PDA

View Full Version : Who Cares?

StockdaleForVeep
05-15-2006, 03:49 AM
Legitimate question since we are nearing the sox\cubs series. Naturally people drive up this rivalry issue and whatnot. I ask an honest question, how many take this seriously anymore? There was a time when the sox were durin the medicore manuel seasons where i did value this but with the cubs decline and the sox winning the world series, i dont see a point to get rilled up

"Oh your sox suck!"
"yeah....world series champions......suck....right"

I mean, id gladly take the cubs sweeping the sox every year if it ment the sox winning the title every year. The only way these interleague games affect me is if the losses may hurt us in our al central race or if the cubs somehow make their way to the world series, untill either happen, i simply ask now, Who really does care and why?

People cite the media bias....so? If anythin im annoyed with more people\media coverage of the sox, meaning i cant walk up and get semi decent seats. Lack of coverage does not mean lack of a great team

Me personally, i find the more exiciting and stressfull games being against the twins or indians IMO

ChiWavDave
05-15-2006, 07:11 AM
I couldn't agree more, especially with the current states of the cubs and sox. Its hard to get all worked up when the cubs are in nuclear meltdown. I truly feel bad for my friends who are real cubs fans (not wrigley fans). We don't really talk anymore, there is not sunny optimism from them they are cynical, harsh, angry and feeling helpless. All of interleague play could go away for all I care, I'd rather add series for the yanks, carmines, etc. I'm far more concerned with the state of Garland/Buerle and getting a healthy Mr. Contreras back and rolling...

cheeses_h_rice
05-15-2006, 07:30 AM
I see no good coming out of this series for the Sox. If they fail to take 2 or 3 of 3, then the chirping from the other side starts.

Plus I can already imagine some of the classless stuff we're going to hear about coming from Sox fans. You just know 120,000 fans aren't going to completely behave themselves for the entire weekend.

rdwj
05-15-2006, 07:32 AM
I want the Sox to win this series - just like any other series. Right now, I'm much more concerned about the Tigers.

Jurr
05-15-2006, 07:55 AM
I want the Sox to win this series - just like any other series. Right now, I'm much more concerned about the Tigers.
I like the Cubs games because they bring a playoff-type atmosphere to the stadium in May. All of the players usually say that the intensity is pretty high, and it gives the guys a lift from the doldrums of everyday baseball.

Plus, with the Tigers a half game back, wins are wins.

TomBradley72
05-15-2006, 07:56 AM
Won't be going to any of the Cubs/Sox games....the pure annoyance factor has me staying away. But the pregame on Friday should be interesting as all the Cubbie fans get to soak up the championship banners, the opening montage, etc...that will be one of the highlights of the weekend.

rwcescato
05-15-2006, 08:43 AM
Legitimate question since we are nearing the sox\cubs series. Naturally people drive up this rivalry issue and whatnot. I ask an honest question, how many take this seriously anymore? There was a time when the sox were durin the medicore manuel seasons where i did value this but with the cubs decline and the sox winning the world series, i dont see a point to get rilled up

"Oh your sox suck!"

I mean, id gladly take the cubs sweeping the sox every year if it ment the sox winning the title every year. The only way these interleague games affect me is if the losses may hurt us in our al central race or if the cubs somehow make their way to the world series, untill either happen, i simply ask now, Who really does care and why?

People cite the media bias....so? If anythin im annoyed with more people\media coverage of the sox, meaning i cant walk up and get semi decent seats. Lack of coverage does not mean lack of a great team

Me personally, i find the more exiciting and stressfull games being against the twins or indians IMO

I really don't care that much anymore either. It use to mean more. But now especially after we won the World Series it doesn't really matter. A 6 game in season sweep would be nice though and that starts with Fridays game.
Rich

Chez
05-15-2006, 08:45 AM
I'm going Friday and Saturday. I always look forward to these games but then when the series is over, I say to myself that, "I'm getting too old for this" -- the series always brings out the inner 13 year old in me. I find myself getting way too worked up over these games (my wife refuses to attend with me anymore -- I think heckling a 12 year old wearing a Prior jersey in 2004 was the last straw for her).

