PDA

View Full Version : Please let this be a bad dream...

OfficerKarkovice
01-31-2002, 03:46 PM
From ESPN Rumor Mill:

KENNY LOFTON

Jan. 31: Reports have said the A's were interested in Lofton, but assistant GM Paul DePodesta told the Contra Costa Times that "it's not really something we're actively pursuing." He said the team was content in moving Terrence Long back to the leadoff spot, where he hit in 2000. Newsday also reports that the Mets are no longer interested. The Tigers have reportedly offered Lofton a one-year deal for $1 million and the White Sox may have interest after trading Chris Singleton to the Orioles. Right now, they have Aaron Rowand and Brian Simmons for center field. Lofton is coming off the worst season of his 10-year career in 2001 as he established career-lows in batting average (.261), stolen bases (16) and on-base percentage (.322). .

pearso66
01-31-2002, 03:56 PM
eh i dont believe too much on the rumor mill, they are only saying the sox are interested because we traded singleton and have 2 prospects for center. im pretty sure that the sox arent interested in a player thats on the downfall in his career, but then again last year they did sign sandy and harold. but hopefulyl they learned their lesson on that

Jerry_Manuel
01-31-2002, 03:56 PM
ESPN is full of crap.

They see we traded our starting center fielder, so they assume were in the market for a new one.

cheeses_h_rice
01-31-2002, 04:11 PM
Only a team like the Flubbies would sign Lofton...please, Sox, let's look to the future.

Jerry_Manuel
01-31-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Only a team like the Flubbies would sign Lofton...please, Sox, let's look to the future.

Cheeses, you know that rumor is complete BS.

Soxboyrob
01-31-2002, 04:29 PM
Maybe Lofton is a potential bridge to the Borchard era. What's to say that KW doesn't have a Lee trade cooking w/ designs on moving Rowand to LF? Then, we actually DO need a CF'er. I'm not a Lofton guy, but he'd be a nice one or two year bridge until Borchard takes over out there. I know he'd come extremely cheap and last year was his first poor year in a very long time. My guess is he'll play a little better this season. He's worth looking into if Lee is dealt.

Kilroy
01-31-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
...he'd come extremely cheap and last year was his first poor year in a very long time. My guess is he'll play a little better this season. He's worth looking into if Lee is dealt.

I agree that he'll certainly play better. But if they really are interested, sign him BEFORE you deal Lee. The price goes up after.

Best case scenario, IMO: Lofton is not signed, Lee is not traded, Rowand plays CF for the Sox.

danman31
01-31-2002, 05:33 PM
I think Lofton would be a good acquisition for a year or 2. This could be somewhere in the range of John Starks or Karl Malone with the Bulls(Starks did happen), but I don't have that kind of hatrid for Lofton. He is beyond his prime, but he would definetily help out every now and again, esp. with the young kids.

doublem23
01-31-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by danman31
I think Lofton would be a good acquisition for a year or 2. This could be somewhere in the range of John Starks or Karl Malone with the Bulls(Starks did happen), but I don't have that kind of hatrid for Lofton. He is beyond his prime, but he would definetily help out every now and again, esp. with the young kids.

WHAT?

I'll take Rowand over Lofton anyday of the week!

HootieMcBoob
01-31-2002, 06:09 PM
I'll take Rowand over Lofton anyday of the week!

Me too. NO MORE OLD INJUNS ON OUR TEAM - WE ALREADY GOT ONE.

kermittheefrog
01-31-2002, 06:36 PM
I think Lofton would be a good idea, I mean it's not like we haven't already signed an ex-Indian on the wrong side of 30 who has completely failed for us.

Spiff
01-31-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Best case scenario, IMO: Lofton is not signed, Lee is not traded, Rowand plays CF for the Sox.

I agree.

kermittheefrog
01-31-2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

I agree that he'll certainly play better. But if they really are interested, sign him BEFORE you deal Lee. The price goes up after.

3 letters..

L-T-P

Spiff
02-01-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
ESPN is full of crap.

They see we traded our starting center fielder, so they assume were in the market for a new one.

You were saying.

Jerry_Manuel
02-01-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00
You were saying.

Cheeses, already got me on this.

ESPN also had the Sox in the Bret Boone race for a while to.

So there.....

:)

FarWestChicago
02-01-2002, 07:26 PM

Cheeses, already got me on this.

ESPN also had the Sox in the Bret Boone race for a while to.

So there.....

:) I don't know what the big deal is with ESPN being right for once. It's bound to happen. If they were perfectly wrong it would almost imply some sort of knowledge. :D:

Paulwny
02-01-2002, 07:26 PM
~ 80% of rumors are based on some fact, will El Duque be next?

Jerry_Manuel
02-01-2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I don't know what the big deal is with ESPN being right fo once. It's bound to happen. If they were perfectly wrong it would almost imply some sort of knowledge. :D:

The big deal, is that I ran my mouth, and said it wouldn't happen. Now that it has, I look like an ass.

Jerry_Manuel
02-01-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
~ 80% of rumors are based on some fact, will El Duque be next?

That would be an interesting move.

Paulwny
02-01-2002, 07:31 PM

It depends on what KW gives up.

czalgosz
02-01-2002, 07:32 PM

Joe Torre said today that the Yankees would not be trading El Duque. Besides, how old is he? He's listed at 32, but I think he's closer to 36.

