PDA

View Full Version : Jon Miller

Milw
05-14-2006, 08:36 PM
Why is he apparently incapable of correctly pronouncing Juan Uribe's name?

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-14-2006, 08:37 PM
isnt is actually pronounced "OO-ribe"?

doogiec
05-14-2006, 08:37 PM
That's the way Uribe pronouces the name himself.

ShoelessJoeS
05-14-2006, 08:41 PM
isnt is actually pronounced "OO-ribe"?Yes, "oooo" is the Spanish pronunciation of the letter U. It just sounds funny when Jon Miller says it because the R in Uribe should actually sound like a D.

SoxFan76
05-14-2006, 08:58 PM
The Spanish pronunciation should be "OO-ree-bay". Jon Miller is the ONLY one who says it right.

Saracen
05-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Why is there a thread about this every time the Sox are on ESPN?

QCIASOXFAN
05-14-2006, 09:07 PM
Why is there a thread about this every time the Sox are on ESPN? Because it is annoying!!!

chaerulez
05-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Because it is annoying!!!

So because Miller pronounces Uribe's name the correct way, it's annoying?

rpac44
05-14-2006, 09:16 PM
So because Miller pronounces Uribe's name the correct way, it's annoying?yeah i dont get it either, i respect miller for not taking the easy road and pronouncing it like everyone else does (aka incorrectly)

gobears1987
05-14-2006, 09:17 PM
Because it is annoying!!!It isn't annoying, it's correct. Uribe is probably glad that one announcer did his homework.

sullythered
05-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Does he pronounce Ozzie's last name the Venezuelan way. I heard Ozzie say it was actually pronounced gee-SZHEN. If not, then he should just pronounce Uribe like everybody else. Unless he pulls an Alex Trebek (sp?) with everybody, he shouldn't pull it with anybody.

South Side
05-14-2006, 09:29 PM
It's annoying bc Jon Miller doesn't sound like a native Dominican!!

sullythered
05-14-2006, 09:32 PM

Exactly! And if he doesn't say "gone-SO-lays," or "lroad-LREE-gays" then he shouldn't say "ooh-REE-bay."

chaerulez
05-14-2006, 09:35 PM
Does he pronounce Ozzie's last name the Venezuelan way. I heard Ozzie say it was actually pronounced gee-SZHEN. If not, then he should just pronounce Uribe like everybody else. Unless he pulls an Alex Trebek (sp?) with everybody, he shouldn't pull it with anybody.

Maybe Miller isn't aware of this pronouncian of Ozzie's last name. Who cares? At least Miller is changing his pronouncian to a correct one, not changing it to something that is wrong. If he feels like doing that, I don't have a problem with it.

FarWestChicago
05-14-2006, 09:39 PM
There is no reason to incorrectly pronounce Uribe's name if you know the correct pronunciation. Only a complete goofball would argue the name should be mispronounced.

sullythered
05-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Maybe Miller isn't aware of this pronouncian of Ozzie's last name. Who cares? At least Miller is changing his pronouncian to a correct one, not changing it to something that is wrong. If he feels like doing that, I don't have a problem with it.

I get what you're saying, but in my opinion, if a guy doesn't make the effort to pronounce EVERY non-American born players names correctly, it sounds stupid and grating when he does it with one. Particularly when it's a player that nobody else pronounces right. Also, I hate Jon Miller and the whole ESPN crew, so my level of tolerance may be skewed a touch.
:wink:

Edit: Also, Miller just called him "OH-ree-bay." So he's still an idiot.

South Side
05-14-2006, 09:57 PM
I'm not saying he shouldn't correctly pronounce it but that is like nails on a chalkboard. How you can deny that I don't know.

Corlose 15
05-14-2006, 10:16 PM
Gee-szhen is a south american pronunciation of Guillen, he could still pronounce it Gee-yen and be correct. I'm pretty sure that Miller makes it a point to pronounce all the latin names correctly so I'm not sure why you guys are bitching. Also Ooo-ribay sounds a hell of a lot better than when someone says Vas-kwez. I want to put a pitchfork in my head when people say that.

ChiSox14305635
05-14-2006, 10:21 PM
Doesn't Miller speak Spanish as well? He probably knows how the names are supposed to be pronounced.

rookie
05-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Gee-szhen is a south american pronunciation of Guillen, he could still pronounce it Gee-yen and be correct. I'm pretty sure that Miller makes it a point to pronounce all the latin names correctly so I'm not sure why you guys are bitching. Also Ooo-ribay sounds a hell of a lot better than when someone says Vas-kwez. I want to put a pitchfork in my head when people say that.

