PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Sox Win Postgame Thread

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-14-2006, 10:10 PM
Yeah Baby!! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

gobears1987
05-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Wow, kudos to Buehrle for staying in there.

Nice triple play. First one on Sunday Night Baseball since Fucal's 666 triple play.

MrRoboto83
05-14-2006, 10:11 PM
I Luvvvvvvvv when the Sox win Ugly games.

Brian26
05-14-2006, 10:12 PM
Best record in baseball and still in first place.

Chips
05-14-2006, 10:12 PM
:winner

cheeses_h_rice
05-14-2006, 10:13 PM
Didn't get to watch this one due to Mother's Day + the Survivor finale, but when I heard the Twins put a 7-spot up in the first inning, I was incredibly disgusted, so glad to hear the Sox actually fought back and won a much needed one thanks to the threat of the Tigers.

ShoelessJoeS
Avoiding complete disaster made this a fun game to watch. The triple play was amazing, our 3-4-5 hitters clobbered the ball tonight, Pods led off well, and props to OOribe and Anderson for getting a couple hits apiece.

Oh yea, Dale Scott has to be one of the worst umps in baseball at calling balls and strikes.

itsnotrequired

I love it!

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

rpac44
not a pretty win, but i'll take it, another bright spot was uribe's 3 hits and BA's 2, its nice to see the bottom of the order getting it going

chaotic8512
Big Bad Bobby with the HAMMER to end it! I love it! It was so good to see the Sox fight back after the 7 run first, good effort all around.

Let's go Freddy and get that split! :bandance:

Not... banana... split... but series split... yeah. :gulp:

NDSox12
05-14-2006, 10:14 PM
What a game!

3 run bomb by Dye in the first... 7 run inning for the Twins (only one earned)... 5 runs for the Sox in the 4th... Uribe makes a great play avoiding a flying bat... A TRIPLE PLAY!... Jenks strikes out the side in the 9th. Those were just a few of the highlights in this one.

Crazy, but I'll take it!

eurotrash35
winner tomorrow and we erase 4 at the humpty dome with the twins having nothing to show for it :cool:

whitesoxfan
what a huge win tonight was. Great to see that we didn't give up after that 7 spot the Twinkies put on us in the 1st. Hopefully this gives us some momentum and we can salvage a split with the Twinkies tomorrow afternoon :smile:

SoxSpeed22
Interesting little factoid from ESPN:
Buehrle is the first pitcher since 1900 to win the game after giving up 7 runs in the 1st.
Buehrle didn't have his best stuff, but neither did Silva. :redneck
Ugliest way to end a losing streak that I could think of, but it's still a win.:bandance:

Brian26
05-14-2006, 10:15 PM
not a pretty win

There were a lot of pretty things about this win.

voodoochile
05-14-2006, 10:15 PM
Heck of a comeback. I never really was nervous even after they gave up the 7 spot. I figured if the defense had to be that bad for the Twins to score, the Sox would limit damage from then on out and they seemed to be having no problem with the Twinkie pitchers.

Great focus and another great team win.

:twinslose:

:supernana:

SoxSpeed22
05-14-2006, 10:17 PM
VC, don't forget
:indianslose

Sooner or later, we might have to make a "Tigers lose" one.:o:

cbotnyse

what more could you ask for?

infohawk
I have to admit that I didn't think I'd be posting in a victory thread after the first inning. I was pretty upset, although not panicked by any means about a little skid in May. All that said, wow, just wow. I really have to give Mark his props for holding them at seven, saving the bullpen and getting the win to boot. I didn't think there was any way possible that the Twins wouldn't score more runs off of Mark. Maybe the Buerhle from the second inning on has finally turned it around. Mark's gone through these little funks before in at least two previous seasons. He always comes out of it. Hopefully tonight he began the process.

Also, big props to the offense!!!

Kogs35
great come back win!!!!!!! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: and nice triple play

voodoochile
05-14-2006, 10:18 PM
Anyone else catch that stat? BurlyMon the first pitcher since 1900 to win a game he gives up 7 runs in the first inning. Well, that is as it read on my captions, sometimes they screw up the numbers, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

And a triple play too boot, first in the majors in over a year.

Oh and one other thing...

:moonwalk:

Brian26
Buehrle didn't have his best stuff, but neither did Silva.

Don't be misled by the score, though. Buehrle had pretty damn good stuff between the 2nd and 7th. I was listening to Farmer downstairs...either five or six of the Twins' seven runs were unearned based on that first inning. If Buehrle doesn't throw that ball away in the first, the Sox may have won 9-1.

D. TODD
Very strange game! Always great to get the "W" though. :gulp: Dale Scott sure has had a busy last couple of days. If we can get a win tomorrow this series will remind me of how we use to take the first two from the Twinks only to lose the last two of a four game set and have nothing to show for it when we were chasing them.

rookie
05-14-2006, 10:19 PM
Call me crazy, but I think that the guys were a little mad at themselves for not having Mark's back during that first inning. So they decided to do something about it. And yea Mark for getting it back together.

How many pitchers let up 7 runs in the 1st inning and get the win? Not many! Way to stay focused Mark! Good win, would have really hurt to lose tonight and makeit 4 in a row. Lets get a split and then split town to other crappy dome!

D. TODD
VC, don't forget
:indianslose

Sooner or later, we might have to make a "Tigers lose" one.:o:But they lost to the Tigers who are right on our asses.

EdHerman12
05-14-2006, 10:20 PM
:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: <-----for the triple play!

:supernana: <--------for :burly becoming the first pitcher since 1900 to give up 7 runs in the 1st inning and still win!

AND!:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:<---------FOR A HELL OF AN EFFORT BY THE BOYS TONIGHT

infohawk
Twin fans must be extremely frustrated right now. They probably figured they would not only win, but perhaps score double digits. Ouch!!!

JUribe1989
7 runs given up in the first, a triple play, Gardenhire tossed in a similar instance as Ozzie, Bobby gets a 1.1 IP save, AJ goes deep, and our 1-7 hitters are all hitting .300 with the exception of Pods (.280) WHAT A GAME

WHAT A TEAM

Mark = stopper? 7 runs :D:

voodoochile
Don't be misled by the score, though. Buehrle had pretty damn good stuff between the 2nd and 7th. I was listening to Farmer downstairs...either five or six of the Twins' seven runs were unearned based on that first inning. If Buehrle doesn't throw that ball away in the first, the Sox may have won 9-1.

Heck, he looked fine in the first. If the ghost of Manos doesn't inhabit his body and cause him to throw that sidearm screwgie into centerfield in the first, there are two outs and no one on and the Sox probably win 9-0.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:D:

SoxSpeed22
But they lost to the Tigers who are right on our asses.well this is true.

MrRoboto83
Heck of a comeback. I never really was nervous even after they gave up the 7 spot. I figured if the defense had to be that bad for the Twins to score, the Sox would limit damage from then on out and they seemed to be having no problem with the Twinkie pitchers.

:twinslose:

:supernana:

and Cubs lose, SOUTHSIDE Trifecta? or does the Tigers have to lose for that?

Brian26
05-14-2006, 10:21 PM
Maybe the Buerhle from the second inning on has finally turned it around. Mark's gone through these little funks before in at least two previous seasons. He always comes out of it. Hopefully tonight he began the process.

This game is actually somewhat reminiscent of the ALDS Game 2 last year against the Red Sox. Buehrle got roughed up early for four runs then settled down and kept Boston scoreless until Iguchi blew it open with the homer off Wells.

Brian26
05-14-2006, 10:23 PM
Heck, he looked fine in the first. If the ghost of Manos doesn't inhabit his body and cause him to throw that sidearm screwgie into centerfield in the first, there are two outs and no one on and the Sox probably win 9-0.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:D:

I just love the reference to the "ghost of Manos." :D:

slobes
05-14-2006, 10:23 PM
I know it's only May, but I felt that was a pretty big win. We're not based solely on starting pitching (not to say that Mark didn't do a great job after the first inning). Glad to see Bobby get the save.

HomeFish
05-14-2006, 10:24 PM
What a strange game.

voodoochile
05-14-2006, 10:26 PM

Mark is so good about coming over the top to second too and he had plenty of time. I have NO idea what he was thinking to drop down sidearm like that. It would be on thing if he occasionally pitched sidearm, but he doesn't.

It was so reminiscent of the replays they would show of Jose dropping down and rifling the ball into never never land after making a good pick at SS.

Just like Manos and his 3-run jack which invariably seemed to follow his miscues, BurlyMon settled down and gave the team a fighting chance. Heck of a performance and honestly, if not for the whole 7-run inning thing, he deserves at least an honorable mention for PTC.

TaylorStSox
05-14-2006, 10:27 PM
This was about as big a win as you'll see in May. The guys really showed some moxy tonight. :gulp:

TaylorStSox
05-14-2006, 10:28 PM
I have NO idea what he was thinking to drop down sidearm like that. It would be on thing if he occasionally pitched sidearm, but he doesn't.

It looked to me like he fell off the mound a little bit and may have lost his balance.

TornLabrum
05-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Avoiding complete disaster made this a fun game to watch. The triple play was amazing, our 3-4-5 hitters clobbered the ball tonight, Pods led off well, and props to OOribe and Anderson for getting a couple hits apiece.

Oh yea, Dale Scott has to be one of the worst umps in baseball at calling balls and strikes.

So MLB rewards him by making him crew chief.

TheDarkGundam
05-14-2006, 10:29 PM
Interesting little factoid from ESPN:
Buehrle is the first pitcher since 1900 to win the game after giving up 7 runs in the 1st.
Buehrle didn't have his best stuff, but neither did Silva. :redneck
Ugliest way to end a losing streak that I could think of, but it's still a win.:bandance: Yeah, that stat is nuts.
Kudos to Buehrle. :thumbsup:

No, I'm not just posting so I can get to 1000...

Optipessimism
05-14-2006, 10:31 PM
An ugly win but a win nonetheless. It's great to see the Sox offense pick it up for Mark and the D. Let's split this thing with them tomorrow.

Brian26
05-14-2006, 10:31 PM
So MLB rewards him by making him crew chief.

At least he consistently blows calls for both teams.

voodoochile
05-14-2006, 10:32 PM
:burly
"I'm old school to the core... 99 minute game? check. 7 runs in the first and still get the win? check."

FanofBill
05-14-2006, 10:33 PM
AJ goes deep, and our 1-7 hitters are all hitting .300 with the exception of Pods (.280) WHAT A GAME

WHAT A TEAM

Mark = stopper? 7 runs :D:

That ended tonight, Dye is hitting below .300 when he came up the for the last time tonight. I remembered they showed .297 when he was coming up, it should be lower now since he made an out after that.

1951Campbell
05-14-2006, 10:35 PM
This team is

Ree

Zill

Yent.

The triple play and the 100-year stuff with MB is just icing on the cake.

I bet the Sox win tomorow!

Hitmen77
05-14-2006, 10:35 PM
How many pitchers let up 7 runs in the 1st inning and get the win? Not many! Way to stay focused Mark! Good win, would have really hurt to lose tonight and makeit 4 in a row. Lets get a split and then split town to other crappy dome!

According to ESPN, it hasn't happened in 106 years!

chisoxfanatic
05-14-2006, 10:36 PM

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!! :D:

Slugfests are fun...when you're on the good end of it!

Buehrle has a lot of character for tuffing it out and not giving up any more runs after the 1st!

Way to go, Sox!

PicktoCLick72
05-14-2006, 10:37 PM
Not pretty but I'll take it.

voodoochile
05-14-2006, 10:40 PM
This team is

Ree

Zill

Yent.

The triple play and the 100-year stuff with MB is just icing on the cake.

I bet the Sox win tomorow!

Freddy in a dome...

On the road...

During the day...

Yeah, Sox should have a fighting chance...:)

Kuzman
05-14-2006, 10:43 PM
My girlfriend and I listened to the entire game. After the 1st inning she was so mad she to the point of demands were being thrown my way to turn off the game. I usually would have but there is just something about this team where you knew they were gonna fight their way back. Pretty good stuff

South Side
05-14-2006, 10:44 PM

Doesn't it seem like years and years ago since he played for us instead of 2? Wow... how things have changed. Where is he anyway??

AntiSox
05-14-2006, 10:47 PM
and props to OOribe and Anderson for getting a couple hits apiece.

This was an interesting call tonight because Dale Scott was involved in the ejection. It was not clear to me who the plate umpire was but Ron Kulpa was somewhere else. I say it was interesting because the call went in favor of the Sox. After last night's game I would have expected otherwise. Perhaps a make-up call after last night's obvious mistake? Either way you have to like Buehrle's pick move and give credit to WSIA for calling it with the baseball card of the week.

TheOldRoman
05-14-2006, 10:48 PM

Yep. It helped a lot that the Sox picked up 3 runs in the first. The Sox were never down by 7, they were only down by 4. I was pissed that they gave up 7 in the first, but I never thought that the game was over.
It was great to see Buehrle settle down. Most importantly, Bobby came on with a runner on base and got out of the inning. He hadn't done that in a while. He also got out of the ninth unscathed after giving up a double. Cotts did his job, and Politte was nasty against the first batter he faced.
Let's earn the split tomorrow.

vegyrex
05-14-2006, 10:50 PM
Way to go Sox!!!!

I looked like this after that first inning--> :whiner:

Thank goodness I ended up looking like this after the game --> :bandance:

I missed that triple play. I got up to make popcorn! :D:

MadetoOrta
05-14-2006, 10:51 PM
I hate the Twinkie Dome. A split would be awesome. I pray the Minne. legislature does the right thing and helps the Twinkies build a new stadium. I'm growing really tired of the baggies.

voodoochile
05-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Way to go Sox!!!!

I looked like this after that first inning--> :whiner:

Thank goodness I ended up looking like this after the game --> :bandance:

I missed that triple play. I got up to make popcorn! :D:

Hopefully you're not the superstitious type or you are going to be eating a LOT of popcorn this year...

last three innings, Sox up by only a couple and the first two men reach base... it's time for popcorn...:tongue:

oeo
05-14-2006, 10:58 PM
Not pretty but I'll take it.

No, the FIRST INNING wasn't pretty, everything else was beautiful...

flo-B-flo
05-14-2006, 10:58 PM
What a game!

3 run bomb by Dye in the first... 7 run inning for the Twins (only one earned)... 5 runs for the Sox in the 4th... Uribe makes a great play avoiding a flying bat... A TRIPLE PLAY!... Jenks strikes out the side......... WHEWWW!! what a ****in game. This is a formidable team. There will be more action like this. Get ready.

santo=dorf
05-14-2006, 11:00 PM
Freddy in a dome...

On the road...

During the day...

Yeah, Sox should have a fighting chance...:)
http://www.driko.org/smallpics/caddy108.jpg
"The amazing stuff about the Twins' turf, is that you can play 9 innings on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on the stuff."

TheOldRoman
05-14-2006, 11:02 PM
I hate the Twinkie Dome. A split would be awesome. I pray the Minne. legislature does the right thing and helps the Twinkies build a new stadium. I'm growing really tired of the baggies.
Tell me about it. That place is horrible for football, which it was intended for. It is absolutely ridiculous as a baseball stadium. I will throw a party the day the Sox play their last game ever in that dump. As for the legislature doing the "right thing", we shouldn't get into that arguement. Some on this board, SSHM in particular, will argue that it is the wrong thing to do. However, the Twins desperately need a new stadium, and that can't be argued. I would much prefer that piece of garbage Pohlad pony up to build one, but as long as it gets built, and soon, I don't care who pops.

