. Why not try that late in a close game with the overshift in place???? In reality, the only non-unnerving part of the game was NOT having to listen to fatass Berman because the cable system in northwest Florida seen at the radio station where I work offered the FSN-Florida telecast with Dewayne Staats and Joe Magrane and had ESPN2 blacked out.

Let's forget about this one and sweep the ****bags eight miles north this weekend!!!!

JB98
05-18-2006, 09:59 PM

Lip

Lip, we lost games to garbage clubs last year too. As we've already stated in this thread, we dropped two of three in Tampa last season too. And we lost five of our final eight head-to-head meetings with Kansas City, IIRC. At one point, we were 10-0 against the Royals. We finished 13-5.

Believe it or not, we are not the only club to lose to **** teams. Cleveland is 4-5 against the Royals this year.

I do agree that Detroit isn't going anywhere. I'm not worried about the Tigers because I believe we are the better team. But shame on us if we're expecting them to swirl down the toilet. People said the same about us last year. Have we forgotten where we came from?

MUsoxfan
05-18-2006, 10:02 PM
MU Sox:

Lip

Losses will happen. It's an imperfect world. The Sox lost to TB, KC and Seattle last year and multiple games to each of those teams. I don't need to remind you what the end result was

Parrothead
05-18-2006, 10:04 PM
MU Sox:

Lip

I am with you, LIP......:thumbsup:

ShoelessJoeS
05-18-2006, 10:08 PM
MU Sox:

LipI agree too. Even though it is only May, every game matters. Anually, teams miss the playoffs by 1 or 2 games, this is nothing new.

Gavin
05-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Jose Uribe

That's all I'm going to say.

chisoxmike
05-18-2006, 10:10 PM
I think too many people look at this team with rose-colored glasses while drinking Kool-Aid.

While I don't think the Sox are heading into a meltdown and will start fading away, I do think this team has weaknesses that are being exposed, namely the pitching staff. They are not as good as last year in terms of keeping leads late in games and keeping focus, you also never know what you are going to get out of the bullpen...it is extremely inconsistent...that isn't good. We've seen what that can do. The Sox have also been stranding many runners.

Hopefully things will correct themselves. The schedule isn't getting any easier.

3 against the Cubs, 3 against Oakland, 3 in Toronto, 4 in Cleveland then home for 3 against Texas, big 3 games against the Tigers and 3 against the Indians.

Gavin
05-18-2006, 10:12 PM
Wasn't it brutal? A game between the Sox and DRays, and we get a long analysis of what Roger Clemens is going to do, and what are the chances he'll go back to the Sawx or Yanks.

About once a decade ESPN shows a game not involving Boston or New York but they make up for it by discussing both during said game.

The best part was when Berman sure as hell knew who Iguchi was...

cue "Ohhhhh noooooooooooooo!"

Viva Medias B's
05-18-2006, 10:28 PM
Jose Uribe

That's all I'm going to say.

Jose Uribe? The former San Francisco Giant?

RadioheadRocks
05-18-2006, 10:31 PM
Jose Uribe? The former San Francisco Giant?

Also known as Jose Gonzalez... that's the one!

ndu3t4
05-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Someone on this board said that the thing about these trash teams is that everyone that loses to them has a better record. We're not the only ones, people.

Also, I don't blame Ozzie for leaving Javy in, if he goes to the pen and Thorton craps himself, then we're juumping on him for doing that. Had Javy gotten out of it, it's a genius move.

Lets beat up on the Cubs and take first back.

Lip Man 1
05-18-2006, 10:44 PM
NDU:

Then the question is HOW MANY games are say divisional rivals, losing to these dregs? And is it more or less then the Sox?

Like I said 50% of the team losses have come against these triple A teams. Those are the teams you beat to death.

I'd like someone to come up with an explanation for this (hopefully a rational one :D: )

Lip

thomas35forever
05-18-2006, 10:47 PM
I don't think we take the crappy teams seriously enough. That's what happens in the NBA: teams don't really start playing until the playoffs.