My Puerto Rican friend got on my case when I pronounced his name like that. So after a 5-minute lesson I now can say it correctly. I don't see how complaining about this is any different than complaining when people mispronounce Thome's name incorrectly. So called "American" names aren't that easy either. Think of some other guys on our team. The only easy names to pronounce are the old, old names like Smith, Jones, Jackson, Washington, etc.

D. TODD
05-14-2006, 10:27 PM
Doesn't Miller speak Spanish as well? He probably knows how the names are supposed to be pronounced.

He does and he tries to pronounce all latin names correctly not just Juan's.

TaylorStSox
05-14-2006, 10:34 PM

He speaks fluent spanish.

TornLabrum
05-14-2006, 10:34 PM
The Spanish pronunciation should be "OO-ree-bay". Jon Miller is the ONLY one who says it right.

Ozzie says it right, too.

Corlose 15
05-14-2006, 10:35 PM
My Puerto Rican friend got on my case when I pronounced his name like that. So after a 5-minute lesson I now can say it correctly. I don't see how complaining about this is any different than complaining when people mispronounce Thome's name incorrectly. So called "American" names aren't that easy either. Think of some other guys on our team. The only easy names to pronounce are the old, old names like Smith, Jones, Jackson, Washington, etc.

He made you say it like Gee-szhen? You should have just told him you were using the european dialect. :tongue: Next time ask him if he slurs his S's like they do in Spain. :redneck

TornLabrum
05-14-2006, 10:36 PM
There is no reason to incorrectly pronounce Uribe's name if you know the correct pronunciation. Only a complete goofball would argue the name should be mispronounced.

Welcome to the wacky world of WSI!

Scotty PoPo
05-14-2006, 10:44 PM

took the words right out of my mouth!

rookie
05-14-2006, 10:49 PM
He made you say it like Gee-szhen? You should have just told him you were using the european dialect. :tongue: Next time ask him if he slurs his S's like they do in Spain. :redneck

No she got on my case about Vasquez - who is Puerto Rican (as well as Cintron I believe). Come to think about it, I've never asked her about Guillen's name.

I also can't claim to use the european dialect, since my ancestry is not european (well, I'm sure some of it is, but that's a chapter in not-so-good American history).

I can barely say the names of my students, and DJ had me thinking that Thome is pronounced Tho-may for a while. So I take any pronounciation advice I can use.:D:

shbart
05-14-2006, 10:51 PM
How about Joe Morgan dropping the first D in Podsednik?... now that's annoying!

Corlose 15
05-14-2006, 10:56 PM
How about Joe Morgan dropping the first D in Podsednik?... now that's annoying!

I belive thats the correct pronunciation as well. The first D is silent.

Corlose 15
05-14-2006, 10:56 PM
No she got on my case about Vasquez - who is Puerto Rican (as well as Cintron I believe). Come to think about it, I've never asked her about Guillen's name.

I also can't claim to use the european dialect, since my ancestry is not european (well, I'm sure some of it is, but that's a chapter in not-so-good American history).

I can barely say the names of my students, and DJ had me thinking that Thome is pronounced Tho-may for a while. So I take any pronounciation advice I can use.:D:

Oh alright, more power to her then!:redneck

MikeLove
05-14-2006, 10:58 PM
as far as pure Spanish pronounciation

ooo-rhee-bay

and gui-yen

are fine. im not good with accent marks though so i dunno whats stressed.

i dont know anything about those goofy south american accents you guys are talking about, my spanish teacher 2 semesters ago was from venezuela and i dont recall any of that

Soxfanspcu11
05-14-2006, 11:04 PM
I don't have a problem with how he pronounces Uribe's name, whether it's correct or not.

What I DO have a problem with is how utterly annoying that man is. He may know his baseball and his Spanish (apparently), but he is still a couple douchebag when it comes to broadcasting a game.

His only redeeming quality is the fact that he has a good voice for a broadcaster. If it wasn't for the fact that he was beyond annoying, he would actually be enjoyable to listen to.

And while I am at it, I must mention how stupid Joe Morgan is.......

A few days ago when the Boston/New York series was going on and ESPN was broadcasting it(as usual:rolleyes: ), Miller and Morgan began talking about what the difference was between Giambi and Bonds.

Morgan basically asked Miller what the difference was between Bonds and Giambi. Morgan could not understand why fans hate Bonds so much, but yet they get behind Giambi. Morgan went on like a 5 minute rant about how unfair it was that fans still support Giambi but do not support Bonds.

I nearly smashed my TV when he was talking, I was INCREDIBLY pissed!!!! He just "couldn't find a reason" why this was happening.

