PDA

View Full Version : Has the cross town classic lost it's luster?

Dice
05-16-2006, 09:14 AM
Do we as Sox fans really care about beating down the lowly Cubs? I mean come one. Even if they sweep us, which is highly unlikely, all we have to do is talk about championships and the conversation is over.

The only reason this was a rivalry because we considered this as our World Series. Now that we're competing for the REAL World Series what does this series really mean to us?

Uncle_Patrick
05-16-2006, 09:22 AM
Check out these threads for your answer:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71369

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71349

kittle42
05-16-2006, 11:11 AM
The title should read "its" - you people are sloppy lately! :cool:

my5thbench
05-16-2006, 01:06 PM
obviously the importance of the games has been downgraded, perhaps even prior to last year.....that however doesn't downgrade the atmosphere. You can't beat having that many people having that much fun over a regular season 3 game series

even to those of us watching on television the excitement comes through in grand fashion & i see no reason to ever want to lose that feeling. One doesn't have to hate the Cubs, just to recognize what that team means to we fans as a unique rivalry

keep it going for years to come & go go Sox beat the Cub!

Berkules
05-16-2006, 01:13 PM
The title should read "its" - you people are sloppy lately! :cool:
grammar gremlin! and we should all know the difference between whose and who's.

If I see improper there/their/they're usage, I'm going to be irked

soxfanreggie
05-16-2006, 02:29 PM
I don't think it's lost its luster; it's just that the Cubs have blown chunks as of late so both teams aren't in contention.

AWhiteSoxWinner
05-16-2006, 04:22 PM
Even with the World Championship, if the Sox were the top team in the AL and the Cubs were the top team in the NL, the game would be huge. It is just that the Cubs are having such a bad year. I still can't wait. I'll be there Friday with a friend and Sunday tailgating with my Dad. Go Sox!

white sox bill
05-16-2006, 06:21 PM
Yes for me lost a bit of luster. We all know why, we beat them to the holy grail. The cubs are only a punchline now, or an afterthought.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-16-2006, 06:43 PM
I believe the excitement of these games has pretty much been on the wane since 1998. The novelty factor becomes smaller and smaller every year.

I'm rather ambivalent about it this year. Bragging rights meant something when both ballclubs were filthy little children fighting in the sandbox of mediocrity. It was the closest thing to a real playoff series either team's fans figured to enjoy. But now only one of them is a sticky little punk, and the Sox can't help but come off as either bullies or underachievers.

We're world champions. We have nothing to gain scheduling these punks.

Sort of like playing a game of wiffle ball in your backyard against the neighborhood kid with the learning disability.

:cool:

JB98
05-16-2006, 06:50 PM
I believe the excitement of these games has pretty much been on the wane since 1998. The novelty factor becomes smaller and smaller every year.

I'm rather ambivalent about it this year. Bragging rights meant something when both ballclubs were filthy little children fighting in the sandbox of mediocrity. It was the closest thing to a real playoff series either team's fans figured to enjoy. But now only one of them is a sticky little punk, and the Sox can't help but come off as either bullies or underachievers.

We're world champions. We have nothing to gain scheduling these punks.

Sort of like playing a game of wiffle ball in your backyard against the neighborhood kid with the learning disability.

:cool:

On a related note, in past years, I've heard this series described as "having a World Series atmosphere." IMO, such comments were made out of ignorance. The Sox went 46 years in between pennants, and up until last year, many people (including myself) had not ever witnessed a World Series in Chicago. Now that we have experienced a World Series, I would say the intensity is about 100 times higher in late October than it is in the crosstown series. I'm not fired up for the Cubs series at all.

hold2dibber
05-16-2006, 06:54 PM
grammar gremlin! and we should all know the difference between whose and who's.

If I see improper there/their/they're usage, I'm going to be irked

Its very annoying to see that their are still people out they're too whom simple grammer is so difficult, even supposably educated types. I think there just to lazy to get it write. Who nose?

white sox bill
05-16-2006, 06:58 PM
How about playing them every other yr?

comet2k
05-16-2006, 07:10 PM
I agree that the series has lost intensity, but demand for tickets is the highest it has been since Opening Night. Some people are still willing to pay outrageous amounts for tickets. Whether demand is as high as it was in past years, I don't know. Still high compared to other regular season games this year.

SoxEd
05-16-2006, 07:37 PM
Firstly...

just to recognize what that team means to we fans as a unique rivalry

I'm amazed that kittle let that one get by!
:wink:

Secondly, on the subject of demand for tickets to the 'Crosstown Classic', I'm not surprised at all...

Sox fans get to crow at Cub fans, and...

...Cub fans get to see a real baseball team in action!
[Bahdumtishh!ThankyouverymuchfolksI'llbehereallweek ...]

Seriously though, I'd expect demand for these tickets to remain solid.

After all, it's still a chance to gain bragging rights for both sets of fans - if the Cubs win the 'series' their fans will be all over the place claiming that the Lovable Losers are 'better than' the World Champs.

Local derby games are ALWAYS full...

cbone
05-16-2006, 08:36 PM
I agree that the series has lost intensity, but demand for tickets is the highest it has been since Opening Night. Some people are still willing to pay outrageous amounts for tickets. Whether demand is as high as it was in past years, I don't know. Still high compared to other regular season games this year.

I respectfully disagree on the demand for tickets this year. It is lowest I've seen it for a Sox/Cubs series. Look on stubhub and there are plenty of UD's at just over face.

Fenway
05-16-2006, 08:49 PM
The series could be the Cubs season, but I think their fans fear the worse.

The dynamic has changed. Just look at what has happened since the Bartman game.

The Cubs starcrossed cousin of 2003 the Red Sox rebound and win everything the following year, while the Cubs implode in the final week of 2004.

2005 the White Sox win it all and suddenly the Cubs are all by themselves in futility. You have to look at Cleveland and there is a 2 generation gap between 1908 and 48.

Lee's injury destroyed them for 2006 and now you have an angry fanbase FINALLY asking questions.