I don't think I'll get as lathered up as usual this weekend -- we hold the ultimate trump card even if we lose the series. I say that on Monday. But, I'm sure my blood will be boiling at 3:00 on Friday.

Iguana775
05-15-2006, 08:47 AM
I dont really care much about the 'rivalry'. The only thing it's good for is a little bragging rights between me and Mrs. Iggy. She's a cubs fan. Other than that, it's just another game. :cool:

ws05champs
05-15-2006, 08:52 AM
In years past when neither team was championship material it was like a city championship series. Now that the Sox are the World Series Champions and the cubs are headed to the bottom, on paper it has less appeal than a Royals game, because at least the Royals are in our division.

The Sox have no prestige to gain by beating the cubs and the cubs have all the prestige to gain if they can take the series from the World Champs. And for those of us who have to associate with cubs fans, we will have to listen to their delusions as to why this makes the cubs better than the Sox if that should happen.

cbotnyse
05-15-2006, 09:22 AM
I know most people on these boards do not care about this series because, in the big picture, it really doesnt matter. it is just anoter three game series against a mediorce team in May. the only way this series will matter if its in the World Series.

however, it is a rivalry. I just wish people can keep it civil. I have been to many a Sox vs Cubs game and there is nothing I hate more than seeing pointless fighting, and I mean phyisical fights. There is nothing worse than seeing very drunk idiots throwing punches at each other over something like this...and then seeing morons around them cheering them on.

I hope fans will show some class and keep that to a minimum this weekend.

soxinem1
05-15-2006, 09:24 AM

Both series against the cubs are key, especially sice the Tigers are right on our heels. Having said that, the Sox need to treat them as any opponent, and that is to win the series.

FedEx227
05-15-2006, 09:28 AM
I'm also not fully into the "rivalry" this year. But like others said above, its a series and I always want to win. Plus its a city vs. city so of course you want to see your side dominate.

Unfortunately the annoyance factor takes all fun out of this series. If the Cubs win 2 out of 3 we'll never hear the end of it, if the Sox win 2 out of the 3 its because we cheated in the playoffs last year or something. Add in with the fact that park is just pure mayhem.

spiffie
05-15-2006, 09:29 AM
"Who Cares?" There is a simple math formula to figure out this one among our fanbase: number of White Sox fans - (WSI membership * .8) = White Sox fans who still want to beat the hell out of the Cubs.

Basically everywhere except here, where sometimes it seems there is a race to be the most unconcerned and disdainful of the whole thing, Sox fans are still looking forward to this series as they will every year that there are two teams in Chicago. This is basically the refuge for everyone who wants no part of acknowledging the other team even exists, let alone that we have to deal with playing them. I would guess maybe 20% of this site would admit to being excited about this series.

Uncle_Patrick
05-15-2006, 09:46 AM
I "care" in the fact that I look forward to the series and think its fun. I don't "care" in a way that I'd get despressed if the Sox lost a game to the Cubs. I never have, though.

Procol Harum
05-15-2006, 09:59 AM
While some of the intensity has been taken from the rivalry by the Sox' World Series triumph (the ultimate trump card in the desert that has been Chicago baseball these last 80+ years) and the Cubs' utter ineptitude, now is certainly no time to take the series for granted. Besides further disarming Flubdumb, the Sox need to fatten up on the dregs of the Majors like the North Side ballclub--as others have pointed out, Detroit is on a roll, and it's way too early to count out either Cleveland or the Twinks.

Cellview22
05-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Won't be going to any of the Cubs/Sox games....the pure annoyance factor has me staying away. But the pregame on Friday should be interesting as all the Cubbie fans get to soak up the championship banners, the opening montage, etc...that will be one of the highlights of the weekend.

I feel the same way. I don't think I'd be willing to pay $$ to be around that many Cub fans at once. I can already see their signs "Still a Cubs Town" etc. and their annoying Cubs gear.

