PDA

View Full Version : Pods Hitting .300

comet2k
05-15-2006, 05:04 PM
A month ago Pods was struggling with a .079 batting average and .146 OBP. With three hits and a walk today, his average is up to .300 and his OBP is at .372.
By comparison, Johnny Damon is hitting .289 with a .368 OBP.
Before the season started I worried Pods wouldnít be able to match last seasonís performance at the plate. His awful start had me even more worried.
Now, Iím thinking he could do better than last year.

SBSoxFan
05-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Pods has been turning on a lot more balls this year. After his first at bat today, his OPS for May was 1.144. :o: Must've been all those shoulder exercises in Spring training.

Grinder
05-15-2006, 05:12 PM
Pods has been turning on a lot more balls this year. After his first at bat today, his OPS for May was 1.144. :o: Must've been all those shoulder exercises in Spring training.
OPS? what's that?

I'm worried that he hasn't been stealing many bases, not many at all.

DaleJRFan
05-15-2006, 05:18 PM
OPS? what's that?

Huh? He's 4th in the AL in steals, swiped a bag today. He wasn't stealing bases early on in the year because he was never on base. He's doing just fine.

Chip Z'nuff
05-15-2006, 05:48 PM

Why should he steal??? If 1st is open when Thome's up, guess what any opposing pitcher is going to do.

goon
05-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Huh? He's 4th in the AL in steals, swiped a bag today. He wasn't stealing bases early on in the year because he was never on base. He's doing just fine.

actually i think he is tied for third, i could be wrong though. gotta love all those posts when he was struggling in the beginning of the season when people were freaking out, questioning if he could be the "same" pods as last year :rolleyes: . with the way he has been hitting the ball, he might stay over .300 the entire season, especially with how well everyone else is hitting. it's contagious i tell ya!

chisoxfanatic
05-15-2006, 05:51 PM
It seems Pods spent some time with Greg Walker. He hasn't been swinging at first pitch nearly as much, and he seems much more focused out there than in the first few weeks of the season. We're so fortunate to have two geniuses working under Ozzie (Walker and Coop).

SBSoxFan
05-15-2006, 05:51 PM
OPS? what's that?

OPS = on base + slugging

soxfanaticpaulie
05-15-2006, 05:55 PM
OPS? what's that?

Well, if you are serious, OPS is his On Base % + Slugging % its the big thing to use OPS to help rate the productivity of a hitter, and rightfully so, IMHO.

Pods has been on a tear with stealing bases. He's been on base more, and methinks that he is back to 100% after nursing his injuries for a while.

batmanZoSo
05-15-2006, 06:01 PM
A month ago Pods was struggling with a .079 batting average and .146 OBP. With three hits and a walk today, his average is up to .300 and his OBP is at .372.
By comparison, Johnny Damon is hitting .289 with a .368 OBP.
Before the season started I worried Pods wouldnít be able to match last seasonís performance at the plate. His awful start had me even more worried.
Now, Iím thinking he could do better than last year.

Big kudos for Pods. We can see that as he goes, the team goes. Although I can't believe he just now got to .300. It seems he's been on a tear for a long time (and I guess he has been), but all that to erase a 3/38 start? Geez, what's BA gonna have to do just to end up a mediocre .250? :o:

Corlose 15
05-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Big kudos for Pods. We can see that as he goes, the team goes. Although I can't believe he just now got to .300. It seems he's been on a tear for a long time (and I guess he has been), but all that to erase a 3/38 start? Geez, what's BA gonna have to do just to end up a mediocre .250? :o:

Not as much considering he didn't get off to as bad of a start as Pods and he doesn't have as far to go to get to .250.

Crede_Fan
05-15-2006, 06:15 PM
I may be wrong, but doesn't he already have more triples (and homers!) already this year than he did all of last year?

Bobbo35
05-15-2006, 08:13 PM
The one thing I notice about Pod's swing is he is really keeping his head in their as he swings. He is getting a lot better contact and being able to put the ball where he pleases.

kittle42
05-15-2006, 08:17 PM
The one thing I notice about Pod's swing is he is really keeping his head in their as he swings.

In their what? :o:

Corlose 15
05-15-2006, 08:28 PM
In their what? :o:
Haha, I was thinking the same thing.:cool: Keep up the good work.:gulp:

slobes
05-15-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm ecstatic to see him back on track. Then again, this is almost expected. He's now considered an All-Star ya know...:rolleyes:

lizard6king6
05-15-2006, 09:11 PM
I was never worried at all. I knew it was a mtter of time, I kind of got sick of all these people at the beggining bad mouthing him and saying theres something wrong with him and he's not good anymore after the surgery. I have always been by his side :) Every player has up and downs at different points of the season.

soxinem1
05-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Pods had 12 HR's for the Brewers in 04, and he really became a slap hitter when coming to the Sox. I'm not suprised he turns on a few now here and there, and it adds another weapon to the attack.

comet2k
05-15-2006, 10:04 PM
When Pods was 3-for-38 (.079) he HAD to get better, but if my calculations are right he's hit .391 since April 15. That's a pretty good month's work.

QCIASOXFAN
05-15-2006, 11:13 PM
Glad to see Scotty Po Po finally hitting his seam! Leadoff hitter on base=wins!

gobears1987
05-15-2006, 11:17 PM
Why should he steal??? If 1st is open when Thome's up, guess what any opposing pitcher is going to do.Bingo, we saw that today after the double.

FedEx227
05-16-2006, 12:14 AM
Pods had 12 HR's for the Brewers in 04, and he really became a slap hitter when coming to the Sox. I'm not suprised he turns on a few now here and there, and it adds another weapon to the attack.

Unfortunately I fear that Pods will fall in love with the homer and get away from his slap hitting. If you watched that Brewers season he was hitting popup after popup after popup. He did however ret his career high in SB, but his OBP and AVG really suffered that year. While I do like Pods ability to turn on a few and hit it out, I like that he keeps it out of the way (ala Ichiro).

goofymsfan
05-16-2006, 01:09 AM

He was a line drive/gap hitter when he was in the Mariner's system as well. He's not a home run hitter and when he got into the mode of trying to hit the homers he got away from his game. Go Scotty Go!

chaerulez
05-16-2006, 01:14 AM
Why should he steal??? If 1st is open when Thome's up, guess what any opposing pitcher is going to do.

Well, there is the double play chance, but I agree he should take less attempts when he's on first and Thome is up because they will either pitch around Thome or just outright intentional walk him.

The Dude
05-16-2006, 01:49 AM
Like I said many times to fellow sox fans...the first few weeks were basically his spring training since he was injured and now he's on top of his game. Great to see Pods dominate like the majority of last season!

Stoky44
05-16-2006, 09:53 AM
Well, there is the double play chance, but I agree he should take less attempts when he's on first and Thome is up because they will either pitch around Thome or just outright intentional walk him.

My question is so what if they walk Thome, I would not be too upset because that means Konerko can hit a 3 run homer then. I could see us not being happy if we did not have a good 4 hitter and Thome was walked, but the way I see it is that it is good to have another runner on with a big RBI guy batting. And one on deck with Dye.