caulfield12
05-14-2006, 11:52 AM
MAXIM'S 5 WORST
1 Dusty Baker, Cubs
2 Ron Gardenhire, Twins
3 Mike Hargrove, Mariners
4 Buddy Bell, Royals
5 Bob Melvin, D-backs

Okay, Baker...well, that's a stretch too, based on his track record over his entire career. Probably just to make headlines...would anyone care if either of the other four were Number 1 and get worked up in a lather like the former Twins' manager?

But Gardenhire? You have got to be kidding me. I don't know what more he could have done, to tell you the truth. He won 3 consecutive AL Central championships with lesser payrolls...and the reason he made the list this year is because they actually finished behind the World Champions last year? How dare he?

It's hard to tell with Bell...these Royals are not playing on a level field. Although I expected more of this year's team with the additions, to tell you the truth. Everyone thought Pena was a great manager mid-2003, and how quickly his fate changed after the overachieving came to an end.

Chips
05-14-2006, 12:00 PM
MAXIM'S 5 WORST
1 Dusty Baker, Cubs
2 Ron Gardenhire, Twins
4 Buddy Bell, Royals
5 Bob Melvin, D-backs

Okay, Baker...well, that's a stretch too, based on his track record over his entire career. Probably just to make headlines...would anyone care if either of the other four were Number 1 and get worked up in a lather like the former Twins' manager?

But Gardenhire? You have got to be kidding me. I don't know what more he could have done, to tell you the truth. He won 3 consecutive AL Central championships with lesser payrolls...and the reason he made the list this year is because they actually finished behind the World Champions last year? How dare he?

It's hard to tell with Bell...these Royals are not playing on a level field. Although I expected more of this year's team with the additions, to tell you the truth. Everyone thought Pena was a great manager mid-2003, and how quickly his fate changed after the overachieving came to an end.

Gardenhire is one of the better managers in the game, he team has changed a lot in the last few years.

chaerulez
05-14-2006, 12:03 PM
Baker is not a stretch. He is terrible. His success was being in the right place at the right time, as in being able to have Jeff Kent and Barry Bonds in their prime years. Gardenhire I don't understand I agree, the decision to use Santana and Liriano as relief first I think was more of a team wide thing. And so they don't abuse their talented young arms like the Cubs did.

caulfield12
05-14-2006, 12:10 PM
I still think it's very difficult to take Baker based on the last couple of years. I imagine if it was a poll for Worst Big 10 BB coach, the Iowa fans would use the same excuses for Alford (I went to Iowa) as they (Cubs fans) do for Baker now....he wasn't at full strength, injuries and transfers, etc.

If Wood, Prior and Lee were healthy....if, if, if.

I do agree Baker and Phil Jackson look much more human without superstar talent. Any coach does, as OG has frequently opined, referring to Joe Torre.

Optipessimism
05-14-2006, 12:48 PM
MAXIM'S 5 WORST
1 Dusty Baker, Cubs
2 Ron Gardenhire, Twins
4 Buddy Bell, Royals
5 Bob Melvin, D-backs

IMO, if the Indians had Gardenhire they would have had the wildcard last year.

I don't know much about Melvin, but Hargrove has won when he's had talent. That said, I still think he deserves a spot on the list because I think there's been more talent on the Mariners the last few years than their record has indicated.

Buddy Bell, or any Royals manager for that matter, makes no sense to me. I don't care who it is, no manager wins with the garbage they have in KC.

Dusty might not be the worst manager of them all, but he has to top the list of dumbest comments by a manager.

fquaye149
05-14-2006, 01:38 PM
I still think it's very difficult to take Baker based on the last couple of years. I imagine if it was a poll for Worst Big 10 BB coach, the Iowa fans would use the same excuses for Alford (I went to Iowa) as they (Cubs fans) do for Baker now....he wasn't at full strength, injuries and transfers, etc.

If Wood, Prior and Lee were healthy....if, if, if.

I do agree Baker and Phil Jackson look much more human without superstar talent. Any coach does, as OG has frequently opined, referring to Joe Torre.

Dusty has no control over his players, even if they do like him. He also makes stupid decisions.

Look at 2004, when the Cubs had a legitimate chance to make the playoffs. Injuries or not, all they had to do was hold off a cadre of weak teams. Instead, we got Steve Stone Chip Caray gate, Sammy's ego, blah blah blah, anything to distract from the fact that they continued to lose games