PDA

View Full Version : 2006 draft discussion

ChiSoxRowand
05-14-2006, 04:37 PM
With the draft less than a month away, I thought it would be a good time to get some discussion going. The #1 pick is still up in the air, with Miller still looking like the favorite although he could slip based on signability. Here is BA's list of the top 20 draft prospects (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/askba/261098.html). It will be intersting to see how far Boras guys like Schezerer and Hochevar slip, I could see one of them falling to the Sox. I would also like to see Wes Hodges (Ga Tech 3B) fall to us but that's highly unlikely.

caulfield12
05-14-2006, 05:20 PM
Do we really need another 3B with Crede (although he would be gone by then) and Fields in the fold?

I defer to those who go with pitching first, unless the proverbial ¨best athlete available¨ falls into our hands. Of course, those raw players are the Joe Borchards that usually end up more as busts than successes.

If we could find a very good closer or short relief prospect in the draft, I wouldn´t be too disappointed.

We've done a good job getting CFers....Reed in the 2nd round, BA in the first, Rowand, Anthony Webster and Chris Young, to name a few.

Catcher is another position that we could use some more depth....we have Lucy, Hernandez and Chris Stewart, but there are just lots of journeyman tyes and not many impact catchers to be had.

TheKittle
05-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Marcus Lemon.

KRS1
05-14-2006, 07:30 PM
I would also like to see Wes Hodges (Ga Tech 3B) fall to us but that's highly unlikely.
Just to add something about him, we drafted Wes in 03'. Too bad we couldnt get him signed, could have been a huge steal for us.

Back to the subject of our draft, I want a couple advanced power arms early on, in the hopes we may be able to get pen help. If Blair Erickson or Chris Perez are gone, maybe look for Jeff Samardzija because he certainly has a good raw, low mileage arm.

Fungo
05-15-2006, 09:13 AM
Just to add something about him, we drafted Wes in 03'. Too bad we couldnt get him signed, could have been a huge steal for us.

Back to the subject of our draft, I want a couple advanced power arms early on, in the hopes we may be able to get pen help. If Blair Erickson or Chris Perez are gone, maybe look for Jeff Samardzija because he certainly has a good raw, low mileage arm. I wouldn't touch Samardzija as I feel it would be a wasted pick. Great talent, but I just don't think he is gonna give up his senior year of football under Weis. Too many risks for failure in baseball and a walk to football and a huge payday. We did pick Hodges previously and would have been a real nice sign. This years draft position is so much different than years past. We have always been in the 12-16 pick area and you could get a feel for who the Sox had targeted. Now being at the tail end it is harder to gauge. A small list of guys I have seen either in person or on the dish who IMO would be very solid picks. All could go top 50 except for Sullivan, who would be a nice later round pick. I'd like to see the Sox stay pitching the first couple rounds.

Dustin Evans, rhp, Georgia Southern
Mike Sullivan, of, Ball State University
Adam Davis, 2b, University of Florida
P.J. Walters, rhp, University of South Alabama

AND a couple High Schoolers...
Cody Johnson, OF, Lynn Haven Mosley HS in the Florida panhandle.
Stephen King, SS, Winter Park HS in Orlando.

Frater Perdurabo
05-15-2006, 09:42 AM
If we could find a very good closer or short relief prospect in the draft, I wouldn´t be too disappointed.

Pardon me, but I may be misunderstanding what you wrote in the above statement.

Can you tell me why the Sox would want to draft a relief pitcher? Aren't MLB relievers generally guys who were good enough to be starters in high school or college, but couldn't cut it as starters in the bigs because they generally do not have the stuff to get MLB hitters out the second and third time through the lineup? If so, why draft a guy who they don't think at least has the ability to start in the major leagues?
:?:

Or am I misunderstanding you? Do you just hope that the Sox draft a pitcher who in three to five years will be closing or holding games at the MLB level, an equivalent of Jenks or Cotts?
:cool:

White Sox Randy
05-15-2006, 09:47 AM
Would the Sox even draft Boras "players" ?

SoxxoS
05-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Pardon me, but I may be misunderstanding what you wrote in the above statement.

Can you tell me why the Sox would want to draft a relief pitcher? Aren't MLB relievers generally guys who were good enough to be starters in high school or college, but couldn't cut it as starters in the bigs because they generally do not have the stuff to get MLB hitters out the second and third time through the lineup? If so, why draft a guy who they don't think at least has the ability to start in the major leagues?
:?:

It's called the Royce Ring theory of drafting. It has a great track record.

CleeFan101
05-15-2006, 03:09 PM
It's called the Royce Ring theory of drafting. It has a great track record.

And its for guys like Chad Cordero and Huston Street who flew through the minors and helped their big league club quickly. Also there are 2 more guys that have also flew through the minors but I think both in AAA right now in Craig Hansen for the Redsox and cant remember the guys name for the Braves.

Tragg
05-15-2006, 03:32 PM
Brad Lincoln is a great pitcher; the only thing is that he's been overworked this season with some high pitch counts.

I agree that drafting relief pitchers early in the draft is stupid.

caulfield12
05-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Ring has obviously been a bust.

Josh Fogg was a college closer at UF who later became a decent, #5 starting pitcher.

Although Cordero and Street are good counter-examples for Ring, especially at the position the White Sox are drafting from.

KW´s philosophy has usually been to go with the best ¨power arm¨ available, rolling the dice that 1 or 2 Gio Gonzalezes or Haigwoods per draft will come to the forefront and make an impact. Obviously a hit or miss strategy.

Maybe Danny Wright would have had a decent career as a closer before the injuries got him, although I doubt his control would have been good enough.

Drafting a relief pitcher in the Top 10-20 picks would be stupid, like drafting a punter or kicker (remember the UCLA kicker, John Lee, who was drafted so high (Cardinals) and flopped? However, with the last pick of the first round, I wouldn´t be opposed at all. I still prefer a catcher, although Hernandez-Lucy-Stewart fans would disagree.

KRS1
05-15-2006, 05:13 PM
I wouldn't touch Samardzija as I feel it would be a wasted pick. Great talent, but I just don't think he is gonna give up his senior year of football under Weis.

I tend to agree with this assesment of his situation a lot, and I should have been more clear that I would be willing to see us take a potential reach on a righty power arm here(like Jeff, not necassarily him). I dont like Jeffs future in foolsball as much as most do, however I do think some team will take the Mike Williams reach on him and that will keep him in South Bend. I just want a righty power arm, and preferably a polished one.

Tragg
05-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Ring has obviously been a bust.
But the great thing is, we knew it early and cut our losses.

TheKittle
05-15-2006, 07:54 PM
Where does Marcus Lemon rate? Lip said he was a top 10-20 pick. But I don't see his name in BA draft lists.

KRS1
05-15-2006, 11:40 PM
Where does Marcus Lemon rate? Lip said he was a top 10-20 pick. But I don't see his name in BA draft lists.

Rated the 45th best HS player by BA.

45.Marcus Lemon ss/2b R-R 5-10 169 Eustis (Fla.) HS Texas
They also have him as the third rated middle infielder in the draft, and projected him to be a second rounder in March.

3.Marcus Lemon,
Eustis (Fla.) HSSecond

BA scouting report blurbs from Feb....

Advocates of Lemon grew exponentially last summer and fall when he displayed his all-out, hustling approach to the game and solid-average toolset................his pedigree and championship-caliber makeup are two reasons scouts might be reluctant to let his name slide down their follow list.
Lemon's best tool is his glove. He makes all the routine plays at shortstop and has average range in the hole. His arm is erratic. He's a catalyst at the plate, making consistent contact and spraying the ball to both alleys.

Signed to play with Texas in Nov.

rdivaldi
05-15-2006, 11:43 PM
Catcher is another position that we could use some more depth....we have Lucy, Hernandez and Chris Stewart, but there are just lots of journeyman tyes and not many impact catchers to be had.

With AJ locked up long term, Widger doing a good job in limited action, and Hernandez looking like the future I don't think catcher is much of a priority this year or the next. Considering the recent philosophical changes by the front office and our elite status, I wouldn't mind if KW just went with a "best player available" strategy.

Tragg
05-16-2006, 04:33 PM
With AJ locked up long term, Widger doing a good job in limited action, and Hernandez looking like the future I don't think catcher is much of a priority this year or the next. Considering the recent philosophical changes by the front office and our elite status, I wouldn't mind if KW just went with a "best player available" strategy.

I most cases, especially when you draft late like we do, aren't you going to wait 3-4 years anyway? Seems like "best available" player would always be the best strategy in our position; unless you want to concentrate on broad groups like pitchers v position players.

TheKittle
05-16-2006, 05:35 PM
Rated the 45th best HS player by BA.

They also have him as the third rated middle infielder in the draft, and projected him to be a second rounder in March.

BA scouting report blurbs from Feb....

Signed to play with Texas in Nov.

I'm guessing he won't be around when the Sox pick in the second round which would be somewhere around the 70th pick, since there will be 15 "sandwich" picks before the second round. So if the Sox took him with their first pick, 29th overall, would that be a reach?

rdivaldi
05-16-2006, 10:19 PM
I most cases, especially when you draft late like we do, aren't you going to wait 3-4 years anyway?

Personally I don't think you should have to wait 3- 4 years for first rounders to develop if they are college players. High schoolers are a different story of course, but I would like us to take more college guys anyway.

KRS1
05-17-2006, 02:36 AM
I'm guessing he won't be around when the Sox pick in the second round which would be somewhere around the 70th pick, since there will be 15 "sandwich" picks before the second round. So if the Sox took him with their first pick, 29th overall, would that be a reach?

I certainly would not mind adding to our MI depth early, but like I said before I would prefer to get a righty power pitcher in the first.

Anyone know where Jonathon Holdzkom is rated in the draft? I wouldnt expect him to be picked any time before round 5. I ask because I remembered his name from last year when the Mariners picked him because of his near triple digit heat. He's also 6'7" which means his pitches look faster and most likely are rather heavy on the bat. He left the wooden bat CC league he was in early this season, and has struggled mightily with his control, but I sure wouldnt mind us taking a risk on him, as there are much bigger risks we could take.

KRS1
05-17-2006, 02:56 AM
Here's an article on MI prospects, nice bit on Marcus Lemon here. Everything I have read makes it sound like he is very cerebral on and off the field, and is a highly polished player as it comes to makeup and instincts.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060515&content_id=1455159&vkey=draft2006&fext=.jsp

He's probably solidified himself for the top two rounds. It's a very thin talent pool this year and I think that will help Marcus Lemon. He has an outside chance at the first round, but my guess is the top 50."

Emmanuel Burris sounds like a player I would love us to get in the second. Says here he is regarded as the fastest player in college.

Got to love this line.........

The attraction with him, though, is that you know you have a slam-dunk Major Leaguer. The insurance with him is pretty good.

getonbckthr
05-17-2006, 09:05 AM
What about 1B? I know we have Paulie and Thome signed for like 5 and 3 or 4 years respectedly but wouldn't that mean that Rogowski would just be getting wasted on the farm? I can't see us waiting 5 years for Rogowski. So maybe draft the best 1B prospect available, over the next few years let him develop. Once Thome's contract is up he might retire at that point and Paulie would be a good DH canidate. At this point hopefully this prospect would be ready to step in at 1B similar to what Brian Anderson has done this year.

Fungo
05-17-2006, 09:33 AM
I certainly would not mind adding to our MI depth early, but like I said before I would prefer to get a righty power pitcher in the first.

Anyone know where Jonathon Holdzkom is rated in the draft? I wouldnt expect him to be picked any time before round 5. I ask because I remembered his name from last year when the Mariners picked him because of his near triple digit heat. He's also 6'7" which means his pitches look faster and most likely are rather heavy on the bat. He left the wooden bat CC league he was in early this season, and has struggled mightily with his control, but I sure wouldnt mind us taking a risk on him, as there are much bigger risks we could take.I wouldn't touch him within the first 10-12 rounds. From what I remember, he had problems with his HS coach and was academically ineligible for a portion of his senior year. If he dropped out of JuCo like you said, then obviously he would be an easy sign. Stranger things have happened though, we took a chance on Jenks who also had a checkered past and that has turned out very well so far. Sometimes all these kids need is a wake-up call for things to click.

KRS1
05-17-2006, 04:39 PM
What about 1B? I know we have Paulie and Thome signed for like 5 and 3 or 4 years respectedly but wouldn't that mean that Rogowski would just be getting wasted on the farm? I can't see us waiting 5 years for Rogowski. So maybe draft the best 1B prospect available, over the next few years let him develop. Once Thome's contract is up he might retire at that point and Paulie would be a good DH canidate. At this point hopefully this prospect would be ready to step in at 1B similar to what Brian Anderson has done this year.

We have some very good depth at 1b at different levels of development IMO.
Rogo is the obvious one at Charlotte.

Next is Hansen, whom struggled at Bham, but is tearing it up in W-S. He may be a guy who could find his way around in 3 years.

After him we have the super raw Brandon Allen and Vernon Carter. The have both struggled hitting above SS ball, but I still like both of these guys a lot. They would be the type of 5 year projected player you speak of in line after PK. Prospects panning out is NEVER a sure thing, but I would dare to say that one of these guys will play in Chicago in the future. Their physical tools and strength make there chances good, and once they get all the fundamentals and polish that come with time, there chances will be even better.

Fungo
05-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Baseball America has put up it's first Mock draft. They have UNC left-hander Andrew Miller going number one to KC, but signability concerns loom.

Their initial projection for the White Sox...

29. WHITE SOX. Chicago is set to contend for at least the near future, so it can afford to take a long-term project such as California high school righthander Chris Tillman. Walden and Kiker also might be hard to ignore. If the White Sox opt for more immediate help, they've been linked to Clemson outfielder Tyler Colvin, though that would be a stretch.

Projected Pick: Chris Tillman.

This will change countless times before the actual draft.

Hitmen77
05-22-2006, 09:55 AM
what does this quote from the Trib mean? Does this mean that the Sox could draft this kid and he'll just turn around and go to college? I know this is just a mock draft, but if he's planning to go to college, why draft him?

According to a mock draft by Baseball America, the Sox are projected to select 6-foot-7-inch Fountain Valley, Calif., pitcher Chris Tillman with the 29th overall pick. Tillman has signed a letter of intent to Cal State Fullerton.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-060521soxbits,1,7296530.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Randar68
05-22-2006, 10:17 AM
what does this quote from the Trib mean? Does this mean that the Sox could draft this kid and he'll just turn around and go to college? I know this is just a mock draft, but if he's planning to go to college, why draft him?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-060521soxbits,1,7296530.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

It just means he'll go to college if he doesn't like his draft position... The Sox won't be taking anyone they aren't confident they'll sign. Last year, 7th rounder (or was it 6th?) Daniel Cortes had signed a letter of intent to play for San Diego State (Tony Gwynn), but still signed with the Sox...

Randar68
05-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Not a Lemon fan... He's a poor-man's Robert Valido (who was a 4th rounder)...

Wes Hodges would be my dream pick. I've loved that guy since the day we drafted him and wrote him up as a future first-round lock just a week after the first time we drafted him... He'll be one of the top position players in the draft.

I do think the organization is short on power-hitting 1B-type players...

I do like the philosophy of drafting CF'ers, SS's, and 3B in terms of the position players. In terms of pitchin, I'm a bit split on this. I think right now HS pitchers are actually the undervalued pick, and perhaps this is the year we go back and take a chance on one late in the first round?

In terms of closers/relievers? I don't really see a Ryan Wagner or Huston Street type of closer available this year, so I wouldn't do that with the first pick.

This being said, without a sandwich pick and drafting late in each round, I hope the Sox do a little of what they did last year and take some signability risk picks in the 3-10 and 18-22 rounds and try to maximize their value-per-pick by putting the money on the table to some of those guys...

Fungo
05-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Not a Lemon fan... He's a poor-man's Robert Valido (who was a 4th rounder)...

Wes Hodges would be my dream pick. I've loved that guy since the day we drafted him and wrote him up as a future first-round lock just a week after the first time we drafted him... He'll be one of the top position players in the draft.

I do think the organization is short on power-hitting 1B-type players...

I do like the philosophy of drafting CF'ers, SS's, and 3B in terms of the position players. In terms of pitchin, I'm a bit split on this. I think right now HS pitchers are actually the undervalued pick, and perhaps this is the year we go back and take a chance on one late in the first round?

In terms of closers/relievers? I don't really see a Ryan Wagner or Huston Street type of closer available this year, so I wouldn't do that with the first pick.

This being said, without a sandwich pick and drafting late in each round, I hope the Sox do a little of what they did last year and take some signability risk picks in the 3-10 and 18-22 rounds and try to maximize their value-per-pick by putting the money on the table to some of those guys...Randar, I remember you saying that when Hodges was drafted. I wouldn't mind grabbing him again. My nightmare pick would be picking 1B Matt LaPorta out of the U of Florida. Baseball America had a big write up on him early this year and even went so far as to compare his power potential to Pujols. Now he is struggling to hit .250 in college. I saw him last year while checking out their 2b Adam Davis and was unimpressed then. This kid gets so much undeserving press IMO. He may have some power, but doesn't hit for any average and is a butcher at first...no offense to any butchers who post here.

Randar68
05-22-2006, 11:53 AM
Randar, I remember you saying that when Hodges was drafted. I wouldn't mind grabbing him again. My nightmare pick would be picking 1B Matt LaPorta out of the U of Florida. Baseball America had a big write up on him early this year and even went so far as to compare his power potential to Pujols. Now he is struggling to hit .250 in college. I saw him last year while checking out their 2b Adam Davis and was unimpressed then. This kid gets so much undeserving press IMO. He may have some power, but doesn't hit for any average and is a butcher at first...no offense to any butchers who post here.

I'm not a Laporta fan either.

Hodges won't be there when we pick, unfortunately. IMO, he's a better prospect than Josh Fields was at the same point but I expect they'll go at about the same point in the first round... (mid-teens).

Fungo
05-22-2006, 12:22 PM
I'm not a Laporta fan either.

Hodges won't be there when we pick, unfortunately. IMO, he's a better prospect than Josh Fields was at the same point but I expect they'll go at about the same point in the first round... (mid-teens).I agree about him being a better prospect at that stage of their careers. You've seen Fields in person, any chance he gets moved to first somewhere down the line to maybe fill the need you mentioned? Has his defense improved enough to warrant keeping him at third?

Randar68
05-22-2006, 12:39 PM
I agree about him being a better prospect at that stage of their careers. You've seen Fields in person, any chance he gets moved to first somewhere down the line to maybe fill the need you mentioned? Has his defense improved enough to warrant keeping him at third?

I still think he has a lot of potential defensively. Don't think he'll ever be as good as Crede, not as smooth, but he could be better than most of the league at 3rd, IMO.

Frater Perdurabo
05-22-2006, 02:06 PM
I still think he has a lot of potential defensively. Don't think he'll ever be as good as Crede, not as smooth, but he could be better than most of the league at 3rd, IMO.

Do you think that when Thome moves on or retires at the end of his current contract, the Sox would consider moving Paulie (with his 5-year deal) to DH and putting Fields in at first base (assuming they sign Crede long-term, of course)?