PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 5/14/06

Hangar18
05-15-2006, 08:34 AM
The Weeping and Anguish of the Chicago Media is on full-display here in Chicago. All Day Sunday, Every sports show is dominating with whats-wrong-with-cubs programming. Hosts are prodding callers to call in and moan about Dusty. Is basically REPULSIVE. One team in 1st, other in 5th.
Ridiculous to drive for coffee and have nothing to listen to but CubTalk.
I checked throughout the morning and afternoon with all of the major sports talkers. Out of the 25 or so random times I checked to see what they were talking about .........all 25 times, or 100% of the time was CubTalk. Can we talk about the first place team instead of the 5th place team please?

What took the cake was Hub Arkush' open disgust and frustration at the plight of his favorite team, gushing how Chicago deserves a winner (ummm, sox 05?) and that cub fans have been so "loyal" for so long. (puke) He went on and on and on, finally saying they'd get to some SOX talk, but lets take more CubCalls. He never did talk about the SOX.

Best part print-wise? The Chicago Tribunes back page, back-handed compliment to the SOX "turning the tide" article. Basically, someone over at the Trib has been reading my Media Watches, and are visibly upset at my ZERO 90-win seasons since 1990, only THREE 90-win seasons since 1950 Stat. So they countered with a stat in which they measure the number of wins over the other teams number of wins. The Cubs apparently have 3 seasons in which theyve had 34 or more wins than the SOX in a season. Theres a fullcolor graph showing these stats, and I noticed those seasons were all during the early 1900's, when streetcars hurtled thru the streets, Ice was a valuable commodity, and there werent more than a handful of teams in baseball. NICE TRY TRIB
Chicago Tribune:
3 cub stories
3 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
7 cub stories
3 sox stories
Standings as of Sunday May 14th, 2006
Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, 0 90-win seasons since 1990
Cubs 419
Underdog, Media Maligned, Media Ignored, 4 90-win seasons since 1990
SOX 359

Scottiehaswheels
05-15-2006, 09:23 AM
Got a crazy idea.... We tell Cub fans the results aren't gonna change until they stop going to the games right? Maybe, just maybe, if all Sox fans stopped buying papers maybe we'd get equal coverage? Putting our money where are mouths are.... I know, its a BIZARRE thought....

maurice
05-15-2006, 11:38 AM
The back cover of my version of the Sunday Sun-Times had a near full-page splash picture of the lovable losers and didn't even mention that the Sox exist.

SOecks
05-15-2006, 11:50 AM
Hangar, why no mention about the Trib article on how even the Sox players had little requests for tickets for Cubs-Sox at the Cell but were clamoring to go to beautiful Wrigley Field?

maurice
05-15-2006, 11:53 AM
Hangar, why no mention about the Trib article on how even the Sox players had little requests for tickets for Cubs-Sox at the Cell but were clamoring to go to beautiful Wrigley Field?

They printed that BS? AJ was on the radio this morning, complaining that it's impossible to fill player ticket requests for the series at the Cell.

BainesHOF
05-15-2006, 11:55 AM
Will the employees of the Tribune and Sun-Times please explain why there have been so many more stories written on the Cubs than the Sox this season?

Come out, come out wherever you are.