PDA

View Full Version : The "Get Up Guy"

chisoxfanatic
05-17-2006, 07:23 PM
After hearing that one fan constantly yell out things to AJ Pierzynski tonight, I was thinking of Sox fans I know of who have been pretty loud and "in there." It immediately made me think of the GUG. Does anyone know what in fact happened to him?

TommyJohn
05-17-2006, 07:49 PM
HOW DARE YOU RIP HIM!! He's one of my very best friends, even if he is a...
!!!

Oh, sorry CSF. I had a flashback. Post-traumatic WSI Disorder.

HotelWhiteSox
05-17-2006, 07:55 PM
After hearing that one fan constantly yell out things to AJ Pierzynski tonight,

What the hell is he yelling?

chisoxfanatic
05-17-2006, 08:24 PM
What the hell is he yelling?

I can't quite make it out, as the sound is kinda muffed; but, it looks like AJ's becoming Public Enemy #1 at more and more places, which is exactly how AJ would like it.

chisoxfanatic
05-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Post-traumatic WSI Disorder.

???

I'm not ripping him at all.

Brian26
05-17-2006, 08:27 PM
After hearing that one fan constantly yell out things to AJ Pierzynski tonight, I was thinking of Sox fans I know of who have been pretty loud and "in there." It immediately made me think of the GUG. Does anyone know what in fact happened to him?

I ran into "Get Up Guy" at Comerica Park last September for the Wednesday night game before the clincher, then I saw him the next day at the clincher. He was sitting behind the Sox dugout. I was a few rows up from him, on the aisle. He high-fived me when he was walking up to the concourse on a food run and said that his kids had made him drive out to Detroit for the possible clincher. He came across as a really nice, down-to-earth guy.

HotelWhiteSox
05-17-2006, 08:33 PM
I can't quite make it out, as the sound is kinda muffed; but, it looks like AJ's becoming Public Enemy #1 at more and more places, which is exactly how AJ would like it.

I think it's Josh Paul's dad

bobelou72
05-17-2006, 08:46 PM
I think it's Josh Paul's dad:D: Lol

34rancher
05-17-2006, 08:51 PM
I ran into "Get Up Guy" at Comerica Park last September for the Wednesday night game before the clincher, then I saw him the next day at the clincher. He was sitting behind the Sox dugout. I was a few rows up from him, on the aisle. He high-fived me when he was walking up to the concourse on a food run and said that his kids had made him drive out to Detroit for the possible clincher. He came across as a really nice, down-to-earth guy.
I met him in Cleveland last year, I think his name is Dan, and he is either a cop or a correctional facility officer. Very nice guy. Extremely down to earth.

Blob
05-17-2006, 09:00 PM
:supernana: Zing!!!!

Law11
05-17-2006, 09:01 PM
Dan the get up guy.. Saw him at the opener..
Just became a bit more tame but he's still around.

Bobbo35
05-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Whoever was yelling almost the entire game had me cracking up.

chisoxfanatic
05-17-2006, 09:15 PM

I just spat water at my monitor! :tongue:

Hitmen77
05-17-2006, 09:21 PM

IIRC, the Sox told him to "tone down" his routine. Wasn't he doing his thing during the 2000 division title run?

soxjim
05-17-2006, 09:23 PM
Funny this is a thread. I was watching a SOX video from 2000. He was in the locker room in Minnesota when we clinched. I met him that day he is down to earth. Saw him this year appears a bit more calm. Maybe I should be more calm I wouldn't need a procedure done on my heart on Monday.

Iwritecode
05-17-2006, 10:23 PM
IIRC, he signed up here, got into an arguement and hasn't been back since.

thomas35forever
05-17-2006, 10:55 PM
Seriously, who is this guy?

My theory: a lowlife Angels fan who feels that scolding AJ for last year is his purpose for living.

Hosey22
05-18-2006, 01:08 AM
I ran into the get up guy last year at the united center like right after we won the series. We hugged, celebrated and we both agreed that we could now die. Good guy, good sox fan. And yeah the sight of him does bring back memories of the 2000 season. Those playoffs seem a little less painful to think about after 2005.

awesomefan
05-18-2006, 03:42 AM
I met Dan "The Get Up" at a tailgate party outside Comiskey before a Sox games a few years ago. Dan was very nice :cool:& brought a lot of food for the cookout.

DannyCaterFan
05-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Dan's a neighbor of mine and still attends many Sox games, both at home and on the road. He's just alot less vocal while at home these days.

boiler up
05-18-2006, 03:41 PM
call me an idiot, but who is the get up guy and what does he do?

hawkjt
05-18-2006, 05:12 PM
Get Up guy was a very energetic sox fan who came into my consciousness during the division winning season of 2000. He was at virtually every game with sign that said ''get up'' and at the appropriate times he would turn to the crowd behind home plate and brandish the sign encouraging the fans to get up and go nuts.

sox fans for the most part do that anyway but he added to the frenzy that season was. I talked to him and he was a nice guy. In law enforcement.

A lot of times there were only about 15 k there and we made a ton of noise. he helped out in creating that atmosphere.

TommyJohn
05-18-2006, 06:29 PM
???

I'm not ripping him at all.

Sorry, CSF. That should've been in teal. I wasn't directing that to you in
seriousness. I was just flashing back to the last post he put on this site
(he was registered here) which ripped people. It's a long story, and I
haven't been the nicest poster myself. Anyway it was a thread that
brought out a few drama kings and queens.

StockdaleForVeep
05-18-2006, 07:13 PM
This jag bag is at the game now screamin at widger

I dont care, whether his message is pro or anti sox, its annoying and distracting. Im surprised what fans arent there dont beat the snot out of him to shut him up. At first i just thought it was the crappy WCIU mic job that allows u to hear all the background noise, but u hear him with widger now

I want Mags back
05-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Dan's a neighbor of mine and still attends many Sox games, both at home and on the road. He's just alot less vocal while at home these days.

yeah i had read here he is from Monee

DMarte708
05-18-2006, 11:53 PM
If anyone unfamiliar with him ever listened to Jay Hood's radio show when he was on the Score, he'd frequently played a radio clip of the Get-Up Guy screaming "Let's go White Soxxxxxxx!"

Two locations you can hear Dan yell loudly are in Comerica and Kauffman Stadium.

I recall an afternoon game against the Royals last month where there was a lull moment in the broadcast between Hawk/DJ (no surprise), and--as if on cue--he yells, "Let's Go White Soxxxxxx!" All you sudden you hear a score of people booing him, followed by Hawk/DJ chucking and mentioning his presence in the stands by name.

spiffie
05-19-2006, 12:51 AM
This jag bag is at the game now screamin at widger

I dont care, whether his message is pro or anti sox, its annoying and distracting. Im surprised what fans arent there dont beat the snot out of him to shut him up. At first i just thought it was the crappy WCIU mic job that allows u to hear all the background noise, but u hear him with widger now
When I first read the post I thought you were accusing the Get Up Guy of going down to Tampa and yelling at the Sox.

Apparently that guy is there a lot in Tampa, sort of their personal Robin Ficker according to my roommate who used to live down in FL and went to a bunch of D-Ray games.

HotelWhiteSox
05-19-2006, 01:40 AM
This guy at the DRay game was back today, even though Widger was catching. He was my cue for a Widger at bat when I was listening on the radio and Farmleton went on an off topic story

whitesoxwin
05-19-2006, 06:42 AM
Dan's around....
I see him at just about all the games I attend.
Yea, he has toned it down, but he is still who he is...
A great Sox fan and a real nice guy.
Hey, what the heck...He had his so-called 15 minutes of fame, but in 2000, he was the MAN.
Big deal he yelled...sometimes (especially in 2000) we needed a little pumping up.
Let's go White Sox!!!

A.T. Money
05-19-2006, 02:39 PM
I've seen him outside of the park too.

One thing he always yells is..

"LET'S GO WHITE SOOOOOOX!!!"

The score plays his sound clip every now and then.