PDA

View Full Version : Who do we need at the trade deadline?

froghat
05-13-2006, 11:43 PM
I'd like to see us get a solid bullpen guy. Not sure who will be available but you can't ever have enough good arms in the pen for late game nail biters.

LuvSox
05-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Rowand

DumpJerry
05-13-2006, 11:56 PM
:wills
"Tampa is looking to dump some salary."

Optipessimism
05-13-2006, 11:58 PM
Guardado should be available, but who wants him?
Damaso will be on the trading block, but we already had him...
Maybe Jeremy Affeldt for a lefty?
Denys Baez maybe?

In order to get anything really good I think we're going to have to give up something pretty good. To make matters worse, you have 3 teams each looking at contending in the Central, East, and West. That leaves only a few teams in the AL out of it by the Allstar break who IMO will definitely be sellers (Minnesota, KC, TB, Orioles, Mariners). As far as the NL, the Marlins don't have anything left to trade besides Cabrera and Willis, and besides the Mets just about every other team looks mediocre enough to stick close.

I'm willing to bet it's going to be a sucky market this summer, just like last year.

0o0o0
05-14-2006, 12:05 AM

Wills for Singleton and "Crew" from the PTC's (since Hawk always wins anyway). Possibly throw in Alex Snelius as well.

LuvSox
05-14-2006, 12:07 AM
Possibly throw in Alex Snelius as well.

Let's keep Alex, he's alright.

Optipessimism
05-14-2006, 12:12 AM
Let's keep Alex, he's alright.

Definitely keep Alex. Maybe Wills for a bag of turds. That's not a knock on Wills, but it's been a long time since somebody gave a **** about the Tampa Bay DevilRays. I think they'd like t hat.

itsnotrequired
05-14-2006, 12:14 AM
Maybe Wills for a bag of turds. That's not a knock on Wills, but it's been a long time since somebody gave a **** about the Tampa Bay DevilRays. I think they'd like t hat.

:rolling:

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-14-2006, 01:09 AM
I really like Mike Myers

Edward
05-14-2006, 01:18 AM

Hey man, low blow, have you ever heard this guy's story? Hes a real genuine/good guy. I wouldn't trade him for anything (even if we could) :smile:

Bobbo35
05-14-2006, 03:23 AM

Thats what I'm talking about, a little Dave Wills action. I miss him a lot. Chris Rongey ain't doing it for me.

SoxSideIrish
05-14-2006, 03:28 AM
Hey man, low blow, have you ever heard this guy's story? Hes a real genuine/good guy. I wouldn't trade him for anything (even if we could) :smile:We could get a lot for this guy though, if we really needed to shop around. He won the lottery, thats how he and his late wife donate all that money. Good man as far as I've heard.

Does anyone know if Jurassic Carl is available...again? Maybe we can talk Roberto Alomar out of retirement.

Chips
05-14-2006, 03:28 AM
Thats what I'm talking about, a little Dave Wills action. I miss him a lot. Chris Rongey ain't doing it for me.

Chris Singleton ain't doing it for me.

BV2005
05-14-2006, 03:43 AM
I wouldn't mind getting rowand back in a trade and take some pressure off brian anderson by letting him be our backup outfeilder. as far as the bullpen goes, mike myers would be a good choice, and you might think im crazy but if we can get kyle farnsworth coop could do amazing things with him.

gbergman
05-14-2006, 03:46 AM
luis vizcaino, yes he did cause some nail biters and heart attacks early but if he is solid going into the trading deadline i wouldnt mind seeing him on the whitesox pitching staff again. The marte suggestion is not good unless its a different marte because it all depends on who is going to show up the walk machine or the guy who shutsem down. Its to early right now wait till july 1 to start talking additions

FedEx227
05-14-2006, 03:49 AM
and you might think im crazy but if we can get kyle farnsworth coop could do amazing things with him.
Sadly, Coop isn't a brain surgeon and a psychotrist.

Edward
05-14-2006, 06:09 AM
For the ignorant people that are talking about Alex..

linky (http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=3512789)

sorry for being angry, I just hate that a guy like this can be used as a joke.

