PDA

View Full Version : Baines First Base Coach

gregp65
05-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Maybe this has been posted already, if so I apologize. Why has Baines been coaching first lately and Raines the bench coach? I haven't really heard this being talked about.

SweetnesSox
05-14-2006, 10:41 PM
they want harold to be able to talk to the hitters before they step up to the plate.

I dunno, I like Rock there.

voodoochile
05-14-2006, 10:42 PM
Maybe this has been posted already, if so I apologize. Why has Baines been coaching first lately and Raines the bench coach? I haven't really heard this being talked about.

They made the switch during Spring Training. I know Raines wants to be a manager some day, so maybe it is a give to him or maybe it helps him get a better perspective on the pitchers move and he is able to give better advice even if it takes him an inning to give it.

Maybe Ozzie needed more input or maybe Harold got tired of sitting on the bench and listening to Ozzie jabber...:tongue:

TaylorStSox
05-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Harold's better for a good conversation.

voodoochile
05-14-2006, 10:44 PM
they want harold to be able to talk to the hitters before they step up to the plate.

I dunno, I like Rock there.

Really? Wow... you mean there is actually a practical reason? I guess you gain more with a 1B coach who can analyze a motion and a repetoire because every player can benefit from the advice as opposed to the few guys who are actually base stealing threats.

Interesting...

TheOldRoman
05-14-2006, 10:57 PM
Really? Wow... you mean there is actually a practical reason? I guess you gain more with a 1B coach who can analyze a motion and a repetoire because every player can benefit from the advice as opposed to the few guys who are actually base stealing threats.

Interesting...
I hadn't heard the reason he listed above. I wouldn't think Baines could communicate much with hitters from the first base box.

Ozzie said the switch was done so Rock could talk with the hitters while they were on the bench, and go over what he picked up from the particular pitcher. It makes sense, because last year he would only get to talk to basestealers for a few seconds while they were on firstbase. They were on the field whenever Rock was in the dugout. Rock was very good as a first base coach last year (he always knew when the pitcher was about to make a move to first), but he didn't get much of a chance to go over the pitcher with the hitters.

Also, Baines was supposedly tired of the bench coach job, and wanted to be in the middle of the action. I think this was a good move.

SweetnesSox
05-14-2006, 11:25 PM

Interesting...

lol yup. I forget who was talkin about it. But I assume they meant that Baines could pick up on things from the pitcher better from 1st base and could relay the hitter signs or chat a little.