PDA

View Full Version : Come Ready to Play

Jjav829
01-31-2002, 09:19 AM
Coming Sunday: new Sox commercials

January 31, 2002

BY ELLIOTT HARRIS SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

Last season "The Kids Can Play'' went away.

In its place, the White Sox' slogan became "It's Time.''

Time for what never became quite clear, and during the season it was sent to the showers to be replaced by "White Sox Baseball.''

With the 2002 season growing closer with every falling snowflake comes the newest slogan: "Come Ready to Play.'' Print and radio ads featuring the slogan are to debut Sunday, with television to follow in March.

"We're trying to define what the team is all about,'' Sox senior vice president of marketing and broadcasting Rob Gallas said Wednesday. "For the last several years, it's been about playing hard-nosed, get-your-uniform- dirty, don't-quit sort of style. The great thing about this is its duality because it really reflects the attitude of the team--hey, when you come to play us, come ready to play--but it also reflects something that we're trying to emphasize more and more: all the things there are to do at Comiskey Park.''

One of the things will be a sleepover June 8 after playing the Expos to benefit White Sox Charities. It is believed to be the first time the Sox intentionally will try to put their fans to sleep.

cheeses_h_rice
01-31-2002, 09:24 AM
My question is: why is it so necessary to have a "slogan" to define the forthcoming year? Each year with the Sox, it's "Men in Black," "The Kids Can Play," "It's Time," and now the yawn-inducing "Come Ready to Play." I mean, are these slogans really necessary, especially when they often serve as our own in-house Sports Illustrated-esque jinx?

bjmarte
01-31-2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
My question is: why is it so necessary to have a "slogan" to define the forthcoming year? Each year with the Sox, it's "Men in Black," "The Kids Can Play," "It's Time," and now the yawn-inducing "Come Ready to Play." I mean, are these slogans really necessary, especially when they often serve as our own in-house Sports Illustrated-esque jinx?
The slogan is not the reason this team hasn't won a championship. I agree that the slogans seem a little trite but they are just trying to put rumps in the seats. I liked the 'Kids Can Play' commercials in 2000, not because of the slogan but because it highlighted the team and helped passive fans know more about the players. They should have done more of that last year.

CiscoCarlos
01-31-2002, 10:37 AM
Anytime you have to use the word "duality" to explain your team slogan, you know it's a dud.