So I'm screaming at my TV, "GEE, I DON'T KNOW!, YOU PIECE OF ****!!!!" MAYBE it has something to do with the fact that Giambi ADMITTED to taking steroids and apologized for it. He acted like a man and accepted blame for his actions. Meanwhile, that piece of human trash Bonds, continues to deny it when the facts are starring him in the ****ing face!!!! He continues to act like he did nothing wrong and it's all just a big coincidence that his head swelled 5 head sizes in 2 years.

How could someone that is supposed to be a baseball "expert" not see this glaring difference?!?!?!:?:

Whatever, my rant is over, ESPN sucks, bottom line.

RadioheadRocks
05-14-2006, 11:07 PM

I remember this came up during Ozzie's rookie season when a broadcaster asked him about the correct pronunciation.

Ozzie's response? "Just call me Ozzie." :D:

Gavin
05-14-2006, 11:12 PM

Even if I know Los Angeles is Spanish I'm still going to pronounce it "Las An-gell-ess" instead of "Los An-hell-es". To me at least, I'm also going to say You-ree-bay instead of Ooo-ree-bay simply because breaking my dialect sounds overzealous and preachy. I don't think it's an uncommon behavior to absorb names derived from other languages into one's own language.

D. TODD
05-14-2006, 11:12 PM
I remember this came up during Ozzie's rookie season when a broadcaster asked him about the correct pronunciation.

Ozzie's response? "Just call me Ozzie." :D: I also recall an announcer referring to Ozzie early in his career saying Manny Sanguillen's names with a pronounced Gee shen and that surprising the announcer.

SectionBNole
05-14-2006, 11:15 PM
Miller says: Tada Iguchi

knocko94
05-14-2006, 11:17 PM
Miller is simply a little overzeolous with his pronunciation, and is extremely grating.

Also, how about that Tada Iguchi?:rolleyes:

knocko94
05-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Miller says: Tada Iguchi

HA!!

Just beat me.:redneck

SectionBNole
05-14-2006, 11:22 PM
:D:

:cool:Its all good

LoganSox
05-14-2006, 11:25 PM
I welcome any corrections to this, but my understanding of the pronunciation of "ll" is very regional...in general it's pronounced as a "j" sound (or as written on this thread "szh") in Colombia, Argentina and Nicaragua, and as a "y" sound everywhere else...

I wouldn't be surprised that in Venezuela it's pronounced different ways by different people depending on where you go...but it's possible that the trend is like Colombia, and my spanish teacher forgot to include it on the list!

Corlose 15
05-14-2006, 11:27 PM
I welcome any corrections to this, but my understanding of the pronunciation of "ll" is very regional...in general it's pronounced as a "j" sound (or as written on this thread "szh") in Colombia, Argentina and Nicaragua, and as a "y" sound everywhere else...

I wouldn't be surprised that in Venezuela it's pronounced different ways by different people depending on where you go...but it's possible that the trend is like Colombia, and my spanish teacher forgot to include it on the list!

You're right.

shes
05-15-2006, 02:52 AM
Wow, are some of you guys picking nits. You don't like Jon Miller? Fine. But to call the man an idiot for pronouncing Uribe's name correctly is ridiculous.

palehozenychicty
05-15-2006, 08:48 AM

Exactly. If I knew somebody was screwing up my name on purpose, there'd be words exchanged.

stl_sox_fan
05-15-2006, 09:12 AM
At least he wasn't saying Taguchi last night. That one bugs the heck out of me. I believe he plays in St Loius.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:x_kwkvW9RqZHcM:www.asahi.com/spo/be-sports/image/iguchi.jpg
Iguchi
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:8vybJIa3OqPWzM:www.americanphoto.co.j p/photosearch/Previews/PLX107658.jpg
Taguchi

spawn
05-15-2006, 09:18 AM
Wow, are some of you guys picking nits. You don't like Jon Miller? Fine. But to call the man an idiot for pronouncing Uribe's name correctly is ridiculous.
Ditto. I can't believe someone in this thread said that even though Miller is correct in his pronuniciation of Uribe's name, that he should just say it like everyone else does. That's ignorance at it's finest.

PennStater98r
05-15-2006, 09:35 AM
Though I think Miller is doing the right thing by pronouncing Uribe's name correctly, the bottom line is that you can not tell another person what's annoying to him or her. If someone on this site is annoyed at the way Miller says Uribe, you can't tell him or her that s/he's wrong. You can only be annoyed with their ignorance.

Bobby Thigpen
05-15-2006, 09:41 AM
What really annoys me about the man is that he tries to put a Spanish type pronounciation on every name. He once tried to pronounce Pauly's name with a Spanish type pronounciation.

ShoelessJoeS
05-15-2006, 12:47 PM
No she got on my case about Vasquez - Incorrectly spelled names pisses me off just as much as the pronunciation of them. So, for the last time (hopefully), there is NO S in VAZQUEZ.

And while we're on the subject of correct pronunciation, it's "vahs-kays," although, one might hear the V sound like a B.

batmanZoSo
05-15-2006, 12:52 PM
I can't believe there's another thread on this...:rolleyes:

maurice
05-15-2006, 01:11 PM
I heard Ozzie say it was actually pronounced gee-SZHEN.

I've heard him say that also. As for Podsednik, when he was traded for Lee, he said that one of the Ds was silent, but he didn't know which one, so either way is fine.
:D:

At least we don't have a player named "Favre," "Shawon," "Chone," or "Jhonny."

Erik The Red
05-15-2006, 01:15 PM

The "SZH" pronunciation of the double-L (and "Y", as they have the same sound) is mostly a South American thing these days, though you do hear it in Mexico from time to time. So, pronouncing it "gee-YEN" isn't necessarily incorrect, it just isn't the way that people in Venezuela pronounce it.

miker
05-15-2006, 01:30 PM
Nobody can either pronounce or even spell my name correctly...I need some kind of Bohemian-right's group to come to my aid. Let's have a protest march!

TheKittle
05-15-2006, 06:26 PM
I don't have a problem with how he pronounces Uribe's name, whether it's correct or not.

What I DO have a problem with is how utterly annoying that man is. He may know his baseball and his Spanish (apparently), but he is still a couple douchebag when it comes to broadcasting a game.

His only redeeming quality is the fact that he has a good voice for a broadcaster. If it wasn't for the fact that he was beyond annoying, he would actually be enjoyable to listen to.

And while I am at it, I must mention how stupid Joe Morgan is.......

A few days ago when the Boston/New York series was going on and ESPN was broadcasting it(as usual:rolleyes: ), Miller and Morgan began talking about what the difference was between Giambi and Bonds.

Morgan basically asked Miller what the difference was between Bonds and Giambi. Morgan could not understand why fans hate Bonds so much, but yet they get behind Giambi. Morgan went on like a 5 minute rant about how unfair it was that fans still support Giambi but do not support Bonds.

I nearly smashed my TV when he was talking, I was INCREDIBLY pissed!!!! He just "couldn't find a reason" why this was happening.

So I'm screaming at my TV, "GEE, I DON'T KNOW!, YOU PIECE OF ****!!!!" MAYBE it has something to do with the fact that Giambi ADMITTED to taking steroids and apologized for it. He acted like a man and accepted blame for his actions. Meanwhile, that piece of human trash Bonds, continues to deny it when the facts are starring him in the ****ing face!!!! He continues to act like he did nothing wrong and it's all just a big coincidence that his head swelled 5 head sizes in 2 years.

How could someone that is supposed to be a baseball "expert" not see this glaring difference?!?!?!:?:

Giambi didn't apologize for jack. All he said was I'm sorry. He didn't publically admit he used steroid, though only a fool would think otherwise. He wasn't sorry for just steroids and stealing the MVP from Frank in 2000. He was sorry his name was drag through the mud.

thomas35forever
05-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Don't forget that Joe Buck calls Scotty "POD-SED-NIK".

itsnotrequired
05-15-2006, 06:59 PM

So what's Gene Honda's excuse?

:redneck

sox647
05-15-2006, 07:07 PM

Yes, that should be the title of this thread.

cards press box
05-15-2006, 08:30 PM
I have a hard time listening to Jon Miller broadcasting any White Sox game. While he may not be as blatantly "over the top" as his ESPN colleague Chris Berman (who would not cease his non-stop and, frankly, childish cheerleading for the Red Sox last October), Miller has his favorites, too. Come to think of it, Berman's favorites (Red Sox, Giants, Cubs) are pretty similar to Miller's favorites (Giants, Orioles, Cubs). Anyway, in last Sunday's game at the Metrodome, it was pretty obvious from Miller's voice that he enjoyed the bottom of the 1st inning a whole lot more than the rest of the game.

I think that Berman and Miller (and especially Berman) are caught up with the national media's obsession with the Cubs and their so-called ballpark and, without realizing it, are inclined to view the White Sox and Sox fans as second-class citizens. It's ESPN's own brand of elitism and it may explain why Miller gets so "smart-alecky" with his pronounciations of player's names.

