PDA

View Full Version : 2003 White Sox

thomas35forever
05-18-2006, 04:59 PM
This was a team I really admired. When they blew the division in mid-September, I realized I had truly become a Sox fan. What was your take on this team?

buehrle4cy05
05-18-2006, 05:24 PM
I have to admit that 2003 was a fun year...until September. That team's problem, IIRC, was inconsistency. They relied so heavily on power that they were unable to do the little things right (hitting runners over, bunting, etc.) that it eventually caught them in the end.

JB98
05-18-2006, 05:33 PM
This was a team I really admired. When they blew the division in mid-September, I realized I had truly become a Sox fan. What was your take on this team?

Underachievers. Pissed away too many games to a lowly Detroit team.

ewokpelts
05-18-2006, 05:44 PM
i had WS tickets for that season...and i never got to use them....to hell with 2003....best part was that we fired manuel, and hired ozzie

Gene

Daver
05-18-2006, 05:48 PM
The 2003 Sox?

Proof that Jerry Manuel was way over his head as a MLB manager. So much so that this had to be made.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/daver/shoot_the_dog%20copy.jpg

HotelWhiteSox
05-18-2006, 05:50 PM
All Star Game and Loaiza. From what I remember, we had that stupid 5th starter issue, PK had a horrible start, bad bullpen (Koch, Rick White, ewww), and Jerry Manuel. A high point I remember was being on a nice winning high, and then trading for Alomar and Everett after beating up on the Twins

Chips
05-18-2006, 05:55 PM
All Star Game and Loaiza. From what I remember, we had that stupid 5th starter issue, PK had a horrible start, bad bullpen (Koch, Rick White, ewww), and Jerry Manuel. A high point I remember was being on a nice winning high, and then trading for Alomar and Everett after beating up on the Twins

That 5th starter **** was driving me nuts. I only went to few games that year compared with about 15 from the year before, and a whole bunch in 2004, 2005 and this year.

It was an exciting team, just way too inconsistent.

samram
05-18-2006, 06:01 PM
That team could have made some noise in the playoffs if they had made it. However, they just had a lot of one or two dimensional players and their pitching fell apart after the second game against Minny at the Cell in September. Then the Twins just shoved it up their asses in Minny the next week.

The most infuriating thing about that season was the bumping of Buehrle in the third game in the Bronx to let Cotts, who had been awful, pitch. Then Mark got torched the next night in Detroit.

BeviBall!
05-18-2006, 06:13 PM
This team had WS talent... but didn't have 162-game talent.

ZachAL
05-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Paul Konerko off to a horrendous start to that season. Still has one of the best games ive ever been to though, which was vs. Minnesota. I'm sure a lot of you remember it. Something along the lines of the Sox being down the whole game, Paul pinch hits in the 9th int he middle of his horrid slump and he jacks one to send it into extra innings then Frank hits a walkoff in the 11th or 12th. Can't remember exactly, I might have mixed those two HR's around, but it was amazing.

Soxfanspcu11
05-18-2006, 06:51 PM
I remember that season VERY vividly. I went to my usual amount of games that year, but what made that year different was that I followed the Sox on the road a few times.

First, I drove up to Toronto to see them in early/mid July. And that's when I was lucky enough to meet Konerko and Burlz and a nightclub up there! I wrote all about it in another thread.

Then, in late July, I flew down to Texas to see them. I have family that lives about 10 minutes from the old "Ballpark in Arlington", my aunt actually owns one of the parking lots that fans park in.

My uncle and cousin are HUGE Rangers fans and prior to the start of the series, we exchanged some good natured ribbing, and I informed him of how the Sox were going to beat the crap out of the Rangers. Well, oops!

The Sox got swept in that series and I was at all 3 games and, let me tell you, not very fun from my perspective.

Me and my dad were at the games (he is the reason I'm a Sox fan) and of course we were in full Sox gear. We cheered for the Sox loudly and proudly the few times they actually did something positive.

The game that really sticks out in my mind is the game that Bartolo Colon started. And I just remember him getting ABSOLUTELY SHELLED! :angry: It was like batting practice for those dudes. There was one inning when Colon gave up something like 4 homeruns and 3 doubles, it was bad.

Needless to say, we were taunted by the Rangers fans. A few even said, "Go Cubbies!". That got me more mad then anything. Some were actually nice and asked why we were Sox fans. We explained that we were from the Chicago area and have always been fans and that we came down to support the team.

Anyway, I could go on and on, but the point is, that trip kinda sorta sucked!:mad:

Oh, and one more thing that I recall about the 2003 season was that some radio guys, (sorry, don't remember who) claimed that they had "heard" that the Sox players intentionally tanked that last season series in Minnesota because they wanted Manuel to get fired. As you guys probably recall, we had just split a 4 game series with Minnesota at Comiskey, then went up to Minnesota and got swept. That series essentially killed our playoff chances.

These radio guys said that they had heard from several Twins players that prior to the series starting, that some White Sox players came up to them and said something to the effect of, "Don't worry, you guys got the division, we want Manuel out of here".

Anyone else remember hearing this??? Maybe it's true, they certainly were terrible in that series.

Anywho, I prefer to remember the 2005 Sox and enjoy the 2006 Sox MUCH MUCH MORE!

Chips
05-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Paul Konerko off to a horrendous start to that season. Still has one of the best games ive ever been to though, which was vs. Minnesota. I'm sure a lot of you remember it. Something along the lines of the Sox being down the whole game, Paul pinch hits in the 9th int he middle of his horrid slump and he jacks one to send it into extra innings then Frank hits a walkoff in the 11th or 12th. Can't remember exactly, I might have mixed those two HR's around, but it was amazing.

I remember that game, it was my birthday. Pauilie hit one in the 11th to tie it up and Frank hit a jack to win to in the 12th or 13th.

HomeFish
05-18-2006, 06:56 PM
The 2003 White Sox would have gone deep into the playoffs if only they could beat Minnesota and Detroit. They owned the other AL contenders that year.

batmanZoSo
05-18-2006, 06:57 PM
That team pissed me off. They totally should've won the division, but it was a Manuel team and they would've lost in the first round. It would've been the same old story most likely.

skobabe8
05-18-2006, 07:01 PM

You got it right, Zach. To this day that game is in my top 3 of games I've attended on my all time list. The other ones: ALDS game 2, 2005, and division clincher vs. Seattle in 1993. Thats pretty good company.

1951Campbell
05-18-2006, 07:09 PM
That team pissed me off. They totally should've won the division, but it was a Manuel team and they would've lost in the first round. It would've been the same old story most likely.

Agreed. I'm sorry, but they had a 2000 vibe to them--even if they'd made the playoffs, three and out. But then they solved that problem by not making the playoffs, which I also did not find that surprising. Bottom line: Manuel does not inspire confidence.

batmanZoSo
05-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Agreed. I'm sorry, but they had a 2000 vibe to them--even if they'd made the playoffs, three and out. But then they solved that problem by not making the playoffs, which I also did not find that surprising. Bottom line: Manuel does not inspire confidence.

I mean a team that buckles and collapses against light hitting Minnesota in the regular season...I didn't see them winning playoff games in New York (who then was a pretty solid World Series club).

With that considered, it's probably very fortunate that we didn't win the division that year. Everything in the early decade went down as it did for a reason. That choke job is really the first thing that ultimately set 2005 into motion.

Brian26
05-18-2006, 09:00 PM

One of the most bitter sweet seasons ever as far as I'm concerned. Remember that the Sox hosted the All-Star Game, it was the 10th and 20th anniversary of the '93 and '83 pennant winners, and KW pulled off the steal of the winter by grabbing Colon for a Biddle, Leifer, Osuna, and a bucket of balls. So, going into the season, the stars and planets were aligned for something special to happen.

The first half was a mixed bag. Buehrle started off terribly (I was reminded recently by Patrick134 that his record was 2-10 at one point). Konerko was horrible until the All-Star Break. Koch seemed like a bust. On the otherhand, Loaiza was an amazing story, and Magglio and Frank were putting up good numbers.

I thought when we got Alomar and Everett within a two day span on July 1 and July 2 that the team was set-up to go deep into the playoffs if they could just get there. That meltdown in Minnesota in the 3rd week of September was awful, and then we had to endure the north side back-door playoff farce that last way too long but ended up very nicely.

The playoffs would have been interesting if the Sox could have just beat out the Twins. However, knowing what I know now, that team probably wasn't going to beat Red Sox or Yankees with a core of Mags, CLee, Frank, PK, and Valentin.

chisoxmike
05-18-2006, 09:03 PM
The 2003 season was a very fun and frusterating year. Probably the most fun I've had at the park. That first game against the Twins in September was amazing.

