PDA

View Full Version : August 2 1985

Grinder
05-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Where would I be able to find a clip of Carlton Fisk getting those two outs at home?

ondafarm
05-15-2006, 02:43 PM
That was a beautiful play. Dale Berra realized that Bobby Brown was right behind him so he tried to take Fisk out but Fisk is not very take-out-able. I still remember Ricky Henderson looking so perplexed at 2B when he realized what had happened.

peeonwrigley
05-15-2006, 02:47 PM
Its part of the intro for games on the jumbotron. Maybe that video is online?

LongLiveFisk
05-15-2006, 02:48 PM
That was the best play! I watched it live. :D:

Grinder
05-15-2006, 03:04 PM
I've looked online, it can't be found. I was reminded of it when I went to a sox game last Wednesday and one the screen they had a compilation of clips from the Sox's history.

SaltyPretzel
05-15-2006, 03:10 PM
That was the best play! I watched it live. :D:

Cool, I was there also. I saw Tom Seaver's 300th win a few days later.

LongLiveFisk
05-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Cool, I was there also. I saw Tom Seaver's 300th win a few days later.

That all happened in the same 3-game series. The Fisk play was Aug 2 and Seaver's 300th win was Aug 4th. A great, memorable trip to Yankee Stadium. :D:

oldcomiskey
05-15-2006, 03:16 PM
That was a beautiful play. Dale Berra realized that Bobby Brown was right behind him so he tried to take Fisk out but Fisk is not very take-out-able. I still remember Ricky Henderson looking so perplexed at 2B when he realized what had happened.
not picking, but FTR it was Bobby Meacham not Brown

ondafarm
05-15-2006, 03:21 PM
not picking, but FTR it was Bobby Meacham not Brown

Glad you're not picking.

pasquasroachclip
05-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Its part of the intro for games on the jumbotron. Maybe that video is online?

I don't know if it's online anywhere, but the intro is an extra on the Sox Pride DVD.

Lip Man 1
05-15-2006, 03:53 PM
Regarding the play:

August 2, 1985- An incredible weekend in New York starts with perhaps the most unusual play in White Sox history. With Britt Burns on the mound, Rickey Henderson slams a double to left center over the head of Luis Salazar. Yankee base runners Bobby Meacham and Dale Berra get confused because it looked like Salazar might have been able to make the catch. Meacham stumbles running the bases and is nearly passed by Berra. Both runners get hung up and attempt to score as Salazarís relay throw is caught by Ozzie Guillen and fired to Carlton Fisk at the plate. Fisk then tags out and knocks down BOTH Meacham and Berra one / two as they attempt to score. Thatís two for the price of one at home plate! To cap things off the Sox win the game 6-5 in 11 innings.

Regarding the video clip.....:smile:

This was a special Friday Night Game of the Week on NBC-TV. Vin Scully had the call.

Lip

Trav
05-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Regarding the play:

August 2, 1985- An incredible weekend in New York starts with perhaps the most unusual play in White Sox history. With Britt Burns on the mound, Rickey Henderson slams a double to left center over the head of Luis Salazar. Yankee base runners Bobby Meacham and Dale Berra get confused because it looked like Salazar might have been able to make the catch. Meacham stumbles running the bases and is nearly passed by Berra. Both runners get hung up and attempt to score as Salazarís relay throw is caught by Ozzie Guillen and fired to Carlton Fisk at the plate. Fisk then tags out and knocks down BOTH Meacham and Berra one / two as they attempt to score. Thatís two for the price of one at home plate! To cap things off the Sox win the game 6-5 in 11 innings.

Regarding the video clip.....:smile:

This was a special Friday Night Game of the Week on NBC-TV. Vin Scully had the call.

Lip

Did Guillen get credit for two assists on the play?

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-15-2006, 06:29 PM
i'd love to see and old clip because i'm all about the old school.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-15-2006, 07:10 PM
Isn't that pregame video on the Sox Pride DVD/extras section?

steveironcity
05-15-2006, 07:15 PM

Dale Berra was probably so high, he thought he could take out a tank

LongLiveFisk
05-15-2006, 07:17 PM
I was just amazed at how close the second baserunner was to the first....I don't remember if it was just because Runner #2 was that much faster and caught up to Runner #1 or if Runner #1 was momentarily daydreaming.

(I'm using "Runner #1" and "Runner #2" because I can't seem to remember which guy was which!)