PDA

View Full Version : Sox game in Minny -No TV

hawkjt
05-16-2006, 03:52 PM
I noticed that the Michigan vs Minnesota college football game on Sept 30 is a nite game and I wondered why when the Iowa -tOSU game is also a nite game that day- then it dawned on me; The white sox play in the dome that day against the twins and once again they have been shoved into a 11 AM time slot with no TV.

Didnt this happen last year? Or was it in 2004? I know it has happened to the sox before when they go to minny for a september game.

That could be a huge game and it will not be on the tube? Second to last game of the year in a pennant race and no human not in that dome will witness it? What if it is clinching day?

I am jumping the gun but as a sox fanatic I try no to miss a single game. And hopefully it will not mean anything but it could be a huge game.

All the more reason for the twins to either get a new stadium or the gophers to have one of their own.

The twins always find a way to irritate me, I guess. Hopefully this will be the only way they bother the sox this year.

Why does this keep happening to the Sox?

sullythered
05-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure there was game at the crapdome last year that was not televised 'cause of football. Stupid Twins.

downstairs
05-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Yes, it happened last year.

Can someone explain again why the Sox aren't on TV? Is it that ESPN/FOX has rights that day? And if they do, why wouldn't they show the Sox anyway?

Iwritecode
05-16-2006, 03:56 PM
I noticed that the Michigan vs Minnesota college football game on Sept 30 is a nite game and I wondered why when the Iowa -tOSU game is also a nite game that day- then it dawned on me; The white sox play in the dome that day against the twins and once again they have been shoved into a 11 AM time slot with no TV.

Didnt this happen last year? Or was it in 2004? I know it has happened to the sox before when they go to minny for a september game.

That could be a huge game and it will not be on the tube? Second to last game of the year in a pennant race and no human not in that dome will witness it? What if it is clinching day?

I am jumping the gun but as a sox fanatic I try no to miss a single game. And hopefully it will not mean anything but it could be a huge game.

All the more reason for the twins to either get a new stadium or the gophers to have one of their own.

The twins always find a way to irritate me, I guess. Hopefully this will be the only way they bother the sox this year.

Why does this keep happening to the Sox?

IIRC, it happened in 2004 and 2005. It was brought up last year that it could've been a division clinching game and nobody knew what they would do if that came up.

I too wonder why it's the Sox that alway get stuck with this and why the schedule-makers can't seem to work around it...

bigsoxfan420
05-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Yes, it happened last year.

Can someone explain again why the Sox aren't on TV? Is it that ESPN/FOX has rights that day? And if they do, why wouldn't they show the Sox anyway?

I was at "that" game last year and it is because of football. The game starts at 11am (to have the Metro-dump ready for an evening football game) and since FOX has dominion over that time slot for national coverage, unless the said game is a "FOX" it will not be televised.

TheOldRoman
05-16-2006, 04:06 PM
The Sox will have the division wrapped up long before September 30, so this is a moot point. However, it still pisses me off. MLB ****s with the Sox' scheduling every year. Why do WE keep ending up with the untelevised games against the Twins? Why do WE always seem to end up with 20 road games in September? I am not calling it a conspiracy, but clearly it is a problem.

ewokpelts
05-16-2006, 04:11 PM
blame the gophers

SoxEd
05-16-2006, 04:12 PM
Why do WE keep ending up with the untelevised games against the Twins? Why do WE always seem to end up with 20 road games in September? I am not calling it a conspiracy, but clearly it is a problem.

Chicago who?
Chicago has two baseball teams?
:?:
They don't have any fans and no-one's ever heard of 'em.

Minn-ee-where?
Is that near LA, or is it closer to SF?

I never heard of the place...

No teal necessary.

And the same holds true for FOX.

The affiliates in 'the Twin Cities' know that no-one in Minnesota could give a Tinker's cuss about baseball, and that Football is Where It's At, ratings-wise.

TheOldRoman
05-16-2006, 04:20 PM
Chicago who?
Chicago has two baseball teams?
:?:
They don't have any fans and no-one's ever heard of 'em.

Minn-ee-where?
Is that near LA, or is it closer to SF?

I never heard of the place...

No teal necessary.

And the same holds true for FOX.

The affiliates in 'the Twin Cities' know that no-one in Minnesota could give a Tinker's cuss about baseball, and that Football is Where It's At, ratings-wise. You are right about the Sox, but ESPN absolutely LOVES the Twins. They are the "adorable little insurgents that fought of contraction and beat the evil big market White Sox to win the Central". ESPN singlehandedly created Torrrriiiiiii Hunter, and the hype that surrounds him.

As for blaming the Gophers, that is wrong. Blame Pohlad. This bastard is one of the richest men alive, but he still refuses to pay for a baseall park. The Metrodome is shamefully bad, and the Twins should have been out of there 10 years ago. As for the arrangement, the Gophers have priority over the Vikings and Twins, and that is the way it should be. However, MLB needs to get its head out of its ass and fix the conflicts like this. NCAA football teams release their schedule more than a year in advance. There is no excuse for this happening once, let alone repeatedly.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-16-2006, 04:20 PM
This garbanzo happens every year. The only solution is to head up to that garbage pile on be loud and proud.
http://www.nonstick.com/sounds/Yosemite.gif

YooHoo! Where in tarnation are dem Pale Hose at!

TDog
05-16-2006, 05:05 PM
The San Diego Padres (if it wasn't in the '90s, it was in the late '80s) had a football conflict at home that was solved with a scheduled Saturday off-day and Sunday doubleheader. The logical answer to this conflict situation, obviously, is to outlaw football.

Although I haven't heard Farmer-Singleton, I don't see how it would hurt you to listen to one game on the radio. I'm not saying this because I don't have television, but because when I was growing up, many games weren't on television and it didn't stop me from enjoying the games. Back in the days before the Sox moved to Channel 32, there were few games on television. Even what I caught of last year's postseason was on the radio, so some of my greatest baseball memories have Jon Miller's voice attached to them.

That wasn't my first choice, but you're only talking about one game in September.

Lip Man 1
05-16-2006, 05:22 PM
Roman:

Part of the issue rests with the Sox. Before any schedule is official teams have the right to protest and suggest changes. I don't know if the Sox are doing this or if they are, perhaps they are not protesting strongly enough.

But this is not a recent thing. Back in the 50's for five straight seasons the Sox opened the year playing Cleveland.

Lip