PDA

View Full Version : ESPN on 2003 Cubs

Chisox_cali
01-31-2002, 07:41 PM
In the Cubs HOT STOVE HEATER (http://espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove2002/cubs.html) It has a nice long drink of the Cubbie Kool-Aid for the 2003 Season, getting a little ahead of your selfs ESPN?

Here's the 2003 Portion:

Here's a new slogan for die-hards to try out: Wait til next, next year. Not that the 2002 season will be painful to watch or anything; with Moises Alou on board to bolster the offense, the Cubs should give Houston and St. Louis a good run for the NL Central crown. But this year's team is no powerhouse, and certainly not the foundation of dynasty, not with the likes of aging stopgaps Todd Hundley, Delino Deshields, Jason Bere and Bill Mueller taking the field, and stick-impaired Alex Gonzalez manning short.

The 2003 Cubbies, though? Assuming Andy McPhail doesn't trade the rest of his young studs for Doug Brocail or someone like him, the Cubs could field a young team that the organization can build around for the next decade, much like the Braves and Yanks have built around their farm hands.

Here's a glimpse, then, into the Cubs' very near future with 2003 Opening Day age in parenthesis:

2B: Bobby Hill (25): A Chuck Knoblauch type: Great on-base skills, gap power, speed.

SS: Clearly, the Cubs still view 2000 first-rounder Luis Montanez (21) as the future at short, despite his mediocre 2001 season. Why else would they trade 20-year-old Adam Morrissey, he of the infinitely superior numbers at a higher classification, to the A's for journeyman Mark Belhorn (BTW, McPhail really, really should stop returning Billy Beane's phone calls. That's two serious prospects -- Eric Hinske was the first -- that Beane has fleeced from the Cubs the last two seasons for spare machinery.) If Montanez isn't ready -- and he's not likely to be, unless he takes a major leap this year -- Cubs fans will have to endure one more year of AGonz.

RF: Sammy Sosa (34): He's playing at such an elite level that even given his inevitable, age-induced decline, he will continue to play at an All-Star caliber level for at least three more years. Wait, did we say inevitable decline? As Barry Bonds proves, sometimes the elite buck the inevitable. We'll see.

1B: Hee Seop Choi (24): The Cubs originally targeted him to take over first base this year, but an injury-plagued 2001 season at Triple-A delayed his ascent. Still, his power and secondary skills place him just beneath Carlos Pena and Nick Johnson in the pantheon of elite first-base slugging prospects.

LF: Moises Alou (36): He may have a long-term deal, but considering his age and injury history, the Cubs will likely have to start entertaining full-time left-field alternatives by as soon as 2003. That said, there's some interesting outfield talent on the brink; On the major-league level Roosevelt Brown (27), if the Cubs ever allow him to break out. At Double-A: Nic Jackson (22).

3B: David Kelton (23): Improving strike-zone judgment and power stroke should mask concerns about his defense.

CF: Corey Patterson (23): Most skill-based scouts remain convinced that Patterson is the real deal. And granted, even if his 2001 season (split between Triple-A and the Cubs) was decidedly poor, he was still just 21. But if Patterson is going to be a long-term fixture, he has to show a little sumptin in 2002. Not superstar numbers, but anything resembling progress: .270/.340/.480 would be fine.

C: Ryan Jorgensen (23): It's way, way premature to anoint Jorgensen as Hundley's heir apparent, considering a) he's only played one full year of pro ball b) the Cubs decade-long inability to develop promising catchers past even Double-A (Pat Cline anyone?) and c) all lists must have three. So there.

Rotation
Kerry Wood (26)
Juan Cruz (24)
Carlos Zambrano (21)
Mark Prior (22)
Jon Lieber (33) or Ben Christensen (25)

Closer
Kyle Farnsworth (27)

Three words: Yowza, that's hot.

Actually, 74 more words: Is this Smoltz, Avery, Glavine redux? Oswalt, Redding, Hernandez? Or could it be Pulsipher, Wilson, Isringhausen? Who knows? Right now, all the Cubs can do is hope that injuries don't curtail what could be one cool rotation -- and that given the opportunity (give it to 'em, Andy), these guys actually live up to the hype.

Hope? For a miserable organization that hasn't won a World Series in 93 years, here's to next, next year.

cheeses_h_rice
01-31-2002, 08:51 PM
I think it's time we invent an official "Blue Rock" tag.

FWC, how about this?

FarWestChicago
01-31-2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

FWC, how about this? LOL, what the heck is that?

kermittheefrog
01-31-2002, 08:57 PM

FWC, how about this?

I'm assuming this is for when Cubbie Kool Aid just doesn't get the point accross properly? I can just see "Oh man this guy is obviously doing the blue rock"

Chisox_cali
01-31-2002, 08:58 PM

FWC, how about this?

Yes I was debating whether or not to label it as a blue rock huffing but that about says it all

cheeses_h_rice
01-31-2002, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
LOL, what the heck is that?

Heh, it's the ocean flowing over a blue rock. Not clear, I'm guessing?

It's the closest I could come on Google image search, unless you wanted the logo of a company called Blue Rock.

kermittheefrog
01-31-2002, 09:00 PM

Heh, it's the ocean flowing over a blue rock. Not clear, I'm guessing?

It's the closest I could come on Google image search, unless you wanted the logo of a company called Blue Rock.

I'll open up photoshop and do a little imagine editting, I have an idea for this.

FarWestChicago
01-31-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

I'll open up photoshop and do a little imagine editting, I have an idea for this. Cool. Cheeses is right. We need a Blue Rock tag for those trans Kool-Aid occasions. :D:

WinningUgly!
01-31-2002, 09:11 PM
Cool. Cheeses is right. We need a Blue Rock tag for those trans Kool-Aid occasions. :D:

Here's the blue "Rock". :D:

cheeses_h_rice
01-31-2002, 09:15 PM
I'll try not be quite so subtle...

Chisox_cali
01-31-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Here's the blue "Rock". :D:

Oh man that is F'n great!!!! :D:

FarWestChicago
01-31-2002, 09:19 PM
I'll try not be quite so subtle... I'll install that one. If kermit comes up with something killer, I'll change. :smile:

:bluerock

cheeses_h_rice
01-31-2002, 09:25 PM
Here is something closer to the real, actual blue (cocaine) rock, but I like the one with 4 Flubbie logos on it except for its relative lack of image fidelity.

kermittheefrog
01-31-2002, 09:28 PM
Blue Rock :-)

FarWestChicago
01-31-2002, 09:36 PM
Blue Rock :-) I like both the first cheeses one and kermit's. Now I don't know which one to use. :smile:

kermittheefrog
01-31-2002, 09:40 PM
I like both the first cheeses one and kermit's. Now I don't know which one to use. :smile:

Maybe we should do a poll.

FarWestChicago
01-31-2002, 09:42 PM

Maybe we should do a poll. I'll set one up.