PDA

View Full Version : 5/16 games - report from Indy

maurice
05-17-2006, 06:03 PM
As noted in the other thread, Charlotte won 3-0.

Phillips dominated: 8 IP, 0 R, 6 H, 1 BB, 3 K. He's now 4-2 with a 2.03 ERA. Pretty impressive for a guy with a 86-88 MPH fastball, a good change, and an unremarkable breaking pitch.

Farnsworth notched his 9th save.

Rogo made a couple of great defensive plays, including a dig on a tough throw that required him to nearly do the splits. He also scored the first run of the game by ripping a line-drive single to LF, stealing 2B, stealing 3B, and then scoring when the catcher's throw went in to LF. He played the rest of the game with a huge hole in his pants.
:redface:

Lopez 2-4, SB. He played 2B again. I assume they're trying to refamiliarize him with a position that he hasn't played regularly in quite some time. He looked great defensively, as always, making a couple of relatively tough groundball outs look easy. He also made a fantastic turn on a DP that required him to pivot 180 degrees and fire over the baserunner, who was right on top of him.

Fields 2-4, R, 2 SB. He stole second, advanced to third on a sharp single by Ernie Young, and then stole home on a double-steal. The Indians fans cheered when the rather rotund Young was tagged for the third out, not realizing that Fields already had crossed home plate and that the run counted.
:rolleyes:

In all, the Knights stole 6 bases and laid down 2 perfect sac bunts (by Rogo and Owens) that almost resulted in hits.
:gulp:

An RBI opportunity was taken away from Fields by a ridiculously blown call on a check swing for strike 3. The home plate umpire called it a ball but allowed an appeal to the 1B ump. Unfortunately, because there were multiple baserunners, he wasn't standing anywhere near 1B. The lack of relevant positioning didn't stop him from ringing up Fields. Razor Shines (who pulls double-duty as manager and 3B coach) lost his mind, repeatedly screaming "Let's Go!" Later, Phillips fooled a baserunner with his great near-balk move (the runner looked like he broke his ankles trying to get back) and picked him off by a wide margin. The same ump called the runner safe. Razor stormed out of the dugout and let him have it for a good 3 minutes. Somebody mentioned that the union umps are back or will be back soon. This crew looked like a bunch of scabs...or at least guys with an awful lot of rust.

maurice
05-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Birmingham lost 3-2.
Rodriguez 7 IP, 3 R, 8 H, 2 BB, 4 K, 3 HBP.
Nanita 1-2, R, RBI, S, SF, OF Ast (at home).
Getz doubled and scored.
Valido 2-4.
Smith 2-3, BB, SB.

W-S won 3-1.
Egbert 7 IP, 1 R, 7 H, 0 BB, 6 K.
Gomes and Haggerty hit solo-HRs.
Smith 1-3, HBP, SB (11), CS (5).
Lucy doubled and scored.

Kanny won 4-2 and made no errors!
Brooks 5.2 IP, 2 R, 4 H, 2 BB, 5K, WP, HBP.
Tartaglia 1-3, 2 BB, SB.
Hollis 2-4, 2 RBI.
Roberts hit a solo-HR.

He gone
05-17-2006, 06:18 PM
Maurice, Do you know who's pitching tomorrow for the Knights? I was thinking Tracey. Barring a rain-out I'll be there:D:

maurice
05-17-2006, 06:31 PM
I think it's Redding's turn, then Tracey.