PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte giveaway May 20th: Manny Ramirez Bobbleheads

Edward
05-18-2006, 12:53 AM
I know he had a brief stop (40 or so games IIRC) in Charlotte before he got called up to Minny, but anyone else think this is weird? And to boot it's against the Durham Bulls. I know a couple of WSI'ers live in NC, anyone plan on going?

Advertisement splash on the Knights site (http://www.charlotteknights.com/)

KRS1
05-18-2006, 01:57 AM
before he got called up to Minny,

He never played in Minny or for their organization. He was drafted by the Indians and has only played there and in the Boston as a professional. Perhaps you got confused because of the division rival thing, but its a pretty hard mistake to make.

Edward
05-18-2006, 02:11 AM
A year later, Manny was promoted to AA Canton-Akron, where he led the Eastern League with his .340 batting average. Manny then made a quick stop in AAA Charlotte. He played only 40 games there but made enough of an impression on manager Charlie Manuel that he predicted greatness for the young slugger; and great he became.
On September 2, 1993, Manny made his major league debut, going 0 for 4 in Minnesota. However, the next night, in his second major league game, Manny exploded with three extra-base hits (two homers and a ground-rule double) in front of his family and friends against his hometown Yankees. His first big league hit was a double off Melido Perez and his first homer was also off Perez. He played only 22 games in 93.

I take back my Minny comment, he was IN Minny for his first big league game (Mixed him up with David, brain fart)

linky (http://www.mannyramirez.com/about.htm) (Go down a little more then half way) :?:
Are they just giving away Manny Ramirez bobble-heads because of the legendary 2004 Red Sox team?

chaerulez
05-18-2006, 09:43 AM
I don't think that's too weird. He's only one the few very famous ex-Knights. It'd be like the Kane County Cougars doing a Josh Beckett or Dontrelle Willis giveaway even though they are an A's team now. Sure they are with a different MLB team now, but those players that played with them while being affilated with a different club are still part of their history.

chisoxfan79
05-18-2006, 01:25 PM
All minor league teams do this I have five different bobbleheads from the Peoria Chiefs. Maddux,Palmero,Pujols,Thome, and Joe Girardi, and they were affiliated with the Cardinals when I got them. I also have the Josh Beckett one from Kane County.

He gone
05-18-2006, 01:47 PM
I think they ought to honor someone who's played alot (maybe the most) games down at Charlotte.
.LTP Bobblehead :bandance:

Britt Burns
05-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Isn't 'Manny Ramirez' and 'bobblehead' redundant?