PDA

View Full Version : minor league team affiliation question

chaerulez
05-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Didn't know if this should go on the minor league forum or not, but this question involves MLB teams too... but anyway, when a minor league team changes affiliation with a MLB team... do the players and managers just basically swap uniforms? Also, I just noticed that most of the times minor league teams just seem to swap MLB teams, what happens if a minor league team can't agree to affiliate with a MLB team? Does that MLB team start looking at independent teams (like Joliet or Schamburg) to fill the void?

StillMissOzzie
05-17-2006, 11:59 PM
Didn't know if this should go on the minor league forum or not, but this question involves MLB teams too... but anyway, when a minor league team changes affiliation with a MLB team... do the players and managers just basically swap uniforms? Also, I just noticed that most of the times minor league teams just seem to swap MLB teams, what happens if a minor league team can't agree to affiliate with a MLB team? Does that MLB team start looking at independent teams (like Joliet or Schamburg) to fill the void?

In answer to the first question, if I understand your question, the answer is yes. Our family takes in 5-7 Kane County Cougar (KCC) games every year. A couple of years ago, they changed their Class A Midwest League affiliation from the Marlins to the A's. Every player, the manager, and coaches were all Marlins property and they were gone. The players all went to wherever the new Marlins Class A team was, no idea about whether or not the manager and coaches were retained or fired. The next edition of the KCC were all brand new, as they were A's property/hirees now.

That's one thing that makes it hard to be a rabid fan of a MLB-affiliated minor league team, especially like KCC at the bottom of the ladder. If a player is good, he gets promoted to the next level, in this case Class AA. If a player is not good, they may get one more year (bonus babies?) but they may just get a head-start on their post-baseball life. And when the team changes MLB affiliations, as KCC has done twice now (they started 15 years ago affiliated with the Orioles), you get a 100% brand new set of players to cheer for.

SMO
:gulp: