PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Radio Coming To Town

Lip Man 1
05-18-2006, 03:06 PM
If ever you've wanted to ask Dan Patrick why the Eastern Sports Programming Network is so eastern-orientated, here's your chance.

Just caught at the end of his show his comment that he will be in Chicago tomorrow for the Cubs / Sox series.

Patrick is doing his show from the 'Park Grill' on Michigan Avenue.

I have no idea where this is however when my wife and I were in Chicago we stayed at the Westin Hotel at 909 N. Michigan Avenue. The bar/restaurant that they had was called 'The Grill' so it may be the same thing.

I know opposing out of town teams always stay at the Westin when they play in Chicago so perhaps Patrick is staying there as well.

I hope the place is packed with Sox fans letting their feelings be known.

Lip

itsnotrequired
05-18-2006, 03:08 PM
The Park Grill is in Millennium Park. It is where the ice rink is in the winter.

rdwj
05-18-2006, 03:18 PM
Why wouldn't they broadcast from the actual area where the game is? Seems a little silly.

Lip Man 1
05-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Has to much potential to get out of control and by that I mean when you have thousands of fans milling around it's very easy for someone to accidentally trip of something or accidentally hit something that could cause problems.

They like to do live remotes in many cases in an area that's a little easier to control and limit the number of folks in the area.

Lip

palehozenychicty
05-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Why wouldn't they broadcast from the actual area where the game is? Seems a little silly.

Because he's continually ripped Sox fans over the year without any firsthand knowledge/interaction with the fanbase, especially last year, claiming the bs nonsense that chicago is "only and only" a Cubs town. He knows that he'd get it handed to him if he ventured near the cell. loser. :angry:

The Dude
05-18-2006, 03:28 PM
The Park Grill is in Millennium Park. It is where the ice rink is in the winter.

Will he broadcast from atop the magic bean????:redneck Sorry I had to go there.:D:

Edward
05-18-2006, 03:30 PM

Probably because the game is taking place in a crime-infested part of town. Wouldn't want to get mugged or shot doing a radio show.

miker
05-18-2006, 03:34 PM
According to his sources, U.S. Cellular Field is in a bad neighborhood with no restaurants or bars.

Wait, maybe that shouldn't be in teal?

skobabe8
05-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Has to much potential to get out of control and by that I mean when you have thousands of fans milling around it's very easy for someone to accidentally trip of something or accidentally hit something that could cause problems.

They like to do live remotes in many cases in an area that's a little easier to control and limit the number of folks in the area.

Lip

I see your point, but still makes little sense to me. You cant tell me that the DP Show cant set something up at a south side bar and have good control over the environment (like the patio at Punchinellos) or even a place like ESPN Zone. I just cant see that grill at Millenium Park being a good location for a crosstown series.

Daver
05-18-2006, 07:27 PM
I see your point, but still makes little sense to me. You cant tell me that the DP Show cant set something up at a south side bar and have good control over the environment (like the patio at Punchinellos) or even a place like ESPN Zone. I just cant see that grill at Millenium Park being a good location for a crosstown series.

They paid for the appearance, the publicity on a national broadcast is worth a ton.

skobabe8
05-18-2006, 07:31 PM
They paid for the appearance, the publicity on a national broadcast is worth a ton.

Gotcha. But still...to me its not really a "sports bar". I wouldnt even think it would be worth it to them to have DP there. That doesnt seem like their target demographic. But I've never been there, so what do I know?

Brian26
05-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Gotcha. But still...to me its not really a "sports bar". I wouldnt even think it would be worth it to them to have DP there. That doesnt seem like their target demographic. But I've never been there, so what do I know?

A good friend of ours got food poisoning from the fish tacos there.

MUsoxfan
05-18-2006, 10:04 PM

But Millenium Park is beautiful on a warm sunny day. It's a good way to give the city great exposure

HotelWhiteSox
05-19-2006, 12:32 AM
I remember when Patrick brought his show to McCormick Place for the 03 All Star event. They might as well have renamed it as the nap area for parents to drop off their kids at

skobabe8
05-19-2006, 07:33 AM
But Millenium Park is beautiful on a warm sunny day. It's a good way to give the city great exposure

No argument with that point. It just seems like a displaced place to broadcast from when the actual game is a few miles to the south.

SOXSINCE'70
05-19-2006, 08:18 AM
All of this reminds me of an old "Batman" episode in which
The Catwoman (Julie Newmar) invents a device that can
paralyze her victim's vocal chords,leaving them speechless.

It's too bad she can't do this to the local and national
sports media this weekend.:roflmao: :roflmao:

retro1983hat
05-19-2006, 08:23 AM
Didn't Dan Patrick get mercilessly booed when he did a pregame show from the Cell last year? I thought I remembered that. I might be wrong.