PDA

View Full Version : Schaller's Pub - parking?

32nd&Wallace
05-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Anyone know if Schaller's Pub allows parking during the game if you patronize the bar before the game.

FoulkeFan
05-16-2006, 11:35 AM
SHHHH - you're letting my secret out! :D:

Yes, they definitely let you park there during the game. Although more people are aware of this lately so you have to get there early to get a spot. If the lot is full, you can also park on the street on that side of Halsted.

32nd&Wallace
05-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Thanks. The area west of Halstead is pretty good if you are up for the walk. I always thought it was strange that just a block east of Halstead, they have parking for $30. Anyways, there are still plenty of open spots if its full.

ssirish317
05-16-2006, 12:46 PM
I thought it was Schallers Pump

ewokpelts
05-16-2006, 01:38 PM
I thought it was Schallers Pumpand it's a dump ran by a flubs fan

TheBull
05-16-2006, 02:00 PM
and it's a dump ran by a flubs fan

Son Jay is a Cub fan, but father Jack and his daughters are all die-hard Sox fans. It's not the Ritz, but it is certainly not a crap hole.

whitesoxwilkes
05-16-2006, 02:02 PM

Sounds a lot like Jimbo's to me.

chisoxfanatic
05-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Sounds a lot like Jimbo's to me.

LOL! But, I don't blame you either.

Jimbo's has lost its luster for me as well. I prefer Puffers to any other establishment. They even have a nice beer garden out in the back for when it's nice outside. Mysterious pizzas also are known to show up! :cool:

TheOldRoman
05-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Actually, Santo=Dorf's family owns it. And you know he bleeds Cubbie blue.

ewokpelts
05-16-2006, 03:31 PM

Jimbo's has lost its luster for me as well. I prefer Puffers to any other establishment. They even have a nice beer garden out in the back for when it's nice outside. Mysterious pizzas also are known to show up! :cool:it's a good thing i wont step foot inpuffers either...they have a beer garden...no better than a wrigleyville joint

Gene

sullythered
05-16-2006, 03:55 PM

Jackie Schaller is a Sox fan, and a hell of a nice guy. Also, the food there is awesome, even if it ain't pretty.

As far as parking goes, you can park in the lot, or on the street near the bar. The walk is a pretty nice one.

Sox35th
05-16-2006, 04:31 PM

Jimbo's has lost its luster for me as well. I prefer Puffers to any other establishment. They even have a nice beer garden out in the back for when it's nice outside. Mysterious pizzas also are known to show up! :cool:

Where is Puffers located/address??

santo=dorf
05-16-2006, 06:08 PM
How many ****ing times do I have to explain it to you *******?
:?:
EDIT: Thebull already did.

TornLabrum
05-16-2006, 06:37 PM
How many ****ing times do I have to explain it to you *******?
:?:
EDIT: Thebull already did.

And it gets explained to him about once every 2-3 months!

TheBull
05-16-2006, 07:22 PM
Son Jay is a Cub fan, but father Jack and his daughters are all die-hard Sox fans. It's not the Ritz, but it is certainly not a crap hole.

I realized that my description of The Pump is probably a disservice to those that have not been there. It's a neighborhood restaurant/bar that oozes with history, character and friendliness. It is not fancy, but it is clean and serves great food. Mr. Schaller and his offspring are some of the best people one will ever meet and that goes for his Cub fan son Jay too.

The Schallers could have sold out big time during the playoffs and World Series by shutting down for private parties, but they kept the place open to their regulars and influx of newbies and media types. I cannot imagine any Sox fan not liking the place. A broad statement yes, but places like Schallers epitomize South Side fans for me.

ekamm1
05-16-2006, 11:03 PM
I agree. The food is very good at Schallers...Head and shoulders above Jimbo's. The cool thing about Puffers is that it is realitively low key and a cool place to hang out anytime. Ever been to Jimbos during the off season? I distinctly remember old men sleeping with their heads down on the bar in the afternoon.

ChiSoxGirl
05-16-2006, 11:06 PM
Where is Puffers located/address??

Puffer's is at 33rd & Halsted; the exact address is 3356 S. Halsted.

chisoxmike
05-16-2006, 11:08 PM
Jimbo's has lost its luster for me as well.

You mean you don't like paying $4 for a 12oz can of beer??????????

sullythered
05-16-2006, 11:20 PM
A broad statement yes, but places like Schallers epitomize South Side fans for me.

Thank you. Schaller's has been an opening day (and many other games) tradition for my family since my Grandfather used to bring his sons there oh so many years ago. That place has an awesome vibe, and it's run by great folks. Jimbo's pales in comparison.

ewokpelts
05-17-2006, 01:59 AM
And it gets explained to him about once every 2-3 months!It was reported in the cubune. And they're not biased.