Let's take our frustrations out on the Cubbies and sweep 'em this weekend.

ilsox7
05-18-2006, 10:52 PM
I don't think we take the crappy teams seriously enough. That's what happens in the NBA: teams don't really start playing until the playoffs.

Let's take our frustrations out on the Cubbies and sweep 'em this weekend.

*****. That's 100% bull****. You have nothing to back that up, and you know it. I would LOVE for you to say that to Ozzie's face just to see him go off on you.

Listen, it was a so-so road trip. That happens to EVERY team in baseball, even the best ones. Why people cannot get that through their minds is beyond me at this point. If the Sox play like this for the next few weeks, is it cause for concern? You're damn right it is. But for people to be making the outlandish and stupid statements they are in this thread is insane.

You people live for weeks like this so you can come here and spew your doom and gloom. Do any of you sit back, relax, and ever enjoy a baseball game? Ever? Anyone?

MUsoxfan
05-18-2006, 10:55 PM
Like I said 50% of the team losses have come against these triple A teams. Those are the teams you beat to death.

That's true. But there's a reason why teams like TB and KC will take teams like the Sox, Red Sox and Yanks to the woodshed at times. Not every game is necessarily a huge game for our players but they're the biggest games for their players. Tampa and KC are giving their ALL against top-tier teams. The Sox give their all to top-tier teams as well.....and we generally beat them. It's hard to be at 100% for 162+ games per year. Every team this season will likely beat the Sox at least twice

goon
05-18-2006, 10:56 PM
i'm not going to freak out about tonight's loss, that is for sure. though i will say, even though history shows the white sox medicority at tropicana, they need to start taking games against teams they should beat, a little more serious, just a little bit. and ozzie should have yanked vazquez.

but i did pull one idea from this game!

let's put a giant ****ing metal budweiser sign behind home plate and beat the **** out of it everytime the sox have a good play or a run crosses home because US Cellular just isn't obnoxious enough without one. talk about annoying.

goon
05-18-2006, 10:59 PM
oh, and boo everytime the ump calls a ball, no matter how accurate he maybe. talk about miserable fans.

thomas35forever
05-18-2006, 11:03 PM
*****. That's 100% bull****. You have nothing to back that up, and you know it. I would LOVE for you to say that to Ozzie's face just to see him go off on you.

I only said that because someone on this thread said we always play poorly against "triple A" teams.

mike squires
05-18-2006, 11:03 PM
What's worse than losing 2 out of 3 to the Rays? Attending both losses!!!

ilsox7
05-18-2006, 11:04 PM

It's all your fault! Forget about Ozzie being a horrible manager and our hitters failing with runners on and our pitching not doing well, it's YOUR fault!

BeviBall!
05-18-2006, 11:06 PM
Fact: The Sox are defending champs and have a huge target on their backs.
Fact: For teams like TB and SEA... these series are their 'stars on the calendar'. We're gonna see everyone's best starters/efforts all season long.
Fact: The Sox have the second best record in baseball in mid-May.

These tussels will benefit us tremendously come October.

chisoxmike
05-18-2006, 11:07 PM

Yeah, I hear ya. I went to the 3 games in KC in April. Horrible. Did you have Devil Rays fans giving you **** as you walked out?

I won't even repeat some of the stupid **** I heard yelled at me walking out of Kauffman. Some of it would get me banned!:o:

ilsox7
05-18-2006, 11:08 PM
I only said that because someone on this thread said we always play poorly against "triple A" teams.

Like I said, there is absolutely no proof to back it up. That's why I called it bull****.

Don't mind me, I just get sick of people who bitch and moan at every turn, then the one occasion they are right, they say, "I told you so!" These are the same folks that had to be talked off the ledge last year and on October 26, 2005 all said, "I never stopped believing! They had it all the way."

sullythered
05-18-2006, 11:15 PM
RELAX dark clouds, we ALWAYS play poorly in Tampa. I think a lot of us got a little spoiled last year. We weren't going wire to wire again. (please don't reply with "we weren't in first for the first week," you know what I mean.) The Tigers are on fire right now, and we're playing a little under ourselves. This team is very good, and very good under pressure. We all said this was gonna be a tough division to win... and we have the most dominant pitcher in baseball coming back on Sunday.

oeo
05-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Like I said, there is absolutely no proof to back it up. That's why I called it bull****.

