PDA

View Full Version : Old Friend Willie Ran Through A Stop Sign

Mark
05-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Whoops....

By Chris Snow, Globe Staff

BALTIMORE -- Willie Harris didn't need a Harvard symbologist in the mold of Robert Langdon standing next to him at first base with two outs in the ninth inning last night to know that the sign relayed to him ordered him not to attempt to steal. He saw and correctly interpreted that sign. He simply didn't obey it.

(http://www.boston.com/news/globe/)
''I was told I was on the hold sign," Harris acknowledged, after he was gunned out to end last night's game, attempting to take second with Trot Nixon at bat, the count 1 and 0, and the Red Sox trailing, 4-3. ''I saw the hold sign the first pitch. I kind of thought maybe it was just for the first pitch. I told [manager Terry Francona] I screwed up."

Harris was thrown out for just the 15th time in 65 career attempts (that's a 77 percent success rate), costing Nixon a chance to bat with what would have been a 2-and-0 count. But, as Francona aptly pointed out, ''I don't think the game was lost in ninth inning. In the middle innings we just didn't do anything."

tebman
05-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Heads up, everybody! Bafiarocks will be here soon firing exclamation marks at us!
:duck:

Irishsox1
05-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Willie got gunned down last year to end the game against Seattle.

TDog
05-18-2006, 12:51 PM
When I saw the one-run game ending with "W. Harris caught stealing at second base," I thought something had gone wrong. It reminded me that after Steve Lyons ended a Red Sox game being thrown out at third base with Wade Boggs at the plate, Lyons was traded to the White Sox for Tom Seaver.

Fortunately, the people who made such deals are gone.

TDog
05-18-2006, 01:11 PM
Willie got gunned down last year to end the game against Seattle.

Actually, the entire 1926 season ended with a runner being thrown out trying to steal. Babe Ruth, after walking, for the fourth time, with 2 out in the bottom of the 9th, losing 3-2 to the Cardinals in Game 7 of the World Series, was thrown out trying to steal second, relieving Grover Cleveland Alexander of having to face the Yankees cleanup hitter.

But I'm sure the lightning-fast Babe knew he could make it. He had stolen second base against the same pitcher-catcher combination in the Yankees' 10-2 loss the previous day.

Minnie Me
05-18-2006, 02:14 PM
Willie lives on the edge, and got gunned down. I love you Willie Harris--and want to bear your children.

SOXPHILE
05-18-2006, 05:38 PM
Willie lives on the edge, and got gunned down. I love you Willie Harris--and want to bear your children.

Oh dear Lord....

Dan Mega
05-18-2006, 05:41 PM

:o: :o: :o: :o: :o: :o: :o:

QCIASOXFAN
05-18-2006, 05:58 PM
Willie lives on the edge, and got gunned down. I love you Willie Harris--and want to bear your children. :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

slavko
05-18-2006, 06:26 PM
I saw the replay...he looked safe.

TDog
05-18-2006, 09:02 PM
I saw the replay...he looked safe.

And maybe when fans complain that hitters are fouling off ball four with two strikes, the hitters are fouling off pitches the umpire would have incorrectly rung them up on. There is no appeal. Whether Willie Harris looked safe is irrelevant.

Game over, man.

ondafarm
05-18-2006, 09:22 PM
And maybe when fans complain that hitters are fouling off ball four with two strikes, the hitters are fouling off pitches the umpire would have incorrectly rung them up on. There is no appeal. Whether Willie Harris looked safe is irrelevant.

Game over, man.

Dumb play. Give your teammate a chance to bat.

Dick Allen
05-19-2006, 06:38 PM
Willie lives on the edge, and got gunned down. I love you Willie Harris--and want to bear your children.:puking:

Nellie_Fox
05-20-2006, 12:49 AM
Heads up, everybody! Bafiarocks will be here soon firing exclamation marks at us!
I love this line.