PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 5/15/06

Hangar18
05-15-2006, 09:31 AM
"Jim Hendry has spent weeks working the telephone since Derrek Lees' wrist injury April 19th". Translation: The Marlins & Pirates wont give any players away right now. Isnt it funny how the other teams fortunes directly are linked to those of the Pittsburgh and Florida teams?

Despite Winning the World Series in 2005, and being only the 5th team in mlb history to lead from wire-to-wire, the SOX INEXPLICABLY find themselves still lagging far far behind in Media Coverage to a team that, is in 5th place right now, finished in 4th place in 05, and has 3 90-win seasons since 1950. Pathetic.
Chicago Tribune:
4 cub stories
3 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
4 cub stories
3 sox stories
Standings as of Monday May 15th, 2006
Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 4th Place in 05, 5th Place today
Cubs 427
Underdog, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, WSChamps in 05, 1st Place today
SOX 365

SOXPHILE
05-15-2006, 09:50 AM
The paper I saw was 3-3 Cubs/Sox, with 1 other story about the numbers players for both teams wear. What's really funny is, I think TribCo, for the moment, might be giving up on the baseball season. The Cubs are bad, REALLY bad. The Sox have the best record in baseball, and last night, came back to win 9-7. First time since 1900 a pitcher has given up 7 runs in the 1st inning, and still gotten the victory. They even turned a triple play. What's on the front cover of the sports section though ? <drumroll please>...a HUGE full color photo of...Dave Cowens, and a headline about a women's basketball team he's going to coach in Chicago.

Also, the media was falling all over themselves to let us know that Eddy Veder sang the 7th inning stretch at The Urinal.

Hitmen77
05-15-2006, 09:53 AM
The electronic media is just as bad as the print media. Yesterday, Channel 5's 10PM news had Eddie Vedder singing the 7th inning stretch as a main news story (not a sports story, but something reported in their main news segment). Can someone please tell me why this is news? The local media is pathetic.

Hangar18
05-15-2006, 10:08 AM
Overheard yesterday on ESPN telecast
"the white sox are in 1st place tie with the Detroit Tiger. Who are these Tigers, dont know anything about them"
Gammons replies "well theyre a good team with strong pitching, we havnt seen them here on ESPN for a while ......................All the teams in this division dont get big crowds attendance wise, but theyre probably the best in the majors". Nice Gammons. What he really shouldve said is "were too busy covering the Cubs and Yankees on Sunday Nite Baseball, we forgot about the other teams". PATHETIC. Esp the attendance throw-in. ridiculous

palehozenychicty
05-15-2006, 10:12 AM
"the white sox are in 1st place tie with the Detroit Tiger. Who are these Tigers, dont know anything about them"
Gammons replies "well theyre a good team with strong pitching, we havnt seen them here on ESPN for a while ......................All the teams in this division dont get big crowds attendance wise, but theyre probably the best in the majors". Nice Gammons. What he really shouldve said is "were too busy covering the Red Sox and Yankees on Sunday Nite Baseball, we forgot about the other teams". PATHETIC. Esp the attendance throw-in. ridiculous

As everyone on the board knows, Gammons covers the Red Cubs/Yankee$/AL Least more than any other team, not the flubs. be honest with yourself.

Hangar18
05-15-2006, 10:30 AM
As everyone on the board knows, Gammons covers the Red Cubs/Yankee$/AL Least more than any other team, not the flubs. be honest with yourself.

Yes, but the 4th Place in 2005 Cubs have somehow "earned" the SAME amount of Nationally Televised games as the World Series Champion in 2005 White Sox. Thats why ESPN doesnt know anything about the Tigers (and most other teams). Theyre too busy filling their slate with cub games.
Think about what was said. "We dont know anything about the Tigers".
This is ESPN, all they do is cover sports. Its not like ESPN is in the food-service industry and dont know anything about the Detroit Tigers.

samram
05-15-2006, 10:35 AM
Gammons replies "well theyre a good team with strong pitching, we havnt seen them here on ESPN for a while ......................All the teams in this division dont get big crowds attendance wise, but theyre probably the best in the majors". Nice Gammons. What he really shouldve said is "were too busy covering the Cubs and Yankees on Sunday Nite Baseball, we forgot about the other teams". PATHETIC. Esp the attendance throw-in. ridiculous

Gammons said the AL Central had four of the lowest attendance teams, but that it might be the best division in baseball. I'm guessing he was excluding the Sox from the attendance remark.