Don't mind me, I just get sick of people who bitch and moan at every turn, then the one occasion they are right, they say, "I told you so!" These are the same folks that had to be talked off the ledge last year and on October 26, 2005 all said, "I never stopped believing! They had it all the way."
It will never change. They have a few bad games, and everyone is angry. They win a few and we're the best team to ever hit organized baseball. It's actually pretty ridiculous...

If we have the lead back by the end of the weekend (which I think we will), the, "I love this team," posts will be right back.

Take it one game at a time people, some of you are acting like we're 10 games out of first.

ilsox7
05-18-2006, 11:17 PM
It will never change. They have a few bad games, and everyone is angry. They win a few and we're the best team to ever hit organized baseball. It's actually pretty ridiculous...

If we have the lead back by the end of the weekend (which I think we will), the, "I love this team," posts will be right back.

It's a damn good thing our players don't go on the roller coaster ride that many around here do. As for me, I am looking forward to taking in a ballgame Saturday afternoon and enjoying the experience.

sullythered
05-18-2006, 11:21 PM
It's a damn good thing our players don't go on the roller coaster ride that many around here do. As for me, I am looking forward to taking in a ballgame Saturday afternoon and enjoying the experience.

Yeah, I'm very excited about being there on Friday and Saturday. Taking in the experience, and enjoying watching the cubbie faithful watch the World Series Montage.

You would think that winning a championship would soothe some of the angst.

Lip Man 1
05-18-2006, 11:23 PM
ILSOX:

Well then these numbers should satisfy your contention about not having proof.

More numbers that make you go 'huh?' (then vomit...)

The White Sox have played 17 games against the (arguably three of the worst teams in MLB) Mariners, Devil Rays and Royals.

Their record?

A less then stellar 10-7!

And it gets worse.....

In FOUR of those seven losses the Sox had the lead in the 7th inning or later and blew the game! (4/8, 4/24, 5/5, 5/18) and they almost blew a fifth game on 5/3 but were saved by Ozuna's home run.

Boy those standings sure look a lot different if the Sox are 14-3 against those clubs doesn't it?

Perhaps you have an answer for this.

Perhaps it is in fact, 'lack of focus,' 'lack of killer instinct.' I certainly can't come up with any other reason why the World Champs have issues with this triple A garbage.

Also me thinks Javier Vasquez has contracted a bad case of the Jon Garland 'cranial-rectal inversion' big inning flu.

Lip

ilsox7
05-18-2006, 11:25 PM
Yeah, I'm very excited about being there on Friday and Saturday. Taking in the experience, and enjoying watching the cubbie faithful watch the World Series Montage.

You would think that winning a championship would soothe some of the angst.

Not only the championship, but the attitude of the organization. This team comes to the ballpark every day and plays hard. Sure, sometimes they suck. But the vast majority of the time, the mistakes they make are physical mistakes. Very rarely do you see mental implosions of the order Boone suffered the other day. This team is talented and plays hard.

And I simply cannot wait until Saturday. I am taking my good friend as part of his wedding gift. He is a Cub fan. A good Cub fan. But I surely will enjoy putting on my World Championship T-shirt and hat a little more Saturday morning. And, of course, getting in the obligatory, "See, that's a World Championship Banner" comment in as we settle in our seats.

mike squires
05-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Yeah, I hear ya. I went to the 3 games in KC in April. Horrible. Did you have Devil Rays fans giving you **** as you walked out?

I won't even repeat some of the stupid **** I heard yelled at me walking out of Kauffman. Some of it would get me banned!:o:

Actually, I found all Devil Ray fans pretty respectful. The nedneck I talked about in my previous thread called me a suck ass, but I know he was just playing around and I took it in jest. What I did see were some pretty dejected Sox fans. Once in the tunnels most of the moods were more positive. There were a lot of Let"s sweep the cubs high fiving going on. I gave some shout outs to whitesoxinteractive and told them to take a look at it. They always look at me like I'm a little crazy or something and they say they will. Not sure if they do. I gotta say though, my Fisk jersey got a lot of attention. Old men, pretty girls...it was great. I wonder if it was the shirt. Maybe I'll burn it.

sullythered
05-18-2006, 11:28 PM
Lip

Bright side, we're 16-7 against all those not-crappy teams. And 3-0 against the Tigers.

Plus, we may be 2nd in the Division right now, but we've also got the second best record in the majors. We're not exactly crapping the bed.

ilsox7
05-18-2006, 11:31 PM
ILSOX:

Well then these numbers should satisfy your contention about not having proof.

More numbers that make you go 'huh?' (then vomit...)

The White Sox have played 17 games against the (arguably three of the worst teams in MLB) Mariners, Devil Rays and Royals.

Their record?

And it gets worse.....

In FIVE of those seven losses the Sox had the lead in the 7th inning or later and blew the game! (4/5, 4/8, 4/24, 5/5, 5/18) and they almost blew a sixth game on 5/3 but were saved by Ozuna's home run.

Boy those standings sure look a lot different if the Sox are 15-2 against those clubs doesn't it?

Perhaps you have an answer for this. The only blown games this season by the Sox have come against these bad teams.

Perhaps it is in fact, 'lack of focus,' 'lack of killer instinct.' I certainly can't come up with any other reason why the World Champs have issues with this triple A garbage.

Also me thinks Javier Vasquez has contracted a bad case of the Jon Garland 'cranial-rectal inversion' big inning flu.

Lip
Or maybe the Sox have a target on their backs and these ****ty teams play harder against them. Or maybe the Sox just played some bad baseball those days. Whatever the reason is, I really do not care. The team is playing baseball at a .650 clip after a so-so week in the middle of May.

Are there problems that need to be addressed? Sure. And they will be addressed. But point to one other team in baseball you'd rather be. There is no one. The Sox are in the best position of any team in baseball right now. They have a VERY good record and haven't even clicked on all cylinders. How must it feel to be the Tigers? They've essentially been perfect, yet they hold only a 1 game lead and are 0-3 versus the team only a single game behind them.

Or how about the Yankees and Red Sox? You could drive a semi-truck through the holes each of those teams have. The general point is that the Sox are in good shape. Sit back and enjoy it. I can understand pent up rage and angst when the organization and team suck. Most of that was justified from 2001-2004 and the post-strike years. However, things HAVE changed. This team is a joy to watch. How often do you see your #3 hitter and best slugger legging out an infield hit against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays? That's the sort of thing I enjoy. And with this team, I think you'd be a fool not to sit back and enjoy it, especially when you've won 65% of your games.

RadioheadRocks
05-18-2006, 11:32 PM
Bright side, we're 16-7 against all those not-crappy teams. And 3-0 against the Tigers.

Plus, we may be 2nd in the Division right now, but we've also got the second best record in the majors. We're not exactly crapping the bed.

Exactly... you can spin the statistics any way you want... bottom line we're still 26-14 and only one game behind the Tigers.

Lip Man 1
05-18-2006, 11:36 PM
ILSOX:

Then I certainly hope those crappy teams decide to play just as hard against the Tigers. So far I guess they haven't...Detroit is 7-0 against the same junk teams we're 10-7 with. Plus they are 7-2 versus the Twins. We're 5-2.

I understand your point and it is valid. It just galls me to no end to lose games to this refuse and the WAY the Sox are doing it pisses me off even more.

I lived through 1964 when the Sox lost a chance for the World Series by one game. I'd rather not go through that agony again.

And with respect I enjoy winning at the end of the day more then I enjoy Jim legging out an infield hit.

Lip

MUsoxfan
05-18-2006, 11:43 PM
Then I certainly hope those crappy teams decide to play just as hard against the Tigers. So far I guess they haven't...Detroit is 7-0 against the same junk teams we're 10-7 with. Plus they are 7-2 versus the Twins. We're 5-2.

