PDA

View Full Version : AJ 'Hot Seat' Interview on ESPN/Sportscenter

HotelWhiteSox
05-17-2006, 01:47 AM
AJ was just on the "hot seat" with Trey Wingo. Recap:

Q- What's the biggest thing that's changed in your life since the White Sox won the World Series?

I have this shiny new ring and a lot of people seem to recognize me ever since I struck out.

Q- How do people treat you differently since winning the World Series?

A lot more free beers in bars in Chicago, and people come up to me looking to buy me a drink and tell me how smart I was. A lot of people in Chicago when I was in Minnesota told me how stupid I was, now they tell me how smart I was, it's a nice change.

Q- What's the one thing the 06 White Sox do better than the last team?

We keep out of trouble more. Ozzie keeps his mouth shut more and I try stay out of things more.

Q- What does Ozzie do to keep this team focused and not complacent?

Well, after a game, he yells at me a lot so that's out of the way. During the game, um, he yells at me a lot. I take it, I laugh, a lot of times I can't understand it, I take it, it's meant for good reason, he takes care of me in other ways.

Q- When Ozzie is getting in your face, what's going through your head?

Well, first I can't believe how many cuss words can come out of a guy's mouth in 2 minutes. Then, I have to go through my short Spanish knowledge, try to figure out what he's trying to say. When he yells at me, it's cuss words and Spanglish so I gotta try and figure it out.

Q- You played with Barry Bonds, what's your take on Barry Bonds?

He's a guy that likes to be by himself, away from everyone, and if you let that bother you it'll drive you insane. But he tries to help the team in his own way. When he's in that batter's box, then for 5-10 minutes he's the best teammate in the history of the game.

jenn2080
05-17-2006, 07:13 AM
This is why AJ is one of my fav players

ode to veeck
05-17-2006, 07:16 AM
Hilarious stuff, I'll have to catch the interview.

The Big Squirt
05-17-2006, 08:27 AM
I really hate the Hot Seat - usually canned answers and pretty cupcake questions.

RichFitztightly
05-17-2006, 12:30 PM
I really hate the Hot Seat - usually canned answers and pretty cupcake questions.

Agreed. At first, they gave the pretense that they'd ask tough questions. Mostly the players would decline to answer. Now they should rename it the "Budweiser Marshmallow Seat." That sounds comfy.

batmanZoSo
05-17-2006, 12:35 PM

Who wants to answer tough questions? I know I wouldn't drive out to the studio to be put on the spot. It's hard to blame ESPN for that, they have to make sure they can get guys to commit to any kind of interview. It's not quite what the name would imply, but I've always liked the interview anyway.

bayzbol44
05-17-2006, 01:56 PM
Good take on Barry Bonds (from a teammate view).

SOecks
05-17-2006, 02:11 PM
I actually struggled through SportsCenter to watch this today and it was pretty funny. Gotta love our players getting more national media love. They deserve it.