PDA

View Full Version : Crosstown hate/love?

Berkules
05-16-2006, 04:04 PM
LA radio is packed with talk about the philosophy of teams in the same city (i.e. if Laker fans should root for the Clippers and if LA Kings fans should root for the Ducks) so the White Sox/Cubs rivalry always comes up.
Since I'm in LA where the people who call the shows are all ignorant, no one makes a valid points at all, so I get no real input.

The quote today at lunch was
[some host to another some host] "You're a Cubs fan, were you happy when the White Sox won the World Series?"
Response: "Cubs fans don't hate White Sox fans but White Sox fans hate Cubs fans because the Cubs get more love from the city."

What percentage of White Sox fans:
A. HATE the Cubs
B. Don't mind the Cubs and rooted for them circa Bartman playoffs
C. Like the Cubs as much as the Good Guys

areilly
05-16-2006, 04:21 PM
A. HATE the Cubs

While empirical data consists entirely of speculation and biased guesswork, I'd guess it looked like this:

A. 75%
B. 5%
C. 5%

And there would have to be a "D. What Cubs?" which I'd put at 15%.

steveironcity
05-16-2006, 04:22 PM
I hate the Cubs, and even though im nowhere near as diehard as the other Sox fans here, my hate runs deep. From the whining of their fans, to the phoney "curses", to the fact that 90 percent of the people at Wrigley arent there for the game, to the fact their "fans" (read:bandwagon) come to my teams park and act obnoxious. I could go on and on.

Corlose 15
05-16-2006, 04:24 PM
First of all, I'm pretty sure this is Whats the Score material

Its pretty funny when people try to say that Cubs fans don't hate the White Sox. Its total BS, I'm sure thats why they don't sell "Sox Suck" shirts outside Wrigley or there aren't any anti Sox sites on the net. :rolleyes: Talk about an elitist attitude.

As for me, I have a geniune dislike of the Cubs for many reasons. I enjoy watching them lose but that attitude has died a little bit since the WS. I mostly just shake my head and smile now when someone says something about them.

Chip Z'nuff
05-16-2006, 04:25 PM
Hate is not a strong enough word my friend

Berkules
05-16-2006, 04:29 PM
First of all, I'm pretty sure this is Whats the Score material
Mods, if this is in the wrong section sorry about the hassle...
I really only like the Cubs because Derrek Lee is there and my brother struck him out in high school (but also gave up a blast that hasn't landed yet)...

batmanZoSo
05-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Its pretty funny when people try to say that Cubs fans don't hate the White Sox.Its total BS, I'm sure thats why they don't sell "Sox Suck" shirts outsided Wrigley or there aren't any anti Sox sites on the net. :rolleyes: Talk about an elitist attitude.

Exactly.

Hangar18
05-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Im not one of those fans, who says he hates a certain team, but cant really come up with a "good" reason why he hates them. With the Cubs, its so easy its not funny. From the arrogance of the organization, to the arrogance of their fans, from the way they ran out the last Commissioner in baseball, to the way they manhandled their own "fans" who own property across the street, to the way they landgrabbed city right-of-way property directly next to their stadium, to their fans' sense of entitlement, to their refusal to go to the Western Division on the LUDICROUS argument they would "lose our fanbase". Having the dumbest fans on the planet, not to mention their ownership has done everything they could possibly do, to negate the perception of SOX fans and the park. Theres more to this of course, but this is just a sliver of WHY I hate that team with a Passion.
Go Sox.

twsoxfan5
05-16-2006, 04:35 PM
I love the White Sox and I don't care about the Cubs. I wasn't always this way but it is so much easier and it makes my baseball life much more enjoyable when I am not worrying about the Northsiders. I know they have a lot of dumb fans and they get a lot more respect then they are due, but I don't let any of that bother me anymore. I would suggest this way of life to anyone who finds themselves worrying about the Cubs on a regular basis.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-16-2006, 04:57 PM
I don't mind them but I never root for them. Never

Hitmen77
05-16-2006, 05:24 PM
LA radio is packed with talk about the philosophy of teams in the same city (i.e. if Laker fans should root for the Clippers and if LA Kings fans should root for the Ducks) so the White Sox/Cubs rivalry always comes up.
Since I'm in LA where the people who call the shows are all ignorant, no one makes a valid points at all, so I get no real input.