Look at those numbers again, Lip. You're arguing records when we've played MORE games against those teams than the Tigers. It's not totally unreasonable that the Tigers will be in the exact same postion after they play 10 more games against those junk teams

Lip Man 1
05-18-2006, 11:45 PM
MU:

So far it hasn't seemed to bother Detroit has it? Perhaps it will change...perhaps it won't. If it doesn't, we're pissing away chances aren't we?

Lip

ilsox7
05-18-2006, 11:45 PM
ILSOX:

I understand your point and it is valid. It just galls me to no end to lose games to this refuse and the WAY the Sox are doing it pisses me off even more.

I lived through 1964 when the Sox lost a chance for the World Series by one game. I'd rather not go through that agony again.

Lip

Understood. I just look at it as the Sox going through a tough patch of games. All teams go through that no matter who they play. Now, if we're sitting here on June 18th and talking about being 6 games out of 1st and playing poorly, then that would have my attention more. But with the best pitcher in baseball due back, an energizing home series on-deck, and an extremely talented team, I feel good about things.

MUsoxfan
05-18-2006, 11:47 PM
MU:

So far it hasn't seemed to bother Detroit has it? Perhaps it will change...perhaps it won't. If it doesn't, we're pissing away chances aren't we?

Lip

You're arguing a 7-2 record vs. a 5-2 record? Come on now....:rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
05-18-2006, 11:49 PM
ILSOX:

Agreed. I hope you understand my reasons for feeling the way I do.

It is interesting that this tough stretch started immediately after Jose went on the DL for that minor injury. All the more reason the bullpen has to be remedied.

By the way in the 'ask Mark Gonzales' a Sox question in the Tribune tonight by far the most questions concern the bullpen and (here's some good news...) Mark states the Sox have begun looking for answers outside of the organization.

It's about damn time.

Lip

Lip Man 1
05-18-2006, 11:50 PM
Um no MU... come on you're smarter then that (at least I think so...)

Try 10-7 versus 7-0.

Thank you.

Lip

mike squires
05-18-2006, 11:50 PM
Wow, you know it's serious when we get the tomato award after a loss to the Devil Rays.

MUsoxfan
05-18-2006, 11:57 PM
Um no MU... come on you're smarter then that (at least I think so...)

Try 10-7 versus 7-0.

Thank you.

Lip

No. This is what you were arguing.....

Plus they are 7-2 versus the Twins. We're 5-2.

You're right about the records. I don't think a 2 game difference with 2 more games played on their side is anything even Chicken Little would worry about

ilsox7
05-18-2006, 11:58 PM
ILSOX:

Agreed. I hope your understand my reasons for feeling the way I do.

It is interesting that this tough stretch started immediately after Jose went on the DL for that minor injury. All the more reason the bullpen has to be remedied.

By the way in the 'ask Mark Gonzales' a Sox question in the Tribune tonight by far the most questions concern the bullpen and (here's some good news...) Mark states the Sox have begun looking for answers outside of the organization.

It's about damn time.

Lip

I understand where you're coming from. I would just implore you to do your best to sit back and enjoy what we've been given: a World Championship baseball team and a chance to be VERY good for the foreseeable future. That's something no Sox fan has had the opportunity of seeing for many decades.

As for the bullpen, I'd be shocked if it was not addressed. Since good bullpen guys are tough to come by, I am realistically hoping we can find one good one, send Boone down, and essentially bump everyone down a spot in the pen. I'd feel good about Jenks closing, with Cotts and a new guy setting up and Brandon as the long guy. That'd leave Cliff and Matt for mostly clean-up work, unless they prove otherwise. I would be comfortable that that would provide us what we need to get to the playoffs. Once there, we all know things change as a starter goes to the pen, giving us some more depth for the month of October.

While the bullpen is an issue that needs to be dealt with, it really is our only glaring problem. Sure, the starters need to pick thigns up a bit, but I think that is partially a function of having such a good offense. The guys feel like they have the luxury to work through some things b/c of the offensive support they are receiving. I just have confidence that as the season unfolds, they will be pitching up to expectations.

SoxFanPrope
05-19-2006, 12:04 AM
I'm really getting tired of hearing about the big bad Tigers. It is not like we are going to drop straight out of the race, we are going to keep pace if not surpass Detroit. Let's worry about them more when we actually play them.

I really think us Sox fans have been spoiled by last year and the very hot start we had. We can be a dynasty, but that does not mean we're going to win 100+ games, or more, every single season!

Tommorow might be rough against the Cubs but I don't see any major troubles and whatever is bother the team can be corrected against the Cubs. This can be argued but the D-Rays can be considered a better team then the Cubs, we're playing them at home with our top 3 starting pitchers, why worry??

JimRivera
05-19-2006, 12:27 AM
I remember driving past this dome when it was a circle in the dirt and Big Jim Thompson was trying to work something out so the SOX wouldn't leave town and move there. I was a huge Harold Baines fan but I recall him saying he didn't care where he played...he just wanted to play somewhere...Chicago, Florida...it made no difference to him. I never forgot that...nor Ozzie's complaining about the old park, how he had to wade through a little water sometimes...well, I am just glad it ain't the St. Pete Sox ...man, that would SUCK!!!:tongue:

Deebs14
05-19-2006, 12:27 AM
Damn, I thought I could finally leave that POS without a sour taste in my mouth after a series! It never seems to fail down here for some reason...I guess The Trop is just Oakland-East. :angry:

I'm pretty ****ing pissed off and tired right now, so I really don't feel like getting into my complaints at the moment. An absolute beatdown this weekend will make me feel a hell of a lot better than I do right now.

Let's take it to those bastards tomorrow.

Nellie_Fox
05-19-2006, 01:34 AM
These are the same folks that had to be talked off the ledge last year and on October 26, 2005 all said, "I never stopped believing! They had it all the way."That is absolutely untrue. I spent a couple of days out on the ledge myself. I didn't see a single ledge-sitter claiming afterward that they knew it all along. I heaved a huge sigh of relief when the Sox finally slammed the door at the end, and I've never denied my moments of panic.

I grew up believing that whatever was going on for the Sox, you could not go wrong expecting it to take a turn for the worse. Fatalism was part of being a Sox fan. I'd like to believe that last year knocked it out of me, but there are still gremlins hiding in the dark recesses of my mind, whispering defeatist things to me.

Nellie_Fox
05-19-2006, 01:36 AM
It's a damn good thing our players don't go on the roller coaster ride that many around here do.It's a lot easier to get scared when you have absolutely no control over what's going on. That's the reason behind the fear of commercial flying; you are a powerless passenger. Every year, we are powerless passengers on the ride the Sox take us on.

ilsox7
05-19-2006, 02:07 AM
That is absolutely untrue. I spent a couple of days out on the ledge myself. I didn't see a single ledge-sitter claiming afterward that they knew it all along. I heaved a huge sigh of relief when the Sox finally slammed the door at the end, and I've never denied my moments of panic.

I grew up believing that whatever was going on for the Sox, you could not go wrong expecting it to take a turn for the worse. Fatalism was part of being a Sox fan. I'd like to believe that last year knocked it out of me, but there are still gremlins hiding in the dark recesses of my mind, whispering defeatist things to me.
I've seen plenty of people around here, whether it be in a signature, a post during the playoffs, or in the aftermath, professing they had faith the entire way. And many of those people were the ones absolutely losing it in game threads or post game threads. I could list some names that specifically stick out in my mind, but I won't.

It's a lot easier to get scared when you have absolutely no control over what's going on. That's the reason behind the fear of commercial flying; you are a powerless passenger. Every year, we are powerless passengers on the ride the Sox take us on.
Maybe that's the reason, but it still makes very little sense to me given the current state of the team. This team is damn good and has been for well over a calendar year now. I have no problem with the occasional screaming at the TV or over reacting post. But when it's the same people over and over again, whether it be a game thread or post-game thread or stupidly thought up off day thread, it's too much.

I've said it before, even in this thread, but I'll say it again. Look at the state of this team. No team in baseball is in a better position that the Chicago White Sox right now. Defending World Champions. Best record in the league for most of the year thus far. Vastly improved offense. Good pitching staff with the potential to be a great staff by the end of the year.

Yet, we still have people bitching and moaning on a daily basis. And then one bad week and people go crazy about every little thing. Apparently Ozzie is now a bad manager who always gets in trouble b/c he leaves his starters in too long. Or he mis-manages his bullpen on a nightly basis. Or we cannot come up with big hits in clutch situations. And yes, all of these things were said either tonight or in the last couple of days in either post game threads or game threads.

I'll be quiet now, as I try not to go on my Dark Cloud killing rampage too often, but I guess seeing Sox fans being embarrassed on a Marlins website earlier today set me off.

Enjoy the Cub series everyone. Hopefully we play some good baseball so the Dark Clouds can't say, "I told you so!"

Grzegorz
05-19-2006, 05:16 AM

Lip
I could not have said it better. The Tigers should not be expected to fade.

The overall pitching of the White Sox this year has been a huge disappointment. Buehrle needs a big game today. Not only for himself but for his team.

I don't care about the potential of the Devil Rays, the reality of it was that the Devil Rays were last in offense in the American League. I didn't look at their pitching in relation to the rest of the AL so I will not comment on their pitching. Note: are there any budding Steve Phillips out there that we can fleece?

"So far HALF of the total of 14 losses has come against that garbage and there is simply NO EXCUSE for it...none."

" The second thing is this is the 5th time this friggin' season these guys have lost games when taking a lead into the 7th inning or later. Again that's inexcusable."

These comments are so spot on that they have to be highlighted twice.

starboy0
05-19-2006, 05:36 AM
We simply got beat tonight. That happens. It's the first game of the series that we gave away.

santo=dorf
05-19-2006, 05:52 AM
Hey Lip!
The Angels and Twins have the same record as the D'rays. Why not include them in your numbers?

Oh right, it would be silly to argue against a 19-12 record. :rolleyes:

Bobbo35
05-19-2006, 06:57 AM
It's a lot easier to get scared when you have absolutely no control over what's going on. That's the reason behind the fear of commercial flying; you are a powerless passenger. Every year, we are powerless passengers on the ride the Sox take us on.

That is exactly right. We are just passengers on a ride, in which we have no control. People are going to have to realize that there are going to be points in the season that suck. Look at the misery Sox fans went through last year towards the end of the season. We are in May. How about last year when the Sox dropped 4 straight out west at about this time. The Sox have a good weekend (hopefully) and all this negativity will be out the window.

GO Sox!

soxfanatlanta
05-19-2006, 07:45 AM
I like the analogy, never thought of it that way.

Lip - I agree: there is a problem, but I'm sure KW is working on it.

I'm a bit pissed about the game last night, but these things happen. What really annoys me is that the rest of the league played their games in the afternoon while our guys had to jump a plane back to Chicago, and oh by the way, play a day game. Just a ****ty schedule, IMO. Hopefully, they will be pissed off and take out their frustrations on Maddux.

Go get 'em.

kwolf68
05-19-2006, 09:00 AM
Unless Detroit wins 105+ games they won't win this division if the Sox stay healthy.

Yes, last night was crappy. Tampa Bay made several errors and blunders and we still lost to them. Some teams just struggle against some other teams. It happens.

I do worry that this is Detroit's year. We all keep saying "Detroit won't keep this up, they are playing way over their head", but that sounds like what a lot of people were saying about the Sox last year.

However, the Sox are a better team than Detroit and I don't think the comparison is valid. The Sox can hit homers and manufacture runs...Detroit doesn't do much scoring unless the big bats are hitting.

Just hold the fort down....Jose is back Sunday as we sprint to the ASB...

batmanZoSo
05-19-2006, 09:20 AM
Man some of these posts are flat out pathetic. It's baseball. You play every day, you have slumps, you get beaten by lesser teams. It happens. How could you watch baseball year in and year out and still not realize that? Quit embarrassing the rest of us non-bipolars.

gobears1987
05-19-2006, 09:58 AM
I'm not too worried. I believe we dropped 2 of 3 there last year, including one to Nomo.

nsdjoe
05-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Dark-clouding has officially gotten out of control.

