PDA

View Full Version : AJ Breaks AL record

Dan Mega
05-18-2006, 01:03 PM
I apologize in advance if this was already posted... I used the search function and didn't find it.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-soxnt18.html

SILENT RECORD: Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski didn't even know what record he had achieved Wednesday, but that didn't stop him from welcoming it with open arms.
After Tuesday's game, Pierzynski set an AL record with 954 consecutive errorless chances accepted, eclipsing Yogi Berra's mark of 950 set from 1957 to '59. Pierzynski has not committed an error in his last 150 games after Wednesday. "I'm sure it will silence some people,'' Pierzynski said of those who criticized his defense. "But you know me, I'm always getting criticism.''

Congrats AJ!

rdwj
05-18-2006, 01:07 PM
Wow - nice!

WTG AJ!!
:bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

cbotnyse
05-18-2006, 01:14 PM
that is awesome...congrats AJ! just another reason I love this defense....:thumbsup: :yup: :drool:

ChetChat
05-18-2006, 01:32 PM
3 dancing na's for the best bad boy in baseball!
:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Tekijawa
05-18-2006, 01:41 PM
It's too bad this was overshaddowed by the Whole Bonds/Ruth Steriod thing... I'm sure this woudl have gooten a lot more attention if that wasn't going on!

slobes
05-18-2006, 01:43 PM
I had no idea. Did any of you actually know he was approaching the record before he boke it?

soxfanatlanta
05-18-2006, 01:51 PM
It's too bad this was overshaddowed by the Whole Bonds/Ruth Steriod thing... I'm sure this woudl have gooten a lot more attention if that wasn't going on!

Perhaps if he played closer to the Atlantic ocean...oh well. Not only is he playing well defensively, he's great at calling games.

Congrats to you, AJ! :gulp:

MERPER
05-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Combine that defensive stats with his batting average, is there any way AJ isn't an All-Star this year?

Iwritecode
05-18-2006, 02:34 PM
Combine that defensive stats with his batting average, is there any way AJ isn't an All-Star this year?

Yes. He doesn't play for the Yankees or Red Sox. Remember, the AS voting is a popularity contest. Stats don't matter...

RichFitztightly
05-18-2006, 03:27 PM
I had no idea. Did any of you actually know he was approaching the record before he boke it?

I didn't even know this record existed.

UofCSoxFan
05-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Anyone know what the major league record is?

IlliniSox4Life
05-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Anyone know what the major league record is?

Well, I think I heard the major league record for a catcher is something like 159 games, but I think that was posted somewhere here (like the after game thread), and I don't know much more.

DaleJRFan
05-18-2006, 05:02 PM
:?: Don't the passed balls that scored runs during Haeger's start count as errors???

UofCSoxFan
05-18-2006, 05:17 PM
:?: Don't the passed balls that scored runs during Haeger's start count as errors???

No. They act like errors in the sense that they can change whether or not a run is earned...ie if a runner is on first, goes to second on a passed ball, scores on a single, and then the next batter makes an out, the run would not be earned (since he wouldn't have scored from first had the passed ball not occured). They are a seperate category. Passed balls are not the same as errors.

Wild pitches are not errors either.

nlentz88
05-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Yes. He doesn't play for the Yankees or Red Sox. Remember, the AS voting is a popularity contest. Stats don't matter...

True, but Ozzie gets to pick a few extra players outside of AS ballot results. If some teams don't have any players voted onto the AS squad, then Ozzie has to use these extra picks to select a player from each such team. However, if he has leftover slots, I bet he'd use them to recognize Sox players who have been critical to the Sox' success to date in 2006.

ChetChat
05-19-2006, 04:33 PM
vs the scrubs, AJ has a throwing error.