I think the main reason I'll be cheering extra hard for the Sox is because of Howry. It's almost inevitable that we'll hear him mouth off even more pathetic nonsense about the Sox organization/fans before the series ends.

batmanZoSo
05-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Destroy them.

sox_fan_forever
05-15-2006, 10:27 AM
I care because Saturday is the first Sox game I'll be able to go to this year and I want them to win...duh. Also, I think right now is an important time for the Sox to get on a roll and win a bunch of games. The fact that it's the Cubs doesn't make it any more exiciting for me. I just like to watch the Sox play.

MillerSoxFan
05-15-2006, 10:42 AM
Every year it gets harder and more expensive to get tickets and it's not worth it anymore. Who cares about the cubs anyway? The games are not going to be entertaining considering how badly the cubs are playing. Watching them play is painful to any fan of the game. Let's get the wins and move on.

rdwj
05-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Every year it gets harder and more expensive to get tickets and it's not worth it anymore. Who cares about the cubs anyway? The games are not going to be entertaining considering how badly the cubs are playing. Watching them play is painful to any fan of the game. Let's get the wins and move on.

I don't know if you've looked, but tickets to this weekend's games are MUCH less expensive than they've been in past years and there are PLENTY available on Ebay and just about everywhere else.

manders_01
05-15-2006, 11:56 AM
I love the Sox-Cubs series (still wish it was called the Windy City Classic). I think part of the fun of having a favorite team is "hating" the rival team.

Plus, in my family, we are pretty split down the middle. So we will always have this rivalry going and it's fun to spar back and forth about it.

BeefyD
05-15-2006, 01:09 PM
I've all but stopped acknowledging Cub fans in general. There is absolutely nothing they can say to upset me. However, if they want to talk pure baseball, I'll talk to them for hours.

Still a Cubs town? Who cares. They can have the town. We've got the trophy.

miker
05-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Wipe the Cubs out! All of them!!!

The Dude
05-15-2006, 01:46 PM

"Oh your sox suck!"

I agree completely. I used to value these series and made sure to go to at least one game at the Urinal and as many as possible at the cell and wayyy overpay to see em. Last year after getting the Ozzie plan and only 1 cubs sox game as compared to the whole series the previous 2 years, i called and complained about to the reps and got a second game. This season I have tickets for all three games with extras as well and only plan on going to the Sunday game when they are supposed to wear the throwbacks. It used to be the World Series of Chicago when both teams couldnt come to a series.

Now that we've won it all, I think the thrill of watching these game has been lost and I could care less.

voodoochile
05-15-2006, 01:52 PM
I really don't care that much anymore either. It use to mean more. But now especially after we won the World Series it doesn't really matter. A 6 game in season sweep would be nice though and that starts with Fridays game.
Rich

I completely agree. It used to mean more and I used to always include a game or two or three everytime I bought a 7 game package. Now, it just doesn't have the oomph it used to. Want to win just because it helps the Sox in the standings, but this rivalry is dead until the flubbies get real about fielding an MLB playoff level quality team.

Erik The Red
05-15-2006, 01:53 PM
I think the Cub fans are the ones who are more likely to get riled up over this series. I mean, this is as close as they're going to get to playoff baseball.

thegooch
05-15-2006, 01:55 PM
I think that this is the first time in a couple of years that i actually care about this series. Hearing Gene Honda introduce the reigning World Series champs in front of the retarded flubbie fans is gonna be priceless. Go sox.

ChetChat
05-15-2006, 02:01 PM
I think the Cub fans are the ones who are more likely to get riled up over this series. I mean, this is as close as they're going to get to playoff baseball.

My sentiments, exactly.

voodoochile
05-15-2006, 02:14 PM

I was going to mention this last night, but it seemed the wrong time and place. The flubbies appear to be mailing it in already. Tough division, few key injuries a manager who has NO clue how to motivate or lead and presto, one dead team in early May.

The point is not to let them use next week as a rally cry. Kick 'em while their down and do it repeatedly then get back to games that truly matter...

The Critic
05-15-2006, 02:26 PM
These games mean no more than any other games to me.
I want the Sox to win, but no more so than any other time.
I want the Cubs to beat the Tiggers, Jndjans and Twinks, though.

ondafarm
05-15-2006, 02:30 PM
Well, honestly, I do care. Even if no one else out here in northern California does.

I run into a lot of Cubs fans, both here and overseas. This series means a lot of pride and there is no reason the Sox shouldn't take two of three in both series against the Cubs.

Deebs14
05-15-2006, 02:30 PM
Beat them into submission! :gulp:

Muopsies
05-15-2006, 02:36 PM
Well, honestly, I do care. Even if no one else out here in northern California does.

I run into a lot of Cubs fans, both here and overseas. This series means a lot of pride and there is no reason the Sox shouldn't take two of three in both series against the Cubs.

no no, one other person in NorCal cares too

JohnBasedowYoda
05-15-2006, 02:36 PM
I care. Just like any series I want them to win. Also I love seeing the Cubs lose.

I'll be going Sat and Sun.

StockdaleForVeep
05-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Ok good commentary so i switch the question to this, do you want the sox to win cuz we need wins or do u want the sox to win only cuz its the cubs

batmanZoSo
05-15-2006, 03:11 PM
Ok good commentary so i switch the question to this, do you want the sox to win cuz we need wins or do u want the sox to win only cuz its the cubs

Both. I want to sweep every series and if not, 2 out of 3. Although I especially want them to beat the cubs so we can continue to rub it in further. If we lose a series to the cubs, it's not going to bother me any more than if we lost one to Texas. This time it's fun and easy...the Sox have nothing to prove at all. If they win it's just gravy. And very good gravy.

ondafarm
05-15-2006, 03:15 PM

We always need the wins, but against the Cubs winning is especially sweet.

I want Mags back
05-15-2006, 03:17 PM
World champs or not, I still hate the cubs, their fans, and the northside, and still want to kick the living **** out of them

Vance Law's Dog
05-15-2006, 03:33 PM
All I know is that if the Sox lose even one game this weekend, it will be like the Cubs won the World Series on the Northside. :mad:

SOX ADDICT '73
05-15-2006, 04:13 PM
The Sox have no prestige to gain by beating the cubs and the cubs have all the prestige to gain if they can take the series from the World Champs. And for those of us who have to associate with cubs fans, we will have to listen to their delusions as to why this makes the cubs better than the Sox if that should happen.
That's why I hate these series with the Cubs. It's a lose-lose situation for the Sox: if they win or even sweep each series, it's because they were supposed to, since the Cubs suck so badly. If they lose one or both series, or (God forbid) get swept themselves, the best record in baseball isn't going to matter - those idiot Flubs fans and the national media will never let us live it down.

comet2k
05-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Didn't the Sox split the six games with the Cubs last year (dropping two at USCF)?

Does anyone remember that as more important than winning the World Series? Heck, we've lost a few games to the Royals this year, and they're worse than the Cubs.

Whether the Sox win or lose against the Cubs, what happens in October matters more.

Doesn't mean I don't care, but if the Sox lose two of three or -- Yikes! -- get swept, who's still going to win more games this year and has a much, much better chance of making the playoffs?

1951Campbell
05-15-2006, 04:52 PM
A lot of people do care here at WSI--the Crosstown games give people a chance to burnish their "not-Flusessed!" credentials by posting loud and long about how it's just another series. :wink:

That being said, it's not as exciting after winning it all. But I'd being lying if I thought it was just as exciting as, say, a mid-April string versus the Royals.

TDog
05-15-2006, 05:03 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I also was thinking the same thing about playing Tamps Bay and, to a lesser degree, about playing the Twinks this year.

It's like one year when I was going to IU, people were excited because the football team beat Purdue. It was the only win, but standards were low enough that just beating Purdue was all the fans needed.

How much emotion can a Sox fan put into a series against the Cubs after sweeping the Astros last October?

ChiSoxLifer
05-15-2006, 05:23 PM

Definite yes!

hawkjt
05-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Sorry,guys, but I still think these games are big. They always are tough games and series, dont kid yourselves.

It will be huge for the cubs if they should take 2 of 3 this weekend. Zambrano and Maddux can pitch good games and beat the sox.

It is almost a dread I feel that if we lose it will be really bad and if we win then it is just a relief.

Bottom line is that last year as our lead dwindled I thought about the 3 we lost to the cubs while the indians were feasting on a bad cinncy team.

But I do wish the violence would just go away. It is really dumb. And defacing Minnie's statue was also stupid.

It can be a thrilling series tho, also,; one of my all time fav games was that hot day in june at soxpark whent the sox rallied from the 8 run deficit against Wood. And who will forget Caruso's homer in the gloaming? Or CLee feasting? Or Jose V. heart tapping? Or Grace getting picked off?

You gotta admit ; there are some great memories created on these weekends. Go Sox.

whitesoxwilkes
05-15-2006, 05:32 PM
I really don't care anymore. We've got our rings and our glory...what more do we need? I've got a certain inner peace and sense of validation now that the Sox have won it all, and no blue-clad buffoon yapping on their cell phone can take that away from me. I'll leave the Cubsessing to the Cubsessed.

Baby Fisk
05-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Do I care about the Cubs? No, they are in a different league and they are also spectacularly pathetic this season. What I do care about is how high people's emotions get stoked over this series. Remember last year, when Minoso's statue was vandalized? That was terrible. It's that kind of **** that puts me in favour of scrapping interleague play. Some people just can't handle this series maturely, take it WAY too personally, and ruin it for others.

chisoxmike
05-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Come on people. While the games may not mean as much anymore as they used to...how can everyone forget the memories. These series do and will provide many memorable moments as long as they are played. Who can forget the comeback from 8-0 in 2002? How about Valenine's walk off in 03, or Lee's Grand Slam walk off in 2001? Or dumb ass Zambrano trying to pick off Timo Perez and then laying a fat one for Crede to knock out in 04?

Yes, we have the bragging rights...but we still have to win these games. Not for the glory, but for the standings. I agree with everyone that says 'I'd rather be sweapt by the Cubs and win a world series.

The problem with these games are the dumb ass fans that attend them that start fights in the seats and the jacked up ticket prices you have to pay if you want to go. There IS too much hype around the 6 games, but they always are exciting. You can always count on no matter how good or bad the teams are...they will usually be good games.

spiffie
05-15-2006, 05:42 PM
Do I care about the Cubs? No, they are in a different league and they are also spectacularly pathetic this season. What I do care about is how high people's emotions get stoked over this series. Remember last year, when Minoso's statue was vandalized? That was terrible. It's that kind of **** that puts me in favour of scrapping interleague play. Some people just can't handle this series maturely, take it WAY too personally, and ruin it for others.
I have no problem with interleague play, but if they wanted to ban beer sales during the Crosstown games I would have no problem with that. The problem isn't the handful of people who are insane about this when they're sober. The problem is the hundreds of people on both sides who suddenly get feeling 20 ft tall with about that many brews in them and begin looking to prove something.

And really, for all the folks who claim not to care, you'd think the Ticket Exchange would be flooded with season ticket holders happy to give away their seats to people so they can avoid dirtying their hands with the rabble at the crosstown games.

RKMeibalane
05-15-2006, 05:43 PM
I like the Cubs games because they bring a playoff-type atmosphere to the stadium in May. All of the players usually say that the intensity is pretty high, and it gives the guys a lift from the doldrums of everyday baseball.

Plus, with the Tigers a half game back, wins are wins.

I agree that the Cubs generate additional excitement, but can we really say that it's a playoff atmosphere? The Cubs are about the furthest thing from a playoff team there is.

JB98
05-15-2006, 05:46 PM
Frankly, I hate the crosstown series. I don't enjoy watching baseball with Cubs fans. I don't enjoy having them in our ballpark. It's just pure annoyance. I'd like to do away with interleague play. I'd rather play more games against traditional American League rivals. The hype surrounding this series is out of control.

manders_01
05-15-2006, 05:55 PM
We always need the wins, but against the Cubs winning is especially sweet.

I second that!

QCIASOXFAN
05-15-2006, 05:55 PM
I agree that the Cubs generate additional excitement, but can we really say that it's a playoff atmosphere? The Cubs are about the furthest thing from a playoff team there is. You took the words right out of my mouth. The Cubs are one of the most awful teams in the league today in every aspect, we know it and they know it. I think if they actually had a halfway decent team it would be somewhat of a different story. Things have definitely changed, we got much better and they got much worse. I am not saying that nobody care about the series anymore but it has lost it luster and there is no denying that.

Baby Fisk
05-15-2006, 06:01 PM
Frankly, I hate the crosstown series. I don't enjoy watching baseball with Cubs fans. I don't enjoy having them in our ballpark. It's just pure annoyance. I'd like to do away with interleague play. I'd rather play more games against traditional American League rivals. The hype surrounding this series is out of control.
Thanks, that's what I'm getting at. These two teams are nowhere close to being equal combatants. In the Cubby view of things -- with little hope for much else this season -- this really is their world series, hence the relentless media hype.

PKalltheway
05-15-2006, 06:06 PM
I'm looking forward to this series this year just like I've looked forward to them in the past. Facing the Cubs is a nice change of pace during the season, as is the rest of interleague play. I like seeing the Sox play a meaningful game against the Twins or Indians, but seeing the Sox play teams like the Twins and Indians 19 times during the year can get monotonous. I always look forward to interleague play in general.

chisoxmike
05-15-2006, 06:12 PM
Comcast SportsNet is doing its best to run this series in ground. At the end of APRIL they started running ads for the Crosstown Showdown...THAT is unnecessary. And there is no need for a 2 hour pre game show that just shows batting practice with taped interviews from the morning.

HomeFish
05-15-2006, 06:27 PM
The worst part is the guys on WSI who make posts that say "those games don't count in the standings", as if it were spring training.

Um, these games do count in the standings. Especially given that when the 3 game series starts, we will be somewhere between 4 games up and 2 games back. You don't need to be "flubsessed" to see that.

itsnotrequired
05-15-2006, 06:37 PM
Comcast SportsNet is doing its best to run this series in ground. At the end of APRIL they started running ads for the Crosstown Showdown...THAT is unnecessary. And there is no need for a 2 hour pre game show that just shows batting practice with taped interviews from the morning.

I have to say that I enjoy the batting practice coverage, especially when they play at Wrigley. I so rarely get to see Sox BP that I'll take it any way I can get it.

As far as all the other nonsense that surrounds the series, I could take or leave it.

voodoochile
05-15-2006, 07:12 PM
The worst part is the guys on WSI who make posts that say "those games don't count in the standings", as if it were spring training.

Um, these games do count in the standings. Especially given that when the 3 game series starts, we will be somewhere between 4 games up and 2 games back. You don't need to be "flubsessed" to see that.

Sure, but they don't matter nearly as much as every game the Sox play against the Tigers or even the Royals or even the DRays from a pure standings perspective.

It's a rivalry in spirit and heart only. Meanwhile games against the Twinkies and Toons have all of that and enhanced playoff meaning too.

kittle42
05-15-2006, 07:16 PM
These series, especially the first three games, at whichever park they are played, bring out the worst in general fandom. You never see more stupidity at a ballpark than you do during the first interleague weekend in Chicago.

I plan to see many, many embarrassing things done and said by Sox fans this weekend, surely adding to the general stereotype that we are all brainless hoodlums.

itsnotrequired
05-15-2006, 07:18 PM
Sure, but they don't matter nearly as much as every game the Sox play against the Tigers or even the Royals or even the DRays from a pure standings perspective.

It's a rivalry in spirit and heart only. Meanwhile games against the Twinkies and Toons have all of that and enhanced playoff meaning too.

I look at it this way: By playing and beating teams in your own division, you are not relying on someone else to do your work for you.

cbotnyse
05-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Does anyone personally know any Cubs' fans feelings on this series?

ws05champs
05-15-2006, 10:35 PM
Does anyone personally know any Cubs' fans feelings on this series?

