PDA

View Full Version : Cooper to get contract extension

Hitmen77
05-18-2006, 09:29 AM
..also Greg Walker and Joey Cora. According to the Sun-Times:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sside18.html

MsSoxVixen22
05-18-2006, 09:37 AM
YEEESSS! :bandance: Those guys helped us win the WS in the first place!

Flight #24
05-18-2006, 09:39 AM
Cora/Walker/Coop: "Will stay":bandance:
Baines/Cave: "If they want to, they'll be here":cool:
Rock: "I don't know what we want to do there":?:

What's the deal here Ozzie?

patbooyah
05-18-2006, 09:41 AM
i would happily give cooper a contract bigger than konerko's. that's how much value i think he gives this team. he makes 3mil/year pitchers look like 12mil/year.

Jaffar
05-18-2006, 09:42 AM
Is Rock looking to move up the management ladder? Why else wouldn't he stay?

SOecks
05-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Great news. Coop was my biggest worry and it's great to have the other two. We all know Cora will make things interesting as 3rd base coach. :bandance:

1951Campbell
05-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Terrific news.

Scottiehaswheels
05-18-2006, 09:47 AM
Is Rock looking to move up the management ladder? Why else wouldn't he stay?Prolly just don't know where he's gonna go... If Baines leaves, does he stay bench coach or go back to 1B?

chaerulez
05-18-2006, 09:50 AM
Cora/Walker/Coop: "Will stay":bandance:
Baines/Cave: "If they want to, they'll be here":cool:
Rock: "I don't know what we want to do there":?:

What's the deal here Ozzie?

It's possible Rock has expressed interest in doing something else, perhaps managing or being a hitting coach in the minor leagues?

rdwj
05-18-2006, 09:55 AM
It's possible Rock has expressed interest in doing something else, perhaps managing or being a hitting coach in the minor leagues?

I know that Rock has manager aspirations. That was the main reason he moved from first base coach.

ondafarm
05-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Cooper/Cora/Walker all well-deserved raises and long-term deals.

Worth every penny. Keep Coop for life.

If I was JR, I'd sit down with Rock and say, "Mr Raines, please tell me what career path you want and how the White Sox organization can best help you accomplish this." I'd assume pretty much any position is open short of manager of the major league club, manager of the AAA club, pitching coach of the ML and batting coach of the ML.

whitesoxfan1986
05-18-2006, 10:17 AM
When did Rock play for the Sox? If it's far enough back, I may have been too young to remember anyway.

rdwj
05-18-2006, 10:22 AM
When did Rock play for the Sox? If it's far enough back, I may have been too young to remember anyway.

91-95

chisoxfanatic
05-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Good! He righted all of Nardi Contreras' wrongs! He's a mastermind!

itsnotrequired
05-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Good! He righted all of Nardi Contreras' wrongs! He's a mastermind!

Eh, Cooper is okay. Good deal, I suppose.

:redneck

chisoxfanatic
05-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Eh, Cooper is okay. Good deal, I suppose.

:redneck

He is quick to know his pitchers' deficiencies and corrects them!

itsnotrequired
05-18-2006, 11:09 AM
He is quick to know his pitchers' deficiencies and corrects them!

Isn't Rothschild available? He seems to work well with pitchers.:tongue:

Hitmen77
05-18-2006, 01:31 PM

http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/raineti01.shtml

Raines's prime years were spent with the Expos. The Sox acquired him in major trade in December 1990 for the late Ivan Calderon. This turned out to be a good trade for the Sox, as Raines gave us several very productive years.

However, the trade didn't look so good at first. IIRC, for the 1st half of '91 Raines really struggled early with the Sox. Calderon, on the other hand, was outstanding with Montreal in early 1991 and even earned a start in the All-Star game (he wasn't voted in, but was named as a replacement for an injured starter). The local media had a field day with this and much was made of the Sox "terrible trade".

Raines got back on track and Calderon cooled off and quickly slid into oblivion. By 1993, Calderon was washed up and had played his last game. Of course, once Raines rebounded and Calderon cooled off, I don't think I ever heard the local media mention this trade again.

kevin57
05-18-2006, 02:13 PM
I doubt any Sox fan will say that an extention for Cooper is a bad idea.

He's the man!

:bandance:

thegooch
05-18-2006, 02:17 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/raineti01.shtml

Raines's prime years were spent with the Expos. The Sox acquired him in major trade in December 1990 for the late Ivan Calderon. This turned out to be a good trade for the Sox, as Raines gave us several very productive years.

However, the trade didn't look so good at first. IIRC, for the 1st half of '91 Raines really struggled early with the Sox. Calderon, on the other hand, was outstanding with Montreal in early 1991 and even earned a start in the All-Star game (he wasn't voted in, but was named as a replacement for an injured starter). The local media had a field day with this and much was made of the Sox "terrible trade".

Raines got back on track and Calderon cooled off and quickly slid into oblivion. By 1993, Calderon was washed up and had played his last game. Of course, once Raines rebounded and Calderon cooled off, I don't think I ever heard the local media mention this trade again.

Are the rumors(think back pocket rocks) about why Raines is called Rock true? has anyone esle hear these?

miker
05-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Huge thumbs up to Coop and the rest of the staff!

patbooyah
05-18-2006, 04:08 PM
Are the rumors(think back pocket rocks) about why Raines is called Rock true? has anyone esle hear these?

http://www.aarongleeman.com/2002_08_18_baseballblog_archive.html
(aaron gleeman is a baseball writer who has written/writes for rotoworld, SI, hardball times, etc)

Rock...

My uncle had a really good friend that pitched for the Univerity of Minnesota (the school that I now attend) years ago and spent some time in the Expos' minor league system in the late 70s, before blowing his arm out.
When I was a kid, probably like 11 or 12, I was playing catch with him one day (it was really fun, he thew sub-marine style and really fast) and I asked him who the best player he ever played with was.

He immediately said Rock Raines.
I didn't know who Rock Raines was (I was just a kid and not yet the total baseball geek that I am today).
He explained to me that Tim Raines' nickname was "Rock."
I asked why and he said, basically, that Tim Raines had a head filled with rocks.

Since then, I have seen Raines play on TV and have heard him refererred to, many times, by Expos or Marlins announcers as Rock Raines.
A couple of times the announcers went so far as to explain the nickname.
They said, basically, that Tim Raines has always been in great shape, his body is like a rock.

I, of course, know the real reason for the nickname.
I suspect the announcers do to, but you aren't likely to hear this on a Marlins' telecast:

"Tim "Rock" Raines steps to the plate...he is hitting .257 on the year...you know, they call Tim "Rock" because he is a complete idiot...Raines takes the first pitch for a strike..."

thomas35forever
05-18-2006, 04:47 PM
Coop...making careers out of forgotten veterans.

SouthSide_HitMen
05-18-2006, 05:01 PM
Great news. I'd like for Raines to stay but he obviously has other plans. I love Harold Baines the player (my favorite all time player) but I don't think he adds much as a coach.

Cooper is the man and I am glad he won't be leaving for his hometown Yankees anytime soon. Cora and Walker I am ambivalent about. After Cooper I'd say Man Soo Lee is second on my list for a contract extension and I'd like Art to stick around as well.

buehrle4cy05
05-18-2006, 05:22 PM
But I thought Cooper was going to the Yankees!!!:rolleyes:

Well deserved for all three.

SouthSide_HitMen
05-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Farmeo just announced Harold Baines and Art Kushner's contracts were also extended with Tim Raines the only coach in limbo at this point (most likely due to his own choice).

Harold Baines - YES!!!

Soxfanspcu11
05-18-2006, 06:38 PM
This is the best Sox off-field news that I have heard since we traded for Thome!!!!

Cooper is a genious and all those rumors about the Spankmees had me a bit concerned, considering he is from there and everything.

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scottiehaswheels
05-19-2006, 10:14 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2450071

at the very bottom...

"Four other White Sox coaches also agreed to multiyear extensions. They are first base coach Harold Baines (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=1672), third base coach Joey Cora, hitting coach Greg Walker and bullpen coach Art Kusnyer."

Our esteemed local media doesn't have all that.... Shocking!

Steelrod
05-19-2006, 06:20 PM
i would happily give cooper a contract bigger than konerko's. that's how much value i think he gives this team. he makes 3mil/year pitchers look like 12mil/year.Boy, am I glad you don't own the team! You think the North side tickets are expensive......