PDA

View Full Version : Flubsessed "Sox" Fan Moment 9,899

Hangar18
05-18-2006, 09:38 AM
I went to the Pearl Jam show last nite. Was VERY refreshing to see NUMEROUS SOX fans in attendance. Like a private club, fans simply Nod at each other, or a "how bout dem sox?". Before the show, some of my friends wanted to meet for dinner, and they picked the Twisted Spoke on Ogden. I got there first and noticed all the Tvs tuned to an nba game.
Nobody was watching it. I asked the bartender if she could tune the tv to the "ballgame". She said the ballgame wasnt starting til 7pm, and she was busy, but she would get to it. I said she was wrong, the game was already on, it started at 6 and I was just listening to the first inning. This cruddy looking woman gave me the most Evil and dark glare ive ever gotten, and she repeated she was "too busy" and "its the playoffs", so I wont be able to watch the game and she stormed off. I was very confused.
First she was putting the game on at 7pm wait, then dark stare and telling me NO Game at all its the playoffs?
"hey, ignore her, shes being a real ***** ", said a guy a few seats over.
I noticed his SOX hat, and realized she thought I was talking about the Cub game. The guy said he and his crew also Asked about the game being put on, and she said the Cubs dont start til 7 and he said NO the SOX game.
She said then she was too busy, she would see.

What a witch. I asked her again, could she put it on at least one tv.
She said she was too busy. I said why dont you ask another worker. She summons over a Manager type. "Look buddy, were not putting that game on ok. Thats all there is to it" "Why not, we were asking her to put the game on too" said the other patron a few seats over. The other group of SOX fans said "this is BS" and asked to cash out. I was mad they were being lazy, but apparently these guys were there longer. That was excellent, suddenly 5 barstools were emptying out. Pretty Cruddy treatment and I realize this ISNT a SOX friendly bar. I also asked to close out my tab.

The manager type guy came over and said "look, were featuring the Hockey Playoffs tonite" Why dont you put it on one TV? "we only have 2 channels" I dont know what he meant by that.

"Look, come September, we'll have you guys on ALL the TV's". OK I guess. A guy who seemed to be a regular, whispered that the cruddy woman was a fan of the other team.
For some reason I laughed it off, and knew the CrossTown Classic is coming up :wink:

daveeym
05-18-2006, 09:44 AM
I went to the Pearl Jam show last nite. Was VERY refreshing to see NUMEROUS SOX fans in attendance. Like a private club, fans simply Nod at each other, or a "how bout dem sox?". Before the show, some of my friends wanted to meet for dinner, and they picked the Twisted Spoke on Ogden. I got there first and noticed all the Tvs tuned to an nba game.
Nobody was watching it. I asked the bartender if she could tune the tv to the "ballgame". She said the ballgame wasnt starting til 7pm, and she was busy, but she would get to it. I said she was wrong, the game was already on, it started at 6 and I was just listening to the first inning. This cruddy looking woman gave me the most Evil and dark glare ive ever gotten, and she repeated she was "too busy" and "its the playoffs", so I wont be able to watch the game and she stormed off. I was very confused.
First she was putting the game on at 7pm wait, then dark stare and telling me NO Game at all its the playoffs?
I noticed his SOX hat, and realized she thought I was talking about the Cub game. The guy said he and his crew also Asked about the game being put on, and she said the Cubs dont start til 7 and he said NO the SOX game.

She said she was too busy. I said why dont you ask another worker. She summons over a Manager type. "Look buddy, were not putting that game on ok. Thats all there is to it" "Why not, we were asking her to put the game on too" said the other patron a few seats over. The other group of SOX fans said "this is BS" and asked to cash out. I was mad they were being lazy, but apparently these guys were there longer. That was excellent, suddenly 5 barstools were emptying out. Pretty Cruddy treatment and I realize this ISNT a SOX friendly bar. I also asked to close out my tab.

The manager type guy came over and said "look, were featuring the Hockey Playoffs tonite" Why dont you put it on one TV? "we only have 2 channels" I dont know what he meant by that.

"Look, come September, we'll have you guys on ALL the TV's". OK I guess. A guy who seemed to be a regular, whispered that the cruddy woman was a fan of the other team.
For some reason I laughed it off, and knew the CrossTown Classic is coming up :wink: You should have walked out and up to Player's they'd put it on for ya. Was in there for the "playoffs" a couple weeks ago, that had every game on plus the cubs and sox. Staff was very pollite too.

SOecks
05-18-2006, 09:51 AM
I live in walking distance to both Players and Twisted Spoke. Players has always been a good time but now that I heard that I'll never go to Twisted Spoke. What a bunch of crap. Who the hell watches out of town NBA games over local baseball anyways (unless they have money on the game).

Hangar18
05-18-2006, 09:55 AM
I live in walking distance to both Players and Twisted Spoke. Players has always been a good time but now that I heard that I'll never go to Twisted Spoke. What a bunch of crap. Who the hell watches out of town NBA games over local baseball anyways (unless they have money on the game).

NBA on every single TV. She was going to put the other teams game on at 7, but then out of spite, they made sure they didnt put any of the SOX game on, even though "hockey" hadnt started yet. That place will never see my money again. for the record, most flub fans at bars/restaurants will josh with you if the SOX arent on and you ask the game to be put on.
But these two were outright BITTER. They werent putting the SOX on at all costs, I think theyd rather turn the tv's off. Id do the same I guess
so oh well

maurice
05-18-2006, 11:05 AM
I've posted this before, but my standard response in this situation is to stand up, turn around, and announce: "Hey, everybody, how many people want to watch the Sox game that's on right now?" Invariably, 20% or more of the crowd raises their hands and the tool behind the bar changes the channel to avoid alienating the customers. In the unlikely event that they still refused to change the channel, I'd walk out and never return. After alll, it's still a free country (mostly).

WizardsofOzzie
05-18-2006, 11:11 AM
As a waiter/bartender, i bend over backwards to appease my customers. Without making them happy i don't make any money. If they leave me $0 tip, i've made $0 for the night, so i don't understand why this woman would risk such a thing. If that ever happened to me, *poof* there went your tip....hope it was worth it.

PatK
05-18-2006, 11:49 AM
I had my own encouter with a stupid Cubs fan last night.

It was my girlfriend's birthday, and I was taking her to see Wicked. We stopped at Field's because we had a time to kill after dinner. At the "Wrigleville" sports shop (or whatever it's called) I bought one of those official MLB WhiteSox pullovers with the grey on the sleeves, like the ones coaches wear in the dugouts.

It was cold and raining, so when we left, I put it on. We were walking in the pedway and about to go out at the stairs at the State L station and heard a bunch of yahoos making noise. It happened to be a couple of drunken Chads and a Trixie going to the game and struggling with the CTA card machine. By now, it was 7 o'clock.

They saw me in my Sox pullover and yelled "Sox suck. Cubs rule and we're the best fans in baseball".

I replied "Yeah, you're so good that you're leaving for the game at start time."

They got all mad and yelled "Yeah, at least we're going" and struggled with the turnstile to get to the L.

SBSoxFan
05-18-2006, 12:07 PM
I had my own encouter with a stupid Cubs fan last night.
They got all mad and yelled "Yeah, at least we're going" and struggled with the turnstile to get to the L.

Yes. Shame on you for not road-tripping to Tampa to go to the game. :rolleyes:

white sox bill
05-18-2006, 12:13 PM

For some reason I laughed it off, and knew the CrossTown Classic is coming up :wink:

So Hendy how was Eddie and the boys? Too bad he's a cubber

palehozenychicty
05-18-2006, 12:17 PM
Yes. Shame on you for not road-tripping to Tampa to go to the game. :rolleyes:

How dare you not want to watch a baseball game in a Dark Juice Box, sipping Tropicana?

Hangar18
05-18-2006, 12:19 PM
As a waiter/bartender, i bend over backwards to appease my customers. Without making them happy i don't make any money. If they leave me $0 tip, i've made $0 for the night, so i don't understand why this woman would risk such a thing. If that ever happened to me, *poof* there went your tip....hope it was worth it.

It was unreal. First time in a little while that ive seen a bitter Cub fan. Having the manager walk up and say LOOK, WERE NOT PUTTING THAT GAME ON was a dose of reality. That made the group next to me get very mad and ALL LEAVE, all 5 of them. That was awesome. Inspired me to close out my tab too.

Hangar18
05-18-2006, 12:21 PM
So Hendy how was Eddie and the boys? Too bad he's a cubber

I was surprised ...........the show was very good. They dragged it on towards the end, playing all of the radio-friendly hits of theirs, and the show predictably slowed down.

white sox bill
05-18-2006, 12:28 PM
I was surprised ...........the show was very good. They dragged it on towards the end, playing all of the radio-friendly hits of theirs, and the show predictably slowed down.

He sang the 7th inning stretch Sunday, my friend swears he said "Root root for the cokers..."

Frater Perdurabo
05-18-2006, 01:11 PM
He sang the 7th inning stretch Sunday, my friend swears he said "Root root for the cokers..."

You forgot the letter "h." It's spelled "chokers."
:D:

Smokey Burg
05-18-2006, 01:28 PM
There is absolutely no excuse for that type of behavior from a barteneder, manager, or wait staff. Hopefully nobody left a tip. Lately I have noticed some real unacceptable behavior from cub fans, I almost feel for them.

Hangar18
05-18-2006, 01:53 PM
There is absolutely no excuse for that type of behavior from a barteneder, manager, or wait staff. Hopefully nobody left a tip. Lately I have noticed some real unacceptable behavior from cub fans, I almost feel for them.

The group of SOX fans that left said they didnt leave anything. Good For Them. (Tonite, this grizzled punker chick is going to say "Stupid SOX fans, never leave tips")

ws05champs
05-18-2006, 06:04 PM
The people running the place are idiots. In my line of business everyone knows I'm a huge Sox fan, yet I show respect for clients/associates who are Cubs fans. You start alienating people the way these clowns did and you will soon find yourself living in Camp Lower Wacker Drive. Hey even the Grandstand carries Cubs stuff. Being a fan is one thing; making a living is another.

Thanks for the heads up on the Twisted Spoke. Won't be going there.

FoulTerritory
05-18-2006, 08:39 PM
I went to the Pearl Jam show last nite. Was VERY refreshing to see NUMEROUS SOX fans in attendance. Like a private club, fans simply Nod at each other, or a "how bout dem sox?".
Yeah, I was at both pj shows and noticed the same thing -- much sox camaraderie. In fact, last night someone walked past me in the concourse and gave a little sox shout when he saw my sox hat (hangar?)

And, incidentally, I thought the Tue night show was the better of the two, although last night was good too.