I don't like the idea of trading with the Yankees - somehow they always end up on top in those deals.

Jerry_Manuel
02-01-2002, 07:32 PM
It depends on what KW gives up.

What would you offer for him, Paul?

Paulwny
02-01-2002, 07:37 PM

What would you offer for him, Paul?

Josh Paul and they pick up 1/2 of El Duques salary.
I agree with CZ, I can't remember a trade with the yankmees that worked out in our favor.

Jerry_Manuel
02-01-2002, 07:40 PM
Josh Paul and they pick up 1/2 of El Duques salary.
I agree with CZ, I can't remember a trade with the yankmees that worked out in our favor.

Is there really a losing side of the coin, if you trade Josh Paul? The only bad thing that could happen, is that El Duque comes here and he's brutal.

Paulwny
02-01-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

Joe Torre said today that the Yankees would not be trading El Duque. Besides, how old is he? He's listed at 32, but I think he's closer to 36.

Lily or El Duque will be traded before the start of the season.
Lily was the biggest pitching prospect in the yankmee minors, ended up a bust last season.

Paulwny
02-01-2002, 07:44 PM

Lily or El Duque will be traded before the start of the season.
Lily was the biggest pitching prospect in the yankmee minors, ended up a bust last season.

Yankmees wouldn't want Paul., but that's all I'd give.

Spiff
02-01-2002, 07:48 PM

Yankmees wouldn't want Paul., but that's all I'd give.

Royce and Paul for Duque and Soriano.

Haha no but seriously how great would it be to screw the Yankees over in a trade.

We stole Singleton once...

Paulwny
02-01-2002, 07:54 PM

Royce and Paul for Duque and Soriano.

Haha no but seriously how great would it be to screw the Yankees over in a trade.

We stole Singleton once...

That would be a nice trade, but the KING would never allow it.
Soriano has become one of the untouchables.

Huisj
02-01-2002, 07:56 PM
Ok, worst case is that El Duque comes over here and he sucks (as someone said above). Ok, so then we have a sucky pitcher pitching for a while, and we lost ballgames and get off to a bad start. Sounds like last year. Not good.

Spiff
02-01-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
Ok, worst case is that El Duque comes over here and he sucks (as someone said above). Ok, so then we have a sucky pitcher pitching for a while, and we lost ballgames and get off to a bad start. Sounds like last year. Not good.

But he can teach all our pitchers that cool leg-over-the-head thing, which will make Buehrle and Co. even more deadly!

Paulwny
02-01-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Huisj

I agree !!!!!!!!!

czalgosz
02-01-2002, 08:03 PM

That would be a nice trade, but the KING would never allow it.
Soriano has become one of the untouchables.

Alfonso Soriano sucks. He hits like Royce Clayton does. I can't believe that people who would want to get rid of Clayton would want to bring in Soriano.

Soriano was hyped up in the minors for so long to bring in value in trade, that the Yankees ended up believing their own hype, and he became "untouchable".

Spiff
02-01-2002, 08:09 PM
Speaking of the Yankees,

"Despite influential Mets personnel pushing for David Cone to return to Shea Stadium, the veteran right-hander very well may pitch in New York next year -- with the Yankees..."

Steinbrenner is such a douche bag.

Paulwny
02-01-2002, 08:14 PM

Alfonso Soriano sucks. He hits like Royce Clayton does. I can't believe that people who would want to get rid of Clayton would want to bring in Soriano.

Soriano was hyped up in the minors for so long to bring in value in trade, that the Yankees ended up believing their own hype, and he became "untouchable".

The trade talk was a joke.
Soriano became "untouchable" due to the number of teams in st interested in trading for him and the pretty good season he had.
I don't believe in yankmee hype about their minor leagures and I think they were surprised how quickly Soriano adapted to the bigs. The big thing they are tring to teach him is patience at the plate and he was improving in the 2nd half of the season. He hits the ball hard.

Paulwny
02-01-2002, 08:36 PM

During a yankmee broadcast last year, yankmee announcer Michael Kay mentioned that he thought El Duque could be as much as 46 yrs. old.

Spiff
02-01-2002, 08:45 PM
During a yankmee broadcast last year, yankmee announcer Michael Kay mentioned that he thought El Duque could be as much as 46 yrs. old.

Except it prolly sounded something like...

Kay: John, I was down in the locker room, before the game, you know. And I was talkin' to some of the guys and they think El Duque, he could be like 46! Isn't that amazing John??"

Sterling: "Yeah. Great. The Yankees lead off the second..."

Paulwny
02-01-2002, 08:47 PM

Except it prolly sounded something like...

Kay: John, I was down in the locker room, before the game, you know. And I was talkin' to some of the guys and they think El Duque, he could be like 46! Isn't that amazing John??"

Sterling: "Yeah. Great. The Yankees lead off the second..."

LOL

Jerry_Manuel
02-01-2002, 09:04 PM
But he can teach all our pitchers that cool leg-over-the-head thing, which will make Buehrle and Co. even more deadly!

Could you imagine Wunsch trying to do that? I think he'd fall off the mound!

Spiff
02-01-2002, 09:08 PM
Could you imagine Wunsch trying to do that? I think he'd fall off the mound!

Yeah watch for low-flying planes. :smile: