PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 5/16/06

Hangar18
05-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Yesterday, the White Sox won a "big" game against their division rivals, coming back to split the series after losing the first two games. The Big Blue Corporation managed to not lose because they didnt play. Following pre-set guidelines set by the Chicago Media, the team that plays gets front page coverage while the off team settles for.........well whatever.
The Tribune today decides to be a pioneer in the sports journalism field by putting a giant full-page picture of Baker & Hendry on the cover (from springtraining mind you-trib had to dig that picture up to feature it) with them getting the Lead Story, despite not having played yesterday. Pathetic.

At the top of the page? Yet another big story (3rd day in a row) of the womens' Chicago Sky.
The Chicago Sky are the 2nd biggest story in Chicago right now? kidding right? I know its the first womens team in Chicago, and im all for womens sports, but CMON. The trib is looking for any excuse to keep the SOX off the front pages/less stories. BS.

Paul Sullivan, who hasnt met a story he couldnt write about the Cubs. His story comes off as a RAHRAH RAH cubfluff/propoganda piece meant to rile the SHEEP back up and to keep them coming to the park. Wood is coming back and the march to october will start soon after. The Trib even goes to great lengths to interview other teams broadcasters about the Cub losing streak, lauding readers to be "patient". Ridiculous.
On a day when the SOX beat their division rivals in a tough series, and their main competitor 8 miles north was OFF, the SOX somehow still lose ground in MediaCoverage. Embarrassing.

Despite winning the World Series in 2005 and off to the best record in the majors this season, the White Sox INEXPLICABLY find themselves lagging far far far behind in Media Coverage to a team that finished in 4th place in 2005, is currently in 5th place now, and hasnt any 90-win seasons since 1990.
Whats wrong with the media?

Chicago Tribune:
5 cub stories
3 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
3 cub stories
4 sox stories
Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 4th place in 2005 Cubs 435
Underdog, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, WS Champs in 05 SOX 372

MadetoOrta
05-16-2006, 10:16 AM
With Hangar's blessing, we should cut and paste this and email it to the media in town.

Chip Z'nuff
05-16-2006, 10:18 AM
With Hangar's blessing, we should cut and paste this and email it to the media in town.

Everyday even! Kinda like that one guy in Shawshank Redemption did to get the prison library books.

SOXPHILE
05-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Bingo ! Yet more more more more "inside info" and stories on the Chicago Sky. I know everyone is just enthralled by it. What cracks me up is how some women's basketball team gets a paragraph, a color photo, and a color logo promo across the top of the sports section, along with the large, color Cubs photo and 2 stories, ALL ON PAGE ONE, ALL FOLLOWING A DAY THE CUBS DIDN'T EVEN PLAY ! The defending WS Champs and current team with the BEST RECORD IN BASEBALL, gets a bottom right hand corner story, with the headline Backup plan works fine. :?: Gee, Trib headline writers, don't try and make it sound TOO exciting that the Sox won again. (That would be the first team to 25 wins)

Hangar18
05-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Bingo ! Yet more more more more "inside info" and stories on the Chicago Sky. I know everyone is just enthralled by it. What cracks me up is how some women's basketball team gets a paragraph, a color photo, and a color logo promo across the top of the sports section, along with the large, color Cubs photo and 2 stories, ALL ON PAGE ONE, ALL FOLLOWING A DAY THE CUBS DIDN'T EVEN PLAY ! The defending WS Champs and current team with the BEST RECORD IN BASEBALL, gets a bottom right hand corner story, with the headline Backup plan works fine. :?: Gee, Trib headline writers, don't try and make it sound TOO exciting that the Sox won again. (That would be the first team to 25 wins)

Do you know how lucky we are, that the the blue corporate team isnt the one in 1st Place, Best Record in Majors, 1st team to 25 Wins, with a Legitimate Slugger hitting .290 and leading the league in HR's with 15?
Can you imagine?

The other team would be dominating us in Media Coverage (Media: hey, theyre in 1st, its a bigstory here), with tons of talk and stories about Derrek Lee and what an incredible hitter he is, and how he might be the best hitter ever in the history of organized baseball, arent the Cubs lucky to have him?
Wait .......... this is already happening

Hangar18
05-16-2006, 11:16 AM
Cubs Flagship Station WGN - Talks 100% Cub
SOX Flagship Station WSCR - Talks 99% Cub

who is laughing? someone is I know it.

SOXPHILE
05-16-2006, 11:22 AM

So, here we are, the day after a Sox win and a Cubs off day. WSCR, the Sox flagship station currently has on Mulligan & Hanley (10-12 pm). I generally like these guys and their show. So far, their show has consisted of...100% Cubs talk. Again. They had that Toni Ginetti (sp ?) on for about 15 minutes, and now, are still going on and on about the Cubs, Dusty, their problems, and what needs to be done. Absolutely no Sox talk. NONE.

Dan Mega
05-16-2006, 11:23 AM
At this point last year, the Trib was questioning whether the Sox hot start was legitimate. Sullivan and Morrisey said they expected the Sox to "come back down to earth".

And this year, when the Cubs had a good start before Lee's injury, there was none of that in the Trib. All hype and talking about postseason.

Yes, there is no bias.

Hangar18
05-16-2006, 11:32 AM
At this point last year, the Trib was questioning whether the Sox hot start was legitimate. Sullivan and Morrisey said they expected the Sox to "come back down to earth".

And this year, when the Cubs had a good start before Lee's injury, there was none of that in the Trib. All hype and talking about postseason.

Yes, there is no bias.

YUP, I REMEMBER THAT! That was only 1 year ago. SOX Hot Start wasnt getting them More Media Coverage (surprise), the Cubs continued to get more coverage? Why? The MEdia said they werent "sold" on the SOX, and wait til they play teams from the AL EAST then we'd talk. WE beat the AL East teams, then they said wait til the All-Star Break, we'll see if theyre still in 1st, then they'll get more Media Coverage. After we rolled into AS Break in 1st, they said lets wait-and-see in September, were not sold, we'll give them More Media Coverage, they havnt "Earned anything" yet. Sox slumped a bit in early september and the Chicago Media went HOG WILD talking about our demise, the See-we-told-you tones were shocking, and the Thats-why-we-didnt-cover-them-early was also shocking.

That team wins 3 games in a row and was in 1st in APRIL, and the Chicago
Media went WILD, sox getting Out-Covered in the Media yet again.
Maddux goes 5-0 hes CY YOUNG re-incarnated. Cubs March to October.
Kiley even got into it. The stands thundered unlike anything ever heard before in Chicago is pretty much what he said.

Thats why Carl Everetts comments post WS were Excellent.
Is there anything you want to say to the teams detractors? "Shut up, Shut Yo' Mouths"
Ozzie Guillen and AJ Pierzynski even handed out some comments "People didnt believe in us". The "people" they mentioned werent SOX Fans. NO, it was the Chicago Media they take a jab at.

Lip Man 1
05-16-2006, 11:46 AM
Hangar:

Point of clarification. The Chicago Sky is at least the third women's 'professional' basketball team to try to make it in the Chicago market. All the previous ones went belly-up...I'm sure this one will be no exception to the rule.

There's a reason Reinsdorf said he wanted no part of the WNBA when that organization pushed him for the past few years in order to get a Chicago franchise.

Lip

SOecks
05-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Could we please email the original post to a bunch of Trib writers and see if we get any response or explanation for this? It is beyond rediculous now. I'm glad I am out of town right now and not reading this crap first hand.:angry:

rwcescato
05-16-2006, 11:50 AM

I saw the Trib this morning and told my brother that Hangar is going to have a field day on this one. Couldn't be more true. We have to go into the cubs series and pull off a 3 game sweep. Bury them into submission and then we will still hear about the cubs being the bigger story. All I can say is that we ahve the Trophy and they never will get one.
Rich:tongue:

SoxFanPrope
05-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Point of clarification. The Chicago Sky is at least the third women's 'professional' basketball team to try to make it in the Chicago market. All the previous ones went belly-up...I'm sure this one will be no exception to the rule.

There's a reason Reinsdorf said he wanted no part of the WNBA when that organization pushed him for the past few years in order to get a Chicago franchise.

Yeah, something tells me that the guy who is putting up the money on the Sky needs to show a loss on his taxes.

Scottiehaswheels
05-16-2006, 11:59 AM
At what point will Sox fans just boycott the media for god sake..... I mean if you're so fed up with it... ignore it? Don't call into the post game shows, don't call with Sox questions, don't buy newspapers, just ignore them... please god someone tell me I'm not the only one that gets all their Sox news from national outlets/WSI and ignores the rest

SoxFanPrope
05-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Yesterday, the White Sox won a "big" game against their division rivals, coming back to split the series after losing the first two games. The Big Blue Corporation managed to not lose because they didnt play. Following pre-set guidelines set by the Chicago Media, the team that plays gets front page coverage while the off team settles for.........well whatever.
The Tribune today decides to be a pioneer in the sports journalism field by putting a giant full-page picture of Baker & Hendry on the cover (from springtraining mind you-trib had to dig that picture up to feature it) with them getting the Lead Story, despite not having played yesterday. Pathetic.

At the top of the page? Yet another big story (3rd day in a row) of the womens' Chicago Sky.
The Chicago Sky are the 2nd biggest story in Chicago right now? kidding right? I know its the first womens team in Chicago, and im all for womens sports, but CMON. The trib is looking for any excuse to keep the SOX off the front pages/less stories. BS.

Paul Sullivan, who hasnt met a story he couldnt write about the Cubs. His story comes off as a RAHRAH RAH cubfluff/propoganda piece meant to rile the SHEEP back up and to keep them coming to the park. Wood is coming back and the march to october will start soon after. The Trib even goes to great lengths to interview other teams broadcasters about the Cub losing streak, lauding readers to be "patient". Ridiculous.
On a day when the SOX beat their division rivals in a tough series, and their main competitor 8 miles north was OFF, the SOX somehow still lose ground in MediaCoverage. Embarrassing.

Despite winning the World Series in 2005 and off to the best record in the majors this season, the White Sox INEXPLICABLY find themselves lagging far far far behind in Media Coverage to a team that finished in 4th place in 2005, is currently in 5th place now, and hasnt any 90-win seasons since 1990.
Whats wrong with the media?

Chicago Tribune:
5 cub stories
3 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
3 cub stories
4 sox stories
Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 4th place in 2005 Cubs 435
Underdog, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, WS Champs in 05 SOX 372

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferiority_Complex

PaleHoseGeorge
05-16-2006, 12:03 PM
Hangar:

The free advertising the Cubune is giving this team is simply unprecedented in Chicago. The Cubune is giving them a FIVE-DAY feature package! No newcomer franchise has ever gotten more than a one-day treatment similar to this.

Not the Fire. Not the Rush. And certainly none of the minor league teams (baseball and basketball) around Chicago that will outdraw the Sky by not less than a factor of 100.
:o:

This is a joke. The Cubune editors are friends with the Sky owner and other executives who comprise the front office. That's the way things work at Cubune.

And they accuse City Hall of cronyism?
:roflmao:

Dick Allen
05-16-2006, 12:09 PM
The free advertising the Cubune is giving this team is simply unprecedented in Chicago. The Cubune is giving them a FIVE-DAY feature package! No newcomer franchise has ever gotten more than a one-day treatment similar to this.

Not the Fire. Not the Rush. And certainly none of the minor league teams (baseball and basketball) around Chicago that will outdraw the Sky by not less than a factor of 100.

This is a joke. The Cubune editors are friends with the Sky owner and other executives who comprise the front office. That's the way things work at Cubune.

:roflmao:I wouldn't watch the Sky if they were playing in my back yard..well, except maybe to get Dave Cowens' autograph. Like you said, all the free publicity from the Cubune won't help them one bit.

SOXPHILE
05-16-2006, 12:12 PM

:roflmao:

The whole WNBA thing is a joke anyway. The league is on life support even though it is over hyped, and propped up by the NBA,...because nobody cares about it. The only reason it's even still around is because the NBA funds it. Hopefully, Stern does the right thing and finally pulls the plug on this 10 year old car accident. The Tribune running a multiple part series on this new team and shoving it down everyone's throats is very telling about what goes on at the Tower.

Lip Man 1
05-16-2006, 12:31 PM
George:

Who does own the Sky? Like I said in most of the WNBA franchises the NBA team owner also owns the WNBA franchise however Reisndorf very clearly stated for the past few years he wants no part of that operation.

The WNBA had been pushing for something in the Chicago market without success until this past year.

Another question...where are they going to play?

Lip

skobabe8
05-16-2006, 12:58 PM
George:

Who does own the Sky? Like I said in most of the WNBA franchises the NBA team owner also owns the WNBA franchise however Reisndorf very clearly stated for the past few years he wants no part of that operation.

The WNBA had been pushing for something in the Chicago market without success until this past year.

Another question...where are they going to play?

Lip

I believe their homecourt is the UIC Pavillion.

Lip Man 1
05-16-2006, 01:29 PM
Interesting..again most WNBA teams play on the NBA club's home court (maybe all of them...) Since Reinsdorf wants no part of this it stands to reason he wouldn't let them use the United Center.

Lip

MadetoOrta
05-16-2006, 01:32 PM
Everyday even! Kinda like that one guy in Shawshank Redemption did to get the prison library books.

Andy Dufrain

PaleHoseGeorge
05-16-2006, 01:35 PM
George:

Who does own the Sky?
Interesting question. 100 percent of this 5-day marathon feature is courtesy the penmanship of ace Cubune reporter Melissa Isaacson. The money behind the team isn't revealed. However Isaacson spends most of her time focusing on work of Margaret Stender, the team's CEO.

Stender is a well-known commodity in Chicago CPG circles. She was one of the key marketing executives at Quaker Oats when it was still independent and based in Chicago. She played a key role in helping lose that independence after taking charge of Quaker's Snapple brand and watching the company's $1.7 billion investment get dumped for $350 million four years later -- a small little fact ace reporter Melissa Isaacson has failed to mention through Day 3 of her marathon feature. Maybe in Day 4 or 5 she'll find time to mention EXACTLY what the Sky CEO did in her former corporate executive life?
:?:

Stender still lives on the north shore, along with other friends of hers who also get mentioned in Isaacson's coverage. Most noteworthy of these is Sue Wellington, the former chief of Gatorade Worldwide, another executive who left when the Pepsi Boys from Purchase took over.

You think these people aren't connected? Chicago connected? I'm guessing Ann Marie Lipinski knows them on a first name basis.
:wink:

:hizzoner
"Tell 'em, Ann Marie! 'If they don't like it, there is always mistletoe hanging from my skirt... err, umm... coattails!'"

Dick Allen
05-16-2006, 01:38 PM
I believe the principal owner is Michael Alter, who I also believe is a New Trier grad.

jdm2662
05-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Interesting..again most WNBA teams play on the NBA club's home court (maybe all of them...) Since Reinsdorf wants no part of this it stands to reason he wouldn't let them use the United Center.

Lip

Reinsdorf was finally caving in some time ago, provided there were at least 7,500 season tickets sold. When less than 1,000 reservations where made, it was quickly scrapped. Of course, Cubbie Carol of the Sun-Times blamed men for it... I will keep the rest of my comments to myself as I want to avoid a trip to the road house...

Hangar18
05-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Interesting question. 100 percent of this 5-day marathon feature is courtesy the penmanship of ace Cubune reporter Melissa Isaacson. The money behind the team isn't revealed. However Isaacson spends most of her time focusing on work of Margaret Stender, the team's CEO.

Stender is a well-known commodity in Chicago CPG circles. She was one of the key marketing executives at Quaker Oats when it was still independent and based in Chicago. She played a key role in helping lose that independence after taking charge of Quaker's Snapple brand and watching the company's $1.7 billion investment get dumped for $350 million four years later -- a small little fact ace reporter Melissa Isaacson has failed to mention through Day 3 of her marathon feature. Maybe in Day 4 or 5 she'll find time to mention EXACTLY what the Sky CEO did in her former corporate executive life?
:?:

Stender still lives on the north shore, along with other friends of hers who also get mentioned in Isaacson's coverage. Most noteworthy of these is Sue Wellington, the former chief of Gatorade Worldwide, another executive who left when the Pepsi Boys from Purchase took over.

You think these people aren't connected? Chicago connected? I'm guessing Ann Marie Lipinski knows them on a first name basis.
:wink:

:hizzoner
"Tell 'em, Ann Marie! 'If they don't like it, there is always mistletoe hanging from my skirt... err, umm... coattails!'"

:roflmao: :roflmao:

skottyj242
05-16-2006, 02:14 PM

How do you figure The Score talks 99% Cub? I listened most of the day on Sunday because I was stuck on the Ryan going to my mom's and all I heard was Sox talk. Then there was the pre-game. You have a really weird sense of perspective Henry. I know I shouldn't read your threads everyday but it really pains me that you have little to no joy in the great season we had last year and are having this year.

SOXPHILE
05-16-2006, 02:23 PM
How do you figure The Score talks 99% Cub? I listened most of the day on Sunday because I was stuck on the Ryan going to my mom's and all I heard was Sox talk. Then there was the pre-game. You have a really weird sense of perspective Henry. I know I shouldn't read your threads everyday but it really pains me that you have little to no joy in the great season we had last year and are having this year.

-Have you listened at all today, from 10 a.m. till 2:20 (so far) ?

-How about yesterday from 10 till 5 ?

-Every weekday last week from 10 till 5 ?

If you didn't, what you missed was 99.9% Cub talk, with usually the only Sox talk being a caller asking why they were spending so much time on a losing, 5th place team, and not on the current best team in baseball and defending World Champs. Caller would then in turn be chastised and made fun of, and told "O.K. Go ahead. Talk about the Sox. What do you want to say ? Hello ? We're giving you a chance. Nothing to say ? Thought so. Good bye."

Dick Allen
05-16-2006, 03:32 PM
-Have you listened at all today, from 10 a.m. till 2:20 (so far) ?

-How about yesterday from 10 till 5 ?

-Every weekday last week from 10 till 5 ?

If you didn't, what you missed was 99.9% Cub talk, with usually the only Sox talk being a caller asking why they were spending so much time on a losing, 5th place team, and not on the current best team in baseball and defending World Champs. Caller would then in turn be chastised and made fun of, and told "O.K. Go ahead. Talk about the Sox. What do you want to say ? Hello ? We're giving you a chance. Nothing to say ? Thought so. Good bye."Yep, took a late lunch today, managed to avoid Murphy, but it didn't matter. Boers and Bernstein talked all Cubs. What I don't understand is how the heck long can you beat one subject to death, whether it's Dusty Baker or Carrie Wood? To me, there's only so much you can say about it and then move on, for crissakes. This has been going on for weeks.:angry:

Maximo
05-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Yep, took a late lunch today, managed to avoid Murphy, but it didn't matter. Boers and Bernstein talked all Cubs. What I don't understand is how the heck long can you beat one subject to death, whether it's Dusty Baker or Carrie Wood? To me, there's only so much you can say about it and then move on, for crissakes. This has been going on for weeks.:angry:

Exactly........stale.....stale.....stale.

It has been nothing but a Cub "bitch fest" for the last week and a half and I do my damnest to avoid listening to Murphy's show.

Hangar18
05-16-2006, 04:03 PM
Yep, took a late lunch today, managed to avoid Murphy, but it didn't matter. Boers and Bernstein talked all Cubs. What I don't understand is how the heck long can you beat one subject to death, whether it's Dusty Baker or Carrie Wood? To me, there's only so much you can say about it and then move on, for crissakes. This has been going on for weeks.:angry:

I went outside at 2:30. Caller was bitching about Baker. B&B just listened.
Next caller said he wanted to talk Cub. Said maybe its the Fans (cub) Fault.
He bitched about it for a few minutes. Next caller called to talk Cub. Said something about the coaching staff is to blame. Blah Blah. I turned it off
and put Music on. How much more Cub are we going to hear before they realize the SOX are in 1st Place?

Hangar18
05-16-2006, 04:06 PM
How much more time is the SOX Flagship station going to devote to the Cubs? Really quickly, jumped over to WGN 720. Thats the Flub Flagship station. Ive tuned there randomly over 25 times now, and again, they too are NOT talking SOX. Should I be surprised?