PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle tipping his pitches?

oeo
05-15-2006, 01:45 AM
From the postgame recap at whitesox.com:

Only one of the seven runs was earned against Buehrle, who allowed 12 hits over six-plus innings, walking two and striking out three. Buehrle has allowed 39 hits over his last 24 2/3 innings, but part of that total could come from the left-hander tipping his pitches out of both the stretch and the windup.

Mike Gellinger, the White Sox computer analyst who assists hitting coach Greg Walker, noticed Buehrle was moving his glove to certain spots, depending on the pitch. From the second inning on, Buehrle kept his glove in the same location.

Looks like we've got Buehrle back on track. :smile:

Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20060514&content_id=1454241&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

Chuckster49
05-15-2006, 02:06 AM
There was a point in that first inning where they were jumping on every first pitch. It didn't matter if it was a curve or fastball, they were on it. I thought then and there that the Twins had somebody getting signals to the batter.

Upon reading the article about Buehrle tipping his pitches it all made sense. I bet the Twins have a little something on Vasquez as well for him to just give up all those runs all of a sudden in the 5th.

hawkjt
05-15-2006, 02:07 AM
That would explain a lot with the way he threw tonite. They were on his first pitch when they got it going.

Ends up being a good outing for Mark- 6 innings+ 1 er, a victory, and he figured something out. Now go and beat the cubs on friday.

Pods came thru again with that big triple. juan was going up the middle nice tonite.

PK got the sac fly, he is doing a good job of that lately.

Now go out and back Freddie tomorrow and we head off to Tampa back on track.

StockdaleForVeep
05-15-2006, 03:42 AM
i wanna say 2-3 years ago mark started off just unbelieveably crappy, but then was unstoppable, he credited it to moving to the end of the pitching rubber and throwing. Im wondering if he needs to do a similar change either mechanical wise or stance wise

Dan Mega
05-15-2006, 07:47 AM
You mean the Twins didn't have a green light in the outfield to signal the pitch to the batter?:wink:

infohawk
05-15-2006, 08:49 AM
There was a point in that first inning where they were jumping on every first pitch. It didn't matter if it was a curve or fastball, they were on it. I thought then and there that the Twins had somebody getting signals to the batter.
Funny you mention that, because I have to admit it at least crossed my mind during the first inning yesterday. I discounted it in large part because Mark had struggled in his previous two starts, but I found it very strange that the Twins, not known for their hitting, were spraying line drives all over the place. They were right on almost everything. Not to mention that the Twins typically have a hard time against lefties. It just didn't make any sense. I also noticed that the Twins are significantly better hitters at home, by almost two runs a game. I suppose that is the effect of the turf.

Pitch-tipping explains it all, though.

woodsdavid
05-15-2006, 10:21 AM
i'm not sure that tipping pitches explains everything -- especially the outings against the tribe and seattle. sox defense was a mess that inning too.
but i'm sure glad buehrle figured it out and that we can score 9 runs in a game after we've given up 7 in the first inning.
triple play was fun to watch too.

SBSoxFan
05-15-2006, 10:21 AM
i wanna say 2-3 years ago mark started off just unbelieveably crappy, but then was unstoppable, he credited it to moving to the end of the pitching rubber and throwing. Im wondering if he needs to do a similar change either mechanical wise or stance wise

Yep. I think he started 2 and 10, and ended the season at 14-14.

batmanZoSo
05-15-2006, 10:25 AM

Upon reading the article about Buehrle tipping his pitches it all made sense. I bet the Twins have a little something on Vasquez as well for him to just give up all those runs all of a sudden in the 5th.

I'm tellin ya! Same thing with Toronto that one game Vazquez was doing fine, then one inning they just hit everything, good pitches in good locations and lacing them into the outfield. Come on, that doesn't happen.