PDA

View Full Version : Tigers not letting up

caulfield12
05-17-2006, 09:01 PM
They just tagged our nemesis Johan Santana with a 2 run homer in the bottom of the 8th. Vance Wilson, of all people. 2-0 Tigers going into the top of the 9th with the Twins struggling to score just one run.

That Verlander is going to be a monster. Everyone has hyped Felix Hernandez, but this kid might be better in the long-term.

Fuller_Schettman
05-17-2006, 09:05 PM
The Tigers are here to stay. I hope they push us all the way to another Soxtober!

Cause Cleveland and Minnesota don't look like they have it in 'em...

jdm2662
05-17-2006, 09:11 PM
The Tigers aren't going anywhere. I said last year they've got some good young arms, and they were a competitive team until August. They just fell apart. With a new manager, pretty good lineup, and those good young arms, they've got a good ball club. The Sox need to take care of business with the Tigers, and they will be in good shape. I hope the Tigers win the WC, however. Anything that goes against Boston or New York is fine by me.

Chips
05-17-2006, 09:12 PM
The Tigers are here to stay. I hope they push us all the way to another Soxtober!

Cause Cleveland and Minnesota don't look like they have it in 'em...

As long as they don't pull ahead of us. It'll be better for the playoffs with a close race than us winning it in a blowout. That franchise is due for winning season.

caulfield12
05-17-2006, 09:14 PM
Cleveland is really a big mystery...another disappointing start, although they didn't bomb the first couple of weeks like the last couple of seasons.

How many games have they lost to KC, 6 or 7? Of course, we don't have much to laugh about with the Royals this season either.

Ozzie always says the Tigers have the best line-up top to bottom in the Central...although some would pick the Indians, and the White Sox are much stronger, obviously.

Rogers has really changed the mentality of this team...even though he is a jerk. Verlander and Bonderman have almost the same quality of stuff as Contreras, and Robertson and Maroth are sneaky tough. Definitely an upgrade from J. Johnson....no surprise he is struggling in CLE.

Zumaya, Rodney and Todd Jones give them a better pen than the Sox.

We have the advantage is the back of the starting rotation and the bench.

Conceivably, neither the AL West teams nor the Yankees-Red Sox will make the playoffs, with either the Sox or the Tigers coming out of the Central...especially with the Royals much weaker than the D-Rays. The B-Jays and Orioles are competitive....it should be interesting.

caulfield12
05-17-2006, 09:20 PM
Detroit is now 10-6 at home and 16-7 on the road.

Interesting. With more home games coming up for the Tigers, they have a good chance to pull a couple of games ahead of us as we hit June.

TIGERS SCHED.

3 at home vs. Cincy
4 at Kansas City
3 at home vs. Cleveland (HUGE series for the Indians)
3 at home vs. Yankees (another huge series for both)

PeteWard
05-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Detroit is now 10-6 at home and 16-7 on the road.

Interesting. With more home games coming up for the Tigers, they have a good chance to pull a couple of games ahead of us as we hit June.

TIGERS SCHED.

3 at home vs. Cincy
4 at Kansas City
3 at home vs. Cleveland (HUGE series for the Indians)
3 at home vs. Yankees (another huge series for both)

Everything is golden for them now. They won by 2 despite being outhit 7-4; I think Cleveland won by 5 and were outhit 6-3!:o:

I think Detroit will build a 3 or 4 game lead in June hold it for a while and then fade and finish in 2nd about 6 back; which could still give them the WC.

Lip Man 1
05-17-2006, 11:17 PM
The Tigers are for real and they are going to be here until the end.

One other note. Mike Illitch (sorry about the spelling) said recently if Detroit stays in the race he'll authorize Dave Dombrowski (his GM and former Sox front office employee) any and all money he needs to get players at the trade deadline. You could be looking at another Red Sox - Yankees spending spee come late July. Only subbing Tigers - White Sox.

Lip

MUsoxfan
05-17-2006, 11:27 PM

One other note. Mike Illitch (sorry about the spelling) said recently if Detroit stays in the race he'll authorize Dave Dombrowski (his GM and former Sox front office employee) any and all money he needs to get players at the trade deadline. You could be looking at another Red Sox - Yankees spending spee come late July. Only subbing Tigers - White Sox.

Lip

He's got several million saved up from all the years of state-alotted money for the upkeep of Tiger Stadium.

http://mas.scripps.com/WXYZ/2005/07/06/05070618i-tigerstadium-trash_e.jpg

Tragg
05-17-2006, 11:29 PM

Lip
Maybe, but what holes do we have, except for middle relief?
The Tigers will win 90.
Williams gets his work done in the winter, and takes advantage of opportunities when they occur ...he doesn't force things. Keeps us in contention for a long time and gives us many chances to win, the lesson of the Yankees (they do it their way; we do it ours). And remember the absurd prices for last July's rentals....

Tigerclaw
05-17-2006, 11:51 PM
An interesting stat I found the other day...in the last 15 years, 20 teams won 26 of their first 39 games and 15 of them were first place teams at the end of the season. There were never teams from the same division that started this well though, so that is interesting. Either way, both the Tigers and the White Sox are in good shape with their records if the trend from the last 15 years means anything.

Tigerclaw
05-17-2006, 11:57 PM

Lip

As of right now the Tiger's biggest need is a lefty batter. They are too right handed, especially with Dmitri Young sucking up the joint. Lots of talk about Aubrey Huff, Geoff Jenkins and Raul Ibanez swirling around. On Michigan Live, a Tigers insider talked about the possibility of entering the Dontrelle Willis derby in July, but I think the cost would be way too steep. They would definitely ask for someone like Zumaya and that's a real tough call. Knowing Illich's Red Wings tendency though, if the Tigers are in good shape in July he will swing a big deal.

Flight #24
05-18-2006, 12:20 AM
The Tigers aren't going anywhere. I said last year they've got some good young arms, and they were a competitive team until August. They just fell apart. With a new manager, pretty good lineup, and those good young arms, they've got a good ball club. The Sox need to take care of business with the Tigers, and they will be in good shape. I hope the Tigers win the WC, however. Anything that goes against Boston or New York is fine by me.

IMO the Tigers main problem is that while they've got a great offense and a solid pitching staff, they've got a ton of question marks in terms of season-long performance.

- Can Maggs/IRod/Guillen stay healthy? This has generally not been their strong suit
- Can Verlander & Rogers maintain all season? Kenny Rogers 2d halfs have been markedly worse than his first halves the past 2 years, and he ain't getting any younger. As for Verlander - if he approaches 200IP at the big league level, it's unknown how his arm will perform.
- Can Mike Maroth and current 2.3 ERA (previous career low = 4.3) maintain?

Obviously, the Sox have questions as well, but their guys are all just a little more proven with the exception of Jenks. The SPs are proven horses, and the only real injury threats are Thome & Dye (although those would be big ones).

IMO the Tigers will hang around, but the Sox will be stronger in September and that's what will pull them through.

TheOldRoman
05-18-2006, 01:16 AM
Cleveland is really a big mystery...another disappointing start, although they didn't bomb the first couple of weeks like the last couple of seasons.

How many games have they lost to KC, 6 or 7? Of course, we don't have much to laugh about with the Royals this season either.

Ozzie always says the Tigers have the best line-up top to bottom in the Central...although some would pick the Indians, and the White Sox are much stronger, obviously.

Rogers has really changed the mentality of this team...even though he is a jerk. Verlander and Bonderman have almost the same quality of stuff as Contreras, and Robertson and Maroth are sneaky tough. Definitely an upgrade from J. Johnson....no surprise he is struggling in CLE.

Zumaya, Rodney and Todd Jones give them a better pen than the Sox.

We have the advantage is the back of the starting rotation and the bench.

Conceivably, neither the AL West teams nor the Yankees-Red Sox will make the playoffs, with either the Sox or the Tigers coming out of the Central...especially with the Royals much weaker than the D-Rays. The B-Jays and Orioles are competitive....it should be interesting. I don't know how to respond to that other than :rolleyes:. You may have the same affliction for the Tigers Homefish has for the Twins.

When will the Tigers let up? When we put our ****ing foot on their collective throat and don't let up. This team is the 2005 Orioles, and they even have their own Brian Roberts (Shelton). I will start to get worried when they show that they can compete with us, let alone beat us. BTW, how is Babe Shelton doing lately? He is still hitting .400 with a homer every 9 at-bats, right? IS he still on pace for 150 RBI?

Fuller_Schettman
05-18-2006, 01:35 AM
I guess we know who will now be in the Geoff Blum/Carl Everett July Sweepstakes Derby!

Tigerclaw
05-18-2006, 01:43 AM
I guess we know who will now be in the Geoff Blum/Carl Everett July Sweepstakes Derby!

Incorrect

NSSoxFan
05-18-2006, 01:49 AM
Should I say it again? Ok, ok...here it goes....

BRING. IT. ON.

PalehosePlanet
05-18-2006, 01:50 AM
They are due for a slump -- and it WILL happen. I don't really know how long Maroth and Robertson can keep their pace up; they're decent but not solid. As far as Verlander goes: he's a rookie and will run out of gas by late July or early August. Also, Kenny Rogers for the last 5 seasons has been lights-out in the first half and downright dreadful the second half. As far as the pen goes, Rodney et al are all unproven.

The offense is the 2002-2003 White Sox: 15 runs one night, 2 the next three nights.

They are decent, but we'll see.

Tigerclaw
05-18-2006, 01:59 AM
They are due for a slump -- and it WILL happen. I don't really know how long Maroth and Robertson can keep there pace up; they're decent but not solid. As far as Verlander goes: he's a rookie and will run out of gas by late July or early August. Also, Kenny Rogers for the last 5 seasons has been lights-out in the first half and downright dreadful the second half. As far as the pen goes, Rodney et al are all unproven.

The offense is the 2002-2003 White Sox: 15 runs one night, 2 the next three nights.

They are decent, but we'll see.

Every team slumps, good teams don't slump for long. They have had a few bad weeks so far, but rebounded with winning streaks to bounce back, which is what good teams do. Two weeks ago the Tigers were 3.5 games out and now they are tied again...they've had four 5 game winning streaks and are currently on a 6 game streak.

Can't guys have career years? Maroth and Robertson both came up young with bad teams that didn't have a veteran like Rogers to be a mentor. They are around the same age that Rogers was when he started to become very good and they pitch similarly. I remember when people were saying the same things about Garland and Contreras last year...they were guys that were no better than decent until things clicked for them last year, so I think you now know that they could be in for career years.

PalehosePlanet
05-18-2006, 02:25 AM
Sorry Tigerclaw, I just don't see the comparison of Garland and Contreras whom were both blue chip prospects with huge upside (especially Contreras) just waiting to break through to Robertson and Maroth. I don't mean to rip on them but they are just average pitchers and by August you'll agree with me.

As far as the overall direction of the organization: I'm glad that you guys are awakening from your slumber and playing competitive ball again. It's good for baseball.

Tigerclaw
05-18-2006, 02:38 AM
Sorry Tigerclaw, I just don't see the comparison of Garland and Contreras whom were both blue chip prospects with huge upside (especially Contreras) just waiting to break through to Robertson and Maroth. I don't mean to rip on them but they are just average pitchers and by August you'll agree with me.

As far as the overall direction of the organization: I'm glad that you guys are awakening from your slumber and playing competitive ball again. It's good for baseball.