Even if we win 100 this year that means we will LOSE SIXTY-TWO.

Get used to it people, there are going to be plenty more losses against equally hopeless teams. It happened last year, and we won the World Series.

Jeez, some of you need to get a grip.

viagracat
05-19-2006, 10:18 AM
OK, the Sox seem to have their hands full against the "bottom-feeders". Not sure why, although said teams are MAJOR LEAGUE TEAMS that--I think--want to win. The best teams lose 60 a year, the worst win 60. It happens.

Nonetheless, I hope this trend does not continue against the bottom-feeders coming to the Cell this weekend. As hilarious as the "Airplane!" thread was after the KC loss early on, I don't want to see an "Airplane II-The Sequel" postgame thread. Not this weekend, anyway.

Go Sox.:bandance:

Tragg
05-19-2006, 10:34 AM
He's not a fifth starter? :?:
He's not supposed to be. You don't trade what we traded, you don't pay what he's earning for a fifth starter quality pitcher. I don't care where he sits numerically in the rotation.

alohafri
05-19-2006, 10:41 AM
I was watching Debra Messing...what happened?

SBSoxFan
05-19-2006, 11:09 AM
Vazquez's performance was a little Garland-esque don't you think? One crooked inning ruins an otherwise good game. Vazquez has been pitching this year the same as he has in the past --- lights out or bad, nothing in between. I trust Coop will get him straight by the second half and this team will have an insanely high winning % after the all-star break (even better than before it).

russ99
05-19-2006, 11:16 AM
And definitely after the next batter gets a base hit....

It's good that Ozzie left him in. It's that 7-inning rule that makes the Sox pitching staff so dominant, and takes pressure off the bullpen. This is Vazquez' first year with the Sox and turning Javy into a every game 7-inning pitcher will totally pay off in the long run.

Another interesting thing is that Vazquez is pitching much better at home than on the road, which is counter to all the massive Comiskey home run predictions for Javy before the season.

Also, without McCarthy, the Sox middle relief corps is looking REALLY shaky. I doubt that the three-headed monster (Logan, Montero and Thornton) could have done that much better that Vazquez at that point.

Is Jeff Nelson coming up soon? :smile:

His current (AAA) stats of: W:1, L:0, ERA:0.00 IP:4.1, H: 3, BB: 4, SO: 5 are looking pretty decent so far.

wassagstdu
05-19-2006, 11:17 AM
Never thought it would come this soon, but ...
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1105544#post1105544

CLR01
05-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Good to see a Dark Cloud roll in.

Get a clue.

Realist not Dark Cloud.

Lip Man 1
05-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Dorf:

Because the Angels and Twins actually have a little something called 'talent.'

Something totally lacking in St. Pete.

Lip

nsdjoe
05-19-2006, 12:50 PM
Dorf:

Because the Angels and Twins actually have a little something called 'talent.'

Something totally lacking in St. Pete.

Lip

Yeah, that Kazmir is a total hack.

Lip Man 1
05-19-2006, 12:56 PM
NSD:

One out of 25. Try again newbie.

Lip

MRM
05-20-2006, 05:21 PM

Wow! Don't you recall last years team? If the Sox won every game against the teams they "should" beat last year they'd have won 115 or so games. It happens. Look at their winning % against the Royals this year...before you get depressed look at their win % against the Tigers.

It's human nature to take it easy against the "team" you play that just isn't very good, same as it's human nature to try harder against the "team" that is good.

Ozzie keeps stressing this. Every team has major league players. It's up to the team to listen to him. Losing some games early to the Royals and Devil Rays is probably a GOOD thing. Gets the guys attention. Not every series is the Cubs for the players, ya know.

Lip Man 1
05-20-2006, 06:55 PM
MRM:

Champions don't 'take it easy' against anyone. Champions beat the brains out of triple A teams.

Ozzie himself admitted in the past few days in the newspaper, this year's team hasn't not taken the bad clubs seriously enough and it's an issue for him.

If it's an issue for Ozzie that's good enough for me.

Stop with the excuses on this point.

Lip