Frankfan4life
05-14-2006, 11:21 PM
Winning is so sweet. No matter how it's done. This was a game the Sox had to win. I'm still really worried about the pitching and to some extent the defense. I'm hoping this starts an eight-game winning streak, at least.

SweetnesSox
05-14-2006, 11:23 PM

isn't this like a "duh?" statement? :?:

thomas35forever
05-14-2006, 11:30 PM
Maybe the ugliest victory of the season so far, but we'll take it! Let's hope Buehrle's done performing badly for now.

Lip Man 1
05-14-2006, 11:54 PM
I don't know what to say about tonight.

It was sweet they came back but damn seven runs in the friggin' first inning? SIX unearned??? ***?????

37 runs allowed in the last four games? (at least it's going down...12, 10, 8, 7...LOL)

These guys are in a little bit of a funk and I think Ozzie needs to have a 'few' words with the guys.

Triple Play was nice though...:smile:

Lip

oeo
05-15-2006, 12:01 AM
I don't know what to say about tonight.

It was sweet they came back but damn seven runs in the friggin' first inning? SIX unearned??? ***?????

37 runs allowed in the last four games? (at least it's going down...12, 10, 8, 7...LOL)

These guys are in a little bit of a funk and I think Ozzie needs to have a 'few' words with the guys.

Triple Play was nice though...:smile:

Lip

0 runs in the last 8 innings of the game, though. You can't really complain there. Cliff didn't look too bad, Cotts was alright, and Bobby- as long as that curve is working, I think he's unstoppable.

SABRSox
05-15-2006, 12:47 AM
Sooner or later, we might have to make a "Tigers lose" one.:o:

For when that day comes:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4365&d=1147671917

monkeypants
05-15-2006, 01:08 AM
Every day I see Thome play, the more I love him. Did you see him motoring down the line and almost beat out a slow grounder to second? He's everything that's right about baseball.

Joosh
05-15-2006, 01:34 AM
One of the funniest Palehose Six cartoons was posted tonight about this game. If you havent seen it, check it out. It's hilarious!

Nellie_Fox
05-15-2006, 01:35 AM
...as long as it gets built, and soon, I don't care who pops.As a Minnesota taxpayer, I will issue you an invitation to get out your checkbook to help increase the value of Mr. Polad's investment.

TheOldRoman
05-15-2006, 01:41 AM
As a Minnesota taxpayer, I will issue you an invitation to get out your checkbook to help increase the value of Mr. Polad's investment. As I said, I want Pohlad to pay for it. However, I don't care who pays for it as long as I only have to see the Sox play a couple dozen more games in that hell hole.

SoxFanPrope
05-15-2006, 02:47 AM
I don't care how ugly it was, it is hard not to celebrate after a win like this!!

I was discouraged after the 1st inning but still hopeful with our offense against Silva, glad to see we delivered. Also, I know he had only one error but still, I do not see Uribe having another game in the field like this.

IlliniSox4Life
05-15-2006, 03:47 AM
This is why I love White Sox baseball. Even when you're out of it, you're not out of it.

Buhrle actually lowered his ERA because only 1 run was earned. Also got the W. Not too bad for a team giving up 7 runs in the first.

Also, I love that Thome has homered in 15 different games - nothing wrong with multi homer games, but I'd rather spread the love out a little bit. It shows that he is consistently helping the team win, and not just piling it on in a couple of games. There's only a few other players in MLB with 10+ homers who haven't had a multi homer game.

The Racehorse
05-15-2006, 03:51 AM
Other than watching the Sox come back with a win, I'm thrilled that Juan has his average out of the buck-and-some change category... going 3 for 4 sure helps.

StockdaleForVeep
05-15-2006, 03:54 AM
Maybe the ugliest victory of the season so far, but we'll take it! Let's hope Buehrle's done performing badly for now.

Indeed, hopefully this is the last time we see 7 runs on buehrle, earned or not

StockdaleForVeep
05-15-2006, 03:56 AM
Other than watching the Sox come back with a win, I'm thrilled that Juan has his average out of the buck-and-some change category... going 3 for 4 sure helps.

Am i the only one who dispises uribe's swing? I swear, every swing u see him take u can tell will either be a HR or a miss. The aggressive way he swings im amazed he even makes contact for regular basehits. I know he has come thru clutch many times but he seems like possibly the worst "Contact" hitter i have ever seen in my life. He's Manos but with a better glove i would say

Grzegorz
05-15-2006, 04:54 AM
There were a lot of pretty things about this win.

And many ugly aspects too.

I'd like to see this staff get straightened out; Buerhle, Vasquez, and especially Garland.

The errors were unsettling, but this will happen from time to time; lets hope this is an abberation.

It's nice to see this team slug its way out of trouble from time to time. Lets not make having to out slug the other team a requirement.

But, a win is a win. This one has to take some of the starch out of the Twins who just are not as good a team as years past.

Go get 'em Freddie!

wassagstdu
05-15-2006, 06:43 AM
Doesn't it seem like years and years ago since he played for us instead of 2? Wow... how things have changed. Where is he anyway??
Playing outfield (left and right, I think) off the bench for the Mets and hitting the cover off the ball for the last couple of games. Making decent plays too.

wassagstdu
05-15-2006, 06:49 AM
I confess, I tuned off the game after Pods hit into a DP in the second. The left side of my brain knew that Buehrle was making decent pitches in the first inning that were getting hit for line drives and that it will be a long time before the Sox give anyone 7 outs in an inning again. But Buerle really showed me something and so did this team! I will never lose faith again...

Minnie Me
05-15-2006, 07:34 AM
As a Minnesota taxpayer, I will issue you an invitation to get out your checkbook to help increase the value of Mr. Polad's investment.

Get over it and get rid of the Hump H. Dome.

mccoydp
05-15-2006, 07:50 AM
Surprising error by Buehrle, and bad 1st inning to boot, but he settled in nicely and pitched well after the 1st. I can't remember the last time I saw Mark commit an error.

The Sox did a great job of propping Mark up with run support and snaring another "W" for him and the team.

A bit of a nail biter (at least for me) at the end, but a win is a win. Here's hoping for a series split with Freddy "The Road Warrior" Garcia on the mound today. I like the Sox's chances.

Oh yeah, this:

soxinthecity
05-15-2006, 07:51 AM
I listened to the first few innings while in the car and thought it was just going be one of those high scoring games whether we win or lose to just get it over with.

But luckily I got to watch the last few innings including the triple play :bandance: and how great is it to have Thome hustling to beat out those grounders to the infield, talk about a pickup to the team and a pickup for the team.

palehozenychicty
05-15-2006, 08:47 AM
A peculiar game, as the Twinkie dome is brutal for baseball. Thome's still raking, Uribe/Anderson getting on base, and Jenks closing. I'm down with it. The triple play was weird, burls 7-run first weirder. as wimpy used to say, "we take tha one."

:bandance:

Law11
05-15-2006, 08:56 AM
A peculiar game, as the Twinkie dome is brutal for baseball. Thome's still raking, Uribe/Anderson getting on base, and Jenks closing. I'm down with it. The triple play was weird, burls 7-run first weirder. as wimpy used to say, "we take tha one."

wimpy got it from Aurelio Rodriguez...
we take dat one...

Chip Z'nuff
05-15-2006, 09:21 AM
closing. I'm down with it. The triple play was weird, burls 7-run first weirder. as wimpy used to say, "we take tha one."

Or as wimpy used to say "They fell right onto our trap!"

TomBradley72
05-15-2006, 11:36 AM
One thing I liked about last night was that this team seems to have the "heart of a champion"....they knew the Tigers had won during the day...if they lost...they drop out of 1st....they take a 7 run "punch" in the 1st inning...and fight back...and just when we need it the most Buehrle turns the corner and the bullpen turns in 3 shutout innings.

The Humpdome is always a chamber of horrors for us...if we can get a W today and come away with a split...I'll be happy.