Finesse lefties hardly ever are considered blue chip prospects in the minors (Was Mark Buehrle? Where was he drafted?) and just because you are a blue chip prospect doesn't mean you are automatically going to be a succesful and vice versa. There have been many lefties that take time to put things together, Kenny Rogers, Jaime Moyer, and Randy Johnson come to mind. Will Maroth have an ERA under 3 at the end of the season, I doubt it, but I think he could have one under 4 for the first time in his career and that would most likely mean he had a good year. Maybe come August you will agree with me.

PalehosePlanet
05-18-2006, 02:54 AM
Although not a power pitcher Buehrle is certainly NOT a finesse lefty ( I think that maybe Tim McCarver had gotten into your head when he described Tom Glavine rather than the actual Buehrle in the Pitchers-Profile at the start of game 2 of the World Series) and yes, of course, Maroth could have an ERA under 4. But ask yourself this: Can Rogers, Robertson, Verlander and Maroth ALL have ERAs of under 4.25? Can any one of them be under....umm...say...3.85? I just don't think so. In fact I'd be very surprised if any one of them had an ERA under 4.

Oh well, we'll agree to disagree and only time will tell.

Tigerclaw
05-18-2006, 03:08 AM
Although not a power pitcher Buehrle is certainly NOT a finesse lefty ( I think that maybe Tim McCarver had gotten into your head when he described Tom Glavine rather than the actual Buehrle in the Pitchers-Profile at the start of game 2 of the World Series) and yes, of course, Maroth could have an ERA under 4. But ask yourself this: Can Rogers, Robertson, Verlander and Maroth ALL have ERAs of under 4.25? Can any one of them be under....umm...say...3.85? I just don't think so. In fact I'd be very surprised if any one of them had an ERA under 4.

Oh well, we'll agree to disagree and only time will tell.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree because I think any or all of them could end up with an ERA under 4. You are right though, time will tell.

Steelrod
05-18-2006, 08:28 AM

Lip
I agree. It's going to be an exciting year. May the best team win(hopefully us) and the other get the wild card. And I suggest keep checking the rear view mirror for Cleveland. The AL Central is the best division in baseball (take that East). This is going to go down to the wire. Being that we're the World Champs makes this season less nerve wracking to watch.
FWIW- you can't pick up players at Cosco. It's not a matter of money, rather who makes the right deal when needed. Go Sox

jdm2662
05-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Does everyone remember last season when the Sox were off to a great start and no one except Sox fans felt the team was for real? What makes the Tigers any different? The same thing was said about the Sox is that is being said here (their starting pitching won't hold up, their bullpen isn't as proven, etc). How upset did Sox fans get when the doubters were out there? No one should assume the Tigers are going to falter. We won't know until the season continues. The Sox just need to take care of business against the Tigers, and they will have the division.

HomeFish
05-18-2006, 01:42 PM
And they're off to a quick lead against Minnesota once again.

Useless Twins.

Iwritecode
05-18-2006, 02:28 PM
And they're off to a quick lead against Minnesota once again.

Useless Twins.

They were pretty useless the last time they were in Detroit too. Cleveland and KC haven't been much help against the Tigers either.

The Sox are going to have to take care of business themselves again this year.

Fenway
05-18-2006, 02:31 PM
They just tagged our nemesis Johan Santana with a 2 run homer in the bottom of the 8th. Vance Wilson, of all people. 2-0 Tigers going into the top of the 9th with the Twins struggling to score just one run.

That Verlander is going to be a monster. Everyone has hyped Felix Hernandez, but this kid might be better in the long-term.

the 06 Tigers resemble the 97 Marlins. The GM and manager have been there, done that. Are they for real? Maybe

SBSoxFan
05-18-2006, 02:31 PM
Verlander and Bonderman have almost the same quality of stuff as Contreras

:thud:Not sure I agree with that. I don't know much about Verlander, but all I hear about Bonderman, from various sources, is that he's great. Meanwhile, he keeps posting 4+ ERAs.

palehozenychicty
05-18-2006, 02:35 PM
:thud:Not sure I agree with that. I don't know much about Verlander, but all I hear about Bonderman, from various sources, is that he's great. Meanwhile, he keeps posting 4+ ERAs.