The quote today at lunch was
[some host to another some host] "You're a Cubs fan, were you happy when the White Sox won the World Series?"
Response: "Cubs fans don't hate White Sox fans but White Sox fans hate Cubs fans because the Cubs get more love from the city."

That is total bull****!!! It's another one of those myths sold to the public by Cubs fans. Most of the Cub fans I know are so pissed that the Sox won the World Series that they can hardly stand it!

The funniest remark I hear from Cub fans is "I really don't like baseball, but I like the Cubs and hate the Sox". I have had this commment made to me many times over the years. I think this comment really says it all about Cub fans.

pdimas
05-16-2006, 05:36 PM
That is total bull****!!! It's another one of those myths sold to the public by Cubs fans. Most of the Cub fans I know are so pissed that the Sox won the World Series that they can hardly stand it!

The funniest remark I hear from Cub fans is "I really don't like baseball, but I like the Cubs and hate the Sox". I have had this commment made to me many times over the years. I think this comment really says it all about Cub fans.

I totally agree. I can't even count the number of cub fans who have told me that they absolutely hate the Sox. When I ask about their supposed indifference they say no way they are indifferent.

One of those fans was at the opener this year and, since he had no Sox gear, was dressed from head to toe in gray and black. He very humbly pulled me aside and admitted that our team was pretty damned good and that he might even be leaning more towards the Sox this year. In his defense the guy is a diehard baseball fan and watches avidly. Eyes are definitely starting to open in Chicago.

Chips
05-16-2006, 05:44 PM
I love the White Sox and I don't care about the Cubs. I wasn't always this way but it is so much easier and it makes my baseball life much more enjoyable when I am not worrying about the Northsiders. I know they have a lot of dumb fans and they get a lot more respect then they are due, but I don't let any of that bother me anymore. I would suggest this way of life to anyone who finds themselves worrying about the Cubs on a regular basis.

I couldn't agree with you more. I hate Cleveland and Minnesota and Detroit and Kansas City a lot more.

And when the Cubs play Detroit, Cleveland, and Minnesota come June, I hope the Cubs win those games.

tick53
05-16-2006, 05:55 PM
The Crosstown is a big event, but I could live without it. Personally, it would
not make me mad to see interleague play dropped completely, or at least do it every other season.

Reni
05-16-2006, 06:33 PM
I hate the Cubs more than any other team......this comes from growing up in St. Louis as a Cardinals fan and then becoming a White Sox fan after moving to Chicago.

So, my answer would be A.....and yes, hate isn't a strong enough word.

I have never been a fan of interleague play.....you wanna play the other league? get your arse to the World Series. That's my take on it......however, as long as we have it I look forward to the Crosstown games.......

Nellie_Fox
05-16-2006, 08:27 PM
The funniest remark I hear from Cub fans is "I really don't like baseball, but I like the Cubs and hate the Sox". I have had this commment made to me many times over the years. I think this comment really says it all about Cub fans.Yes, it's perfect. If you don't like baseball, you're far better off being a Cubs fan than a Sox fan.

TheOldRoman
05-16-2006, 09:28 PM
The funniest remark I hear from Cub fans is "I really don't like baseball, but I like the Cubs and hate the Sox". I have had this commment made to me many times over the years. I think this comment really says it all about Cub fans. Exactly, and it is part of the reason the Cubs "have more fans".
As I have said many times before, Cubs fans are defined territorially, unlike Sox fans.
For instance, John lives in Oak Lawn, but he isn't a baseball fan, and doesn't pretend to be. He has no favorite team.
Mike lives in Schaumburg, so he is a self proclaimed Cubs fan. He knows nothing about baseball, he doesn't actually follow the Cubs, and has never watched an entire game on TV. However, since he lives in Cubs territory, he was taught that he is a Cubs fan. I work with a guy who at first said he wasn't really a baseball fan". He later went on about how much the Sox suck.

I suppose there are many reasons for this. First and foremost is the "popularity" associated with being a Cubs fan - you are "cool" and "hip". Also, there is the superiority complex which is fueled by the media, i.e. - Cubs fans are smart, elite, classy people. Most Cubs fans honestly believe they are better human beings becuase they root for the loveable losers.

Back to my original point. When you are counting people who actually pay attention to baseball, at least casually, you see that there as at least as many Sox fans as Cubs fans. It isn't cool to be a Sox fan, so you don't see people who know nothing whatsoever about baseball putting down the Cubs.

Sox-on-TV44
05-17-2006, 10:31 AM
I couldn't agree with you more. I hate Cleveland and Minnesota and Detroit and Kansas City a lot more.

And when the Cubs play Detroit, Cleveland, and Minnesota come June, I hope the Cubs win those games. OH,CRAP!

A useful purpose for the Cubs?!
They have to play the Tigers,Twins and Indians?

OH,CRAP!!!!!

Mod Edit: Then it was a really stupid idea to violate the language filter right before the crosstown series. See you in a week.

getonbckthr
05-17-2006, 10:44 AM
To me the Cubs are like the Drays, Giants Orioles etc etc. They are another team that my team plays. Their fans on the otherhand I really can't stand. Most don't know baseball. I view Wrigley field as a bar. You know how sometimes you walk into a bar and see a little group of people watching the pool table or the dart board, Wrigley field is the same except instead of pool or darts its a baseball game.

Scottiehaswheels
05-17-2006, 10:48 AM
To me the Cubs are like the Drays, Giants Orioles etc etc. They are another team that my team plays. Their fans on the otherhand I really can't stand. Most don't know baseball. I view Wrigley field as a bar. You know how sometimes you walk into a bar and see a little group of people watching the pool table or the dart board, Wrigley field is the same except instead of pool or darts its a baseball game.I second this motion... I wouldn't hate the Cubs so much if it wasn't for their fans...

Chip Z'nuff
05-17-2006, 10:50 AM
You know its funny I remember when they started marketing the field and not the club, I remember getting a direct mail piece in about 1995 from the Cubs that went on and on about a Wrigley Field experience. I laughed and laughed, it was hard to believe that an mlb organization would try to attract fans not with baseball, but with an experience in a stadium.

Hangar18
05-17-2006, 10:53 AM
Dumbest fans on the planet. From cheering for Pop-ups, to not knowing the score (scoreboard right infront of them), to forgetting which players are on their team, to not knowing what place thier team is in, to Booing on command (when newspaper tells them to), to them improperly quoting past statistics ("we have more WS wins than you guys) to telling you the sox stink without any real reasonwhy, to saying the Commissioner "hated" the cubs and wanted them to go broke, thats why baseball kicked out Fay Vincent out of office,
yeah, thats why I think that fanbase are a bunch of Imbeciles

Uncle_Patrick
05-17-2006, 11:04 AM
I dislike Cubs fans more than the actual team. I have several good friends who are Cubs fans, but I really dislike the arrogance and elitism that tends to be inherent to the bulk of Cub-dumb. If I'm rooting for a team to lose, its generally going to be any AL Central team before the Cubs, but I enjoy the misery those fans go through when the Cubs lose.

Layla
05-17-2006, 12:22 PM
I work with quite a few Cubs fans. What bothers me is when we talk about going to games, they always talk about the Wrigley Field experience. Never about the team, about baseball. Always about the ivy, the ambiance.

Last year, during the playoffs, all I heard was about how AJ cheated. Now, I could never figure out how they came to that conclusion. Possible dropped third strike, you run to first. Did they not know that? It's the playoffs - you go for it. Baseball 101.

But one thing I will always remember happened during 2003. Jay Mariotti (who else) wrote this article about how the World Series was in the bag. That Wood and Prior have never lost back to back games during the regular season. Order those World Series tickets now. And we all know what happens when you tease karma like that. It comes around to bite you in the butt.

And now, when I re-read all the articles from last year, I realize how often the Cubs were mentioned. Why did the writers feel it necessary to throw in the Cubs when writing about the White Sox winning the World Series? If the time ever comes that the Cubs do win it all, are the Sox going to mentioned at all?

I don't hate the Cubs, I hate the Wrigley Field experience being thrown at me when the greatest event happened on the South Side.

RSN33
05-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Dumbest fans on the planet. From cheering for Pop-ups, to not knowing the score (scoreboard right infront of them), to forgetting which players are on their team, to not knowing what place thier team is in, to Booing on command (when newspaper tells them to), to them improperly quoting past statistics ("we have more WS wins than you guys) to telling you the sox stink without any real reasonwhy, to saying the Commissioner "hated" the cubs and wanted them to go broke, thats why baseball kicked out Fay Vincent out of office,

It's odd, because based on a lot of fans I encountered last year at Comiskey, I could be saying the very same things about all of you and you'd probably take issue with my doing so. Hardly fair, though, is it?:?: Could and should the rest of baseball be using "obsesses with the Cubs to the point of insanity" for reasons to hate ALL Sox fans because a few of you are obsessed with the North team?

I met last year - and still know of - VERY casual White Sox fans who were/are good people and *gasp* even liked to drink during a game. A few of them couldn't tell you what color the Toronto BLUE Jays are, but apparently love their White Sox. (Two in particular were from the North Side in Shaumberg, I believe, as he was part of the FD). Not everyone in the park knows their baseball like I do and some of you do - that's just a fact we have to accept. If we're gonna harp on knowing stats in baseball, I challenge you to find how many in your home park could quote off the same stats that you or I would know. Believe me, NO park in baseball has an *entire* fan base that knows numbers/stats like you're quoting.

Last July, I heard "Red Sox SUCK!!" more times than I can shake a stick at (visiting park, so be it). Valid reason - probably not, but the comments were still made. ESPN exposure? Umm.. okay, I guess? Exposure and an old ballpark doesn't explain the number of fans, nor why they *suck*. That's like me saying I hate you all because you stand and cheer for fireworks after homeruns and after the game.. It's nonsense.

Championships speak for themselves, my friends - we all NOW know this. The New York Yankees, though I'll hate them for ever more, are the most successful franchise in professional sports history for that reason. Their fans may be collectively violating parole in attending their games (:D: ) but the championships are there.

And you "improperly quoted" a statistic yourself in saying that the Cubs have never had a 90 win season since 1990, which they did in 1998, albeit in 163 games. It's a mistake; it happens. We won't hate on you for it, but to then say that every Cubs fan improperly quotes past stats is pretty lame if you - or others from your fan base - have done so even ONCE.

Besides, regardless of what happens this weekend - the Cubs could sweep all 3 games and you'd be talking about your World Series anyway. So do the games really matter *THAT* much? I like the post that said they'd cheer for the Cubs against any/all Central teams - which they SHOULD - because it was, at the very least, sensible. Cheer for your squad because they're winning in general in an otherwise meaningless inter-league concept, but not just because it's the Cubs. I personally can't stand inter-league games anyway, so maybe I'm biased on that issue.

Sports 'simpletons' are in every park/arena/field in the world and come from every fan base, my friend. Let it go.

Chip Z'nuff
05-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Sports 'simpletons' are in every park/arena/field in the world and come from every fan base, my friend. Let it go.

Does anybody have an extra ticket for this guy? He obviously has never been to a Sox game.

Scottiehaswheels
05-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Just outta curiousity... Did you move here from Boston? Grow up here? If you are from Boston, imagine the Yanks dominating the headlines with fluff pieces every day... Everytime your Carmines lost, imagine Boston papers basically calling the Red Sox trash while the Yanks are golden boys.... Can you IMAGINE the backlash that would receive in Boston? Well this crap gets pushed on us everyday of our lives here.... Yes you're right.. there are a lot of Sox "fans" who don't know crap about the team, I run into them daily... but do you know WHY all of a sudden we have bandwagon fans that don't know jack? Success, not because we're dumb lemmings that listen and believe whatever the media tells us is true...