Seriously, even if the rest of the family are die hard sox fans, the fact that dork boy(i dont even know his name) is willing to sully his family's name and business and proclaim he's a cub fan, EVEN during the playoffs, makes me not wanna go there. The image you present to the public(intentional or unintentional) is extremly hard to erase. How many cubs fans STILL talk about f-head dybas being a sox fan? or make comments like "at least OUR fans dont attack umps?" sad to say, but a world championship alone cant erase that. How long did it take cleaveland to live down ten cent beer night?

I may "know: that dork boy was only speaking for his own deluded self, but there are quite a lot of people that never even look at this site, and think "that shaller's pump place is run by cub fans! guess i wont spend my money there!"

Gene

chisoxfanatic
05-17-2006, 10:55 AM
You mean you don't like paying $4 for a 12oz can of beer??????????

Beer is useless to me, as I find it to be more disgusting than iced tea.

chisoxfanatic
05-17-2006, 10:57 AM
it's a good thing i wont step foot inpuffers either...they have a beer garden...no better than a wrigleyville joint

Gene

I highly disagree with your comment that it's no better than a Wrigleyville joint, and I'm sure that all the other Puffers Group WSIers would agree with this.

rdwj
05-17-2006, 11:12 AM
I see a bunch of raves about Schaller's food. I usually go to Cobblestones, but wouldn't mind trying a couple of the other joints around the park. What do they serve? Is it a full menu on game days?

Same questions for Puffers.

TheBull
05-17-2006, 12:10 PM
I see a bunch of raves about Schaller's food. I usually go to Cobblestones, but wouldn't mind trying a couple of the other joints around the park. What do they serve? Is it a full menu on game days?

Schaller's usually has two specials in addition to their full menu. Their Butt Steak is great. I have not deviated much from the corned beef sandwich and plate, cheeseburger, Butt steak, grilled cheese and the specials, but I have not been disappointed.

I was there with my uncle last Thursday for drinks after having lunch at Manny's. Jack insisted I eat again and made a chicken Kiev for me. The fricken World Series trophy was sitting in there while its guardians were lunching. Not a bad day for a rain out. Lunch and stories with Jack and getting to see the trophy.

FoulkeFan
05-17-2006, 12:55 PM

The ribs at Schaller's are great too and many of my friends swear that the hash browns are the best they've ever had. I also like the corned beef sandwich. Plus, the prices are really good too.

TheBull
05-17-2006, 01:13 PM
The ribs at Schaller's are great too and many of my friends swear that the hash browns are the best they've ever had. I also like the corned beef sandwich. Plus, the prices are really good too.

I forgot about the ribs and hash browns. Both are great. I spent twenty days in Chicago during October and ballooned from 255 to 270 with at least half of the flub attributed to my time at Schaller's and the other half from Vito and Nick's. I am now back down to my OPW (Optimum Polka Weight) of 255.

rdwj
05-17-2006, 02:23 PM
Their Butt Steak is great. I have not deviated much from the corned beef sandwich and plate, cheeseburger, Butt steak, grilled cheese and the specials, but I have not been disappointed.

The ribs at Schaller's are great too and many of my friends swear that the hash browns are the best they've ever had. I also like the corned beef sandwich. Plus, the prices are really good too

I'm a big fan of a good corned beef. I'll have to make sure to get there one of these days. Hash Browns sould pretty good too!!

Thanks for the advise!

32nd&Wallace
05-17-2006, 02:25 PM
What are the beer prices?

TornLabrum
05-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Their fried chicken is also excellent, and you really must try the hash browns. When we go there for our WCSF board meetings, we usually end up with a plate of the hash browns per person. They're that good.

Be sure to get the corned beef and cabbage when they have it, too.

chisoxmike
05-17-2006, 11:10 PM
Beer is useless to me, as I find it to be more disgusting than iced tea.

Wow Heather...my two favorite beverages.

AngryCollins
05-17-2006, 11:12 PM
I'm a Cobblestones guy meself. I have only been to one game this year and we had free parking, but I like Cobblestones has good chow and essentially free parking.

chisoxfanatic
05-18-2006, 12:05 AM
Wow Heather...my two favorite beverages.

I can't help it. I have a sweet tooth (my boyfriend can attest to this too). Captain and Coke is fine for me.

I guess that means more beer and iced tea for you! :cool:

Chips
05-18-2006, 12:14 AM
it's a good thing i wont step foot inpuffers either...they have a beer garden...no better than a wrigleyville joint

Gene

A tavern with a beer garden is a wrigleyville joint? :?:
Puffers is a great place. 5 bucks for a pitcher of PBR.

chisoxfanatic
05-18-2006, 12:15 AM
A tavern with a beer garden is a wrigleyville joint? :?:
Puffers is a great place. 5 bucks for a pitcher of PBR.

AND you get banana bread muffins for free! :D:

Chips
05-18-2006, 12:18 AM
AND you get banana bread muffins for free! :D:

AND my picture is on the wall:D: