PDA

View Full Version : Singleton-isms

sox230
05-15-2006, 10:34 AM
I think that we should start a thread about the stupid things Singleton says that make absolutely no sense. I was driving up to Ann Arbor last night and I could not even understand what was going on in the game, whether balls that were hit were hits or outs or anything. I believe that the Score is actually hurting their profits even though they signed the less-expensive Singleton because they just turn listeners away. Anyways, I digress. I will start the Singleton-isms:

1. He created the word "conversate" when stating what he loves to do with Farmer
2. He claimed that because Uribe was 2 for 2 at the time his average would rise from .175 to "about .200" WOW:?: :?:

zmz723
05-15-2006, 11:22 AM
when an umpire ejects somone, he shoudn't make the "arm motion" towards the field, he should do it to the clubhouse. Doing towards the field means the manager should stay out there :?:

Dick Allen
05-15-2006, 11:28 AM
I really haven't listened much at all to Farmer and Singleton. But I did listen while in the car to the game they lost to the Angels. Podsednik on 1st, 2 outs, Iguchi with a 2-2 count. "Podsednik going, the throw down, he's safe, the ball gets away, Podsednik heading into 3rd base....the pitch was strike three, the Angels jogging off the field." :?:

DaleJRFan
05-15-2006, 11:32 AM
Singleton had a pretty damn funny quote lastnight in the ninth when Gardenhire got the boot.

went a little something like this:

When the umpire throws a guy out, why doesn't he, ya know... throw him out towards the team's dugout or at least towards the clubhouse? They always throw him out towards the field, as if to say, "Hey you, take a position!!"

:roflmao:

mccoydp
05-15-2006, 01:03 PM
1. He created the word "conversate" when stating what he loves to do with Farmer

I've heard "conversate" at work from people with graduate degrees. Nice. :redneck

EastCoastSoxFan
05-15-2006, 01:05 PM
I've heard "conversate" at work from people with graduate degrees. Nice. :redneck
But you probably haven't heard about "rocket surgery" -- oops, that's a DJ-ism...

shes
05-15-2006, 06:13 PM
But you probably haven't heard about "rocket surgery" -- oops, that's a DJ-ism...
That whole rocket surgery/brain science exchange btw Hawk and DJ along with the stifled laughter was one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

RKMeibalane
05-15-2006, 06:22 PM

Kittle42's head will explode.

kittle42
05-15-2006, 06:37 PM

That's the problem...everyone's head should explode!

rightsox
05-15-2006, 06:43 PM
"Here's the pitch..."

[7 seconds elapse]

"He drives the ball to center..."

[7 seconds elapse]

"and it's caught..."

[7 seconds elapse]

"by the centerfielder."

:angry:

Blueprint1
05-15-2006, 07:26 PM
"Here's the pitch..."

[7 seconds elapse]

[7 seconds elapse]

"and it's caught..."

[7 seconds elapse]

"by the centerfielder."

Yeah thats what is sounds like. I hate when I am stuck in the car when he is doing play by play. Seems like a nice guy but he isnt what I expect out of a Major league baseball play by play guy.

jongarlandlover
05-15-2006, 08:28 PM
"Here's the pitch..."

[7 seconds elapse]

[7 seconds elapse]

"and it's caught..."

[7 seconds elapse]

"by the centerfielder."

yeah, that sounds exactly like him.

i can't stand listening to it on the radio, they drive me insane.

LongLiveFisk
05-15-2006, 09:06 PM

So will mine. I hate that word!

TornLabrum
05-15-2006, 10:18 PM
That whole rocket surgery/brain science exchange btw Hawk and DJ along with the stifled laughter was one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

That and "but don't strap it on."

jehosaphat
05-15-2006, 10:34 PM
"Here's the pitch..."

[7 seconds elapse]

[7 seconds elapse]

"and it's caught..."

[7 seconds elapse]

"by the centerfielder."

The guy seems OK for a Class A team - he just doesn't seem very experienced - every night I hear him I get the sense that tonights game is the first game he's ever called. I wish they would have hired Steve Lyons when they had the chance.

On the other hand, I like Farmer and always have.

Brian26
05-15-2006, 11:01 PM
Last night, I heard a frightening exchange between Farmer and Singleton. Farmer mentioned that Duchscherer wouldn't be making the trip to Chicago. Singleton asked why. Farmer said, "Because he's on the DL." Singleton replied, "Really?"

At this point I'm just stunned that Singleton admitted that he doesn't read the paper or pay attention. Then Singleton said, "DL...you mean the 'down-low?'.....just kidding."

whitesoxwilkes
05-15-2006, 11:03 PM
So will mine. I hate that word!

Maybe you need to re-orientate your way of thinking about the language.

Hendu
05-16-2006, 12:00 AM
The thing that's been driving me crazy when Singleton takes over play-by-play is that he describes the play before he mentions the result.

For example, he'll describe the type of pitch thrown, the direction it was breaking, exactly where it hit the catcher's mitt and the batter's reaction to the pitch before he mentions whether the ump called it a ball or strike.

Same thing on a hit, he'll describe the pitch, where the ball was hit, the direction the ball was slicing, the route the outfielder took before mentioning whether it dropped in or was caught.

It's very frustrating, especially in an important situation in the game. We need to know what is happening first and then hear the details.

MILTMAY5
05-16-2006, 01:29 AM
Darrin Jackson + Chris Singleton = BRUTAL!!!!

Edward
05-16-2006, 01:57 AM

But Hawk and Ed? I wonder how that would be....

Mercy!
05-16-2006, 03:19 AM
Last night, I heard a frightening exchange between Farmer and Singleton. Farmer mentioned that Duchscherer wouldn't be making the trip to Chicago. Singleton asked why. Farmer said, "Because he's on the DL." Singleton replied, "Really?"

At this point I'm just stunned that Singleton admitted that he doesn't read the paper or pay attention. Then Singleton said, "DL...you mean the 'down-low?'.....just kidding."
Hey, that was funny, not frightening.:tongue: But more the type of joke DJ would make. Singleton seems so straight-arrow.

Ron Karkovice
05-16-2006, 03:43 AM

am I the only one who thinks that DJ with some years of experience under his belt is a good commentater and refreshing to listen to?

i guess i'm just bias and love everything White Sox

MILTMAY5
05-16-2006, 04:14 AM
But Hawk and Ed? I wonder how that would be....My dream teams would be (T.V.) Hawk and Jeff Torborg and (Radio) Farmer and Steve Stone.

Erik The Red
05-16-2006, 06:00 AM
am I the only one who thinks that DJ with some years of experience under his belt is a good commentater and refreshing to listen to?

No, I think that DJ's doing a fine job after getting several years under his belt. His HR call is still brutal as ever, though.

0o0o0
05-16-2006, 08:48 AM
I'm definitely starting to warm up to Singleton. His PBP is still brutal, but I get a kick out of some the exchanges between the two of them.

During the game friday, Singleton was talking about Southpaw and called him a left-handed animal. Farmer jumped in and said that it's not an animal, and he spent the next minute trying to figure out what Southpaw is. After about a minute of thinking, he came to the conclusion that Southpaw is a left-handed mascot. :roflmao:

soxrme
05-16-2006, 08:58 AM
The thing that's been driving me crazy when Singleton takes over play-by-play is that he describes the play before he mentions the result.

For example, he'll describe the type of pitch thrown, the direction it was breaking, exactly where it hit the catcher's mitt and the batter's reaction to the pitch before he mentions whether the ump called it a ball or strike.

Same thing on a hit, he'll describe the pitch, where the ball was hit, the direction the ball was slicing, the route the outfielder took before mentioning whether it dropped in or was caught.

It's very frustrating, especially in an important situation in the game. We need to know what is happening first and then hear the details.
I agree with you totally, he has on numerous occasions not said if the ball dropped or was caught. He will learn, he seems like a bright guy but we do not deserve someone in training. The Score's decision was nothing but a money saving decision. A good play by play guy was needed so Farmer could just do color. I love listening to the Sox on the radio but they sure make it difficult. They might both improve in a couple of years but I doubt it.

rdwj
05-16-2006, 09:00 AM

He's not Wimpy yet, but I really enjoy listening to DJ. He's grown into the role.

mwc44
05-16-2006, 09:07 AM
http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/was/downloads/tom_paciorek.jpg
"... I could have done this better blindfolded, dontcha think, Hawkeroo?"

Heffalump
05-16-2006, 09:59 AM
He's not Wimpy yet, but I really enjoy listening to DJ. He's grown into the role.

I love D.J. While he is no John Rooney by far, I agree that he has grown into the role. He adds a bit of funny/nerdy goofball to offset Hawks' sometimes over-inflated whiney ego.

It also seems to me that Hawk leaves D.J. alone in the both a lot more this year than in the past.

mzol11
05-16-2006, 02:30 PM
Earlier in the year: "The Sox have won 7 in a row and 7 of their last 8". Well I guess that is a true statement.

Mercy!
05-16-2006, 02:38 PM
...It also seems to me that Hawk leaves D.J. alone in the both a lot more this year than in the past.
Yes. And not just that, but I have seen a night and day change just this year in Harrelson not having to disagree with every blinkin' opinion that DJ expresses that isn't exactly toeing the Hawkaroo line.

All in all, it seems like a convergence of DJ coming into his own, and Hawk recognizing that he couldn't push him around in the same way anymore.

The one who consistently exasperates me over the course of the long season is Stretch Harrelson. But so far this year, it's been a pretty good broadcasting experience.

johnr1note
05-16-2006, 02:46 PM

I think you're giving CS way too much credit. He doesn't give us exact descriptions -- its as if he's groping for the right word.

It is common for a play to unfold with him beginning to describe the action (e.g. "There's a line drive ..... to center field .....) and the play will be completed, and you'll actually hear the crowd reaction before you know what has happened in the mean time. He then will often simply drop the concept in mid sentence and move on to whatever is happening next, as if we don't NEED to know what is happening.

The saddest commentary on Singleton's inability is I often listen to the games on XM (even the home games, because sometimes XM will run thier own ads during the commercial breaks, and I don't have to listen to any of WSCR's promotions). The display on my XM radio gives me the score of the game and the inning the game is in (e.g. "Top 5th") and the number of outs. The out will often be registered on the display BEFORE Singleton gets around to describing what happened.

longshot7
05-16-2006, 02:57 PM
I'm coming around on Singleton. While I agree, they should have probably hired someone with major league experience, or Tommy John, Singleton has really grown on me and has improved leaps and bounds in his pbp. remember how bad DJ was his first year?

Anyway, whoever called the term "Singletonism" is right on. Yesterday, Chris and Ed were talking about what to do if you're fighting off an alligator who's trying to eat you. And that thing about "Take a position" is pretty funny. There was one other really funny moment yeasterday but I can't remember what it is. Oh well.

johnr1note
05-16-2006, 03:34 PM
I'm coming around on Singleton. While I agree, they should have probably hired someone with major league experience, or Tommy John,

Are you saying Tommy John has no major league experience?