soxfan13
05-17-2006, 01:10 PM

One thing I have noticed that bothers me is that there have been alot more cheers for routine fly balls(hit by the Sox) at the Sox games this year. :(:

jenn2080
05-17-2006, 01:11 PM
Just outta curiousity... Did you move here from Boston? Grow up here? If you are from Boston, imagine the Yanks dominating the headlines with fluff pieces every day... Everytime your Carmines lost, imagine Boston papers basically calling the Red Sox trash while the Yanks are golden boys.... Can you IMAGINE the backlash that would receive in Boston? Well this crap gets pushed on us everyday of our lives here.... Yes you're right.. there are a lot of Sox "fans" who don't know crap about the team, I run into them daily... but do you know WHY all of a sudden we have bandwagon fans that don't know jack? Success, not because we're dumb lemmings that listen and believe whatever the media tells us is true...

Doesnt that kind happen already?

itsnotrequired
05-17-2006, 01:18 PM
One thing I have noticed that bothers me is that there have been alot more cheers for routine fly balls(hit by the Sox) at the Sox games this year. :(:

To be fair, the wind has been blowing in for most of the home games so far. Some balls that are mashed off the bat do a little dying while in the air. Those balls would be gone without the wind.

I know I've been fooled a couple times...

Jerko
05-17-2006, 01:25 PM

VERY true. I've come to learn 2 things so far this year. If I'm watching the game on tv and hear "STRETCH!!", or if I'm at the park and hear OOOOHHHHHHHHHHH, I know that a home run isn't imminent.

soxfan13
05-17-2006, 01:27 PM
To be fair, the wind has been blowing in for most of the home games so far. Some balls that are mashed off the bat do a little dying while in the air. Those balls would be gone without the wind.

I know I've been fooled a couple times...

I know and Ive been fooled too but it just seems this year it is for every flyball.

soxfan13
05-17-2006, 01:30 PM
VERY true. I've come to learn 2 things so far this year. If I'm watching the game on tv and hear "STRETCH!!", or if I'm at the park and hear OOOOHHHHHHHHHHH, I know that a home run isn't imminent.

Was actually just talking at work about the "stretch" by Hawk. I think he has to tone that done a bit, hes trying to force it too much. Monday I was eating at work and the game was on, I looked away for a minute and I hear "stretch stretch stretch" I whip my head around and Hunter was catching Thomes flyball about 5 feet in front of the wall.

SOecks
05-17-2006, 01:34 PM
The Stretch thing is just way overdone now. It's cool when he used it on occasion but now on every fly ball, we're getting multiple "Stretches" while the ball's in flight and more times than not it's not even to the warning track.

chisoxfanatic
05-17-2006, 01:36 PM

He's never even been to Boston. He's a Red Sox fan and became one in the mid-80s due to Roger Clemens. He's just sick of the Cubsession that people like Hangar have. We as Sox fans hold the ultimate trump card over Cub fans since 10/26/05. I, for one, am happy about that. I used to be pissed about the media this and that's, and rightfully so; however, one thing to consider is that the Cubs losses are highly known about, while, due to the lack of media attention, when the Sox weren't doing very well, you wouldn't be hearing about them. Now that we are champions, I've noticed that a bunch of those stories Henry counted in his media watch were actually negative articles regarding the Cubs. If he's gonna continue keeping track of the media watch, I'd suggest him subtracting from the Cubs' total whenever such article is present. Regardless of the media coverage, 10-26-05 basically gave a big middle finger to the naysayers and those who did not even take notice of our Sox.

One thing to remember is that THE team in this city has changed from Sox to Cubs to Sox to Cubs, changing with each passing era. The Cubs have not always been Chicago's team (IIRC, Wrigley's done something the Sox have never done--shut down the upper deck to make the crowds not look so pathetic on televised broadcasts).

chisoxfanatic
05-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Does anybody have an extra ticket for this guy? He obviously has never been to a Sox game.

Actually, he's been to four. All with me last year (2 against Cleveland, 2 against Boston). He will be with me for all 3 against Boston this year.

It's unfortunate what he had to go through last year when he did nothing to cause trouble.