Hangar18
05-15-2006, 10:41 AM
Also, did anyone catch the ESPN daily updates this morning.
"The Cubs are hoping they dont face SanDiego in the playoffs ........
because they are 0-7 against them" :angry:

SOXPHILE
05-15-2006, 10:44 AM
Also, did anyone catch the ESPN daily updates this morning.
"The Cubs are hoping they dont face SanDiego in the playoffs ........
because they are 0-7 against them" :angry:

HA !! Don't worry, Cubs. You won't have to worry about that. After October 1, the only thing they'll have to worry about is if the grounds are in good shape at their favorite golf courses.

credefan24
05-15-2006, 10:51 AM
I heard Gammons' remark and almost threw my shoe at the television.
What in the heck does attendance have to do with anything? I thought they covered baseball, i.e., teams, stats, news. A team's record has little, if any correlation to attendance. God, I hate this ESPN crap. Gammons blows.

Go SOX

CHISOXFAN13
05-15-2006, 11:36 AM

He said four of the five teams don't draw. I'm pretty sure you can figure out the fifth team in that group.

maurice
05-15-2006, 11:46 AM
story about the numbers players for both teams wear.

This is the story when that moron Van Dick reminds us that Jon Adkins was traded for Alex Cintron.
:rolleyes:

skottyj242
05-15-2006, 12:06 PM
Did anyone notice in the Sun-Times the player that ended the triple play was Jose Uribe?

SOXPHILE
05-15-2006, 12:12 PM
This is the story when that moron Van Dick reminds us that Jon Adkins was traded for Alex Cintron.
:rolleyes:

Oh my God ! I didn't even see that. Hey that's some REAL good research and reporting there Mr. V. I'm just glad that they traded Carl Everet to the Orioles to get Thome !

Dan Mega
05-15-2006, 12:27 PM
With this weekend's upcoming series, I'm wondering if the Cubune will have more articles on the Cubs or Sox fans that allegedly attacked the Cubs fans.

FielderJones
05-15-2006, 12:32 PM
Saving the Ace (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060514soxgamer,1,2166452.story)

"St. Louis' Jack Powell was the last pitcher to survive a seven-run first and win, beating the Chicago Orphans 10-7 in the first game of a doubleheader on Sept. 29, 1900."

By the way, we forgot to mention that the Orphans (http://baseball-reference.com/teams/CHC/1900.shtml) were the Chicago National League ball club.

Hangar18
05-15-2006, 12:37 PM
Anyone else know what was conspicuously missing?
the Cubs are starting to empty out their bench and start calling up new players every week. The Latest call-up, Jae Kuk Ryu, was called up the other day amid NO FANFARE. What fanfare you say? This is the guy that purposely KILLED a protected bird while in Florida. Notice how NOT ONE of the networks or dailies mentioned this when he pitched?

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geutiHu2hEH3kB50dXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE3b21rb3N mBGNvbG8DZQRsA1dTMQRwb3MDNQRzZWMDc3IEdnRpZANCMTAxX zEwOQ--/SIG=11nd7fkk5/EXP=1147800839/**http%3a//www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4387299

Dont think for a moment Tribune, we forgot about this

maurice
05-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Hmmm, Sox rolling in an early game + no Cubs game tonight may = interesting Media Watch thread tomorrow.

gobears1987
05-15-2006, 02:36 PM
Did anyone notice in the Sun-Times the player that ended the triple play was Jose Uribe?I thought it was Chad Hermanson

SOXPHILE
05-15-2006, 03:25 PM
Anyone else know what was conspicuously missing?
the Cubs are starting to empty out their bench and start calling up new players every week. The Latest call-up, Jae Kuk Ryu, was called up the other day amid NO FANFARE. What fanfare you say? This is the guy that purposely KILLED a protected bird while in Florida. Notice how NOT ONE of the networks or dailies mentioned this when he pitched?

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geutiHu2hEH3kB50dXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE3b21rb3N mBGNvbG8DZQRsA1dTMQRwb3MDNQRzZWMDc3IEdnRpZANCMTAxX zEwOQ--/SIG=11nd7fkk5/EXP=1147800839/**http%3a//www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4387299

Dont think for a moment Tribune, we forgot about this

Can you IMAGINE the fanfare Tribco would give to a Sox player had one of them done that, and then been called up ? We would have been treated to more than a few articles and offhand references to the incident.

maurice
05-15-2006, 05:28 PM
Compare it to an uncorroborated media report in a single Venezuelan tabloid indicating that Garcia just maybe might have tested positive for MJ, despite no evidence of an official sanction and no evidence that the WBC even tested for MJ. That resulted in about 20 articles and numerous TV comments.