PDA

View Full Version : Williams never Met a deal he didn't like


moochpuppy
02-01-2002, 09:10 AM
The Mets are looking to deal Bruce Chen and Jay Payton. Although we would have no use for Payton (a player much like Singleton) maybe we could pry away Alfonso. Offer the Mets Lee to complete their new outfield (Lee LF, Cedeno CF and Burnitz RF). The Sox get another quality left handed starter (then maybe we can move Parque to the pen), Alfonso who can be an offensive machine and play good defensive SS and rocket of an arm in Roberts who is just about ready.

Sox get:
Bruce Chen (LHP)
Edgardo Alfonso (move to SS)
Grant Roberts (RHP - AAA)

Mets get:
Carlos Lee
Bob Howry

rmusacch
02-01-2002, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
The Mets are looking to deal Bruce Chen and Jay Payton. Although we would have no use for Payton (a player much like Singleton) maybe we could pry away Alfonso. Offer the Mets Lee to complete their new outfield (Lee LF, Cedeno CF and Burnitz RF). The Sox get another quality left handed starter (then maybe we can move Parque to the pen), Alfonso who can be an offensive machine and play good defensive SS and rocket of an arm in Roberts who is just about ready.

Sox get:
Bruce Chen (LHP)
Edgardo Alfonso (move to SS)
Grant Roberts (RHP - AAA)

Mets get:
Carlos Lee
Bob Howry

The Mets would have to be crazy to do that deal.

duke of dorwood
02-01-2002, 09:40 AM
:KW

Sorry, I will not make a deal where I dont give up young pitching

moochpuppy
02-01-2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch


The Mets would have to be crazy to do that deal.

Maybe, but the way they've been wheeling and dealing they may just do it. They need a left fielder. Currently all they have is Payton and McEwing. They had aquired Justice and traded him within a week. They just aquired Chen and already are willing to deal him. With getting Alomar and already having Ordonez at SS, Alfonso becomes expendable.

rmusacch
02-01-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy


Maybe, but the way they've been wheeling and dealing they may just do it. They need a left fielder. Currently all they have is Payton and McEwing. They had aquired Justice and traded him within a week. They just aquired Chen and already are willing to deal him. With getting Alomar and already having Ordonez at SS, Alfonso becomes expendable.

They have Alfonso scheduled to play 3B. Who will play third for them if they get rid of him? Getting Alfonso, Chen and the other guy will require a lot more than Howry and Lee.

WinningUgly!
02-01-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch


They have Alfonso scheduled to play 3B. Who will play third for them if they get rid of him? Getting Alfonso, Chen and the other guy will require a lot more than Howry and Lee. That's what I've heard as well. Alfonzo to 3rd. I don't think he's a guy you want playing SS everyday...we already have plenty of those.

kermittheefrog
02-01-2002, 05:32 PM
The Mets would be crazy to part with Alfonzo like that but I do like the idea of picking up Bruce Chen.

Soxheads
02-01-2002, 05:39 PM
Dear God no! No way! There, I think I've expressed my opinion. :smile:

kermittheefrog
02-01-2002, 05:43 PM
I'm sorry Mooch but that trade of yours really has some hints of Cubs fan logic.

czalgosz
02-01-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I'm sorry Mooch but that trade of yours really has some hints of Cubs fan logic.

No, this would be a Cub fan trade idea -

Sox get -

Edgardo Alfonso
Bruce Chen

Mets get -

Josh Paul
Royce Clayton
Antonio Osuna
Ryan Kohlmeier


You see, they get four guys, and we only get two, so that's fair, right?

cornball
02-01-2002, 07:43 PM
I like the way your thinking but I undersand Fronz is to play third. He also has back problems. If he could play short....wow

Good idea

kermittheefrog
02-01-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by cornball
I like the way your thinking but I undersand Fronz is to play third. He also has back problems. If he could play short....wow

Good idea

Well he did play short in the minors, the Mets moved him so that Rey Ordonez could play short.

cornball
02-01-2002, 08:14 PM
I like the idea and would do it in a second. But how the hell do you get rid of Clayton and/or Valentin.

IMO Valintin is the problem, I know most people on the board love him, but where do you play him. I dont know he just disrupts things in my opinion, trying to make him fit somewhere.

Offensively good numbers as a shortstop but not at third. He is hurt alot and a .260 hitter. The second half he hit .230

I dont believe he has much value in the open market. We know Clayton doesnt.