Bonderman is very good, as he shut us down a couple times early last year before he tired in the second half. The Sox hit verlander hard on the last trip to motown, but he'll be a good one as well next year. Zumaya is their other young arm that throws high-octane stuff from the bullpen and will probably start next year. Detroit is a dangerous team if they can stay healthy..

oeo
05-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Wow, the Twins certainly came out with some intensity when they played the Sox...doesn't seem like they're doing the same with the Tigers...

DaleJRFan
05-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Last time I checked, the Sox OWN the Tigers. The only reason the Tigers aren't ahead of the Sox is because of an early-season sweep. Next time the Sox square off against the kittens, the dominance will continue.

Baby Fisk
05-18-2006, 02:46 PM
My buddy the Tigers fan is feeling good these days, but he keeps reminding himself: "It's only May." Normally his team's performances merited sympathy and kindness, but if this turns into a season-long race to the finish, I'll have to break out the trash talk. Should be fun!

palehozenychicty
05-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Wow, the Twins certainly came out with some intensity when they played the Sox...doesn't seem like they're doing the same with the Tigers...

The Tigers don't have WS rings. Everyone plays the champ tough. That's sports.

oeo
05-18-2006, 04:16 PM
The Tigers don't have WS rings. Everyone plays the champ tough. That's sports.

The Tigers are still at the top of the division, and if they think they're going anywhere, they need to beat the Tigers. They should bring that intensity to every game against division rivals.

tebman
05-18-2006, 04:31 PM
The Tigers are still at the top of the division, and if they think they're going anywhere, they need to beat the Tigers. They should bring that intensity to every game against division rivals.

Eh? :?:

jdm2662
05-18-2006, 04:35 PM
This is what makes the unbalanced scheduled a good thing. You can take care of business yourself, and not hope for other teams to do it for you. The 1990 White Sox did what they could when they played the A's, but no one else could stop them. The Sox have so far sweeping them earlier. They will need to do so again to stay on top. It's great for baseball. Anything to get either the Spankmees or Red Sox out of the playoffs works for me, too. :D:

oeo
05-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Eh? :?:
Sorry, let me re-state that.

He said that we're the champs, so the Twins bring extra intensity because of that. If the Twins think that they're going to contend for the division, they need to bring that same intensity against the Tigers. It doesn't make sense to me why they wouldn't...

bluestar
05-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Sorry, let me re-state that.

He said that we're the champs, so the Twins bring extra intensity because of that. If the Twins think that they're going to contend for the division, they need to bring that same intensity against the Tigers. It doesn't make sense to me why they wouldn't...

I think it had more to do with the Twins playing at home against the Sox and on the road against the Tigers. They (Twins) are a different team at home, as their home record proves.

I believed the Tigers would challenge the Sox before the season began, and I am even more convinced now it will be a race to the end. Every team goes through a tough streak sooner or later, and I think the Tigers still have that ahead of them. But for now, they are performing about as well as they possibly can.

chisoxmike
05-19-2006, 12:12 AM
Let's just hope the Reds don't start their annual nosedive tomorrow. Hope they can keep it going for the next few days.:D:

QCIASOXFAN
05-19-2006, 12:50 AM
I personally think that the Tigers are going to hang around for a while because they got a great offense and a few quality starting pitchers. They also have a coach that gives them a kick in the ass when they get out of line and doesn't except excuses or crappy play. Basically Jim Leyland is the opposite of Dusty Baker.

MUsoxfan
05-19-2006, 01:02 AM
Basically Jim Leyland is the opposite of Dusty Baker.

Looks like he's the opposite of Alan Trammell