PDA

View Full Version : Pods and the long ball

Berkules
05-16-2006, 02:15 PM
I was looking through my 2006 ESPN Baseball Encyclopedia today (my bible..especially since it has our Sox on the front) at Pods' stats and he hit 22 HRs before coming to the Sox. 1 in his first year (in 6 games if I remember correctly), then 12, then 9. Not that I care if our leadoff man can hit the long ball, but do we think that this lack of HRs is a result of a conscious decision to be a productive leadoff man as far as getting on base, etc.?

jdm2662
05-16-2006, 02:18 PM
I was looking through my 2006 ESPN Baseball Encyclopedia today (my bible..especially since it has our Sox on the front) at Pods' stats and he hit 22 HRs before coming to the Sox. 1 in his first year (in 6 games if I remember correctly), then 12, then 9. Not that I care if our leadoff man can hit the long ball, but do we think that this lack of HRs is a result of a conscious decision to be a productive leadoff man as far as getting on base, etc.?

In short, yes. He admitted in his last year with the Brewers he was trying to hit the long ball too much. Hence, his average was down and his Ks was up. He is paid to get on base, which is what he focuses on these days.