PDA

View Full Version : NU Baseball Controls Own Big Ten Destiny

Viva Medias B's
05-15-2006, 10:27 PM
Northwestern beat (http://nusports.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/051506aab.html) Michigan State 12-2 today at Rocky Miller Park. This means they remain atop the Big Ten standings with Michigan at 19-9. The 'Cats own the tiebreaker by virtue of taking three of four from the Wolverienes earlier in the season. Contrary to what I said earlier, I believe Northwestern would host the Big Ten tournament should the 'Cats win the regular season title. NU travels to West Lafayette this weekend to take on Purdue. Michigan hosts Iowa.

Max Power
05-15-2006, 11:58 PM
Winning the Big Ten would be pretty sweet. NU hasn't won it since 1957. And they would win it this year with a losing overall record, strange. I saw they had a guy throw a no-hitter vs. MSU over the weekend. Go NU!

peeonwrigley
05-16-2006, 12:21 AM
Northwestern beat (http://nusports.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/051506aab.html) Michigan State 12-2 today at Rocky Miller Park. This means they remain atop the Big Ten standings with Michigan at 19-9. The 'Cats own the tiebreaker by virtue of taking three of four from the Wolverienes earlier in the season. Contrary to what I said earlier, I believe Northwestern would host the Big Ten tournament should the 'Cats win the regular season title. NU travels to West Lafayette this weekend to take on Purdue. Michigan hosts Iowa.
I believe you are correct. Illinois won the regular season last year and got to host the tournament.

Hopefully, for your sake, the Cats don't follow suit on what Illinois did after winning the conference regular season last year (lose their 1st 2 games of the tournament and subsequently fail to qualify for the NCAAs).

JB98
05-16-2006, 12:44 AM
I believe you are correct. Illinois won the regular season last year and got to host the tournament.

Hopefully, for your sake, the Cats don't follow suit on what Illinois did after winning the conference regular season last year (lose their 1st 2 games of the tournament and subsequently fail to qualify for the NCAAs).

If Illinois makes the tournament and Northwestern hosts, it might be worth making the drive up to Evanston to watch. I think the tournament is Memorial Day weekend, when the Sox are on the road.

OkStateSox
05-16-2006, 01:18 AM
The Big 10 hosts its tourney at the regular season champs home ballpark? I guess that would be kind of cool for the home fans but how much money are they throwing away? Obviously college stadiums are very small. I know its the same deal as a regional but with 8 (right?) teams all in the same geographical area you should be able to fill up a larger stadium. Of course the big 10 doesnt have to worry about the whole freaking state of Nebraska trying to get in.

Viva Medias B's
05-16-2006, 08:43 AM
The Big 10 hosts its tourney at the regular season champs home ballpark? I guess that would be kind of cool for the home fans but how much money are they throwing away? Obviously college stadiums are very small. I know its the same deal as a regional but with 8 (right?) teams all in the same geographical area you should be able to fill up a larger stadium. Of course the big 10 doesnt have to worry about the whole freaking state of Nebraska trying to get in.

I wonder how Rocky Miller Park, which is pretty small, would be able to accommodate all the fans that would want to attend this.

Hey, if NU wins the regular season title, AD Mark Murphy ought to call NU law school alum Jerry Reinsdorf and as him if USCF is available.

daveeym
05-16-2006, 11:09 AM
The Big 10 hosts its tourney at the regular season champs home ballpark? I guess that would be kind of cool for the home fans but how much money are they throwing away? Obviously college stadiums are very small. I know its the same deal as a regional but with 8 (right?) teams all in the same geographical area you should be able to fill up a larger stadium. Of course the big 10 doesnt have to worry about the whole freaking state of Nebraska trying to get in. Unless they changed something recently only the top 4 teams play in the conference tourney. Edit: not sure if it's a change or not but it appears to be top 6.

D. TODD
05-16-2006, 11:26 AM
College baseball is kind of difficult to keep up with, but good luck to the 'cats in the big 11. My Tarheels are barely holding off Virginia in the ACC after losing a series to them last week. I think the Heels were #1 in the nation at the time so hopefully I can see them in Omaha this year.

soxfanreggie
05-16-2006, 02:30 PM
NU coming down to Illinois St. Should be interesting to see who we throw against them.

OkStateSox
05-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Unless they changed something recently only the top 4 teams play in the conference tourney. Edit: not sure if it's a change or not but it appears to be top 6.
Oh, most of the other power baseball conferences (I know the big 10 isnt really a power conference in baseball, but its still a high profile conference) have 8 teams at least.

daveeym
05-16-2006, 04:39 PM
Oh, most of the other power baseball conferences (I know the big 10 isnt really a power conference in baseball, but its still a high profile conference) have 8 teams at least. Ok and I was right it was 4 teams before 2000. I also thought the big ten regular season champ and tourny champ got an NCAA tourny bid but I might be mistaken on that as well.

Max Power
05-16-2006, 06:05 PM
Ok and I was right it was 4 teams before 2000. I also thought the big ten regular season champ and tourny champ got an NCAA tourny bid but I might be mistaken on that as well.

Just the tournament champion I believe. I happened to be looking at the Big Ten Baseball record book recently and I know they switched between having the regular season champ or the tournament champ get the automatic bid more than once. I'm pretty sure it's the tournament champ currently.

JB98
05-16-2006, 06:34 PM
Just the tournament champion I believe. I happened to be looking at the Big Ten Baseball record book recently and I know they switched between having the regular season champ or the tournament champ get the automatic bid more than once. I'm pretty sure it's the tournament champ currently.

You are correct. Illinois was the regular season champion last year. However, they crapped out in the conference tournament. As a result, they did not receive a NCAA tournament bid.

Top six teams in the Big 10 make the conference tournament. Northwestern, 19-9 in league play, is below .500 overall. That goes to show the Big 10 isn't a great conference in baseball.

OkStateSox
05-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Northwestern, 19-9 in league play, is below .500 overall. That goes to show the Big 10 isn't a great conference in baseball.
Why is that? Is it just because football has such a big dominance? It just seems like a conference with so many wealthy athletic programs that is located in a region that at least has plenty of baseball fans would be able to mantain a reasonable amount of sucess (like at least 3 teams in the tourney every year). The big 10 has ten of its team compete in the sport and I would consider baseball the third or fourth most important NCAA sport overall througout the country (behind football, basketball, and maybe womens basketball). It just seems wierd that the big 10 cant even come close to competing with the SEC, Big 12, and ACC.

JB98
05-16-2006, 11:09 PM
Why is that? Is it just because football has such a big dominance? It just seems like a conference with so many wealthy athletic programs that is located in a region that at least has plenty of baseball fans would be able to mantain a reasonable amount of sucess (like at least 3 teams in the tourney every year). The big 10 has ten of its team compete in the sport and I would consider baseball the third or fourth most important NCAA sport overall througout the country (behind football, basketball, and maybe womens basketball). It just seems wierd that the big 10 cant even come close to competing with the SEC, Big 12, and ACC.

There just isn't much baseball tradition at a lot of these Big 10 schools. The top players tend to gravitate toward those other conferences you mentioned. Even the MVC does better than the Big 10 in many seasons. To some extent, the cold weather is a factor too. The schools down south get to play all year round. That sounds like an excuse, but it is a reality.