Chip Z'nuff
05-17-2006, 01:42 PM
It's unfortunate what he had to go through last year when he did nothing to cause trouble.

Sooo... what happened?

chisoxfanatic
05-17-2006, 01:49 PM
Sooo... what happened?

He was standing outside the women's bathroom in the right field concourse minding his own business while waiting for me to get out. He had a bunch of people being highly vulgar with him, as well as threatening to rip off his jersey/cause him physical harm. Again, he was just minding his business (he's never been one to pick fights). I find it disturbing that ANYONE would even try to pick a fight with anyone! It's so grade-schoolish!

BeeBeeRichard
05-17-2006, 01:52 PM
If the time ever comes that the Cubs do win it all, are the Sox going to mentioned at all?

No, there will be more important things to mention ... World War III, armageddon and the end of the world come to mind.

chisoxfanatic
05-17-2006, 01:54 PM
No, there will be more important things to mention ... World War III, armageddon and the end of the world come to mind.

I don't think we'll have to live through a Cubs championship. That management is not focused on winning. The Cubs portion of their ownership isn't their biggest revenue-getter as it is. They do sell all of their tickets (albiet roughly half to scalpers), so I highly doubt they are motivated to lift much a finger at all and do the same things JR and KW have brought to our team.

Jerko
05-17-2006, 01:58 PM
I agree with RedSoxNation33 to a point. There ARE morons at every park on any given day. I'm sure he got some **** for wearing his Red Sox stuff to the Cell. Some fans have fun with it, some want to start fights. We had a goof in a Nomar shirt that we had some fun with, but we never threatened the guy. In our defense though, at least they said "RED SOX SUCK" while the Sox were playing the RED SOX! BUT, you also get the maroons that yell CUBS SUCK when the freakin Royals are in town! Who ****in cares? That said, I hate the crosstown classic, I can't stand most Cub fans, I don't go to those games, and I for one would be happy if we never played those clowns again.

Chip Z'nuff
05-17-2006, 01:58 PM
He was standing outside the women's bathroom in the right field concourse minding his own business while waiting for me to get out. He had a bunch of people being highly vulgar with him, as well as threatening to rip off his jersey/cause him physical harm. Again, he was just minding his business (he's never been one to pick fights). I find it disturbing that ANYONE would even try to pick a fight with anyone! It's so grade-schoolish!
sorry about your friend having a lousy time I sat next to a Red Sox fan during game 2 and no one gave him a hard time (as far as i know), to be fair, just imagine what would have happened if it were the Urinal and it was the Cubs and RedSox during 2003.

champagne030
05-17-2006, 02:07 PM

If you were in the bathroom how do you know he was minding his own business? Sure, there's *******s at Sox games, but if someone is minding his own business and not giving any trash talk back then I don't see it escalating past trash talk. Me thinks someone was over-sensative to being made fun of because he was wearing a Red Sox jersey or returned the verbal jabs.

itsnotrequired
05-17-2006, 02:10 PM
If you were in the bathroom how do you know he was minding his own business? Sure, there's *******s at Sox games, but if someone is minding his own business and not giving any trash talk back then I don't see it escalating past trash talk. Me thinks someone was over-sensative to being made fun of because he was wearing a Red Sox jersey or returned the verbal jabs.

Maybe he dropped acid when no one was watching and turned into a raging madman for the two minutes that chisoxfanatic was in the bathroom.:rolleyes:

People have been hassled far worse for far less...

champagne030
05-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Maybe he dropped acid when no one was watching and turned into a raging madman for the two minutes that chisoxfanatic was in the bathroom.:rolleyes:

People have been hassled far worse for far less...

There's a difference between getting "hassled" and actually fearing getting your ass kicked.

I didn't say he turned into a raging madman, but maybe someone made fun of him and his jersey and he returned a smartass comment.

itsnotrequired
05-17-2006, 02:18 PM
I didn't say he turned into a raging madman, but maybe someone made fun of him and his jersey and he returned a smartass comment.

...or maybe he didn't. Point is, we don't know but his story is certainly believable.

ilsox7
05-17-2006, 02:20 PM
...or maybe he didn't. Point is, we don't know but his story is certainly believable.

I've seen plenty of boorish behavior at Sox Park, so I believe it. To say it isn't there is ignorant. In fact, there are many times when Sox security flat-out ignored underage drinking and near fights.

champagne030
05-17-2006, 02:29 PM

Yes, I find it believable that people gave him verbal jabs for wearing a Red Sox jersey.

itsnotrequired
05-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Yes, I find it believable that people gave him verbal jabs for wearing a Red Sox jersey.

That's not what I was saying. I was saying that it is certainly believeable that he was honestly standing there saying nothing and some doof came up to him with threats. Hell, I got swore at in the parking lot for drinking a Budweiser. Dudes weren't physically threatening me but I sure as hell didn't do anything to warrant a cussing.

soxfan13
05-17-2006, 02:39 PM
That's not what I was saying. I was saying that it is certainly believeable that he was honestly standing there saying nothing and some doof came up to him with threats. Hell, I got swore at in the parking lot for drinking a Budweiser. Dudes weren't physically threatening me but I sure as hell didn't do anything to warrant a cussing.

Now thats crossing the line. Getting yelled at for drinking the King of Beers, next time track me down Ill help, thats my favorite beer :D:

chisoxfanatic
05-17-2006, 03:35 PM
If you were in the bathroom how do you know he was minding his own business?

Because that's the type of person he is.

itsnotrequired
05-17-2006, 03:44 PM
Because that's the type of person he is.

Except when he's dropping acid.

:tongue:

Baby Fisk
05-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Yes, it's perfect. If you don't like baseball, you're far better off being a Cubs fan than a Sox fan.
The professor makes an excellent point here. I still cringe at the memory of the day I met the Stupidest Sox Fan In Canada...

I was at the ol' Skydome watching a game, and noticed a guy with a Sox hat making his way to the seats in my section. He was accompanied by not one but two fine young ladies. Inwardly, I nodded in appreciation. The trio ended up sitting behind me, but within earshot.

As the game progressed, the Sox guy started making comments about what was happening on the field. Dumb comments. Stupid comments. When a pitch was hit hard to right, he immediately proclaimed "That's a foul ball!" and the ball sailed into the corner for an extra base hit. He continued to misjudge almost everything that was hit. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, and he wouldn't stop! He also made moronic comments about the Jays and the other team (can't remember who they were playing), all to impress his lady friends.

After a few innings of listening to this tool demonstrating his complete ignorance to the world, I wanted to go over to him, tear the hat from his head and declare him unfit to wear the Sox logo. :angry:

It was a horrible experience, meeting the Stupidest Sox Fan In Canada, and I hope to never encounter him again. Let the Cubs have all the ignoramuses, PLEASE!

thechico
05-17-2006, 05:31 PM
A. HATE the Cubs

If you want to take a poll, just read my sig for my vote.

illini81887
05-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Is the SCORE giving out tixs every hour starting at midnight tonight??

Dick Allen
05-17-2006, 06:24 PM
To understand the degree to which I hate the Cubs, if they were playing Det, Cle, or Min, I'd still root against the Cubs.

sullythered
05-17-2006, 10:33 PM
To understand the degree to which I hate the Cubs, if they were playing Det, Cle, or Min, I'd still root against the Cubs.

I'm almost there. I hate the cubs, and would cheer for any opposition they faced, unless it were a situation like the Tigers right now.

cheeses_h_rice
05-17-2006, 11:06 PM
It's odd, because based on a lot of fans I encountered last year at Comiskey, I could be saying the very same things about all of you and you'd probably take issue with my doing so. Hardly fair, though, is it?:?: Could and should the rest of baseball be using "obsesses with the Cubs to the point of insanity" for reasons to hate ALL Sox fans because a few of you are obsessed with the North team?

I met last year - and still know of - VERY casual White Sox fans who were/are good people and *gasp* even liked to drink during a game. A few of them couldn't tell you what color the Toronto BLUE Jays are, but apparently love their White Sox. (Two in particular were from the North Side in Shaumberg, I believe, as he was part of the FD). Not everyone in the park knows their baseball like I do and some of you do - that's just a fact we have to accept. If we're gonna harp on knowing stats in baseball, I challenge you to find how many in your home park could quote off the same stats that you or I would know. Believe me, NO park in baseball has an *entire* fan base that knows numbers/stats like you're quoting.