Talked to 2 today and they are definitely not looking forward to it. They really feel the Cubs are in for a big humiliation.

rwcescato
05-15-2006, 11:13 PM

"Oh your sox suck!"

Why does espn have to put on the yankees and mets every year. How about the Sox and cubs. Its been 7-8 years at least since they had us on.

JB98
05-15-2006, 11:15 PM
Talked to 2 today and they are definitely not looking forward to it. They really feel the Cubs are in for a big humiliation.

I don't know what they're worried about. If we win, so what? It's expected of us. If they win, they get to laugh at us. Really, they have nothing to lose.

JB98
05-15-2006, 11:16 PM
Why does espn have to put on the yankees and mets every year. How about the Sox and cubs. Its been 7-8 years at least since they had us on.

False. We were on Sunday Night Baseball at Wrigley on July 4, 2004. It's a bad memory. Maybe you just repressed it.

spiffie
05-15-2006, 11:36 PM
Just picked up a single for Saturday. There are some left. Get 'em before the Cub fans do.
You must like being annoyed :rolleyes:

JB98
05-15-2006, 11:39 PM
You must like being annoyed :rolleyes:

I try to go to all the Sox weekend games. I sincerely hate the Crosstown Classic, but I support my team and do my best not to let the Cubs fans ruin the day for me. However, I find that very difficult.

HomeFish
05-16-2006, 12:24 AM

I'm not seeing how these games count any less than games against the DRays.

voodoochile
05-16-2006, 05:43 AM
I'm not seeing how these games count any less than games against the DRays.
Always more important to beat AL teams over NL teams. It's a WC thing...

Edit: But, even if you are correct, the rest of the post stands. I was using an extreme example to make a point. Interleague matchups just don't matter as much as league and especially division matchups.

ws05champs
05-16-2006, 05:18 PM
I don't know what they're worried about. If we win, so what? It's expected of us. If they win, they get to laugh at us. Really, they have nothing to lose.

These were 2 Cubs fans and real baseball fans who have invested a life time cheering and hoping for their team. Despite how their team has let them down, their emotional investment will not permit them to jump on the Sox band wagon. Because of what I would liken to an addiction, they are expecting their emotions to take a real beating this weekend. I hate to admit it, but I am beginning to feel some pity for them. When their team is so bad, the banter is not as much fun. Yet I still will be looking forward to seeing them plunge to further depths of depression after we trounce them this weekend

TDog
05-16-2006, 05:37 PM
... I hate to admit it, but I am beginning to feel some pity for them. ...

When the Cubs lose 100 games, I feel bad -- bad that they won 62.

I don't fault diehard Cubs fans for not jumping to the Sox, though. I would hold in contempt people around here who would jump for to the Cubs if they won it all. But I don't think that's ever going to happen.

BRDSR
05-16-2006, 05:45 PM
Now that the Sox are the World Series Champions and the cubs are headed to the bottom, on paper it has less appeal than a Royals game, because at least the Royals are in our division.

Meh...the Royals are in a division all by themselves and it is called the sub-Central Division. I enjoy the games because of the playoff type atmosphere. I used to get kinda chatty with Cubs fans but this series I'll just be wearing my AJ World Series jersey. When I get some chatter from a Cubs fan I'll just smirk, point to the World Series patch, and walk away.

1 Dog
05-16-2006, 11:12 PM
At this point in his career, Maddux, their only reliable starter at the moment, needs more run support. Zambrano is just starting to come around from a poor start. Marshall is inconsistent. After that, the abyss. The Cubs are scoring @two runs a game since Lee went on the DL. Just when I think that they cannot invent a new way to lose, they delight me. In short, they are playing as bad as the Royals.

I see the series as very important in the sense that these are games that the Sox really should win, handily. When someone is that down, you need to pile on and keep kicking. You don't want to be the team that gives them some air. Should I mix some more metaphors?

OK, I admit it. It would be hilarious to see the Sox get Dusty fired.

kitekrazy
05-16-2006, 11:27 PM

I've been quite bored of it 3 years ago since it happens every year.

I consider the Twins, Indians more of a rival.