FarWestChicago
05-15-2006, 08:42 PM
Even if I know Los Angeles is Spanish I'm still going to pronounce it "Las An-gell-ess" instead of "Los An-hell-es". To me at least, I'm also going to say You-ree-bay instead of Ooo-ree-bay simply because breaking my dialect sounds overzealous and preachy. I don't think it's an uncommon behavior to absorb names derived from other languages into one's own language.The difference being that the former pronunciation is correct for the city of LaLaLand, much like Des Plaines is correctly pronounced incorrectly. There is no reason to mispronounce Uribe's name other that astonishing silliness, which you have further demonstrated. :redneck

TornLabrum
05-15-2006, 09:17 PM
The difference being that the former pronunciation is correct for the city of LaLaLand, much like Des Plaines is correctly pronounced incorrectly. There is no reason to mispronounce Uribe's name other that astonishing silliness, which you have further demonstrated. :redneck

I'd add that since Ozzie always pronounces Uribe as "oo-REE-bay" that those who are upset with Miller should also be upset with Ozzie for correctly pronouncing the name.

rookie
05-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Incorrectly spelled names pisses me off just as much as the pronunciation of them. So, for the last time (hopefully), there is NO S in VAZQUEZ.

And while we're on the subject of correct pronunciation, it's "vahs-kays," although, one might hear the V sound like a B.

Sorry to have "pissed you off." Actually, no I'm not. If people want to get annoyed and pissed about stuff, that's on them. People make mistakes, and people have different ways of treating people with respect. People do the best they can. But I guess this is what internet message boards is for - complaining and stuff.

SOX LA Mikey
05-15-2006, 10:02 PM
My biggest problem with Miller is his refusal to call the White Sox "World Champions" instead opting for 'Major League Champions'
his excuse being that Japan won the WBC (like that 2 week exhibition counts)

cmars1010
05-15-2006, 11:00 PM
this isnt about miller, but did anybody see the red sox-yankees game when Joe Morgan said Mariano River threw a slider during the game, he of the one pitch pitcher (cutter). You would think Morgan would have more of a clue.

0o0o0
05-16-2006, 07:53 AM
What really annoys me about the man is that he tries to put a Spanish type pronounciation on every name. He once tried to pronounce Pauly's name with a Spanish type pronounciation.
:?::o:!

jdm2662
05-16-2006, 09:02 AM
My biggest problem with Miller is his refusal to call the White Sox "World Champions" instead opting for 'Major League Champions'
his excuse being that Japan won the WBC (like that 2 week exhibition counts)

I see nothing with that, since I don't refer to them as World Champions either. MLB, league, or World Series champs are all legit. The NBA stopped referring to their league champ as world champs during the Bulls run for the same reason: it's technically not winning a world title. It is a league title.

PennStater98r
05-16-2006, 09:17 AM
Nobody can either pronounce or even spell my name correctly...I need some kind of Bohemian-right's group to come to my aid. Let's have a protest march!

miker doesn't seem too hard to pronounce.

TDog
05-16-2006, 05:46 PM
I see nothing with that, since I don't refer to them as World Champions either. MLB, league, or World Series champs are all legit. The NBA stopped referring to their league champ as world champs during the Bulls run for the same reason: it's technically not winning a world title. It is a league title.

At least in baseball you can still say "World Series champions." But if they ever realign baseball and do away with the American and National leagues, they will retire the name "World Series" for something bland.

DC Sox Fan
05-16-2006, 05:56 PM
At least he got the first name right, as opposed to his partner, Joe Morgan, commenting on the Sox' manager "Jose Guillen" :o:

miker
05-17-2006, 12:44 PM
At least in baseball you can still say "World Series champions." But if they ever realign baseball and do away with the American and National leagues, they will retire the name "World Series" for something bland.
Not only that, they'll probably sponsor it! "And now, your 2008 Viagra Series champion Tampa Bay Devil Rays!"

longshot7
05-17-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned my personal pet peeve: pronouncing Paulie's name "KO-NAIR-KO" instead of the more correct "KO-NER (as in nerd or nerf) -KO.

It's pronounced wrong all over MLB 2K6 and it drives me crazy.

lumpyspun
05-17-2006, 01:42 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned my personal pet peeve: pronouncing Paulie's name "KO-NAIR-KO" instead of the more correct "KO-NER (as in nerd or nerf) -KO.

It's pronounced wrong all over MLB 2K6 and it drives me crazy.

I guess you would hate the way I pronounce it then too. I'm a Ko-Nair-Ko sayer. I can't help it, that's just the way it rolls out of my mouth...