PDA

View Full Version : Remember this guy?

nug0hs
05-17-2006, 02:02 PM
:dustin:

Has anyone heard any updates about his status? With all this talk about the lower end of our bullpen needing serious attention should we start to think about giving up on and replacing his spot on the 40-man? I personally think his time with us is done.

itsnotrequired
05-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Hermanson Update

Many of you have asked about the health of Dustin Hermanson.

He has started a throwing program in Tucson and will continue to increase his schedule as his endurance and pain threshold allow. The next step after that would be for Dustin to go on a rehab stint to one of our minor league affiliates, although that remains to be decided in the future.

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/inside_the_white_sox/2006/05/monday_holdover.html

kittle42
05-17-2006, 02:19 PM
Hoping for Hermanson to come back and solidify the pen is akin to waiting for Kerry Wood and Mark Prior to return to solidify a rotation...the only question is how many more games after a return he'd actually pitch in.

Lip Man 1
05-17-2006, 02:20 PM
I would be very shocked if Dustin ever threw a pitch for the Sox in a meaningful game again. His back didn't get better after four months of off season and specific work to help it. It's not going to get any better now.

The issue is that he can't pitch in consecutive days and is 'iffy' even if he's had a few days off. Ozzie specifically said the Sox won't even consider bringing him up until he shows he can go out in back to back (no pun intended!) days.

Regarding a 'timetable' I have never read or heard anything earlier then July in a best case situation.

Lip

white sox bill
05-17-2006, 02:34 PM
I would be very shocked if Dustin ever threw a pitch for the Sox in a meaningful game again. His back didn't get better after four months of off season and specific work to help it. It's not going to get any better now.

The issue is that he can't pitch in consecutive days and is 'iffy' even if he's had a few days off. Ozzie specifically said the Sox won't even consider bringing him up until he shows he can go out in back to back (no pun intended!) days.

Regarding a 'timetable' I have never read or heard anything earlier then July in a best case situation.

Lip

I'm normally an optimist, but I fear Hermie's days are numbered as a pitcher period. From what I've gathered, he's pretty much done. Hope I'm wrong

rdwj
05-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Stick a fork in him - he's done

DaleJRFan
05-17-2006, 02:37 PM
It's really too bad for Dustin. He played such an important part in the Sox success in 05. Too bad he can't help the team in 06. It's really got to be bothering him, sitting in "rehab" watching the team struggle with relief pitching.

:gulp: Here's to hoping for a Hermanson return (though highly unlikely..)

jdm2662
05-17-2006, 02:40 PM
It's sad, but it's pretty much true at this point. I don't think Hermanson will ever pitch for the Sox again. I'm rooting for him to come back since he was great last year. However, if he can't physically do the job, there isn't much else you can do. It sucks, but it's the life of an athlete. I'd rather him not pitch again if it means further damage to his body. He mentioned the pain was so bad, he couldn't even pick up his daughter last season.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-17-2006, 06:13 PM
If he's truly done I wish we could throw SouthPaw under the bus and make Dustin some sort of mascot. I think he's awesome.

HotelWhiteSox
05-17-2006, 06:15 PM
What I've done is just assume he's done for the year. If he gets better and can go later on in the season, then it's a pleasant surprise, but you can't get burned on hoping on that return, so you have to make moves thinking he's gone

BRDSR
05-18-2006, 04:40 PM
If he's truly done I wish we could throw SouthPaw under the bus and make Dustin some sort of mascot. I think he's awesome.

Does throwing South Paw under a bus really have to be contingent on the outcome of Hermanson's rehab?

Frontman
05-18-2006, 11:40 PM
All tossing of mascots under the bus aside, what could Dustin do if he couldn't come back as a player? Would be a good coach for us or another club (not suggesting he'd replace Cooper, but do they have assistant pitching coaches?) He really doesn't have the face for being a TV guy, but what about for radio? Think having Hermanson up there could help Singelton out?

I really dug him on the mound, its a shame it might be over, but man, talk about having a great way to go out. Noone can say he didn't retire without a ring.

Front

QCIASOXFAN
05-19-2006, 12:20 AM
If he's truly done I wish we could throw SouthPaw under the bus and make Dustin some sort of mascot. I think he's awesome.:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Steelrod
05-19-2006, 07:26 PM
All tossing of mascots under the bus aside, what could Dustin do if he couldn't come back as a player? Would be a good coach for us or another club (not suggesting he'd replace Cooper, but do they have assistant pitching coaches?) He really doesn't have the face for being a TV guy, but what about for radio? Think having Hermanson up there could help Singelton out?

I really dug him on the mound, its a shame it might be over, but man, talk about having a great way to go out. Noone can say he didn't retire without a ring.

Front
I'm guessing that management isn't all that happy about him not admitting that he still had pain prior to contract.

ode to veeck
05-20-2006, 09:32 AM
exerpt from 5/20 Gonzo/Sullie Cubine article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/chi-0605200243may20,1,6842080.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

Injured White Sox reliever Dustin Hermanson hasn't pitched in a game since mid-March because of recurring lower-back pain, but he hasn't ruled out a return after an encouraging bullpen session Thursday in Tucson.

"I'm trying to graduate to levels," Hermanson said. "I'd like to go from bullpens to batting practice to [extended spring] games to [the minors]."

Lip Man 1
05-20-2006, 10:40 AM
The same story also said he had back pain again while throwing his first session and that he was surprised he wasn't hurting as badly this time around.

He'd be a wonderful addition (but I'm not counting on it...)

Lip