That team would have gone deep in the postseason in 2003 if they got there. They were built for a strong post season run.

Their problem was a bad first half. Something like 43-46 or something. Losing too many games to a horrible Tigers team, and of course their epic meltdown at the end of September.

Brian26
05-18-2006, 09:20 PM
Still has one of the best games ive ever been to though, which was vs. Minnesota. I'm sure a lot of you remember it. Something along the lines of the Sox being down the whole game, Paul pinch hits in the 9th int he middle of his horrid slump and he jacks one to send it into extra innings then Frank hits a walkoff in the 11th or 12th. Can't remember exactly, I might have mixed those two HR's around, but it was amazing.

No, you got it correct. July 2, 2003.

StockdaleForVeep
05-18-2006, 09:24 PM
and tampa, one of which many put as being the decline of the team when koch got destroyed. I wanna say that was when buehrle started off like 1-9 or something then went on a 10 game win streak? I was really excited cuz colon came and he was my fave pitcher in all of the al(my only cheer for cleveland) but yeah, hurtful season, but untill gooch, was the only time i felt confident a ball comin to 2B would be caught when we got alomar

But it was the finest Thomas season we saw post injury

santo=dorf
05-18-2006, 09:26 PM
I don't think so. The lineup was loaded, and our playoff staff would have been Colon-Buehrle-Loaiza.

infohawk
05-18-2006, 09:45 PM
I went to a game against the Tigers that year in which Loaiza was pitching. The Sox lost 1-0!:angry::angry::angry:

rainbow6
05-18-2006, 09:47 PM
I had always been a Kenny Williams supporter - I was jazzed when we traded for Todd Ritchie! I touted Kenny Williams as a great GM even back in '03...

But when he refused to fire Manuel in '03, I felt he was putting his job in jeopardy...it seemed EVERYONE realized it was time to dump Jerry and recharge the team.

It's a tragedy that Manuel was allowed to continue that year - remember all his sad-assed staged ejections when the heat was turned up on him? He would be lambasted by the fans and media so he'd come out like a lunatic in the first inning to argue a meaningless play and get tossed just for the sake of being tossed...

I think I saw him in the Mets dugout a few weeks ago and I started to feel dizzy...

Seemed like a good man...

Yet I'll never forgive him for '03

Luke

Brian26
05-18-2006, 09:52 PM
It's a tragedy that Manuel was allowed to continue that year - remember all his sad-assed staged ejections when the heat was turned up on him? He would be lambasted by the fans and media so he'd come out like a lunatic in the first inning to argue a meaningless play and get tossed just for the sake of being tossed...

LOL- I saw him get tossed against Seattle in the bottom of the 1st inning for arguiing a close groundout.

Lip Man 1
05-18-2006, 09:59 PM
The 2003 White Sox will be known for a few things:

1. Losing nine games to one of the most God-awful teams in MLB history, the Tigers.

2. Manager Gandhi and his stupidity.

3. Jose' Panuagua.

4. Frank Thomas' last full healthy season on the South Side.

Lip

JB98
05-18-2006, 10:07 PM
I went to a game against the Tigers that year in which Loaiza was pitching. The Sox lost 1-0!:angry::angry::angry:

That happened, not once. Not twice. But three times that season. Ridiculous.

CosmRoksTHHP
05-18-2006, 10:14 PM
That Frank Thomas walk off was one of my favorite memories ever,Im glad were talking about this 2003 team. They were kind of exciting yet really frusterating.
I remember in the September series in Minnesota when we still had a chance,i think it was game 1 of a 3 game set and Loaiza was on the bump with the flu or something. it was one of those games where you knew if he could suck it up and grind out a "W" we'd be ok. But he didnt have enough in the tank and that was that.
We shouldnt be celebrating this team,but I think they were important. I know they made me appreciate the 2005 team alot more.

JUribe1989
05-18-2006, 10:20 PM
The 2003 team was a fun one to watch. I remember a couple moments that stick out in my mind.

-D'angelo Jimenez walkoff single against Flubbies
-Jose goes yard to walk off Flubbies
-Big Hurt hits a walkoff against the Angels on 8/18
-19 run drubbing of the Royals on the second to last game of the year
-Danys Baez throws the ball away against us at the Jake with 2 outs in the 9th to score Everett and Crede and we won in extras
-Sox wear 1983 throwbacks in early September and get a big win against the Tribe with Loaiza pitching and Everett and Konerko going deep

I enjoyed the season, till the end of course. But even then I still appreciated the team.

thomas35forever
05-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Luke

I actually always found it hilarious when Manuel got thrown out of a game. It wasn't because he got tossed, it was just the way he argued. He would just explode before getting the boot.

PKalltheway
05-18-2006, 11:18 PM
That team could have made some noise in the playoffs if they had made it. However, they just had a lot of one or two dimensional players and their pitching fell apart after the second game against Minny at the Cell in September. Then the Twins just shoved it up their asses in Minny the next week.

The most infuriating thing about that season was the bumping of Buehrle in the third game in the Bronx to let Cotts, who had been awful, pitch. Then Mark got torched the next night in Detroit.
Boy, oh boy, the New York series. The Sox torch old man Clemens in game 1 13-2. The next night, they torch old, fat David Wells, 11-2. We could have put the nail in the coffin in game 3 by starting Buehrle but noooooo, Jerry Manuel HAD to start Cotts in game 3. Then the series in Minnesota....even though I am a younger Sox fan, that had to be THE most painful memory of the Sox I ever had...that September collapse in 2003. That hurt more than getting swept by Seattle in 2000. The September collapse overshadowed almost all of the good moments that occurred with the Sox that year. I mean, we had it all lined up and ready to go entering September...goodness why did 2003 have to be brought up?:angry: The less said about 2003, the better, especially since we won the World Series two years later.

SoxandtheCityTee
05-18-2006, 11:27 PM

As already noted by others, it was July 2, 2003. By the ninth I & my companions were down in the Bullpen bar. As Konerko came to the plate with the game on the line, a moan went up, and then just silence. I stood up and started yelling at the big screen TV: "C'mon Paulie, you can do it, I believe in you, show these new guys [we had just acquired Everett & Alomar] that this is YOUR house . . ." and more like that. I wasn't overserved; I don't know why I did it. I kept clapping and cheering and people just looked at me in pity. When PK hit it out the place went absolutely nuts, people came over and high-fived me -- one man asked politely if he could hug me (permission granted). Frank hit the walkoff in the 12th. Great, great game.

HotelWhiteSox
05-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Now that I think back I also remember that "defining" or "tailspin" moment with starting Cotts in NY, followed by losing to a horrible Detroit team with Buerhle going. Also remember the 1-0 Loaiza losses.

Also remember the Thomas walkoff. Also, IIRC, it was the first game Alomar/Everett played, and Alomar just missed a walkoff because it was just foul, but then got on first and Thomas jacked one

gobears1987
05-19-2006, 10:00 AM
The 2003 Sox?

Proof that Jerry Manuel was way over his head as a MLB manager. So much so that this had to be made.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/daver/shoot_the_dog%20copy.jpg
I've had fun reading old TBGRs. I love the"inside JErry's head" that was featured on many of them. The 2002 season is a fun one to read about now that we can laugh about it since we are the best team in baseball.

jdm2662
05-19-2006, 10:09 AM
The 2003 White Sox was the team that pissed me off than any other team I ever followed. (And this includes the Bears in the 80s and early 90s). I never was more hyped up for a Sox season since the early 90s. I also attended the most games that season than any other. I can even say I invested more time into that team than I did last year. However, that had a lot to do with the schedule I had at that time. I can live with a team that I don't expect to do much be so-so (provided the team gives a damn), or a team that suffers major injuries where they just don't have the man power to win. This team was far from that, and could've made a big run in the playoffs.

Most people will agree that the Yankee series where Cotts started is when it truely was the end of Manuel. The team wasn't too pleased with the decision with a chance to stick it up the Yankees asses. Also, both Joe Torre and someone from Boston told Hawk the White Sox was the best team they've played that year. The Central was there for the taking (Minnesota only won 90 games). In the end, however, it turned out to be a good thing they didn't make it that year. Manuel would've stayed on as manager, and we would've have gotten the whole sale changes.

Dice
05-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Probably the most frustrating White Sox team I've seen. They had playoff talent but couldn't get there. I always believed that the Twins didn't win the AL Central BUT the White Sox lost the AL Central.

Yes, that team had it's share of problems BUT the main problem was Manuel. And with Manuel managing this team it still would have been a 1st round sweep if we'd made it to the playoffs. The other problems could have been overcome with a decent manager.