Last July, I heard "Red Sox SUCK!!" more times than I can shake a stick at (visiting park, so be it). Valid reason - probably not, but the comments were still made. ESPN exposure? Umm.. okay, I guess? Exposure and an old ballpark doesn't explain the number of fans, nor why they *suck*. That's like me saying I hate you all because you stand and cheer for fireworks after homeruns and after the game.. It's nonsense.

Championships speak for themselves, my friends - we all NOW know this. The New York Yankees, though I'll hate them for ever more, are the most successful franchise in professional sports history for that reason. Their fans may be collectively violating parole in attending their games (:D: ) but the championships are there.

And you "improperly quoted" a statistic yourself in saying that the Cubs have never had a 90 win season since 1990, which they did in 1998, albeit in 163 games. It's a mistake; it happens. We won't hate on you for it, but to then say that every Cubs fan improperly quotes past stats is pretty lame if you - or others from your fan base - have done so even ONCE.

Besides, regardless of what happens this weekend - the Cubs could sweep all 3 games and you'd be talking about your World Series anyway. So do the games really matter *THAT* much? I like the post that said they'd cheer for the Cubs against any/all Central teams - which they SHOULD - because it was, at the very least, sensible. Cheer for your squad because they're winning in general in an otherwise meaningless inter-league concept, but not just because it's the Cubs. I personally can't stand inter-league games anyway, so maybe I'm biased on that issue.

...spoken/written by someone who's obviously not well-versed in the dynamics of Chicago baseball fandom.

Get back to us when you've seen more than a few token "important" games in this city before spouting this garbage. Seriously, you're not speaking from a position of experience.

areilly
05-18-2006, 11:09 AM
sorry about your friend having a lousy time I sat next to a Red Sox fan during game 2 and no one gave him a hard time (as far as i know), to be fair, just imagine what would have happened if it were the Urinal and it was the Cubs and RedSox during 2003.

I was in left field behind the Sox bullpen for Game 1 of the ALDS and there was a couple from Boston sitting a few rows ahead of me. They got the usual ribbing on the way to their seats but nothing bad and they got left alone...until the guy starting talking some serious ****. "Manny's gonna blast one wicked hahd outta heeh" and "You ain't seen a game 'til you've seen 'em win one ovah the Yankees at Fenway" and "I thought I was gonna get shot out here" and "We beat Contreras befoah, Papi's gonna doit again!" and so on. So the Sox fans in our section are giving it back to him, and finally we stands up, faces everyone and screams (I kid you not):

"Hey, if you're such baseball fans, then as baseball fans you gotta admit that last year was the best that ever coulda happened!"

A pause, and then suddenly came the greatest barrage of garbage thrown at one fan that I have ever seen. Nachos, candy, beer, you name it. The kid was probably covered in $100 worth of concessions. He keeps talking smack, and of course the Sox proceeded to unload on the Carmines. The guy was getting drunker, the girl was obviously embarassed, and things just got worse from there, to the point where, after the Carmine guy screamed an extra-lewd, extra-offensive one-liner at a little kid, a middle-aged man got in his face and told him "You're safe in here kid, but you're not safe in the parking lot."

The Carmine guy and gal left not long after that.

So jerkiness works both ways, and I agree that there are losers at every game - whether it's a big one or not. Sorry you had a bad time though, RSN33. I'll be the first to admit that Sox fans like to dish it out but the last to admit that we're all complete jackasses about it.

lostletters
05-18-2006, 12:05 PM
There are cubs fans that HATE the white sox. The world series victory though has made this a more real thing then ever. Because it is looking very likely that the Cubs may pass the millenium mark without a comissioners trophy, and the White Sox are setting themselves up to be another decade long Riensdorf dynasty. White Sox fans hate for the Cubs has diminished since the trophy, why even care about a team that is so pathetic.