PDA

View Full Version : Singleton and Bonds and the 6th inning

jehosaphat
05-17-2006, 09:23 PM
How bad is Chris Singleton? His deficiencies as an announcer are evident, but I fear he hit an all time low in the sixth inning tonight in terms of inane comments. The guy came off as totally insipid when after he asked Farmer what he thought of Barry Bonds as a person, Farmer replied "Bad" - then Farmer stated that Bonds was a great player but bad person or something to the effect. Singleton responds to Farmer that "bad person" was harsh and would not let it go. Singleton goes on to defend his position that Bonds is not a bad guy by saying he saw the ESPN show "Bonds on Bonds" where Bonds was nice to kid with cancer. Singleton said he got all choked up.

Does Singleton not realize that he was watching a TV show? Of course Bonds is going to gracious to a child with cancer when the cameras are on. Joe Stalin was kind to children when on camera. Saddam Hussein playfully fluffed a young boys hair when the cameras were on. Really bad people know how to act like kindhearted souls when it suits their purposes. Has Singleton not read any of the excerpts (let alone the book) from Game of Shadows? When objective investigative reporters looked into Bonds' life they found anything but a good person. Bonds is clearly a jerk and cheater. Great talent, but not a good human being.

Is Singleton that soft headed?

Chips
05-17-2006, 09:27 PM
How bad is Chris Singleton? His deficiencies as an announcer are evident, but I fear he hit an all time low in the sixth inning tonight in terms of inane comments. The guy came off as totally insipid when after he asked Farmer what he thought of Barry Bonds as a person, Farmer replied "Bad" - then Farmer stated that Bonds was a great player but bad person or something to the effect. Singleton responds to Farmer that "bad person" was harsh and would not let it go. Singleton goes on to defend his position that Bonds is not a bad guy by saying he saw the ESPN show "Bonds on Bonds" where Bonds was nice to kid with cancer. Singleton said he got all choked up.

Does Singleton not realize that he was watching a TV show? Of course Bonds is going to gracious to a child with cancer when the cameras are on. Joe Stalin was kind to children when on camera. Saddam Hussein playfully fluffed a young boys hair when the cameras were on. Really bad people know how to act like kindhearted souls when it suits their purposes. Has Singleton not read any of the excerpts (let alone the book) from Game of Shadows? When objective investigative reporters looked into Bonds' life they found anything but a good person. Bonds is clearly a jerk and cheater. Great talent, but not a good human being.

On account that game was on the U, I was able to watch it and spare myself from the moronic comments of Singleton.

But to answer your question, he hasn't a clue.

rightsox
05-17-2006, 09:30 PM
That whole exchange was pretty hilarious what with Farmio getting riled up about Bonds. They're developing a good rapport together. I still hate Singleton's PBP, but Farmer's is getting a lot better.

chaerulez
05-17-2006, 09:33 PM
I was going to start a thread on this too, Farmer and Singleton I think talk about Bonds too much. I hate Bonds, but I don't care to hear about him over and over on a White Sox broadcast. Although I think the conversations get prolonged because the two having opposing viewpoints. It is funny to hear Farmer trash Bonds I admit, but I wish they would tone down the talk of that jerk.

Trav
05-18-2006, 06:27 AM
That whole exchange was pretty hilarious what with Farmio getting riled up about Bonds. They're developing a good rapport together. I still hate Singleton's PBP, but Farmer's is getting a lot better.

I didn't hear this exchange but I have heard Singleton do this before and it seems like he does it on purpose to get Farmer's goat. I am enjoying the broadcasts more and more but Singleton's PBP is brutal. He is learning. The Sox shouldn't have hired a guy with no experience but I think he will be ok in three to four years. I saw a WGN game the other day and noticed how much better DJ has gotten. I think it will be the same type of thing with Chris.

0o0o0
05-18-2006, 07:57 AM
I didn't hear this exchange but I have heard Singleton do this before and it seems like he does it on purpose to get Farmer's goat. I am enjoying the broadcasts more and more but Singleton's PBP is brutal. He is learning. The Sox shouldn't have hired a guy with no experience but I think he will be ok in three to four years. I saw a WGN game the other day and noticed how much better DJ has gotten. I think it will be the same type of thing with Chris.
I'm really becoming a fan of these two. Sure, Singleton's PBP is rough and Farmer can be annoying, but some of their exchanges are priceless. I didn't hear this but my brother said during Tuesday's game, Farmer kept asking Singleton if he was better than or if he would start over the that Devil Ray was currently batting. He said something along the lines of "I'm gonna keep asking you until you answer me." :roflmao:

Medford Bobby
05-18-2006, 08:21 AM
Farmer was a Bonds team mate in late 1985 while on the Pirates, so he has seen him first hand...albeit more than 20 years ago......:o:

Kuzman
05-18-2006, 10:59 AM
I'm really becoming a fan of these two. Sure, Singleton's PBP is rough and Farmer can be annoying, but some of their exchanges are priceless. I didn't hear this but my brother said during Tuesday's game, Farmer kept asking Singleton if he was better than or if he would start over the that Devil Ray was currently batting. He said something along the lines of "I'm gonna keep asking you until you answer me." :roflmao:

I'm with ya. Singletons PBP is bad, but getting better. I liked his call for Jermaine Dye's HR last night. I also enjoy the comments the two make with each other. Almost seems like 1 smartass remark out of one of em an inning.

gobears1987
05-18-2006, 11:37 AM
On account that game was on the U, I was able to watch it and spare myself from the moronic comments of Singleton.

But to answer your question, he hasn't a clue.Isn't Wills contract up this year?

SOXPHILE
05-18-2006, 11:54 AM
I was watching the game on T.V., so I didn't hear it when it happened. But, they replayed it this morning on the Mike North Show. Singleton is still bad, but I agree that he is getting a little better. I loved the exchange, especially when Farmer kept repeating "He's a BAD GUY. He's a great player, no doubt about it, but he's a BAD GUY, and I don't like him".

Frontman
05-18-2006, 12:16 PM
I can't figure out why we get so much Bonds talk from the radio team. I understood when "Game of Shadows" was released, I understood it when he got to 713, but until something happens, why talk about him now? I just don't get it.

Front

fuzzy_patters
05-18-2006, 12:26 PM
I can't figure out why we get so much Bonds talk from the radio team. I understood when "Game of Shadows" was released, I understood it when he got to 713, but until something happens, why talk about him now? I just don't get it.

Front

Farmer has been talking about him for years. They were teammates with the Pirates, and Farmer says Bonds was the worst teammate that he has ever had. With Singleton, a former Giant, as his broadcast partner, it gives him extra opportunities to bring Bonds up.

SouthSide_HitMen
05-18-2006, 12:41 PM
Farmer was a Bonds team mate in late 1985 while on the Pirates, so he has seen him first hand...albeit more than 20 years ago......:o:

Barry Bonds 1985

http://www.mjsite.com/young/j55000.jpg

Barry Bonds 2006

http://www.sfist.com/archives/bonds.jpg

WSox8404
05-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Barry Bonds 1985

http://www.mjsite.com/young/j55000.jpg

Barry Bonds 2006

http://www.sfist.com/archives/bonds.jpg

Well that isn't Bonds 2005. Its 2002. Says so under the pic.....lol. Anyway, they are getting a little better. Singleton and Farmer that is. They still have a long way to go but at least I can stand them now.

soxinem1
05-19-2006, 12:39 PM

This also shows how little contact off the air these two must have, because I've heard every Farmer/Bonds teammates in AAA, 1985-86 stories 600 times the last 15 years. Even occasional listeners should know Farmer's rants about St. Rita, Notre Dame, and Barry as constant lore.

Dave Wills, it's time to come home!!!!

JohnBasedowYoda
05-19-2006, 01:02 PM
They're developing a good rapport together.

:?:
Farmer has been going around telling everyone Singleton looks like Urkel and keeps bringing it up mid-broadcast.

http://www.oledave.com/DesktopModules/Articles/MakeThumbnail.aspx?Image=%2FPortals%2F1%2FArticleP ics%2Furkel.jpg&w=200

Not very nice Farmer.

rookie
05-19-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm with ya. Singletons PBP is bad, but getting better. I liked his call for Jermaine Dye's HR last night. I also enjoy the comments the two make with each other. Almost seems like 1 smartass remark out of one of em an inning.

I don't know if Singleton borrowed this line from someone else but I love "he's at the track, he's at the wall, Thome/Dye will touch them all!"