Check this out, as well (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40472), found it on google searching for Alex stories, hey Batman... if only :D:

oeo
05-14-2006, 12:02 PM
I wouldn't mind getting rowand back in a trade and take some pressure off brian anderson by letting him be our backup outfeilder. as far as the bullpen goes, mike myers would be a good choice, and you might think im crazy but if we can get kyle farnsworth coop could do amazing things with him.
I think a lot of you, if not all of you, will be on the BA-Bandwagon by season's end. Besides, Rowand isn't going ANYWHERE anytime soon, let's get over it already. Brian Anderson is our starting centerfielder, we don't need help there. Why waste a trade on a centerfielder when we could get what we really need: some bullpen help.

Beautox
05-14-2006, 12:40 PM
I think a lot of you, if not all of you, will be on the BA-Bandwagon by season's end. Besides, Rowand isn't going ANYWHERE anytime soon, let's get over it already. Brian Anderson is our starting centerfielder, we don't need help there. Why waste a trade on a centerfielder when we could get what we really need: some bullpen help.

/agree

Anderson isn't the problem. Hes been putting good ABs togeather, and playing Sterling D, but we all knew that. Our Problem lies in the bullpen; Jenks should not be used outside of a save situation and should come into the 9th from the start with a clean slate. Cotts has been great, McCarthy appears to be back on track from his two rough outtings. Politte is having a down year. Thornton could be really good if he has an established role and as someone else mentioned on post game thread Logan needs to go down to AAA.

Corlose 15
05-14-2006, 01:18 PM
Um, Farnsworth and Myers both pitch for the Yankees. Why would they trade with the Sox? What about prying someone like Ray King away from Colorado? Although they're in 1st right now.

Its probably gonna be a crappy market this year which bodes well for the Sox because despite some shakiness in the pen, I still think they're the best team in baseball.

kitekrazy
05-14-2006, 01:25 PM

Yep, the evidence is revealed with John Garland.

Lip Man 1
05-14-2006, 02:34 PM
Bullpen, bullpen, bullpen.

Lip

Infallible
05-14-2006, 03:31 PM
luis vizcaino, yes he did cause some nail biters and heart attacks early but if he is solid going into the trading deadline i wouldnt mind seeing him on the whitesox pitching staff again.
:o:
Where's that bong picture?

Jjav829
05-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Albert Pujols. He can play left, shift Pods to center and who the hell cares about defense since we'll be scoring 10 runs a game? :D:

I think Kenny's focus will be the bullpen, possibly centerfield if BA hits like he did in the month of April.

Foulke You
05-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Um, Farnsworth and Myers both pitch for the Yankees. Why would they trade with the Sox? What about prying someone like Ray King away from Colorado? Although they're in 1st right now.
Exactly. Teams in the AL, especially contenders will not be dealing with the White Sox unless we overwhelm them with an offer. The same goes for any team in the AL Central that is out of it. Remember when we were after Graffanino last year and the Royals took a worse offer from the Red Sox just because they were in a different division? You think the Twins will trade Torii Hunter to the hated White Sox? You think the Royals will deal Affeldt to us? They certainly won't deal with us unless we are willing to have our minor league system strip mined by a division rival and KW is too smart for that.

I think we'll have to look toward the NL for bullpen help. Some arms that I think might be available. Not saying they are all good, just that these guys might be available:

Roberto Hernandez (Pirates)- Wouldn't mind seeing this old friend return to provide some veteran stability in the pen. The Pirates are mathmatically eliminated right?:D:
Terry Mullholland (Dbacks)- He's old but a veteran lefty anyway and probably a better stretch drive option than Boone Logan. Plus, KW has dealt with Arizona on trades a lot recently (Cintron, Vazquez, etc).
Orlando Hernandez (Dbacks)- He's injury prone and having a rough stretch right now but we all know what he can do when the chips are down. The question is, would he take a bullpen role?
Eddie Guardado (Mariners)- If the M's took his salary, I'd take a flyer on Guardado based on his past success and the possibility of Coop being able to correct a flaw. His tendency to give up the long ball lately scares me though but KW went sniffing around for Guardado last year...maybe he'll do it again now that the price to get him has dropped.
Scott Williamson (Cubs)- If the Cubs continue their free fall, they might look to dump some guys for prospects. Not sure if Hendry would deal with us given the crosstown rivalry or what Williamson's contract status is, however, he seems to be recovered from his injuries and has pitched in the AL before with Boston.

I want Mags back
05-14-2006, 04:53 PM

how can u say that about a guy whose wife died, and has been donating money to WSC in honor of her sense

caulfield12
05-14-2006, 06:11 PM
Torii Hunter is a possibility, although many people think that the Yankees are going to go after him hard with the injuries to Matsui and also Sheffield.

I think Torii is making $12 million this season, not sure what his option or buy-out particulars are for next year.

I do think it would be really hard for Ryan to trade him to the Sox, though....and with them taking the first two, they still have a little hope left.

The Twins really need to just get rid of that salary....the big question is whether they will keep Santana around or try to do a ¨Herschel Walker¨ or Von Hayes, White Flag type of trade where they get 5 players in return, 3-4 capable of having a big league impact.

Batista, Stewart, J. Castro and Castillo are obviously not long term solutions. Lohse is their Jon Garland. Many think that Shannon Stewart will actually be the first Twin to be dealt, possibly to the Yanks.

They need to relegate Ford to a bench or platoon role and go with youth. Let Kubel play when is fully healthy, deal Lohse-Silva-Radke and go with Santana, Baker and Liriano as the foundation for the future.

dakuda
05-14-2006, 06:15 PM
Mike Myers would be nice, but I don't see the local guy coming here anytime soon. Especially from the Yankees.

SoxSpeed22
05-14-2006, 06:45 PM
Even though this is ways away, my concerns are not only a crappy market. But because it is a crappy market, GMs will jack up the price. I don't want to have to give up Josh Fields or Ray Liotta for someone like Roberto Hernandez. I may be exaggerating a bit, but you get the idea.

ShoelessJoeS
05-14-2006, 06:51 PM
I for one am sick of all this trade Anderson/demote Anderson talk. He plays an almost immaculate CF. Not to hate on ARow, but Anderson has made some plays that make Rowand look like Carlos Lee. If he hovers around .200, that's fine with me. As of now, we don't need his bat, we need his D. Moving on, we need Bullpen help. Kenny's the man, and he'll get us the right man for the job.

Jjav829
05-14-2006, 10:48 PM
I for one am sick of all this trade Anderson/demote Anderson talk. He plays an almost immaculate CF. Not to hate on ARow, but Anderson has made some plays that make Rowand look like Carlos Lee. If he hovers around .200, that's fine with me. As of now, we don't need his bat, we need his D. Moving on, we need Bullpen help. Kenny's the man, and he'll get us the right man for the job.

No amount of defense will make up for hitting .180. If he's still around that mark come July, KW has to look for help in center.

TheOldRoman
05-14-2006, 11:06 PM
No amount of defense will make up for hitting .180. If he's still around that mark come July, KW has to look for help in center.
I disagree. Although I know Anderson will be batting much higher than .180 by then, I would still leave him in the starting lineup. First of all, his defense is incredible, and we aren't going to be able to easily replace that. Our offense is damn good as it is, so we can live with our 9 hitter hitting his weight. Our pitching needs a great CF more than our offense needs another great hitter.
He is our CF of the future, and he is at the point where dominating AAA for the rest of the year won't do anything to help him. He needs to face major league pitching.
A thought came to me last week - Aaron Rowand probably had the quietest .270 season you will ever see. By that I mean, he didn't come up with big hits. I could be wrong, but the only big hit I remember him coming up with was the homer in extras in San Diego. Anderson has come up with a few big hits so far. I believe that even if he hits .240 this year, he will come up with a handful of clutch hits.

I say stick with the kid unless his defense sags. Of course, my hypothetical situation accounts for the only possibilities for replacements being aging vets who are decent hitters. If we can get Carl Crawford or someone like him, you have to do it.

Optipessimism
05-14-2006, 11:42 PM

What about Uribe then?

I think KW is going to have enough to worry about as far as getting a reliable arm for the bullpen (preferably someone who can close if need be) as it is, let alone trying to pick up a top of the line position player.

Besides, who could we use as trade bait? Sweeney and Fields would be risky but could be done, Haeger, Broadway, Getz, Valido, Liotta, Rogo, Tracey? Could any combination of these guys net us a Miguel Tejada or Vernon Wells, and if so, how much of a risk would KW be willing to take? Because to me, it makes no sense to acquire a SS or CF unless we can pick up one of that caliber.

IMO, KW picks up a couple guys for the bullpen. I wouldn't put it past him to make a bid at an established veteran like Benitez or Baez, even though I doubt either would make us that much better.

mmmmmbeeer
05-15-2006, 12:05 AM
What about Uribe then?

I think KW is going to have enough to worry about as far as getting a reliable arm for the bullpen (preferably someone who can close if need be) as it is, let alone trying to pick up a top of the line position player.

Besides, who could we use as trade bait? Sweeney and Fields would be risky but could be done, Haeger, Broadway, Getz, Valido, Liotta, Rogo, Tracey? Could any combination of these guys net us a Miguel Tejada or Vernon Wells, and if so, how much of a risk would KW be willing to take? Because to me, it makes no sense to acquire a SS or CF unless we can pick up one of that caliber.

IMO, KW picks up a couple guys for the bullpen. I wouldn't put it past him to make a bid at an established veteran like Benitez or Baez, even though I doubt either would make us that much better.

I'd be really upset if Juanie isn't our starting SS come playoff time. Don't get me wrong, Tejada is an absolute stud, but Juan helps our pitchers out SO much that I never want to see him leave.

NorthSideSox72
05-15-2006, 09:32 AM
Who the Sox need:

No one.

palehozenychicty
05-15-2006, 09:50 AM

Pass. This guy has been a loser on every team. Regular season and postseason, he's given up runs and runs.

rdwj
05-15-2006, 09:57 AM

His hitting has been much more solid lately. He's putting together some good AB and hitting the ball pretty solid. There is NO WAY he's batting a buck eighty for long.

And honestly, do you watch our guys in the field or just when we're batting? BA plays a ROCK SOLID center.

PennStater98r
05-15-2006, 10:40 AM
/agree

Is this a WoW thing?

Frater Perdurabo
05-15-2006, 10:45 AM
Anderson should remain in the lineup simply for his defense. His glove helps the pitchers, around which KW has constructed this team.

The added offense at third (Crede's incredible improvement), catcher (A.J. .300+ average looks very nice right now), and DH (with all apologies to Everett, Thome's been a MASSIVE upgrade), gives the Sox the luxury to play TWO position players - Uribe and Anderson - at the bottom of the order just for their sterling defense.

In addition, Uribe and Anderson both have demonstrated an uncanny ability to come up with extremely clutch extra-base hits. Don't tell me what you hit; tell me when you hit it!

As was said before, the only way you make changes in either spot is if someone like, say, Alex Rodriguez, Vernon Wells or Miguel Tejada suddenly becomes available at low price.

The bullpen is where KW needs to focus his attention. As others have said, Jenks should never come in mid-inning, especially with runners on base, and should only pitch in save situations. Cotts and Politte (despite a couple of bad outings) also are reasonably reliable. Thornton has demonstated his usefulness as an overpowering situational lefty. McCarthy's rock-solid. Logan hasn't been terrible, but a solid veteran righty would be much more useful. I would be a fan of either Hernandez (Roberto or Orlando, as Foule You mentioned) taking a second tour with the Sox. El Duque in particular would be fantastic.

IMHO (and I can only base my opinions on the reports of our resident WSI expert scouts), my only "untoucable" minor league prospects would be Sweeney (future RF and lefty stick), Valido (future SS), Broadway (future SP) and maybe Tracey or Liotta.

Tragg
05-15-2006, 10:45 AM
I do think it would be really hard for Ryan to trade him to the Sox, though....and with them taking the first two, they still have a little hope left.

The Twins really need to just get rid of that salary.... For the salary he's making, they should be willing to trade Hunter and his .314 OBP and his "jump at every fly ball" defense for very little. That would allow the Twins to spread around that $12 million a lot better and make them a better team. That presumes they are out of the race, which they aren't yet...but they may be in 2 months.

We need a bullpen arm, but you shouldn't have to give up anything close to a top prospect for a bullpen arm at mid-season. Few of these available middle relievers are much of an upgrade over what we have, and if they are, it's usually for a short period....that's why they are middle relievers. WE were just fortunate last year to have 2 middle relievers who pitched amazing (Polite and Hermanson) and both had a starting pitcher history which suggests they are better than your averaage middle reliever anyway.

DaleJRFan
05-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Bullpen, bullpen, bullpen.

Lip

couldn't have said it better myself.

I'll take a solid second leftie:
Mike Gonzalez (PIT)
Brian Fuentes (COL)

And another quality rightie:
Luis Vizcaino (ARZ)
Scott Williamson (the Cub)

Gonzalez and Fuentes are approaching free agency, so maybe the Rockies and Pirates would part with their leftie closers. I guess I should have put them both in deep pink. Vizcaino and Williamson would be easily aquired. The new Washington owners have hinted at a firesale, wondering if there's anyone there worth a look? The scary thing is, some of the relief on teams that would/could be selling aren't any better than Logan and Thornton.

Any word on Jeff Nelson yet??

Chip Z'nuff
05-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Maybe its the monday morning cofee but i just got a splitting migrane reading this thread.

Why would the Phillies consider trading Rowand when they are 1 game out of first?
Do you honestly think the Twins would even consider a marquee trade in their own division!
The Pujols comment made me bang my head off the desk. That makes about as much sense as the Sox trading Thome.

Sorry, I feel better now.

Jjav829
05-15-2006, 11:42 AM
His hitting has been much more solid lately. He's putting together some good AB and hitting the ball pretty solid. There is NO WAY he's batting a buck eighty for long.

And honestly, do you watch our guys in the field or just when we're batting? BA plays a ROCK SOLID center.
Defense? Who the hell watches defense, man? I just like to watch guys hit long balls! After that, I usually flip channels during that whole "pitching" part of the inning.

I'll say it again, no amount of defense is worth anyone hitting .180, unless you're freaking Ozzie Smith out there. Now do I expect BA to hit .180 all year long? No. I've argued for BA staying put all year long because I believe he will improve and the past few weeks have done nothing but solidify my belief. But if you read the post in which I was responding to and not just my post (an integral part of reading message boards), my response was in reply to someone who claimed that they would be fine with BA hitting around .200 because of his defense. My assertion was based on that statement. This isn't the National League. You don't simply accept automatic outs at the bottom of your lineup. If BA is that automatic out in July (which, just to re-state, I don't believe he will be), then KW has to look for help. And if Uribe is still hitting .200 around that time - something I think is even less likely than BA hitting around that amount - then one of them has to be replaced in the lineup. Given the choice between the two, I'll take the guy who is in my opinion the best defensive shortstop in baseball and live with his lack of hitting.

I realize it's all hypothetical and that exact situation is highly unlikely to unfold. I'm simply saying that in that event, KW would need to find some help for the bottom of the order.

Chip Z'nuff
05-15-2006, 11:52 AM
And if Uribe is still hitting .200 around that time

The complete 2005 World Series Champion White Sox hit around .200
C *A.J. Pierzynski (http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/pierza.01.shtml) .257
1B Paul Konerko (http://www.baseball-reference.com/k/konerpa01.shtml) .283
2B Tadahito Iguchi (http://www.baseball-reference.com/i/iguchta01.shtml) .278
3B Joe Crede (http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/credejo01.shtml) .252
SS Juan Uribe (http://www.baseball-reference.com/u/uribeju01.shtml) .252
LF *Scott Podsednik (http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/podsesc01.shtml) .290
CF Aaron Rowand (http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/rowanaa01.shtml) .270
RF Jermaine Dye (http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/dyeje01.shtml) .274
DH #Carl Everett (http://www.baseball-reference.com/e/evereca01.shtml) .251

The only player who hit over .300 was Borchard with a .417 avg

Beautox
05-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Is this a WoW thing?

yes a WoW, FFXI, CS:S Thing. :smile: im a nerd.

Jjav829
05-15-2006, 11:56 AM
The complete 2005 World Series Champion White Sox hit around .200
C *A.J. Pierzynski (http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/pierza.01.shtml) .257
1B Paul Konerko (http://www.baseball-reference.com/k/konerpa01.shtml) .283
2B Tadahito Iguchi (http://www.baseball-reference.com/i/iguchta01.shtml) .278
3B Joe Crede (http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/credejo01.shtml) .252
SS Juan Uribe (http://www.baseball-reference.com/u/uribeju01.shtml) .252
LF *Scott Podsednik (http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/podsesc01.shtml) .290
CF Aaron Rowand (http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/rowanaa01.shtml) .270
RF Jermaine Dye (http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/dyeje01.shtml) .274
DH #Carl Everett (http://www.baseball-reference.com/e/evereca01.shtml) .251

The only player who hit over .300 was Borchard with a .417 avg
:?::o:Seriously?

Umm, hitting in the .200s does not qualify as hitting "around .200." Hitting "around .200" would mean within about 10 points of .200, not 50 or 70.

Hangar18
05-15-2006, 11:58 AM
We need BULLPEN help badly. Too bad we couldnt have picked up Matt Guerrier when the Pirates inexplicably RELEASED him. Thornton and Logan are good reasons we can lose this division

Chip Z'nuff
05-15-2006, 11:59 AM
:?::o:Seriously?

Umm, hitting in the .200s does not qualify as hitting "around .200." Hitting "around .200" would mean within about 10 points of .200, not 50 or 70.
My point is that we got to and won the series because of DEFENSE not OFFENSE. I can send you the tapes...

spiffie
05-15-2006, 12:01 PM
My point is that we won the series because of DEFENSE not OFFENSE. I can send you the tapes...
The 200 HR's had nothing to do with this team winning.

That said the only thing I would say other than bullpen help is that if the rumors about Cabrera being on the block in FL are true I would hope KW would be all over that. Will he cost prospects? Certainly, but this is the sort of player you dream about getting, a young player who is already all-star caliber. If that means some combo of Sweeney, Liotta, Fields, Broadway, or others, so be it I say. You don't get many chances to trade for a player that good and that young.

Jjav829
05-15-2006, 12:10 PM
My point is that we got to and won the series because of DEFENSE not OFFENSE. I can send you the tapes...
That was your point of saying that the entire team hit around .200? We won the World Series because our pitching staff was dominant when they needed to be. Oh, and our offense averaged 6 runs a game in games we won.

What I find funny is this assumption that if we were to replace BA because he was hitting .180, that our defense would somehow get much worse. You know, it is possible that if we did replace BA, our centerfield defense could remain top-notch or potentially get even better. What if BA's replacement was Torii Hunter (and for the love of God, don't turn this into a thread about whether Hunter would be worth it, I'm just throwing a name out there as an example)? It's not like we would be putting Juan Pierre in center just to upgrade the offense.

Hangar18
05-15-2006, 12:13 PM
We won the World Series because our pitching staff was dominant when they needed to be..

And we cannot continue with TWO rookies in the bullpen playing like theyre playing. They arent good.

Jjav829
05-15-2006, 12:14 PM
The Pujols comment made me bang my head off the desk. That makes about as much sense as the Sox trading Thome.

Oh God, please don't tell me you took that literally.

I'm gonna chalk this up to your coffee and it being Monday morning and excuse you for that because I honestly didn't think anyone would be dense enough to think I was being serious with the Pujols comment, hence the lack of teal.

Try reading it tomorrow or tonight. I'm sure at that point you will pick up on the complete lack of earnestness in that part of my post. :smile:

Please tell me everyone else got that I was joking...

Chip Z'nuff
05-15-2006, 12:17 PM
What I find funny is this assumption that if we were to replaced BA because he was hitting .180, that our defense would somehow get much worse. You know, it is possible that if we did replace BA, our centerfield defense could remain top-notch or potentially get even better. What if BA's replacement was Torii Hunter (and for the love of God, don't turn this into a thread about whether Hunter would be worth it, I'm just throwing a name out there as an example)? It's not like we would be putting Juan Pierre in center just to upgrade the offense.

I agree Tori would guarantee us a world series this year and probably one next year too. not because of his lifetime .260? average but because of his speed and defense.
(and even though we averaged 6 runs per game last year we won 20 brawls with three runs or less :tongue:)

Lip Man 1
05-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Hangar:

Help starts arriving in about ten days with Jeff Nelson. When he comes up, Boone goes down.

Lip

Chip Z'nuff
05-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Oh God, please don't tell me you took that literally.

I'm gonna chalk this up to your coffee and it being Monday morning and excuse you for that because I honestly didn't think anyone would be dense enough to think I was being serious with the Pujols comment, hence the lack of teal.

Try reading it tomorrow or tonight. I'm sure at that point you will pick up on the complete lack of earnestness in that part of my post. :smile:

Please tell me everyone else got that I was joking...

You're right I need a break. When does the game start!!!!

Jjav829
05-15-2006, 12:21 PM
You're right I need a break. When does the game start!!!!

40 minutes. :bandance:

Hangar18
05-15-2006, 12:25 PM
Hangar:

Help starts arriving in about ten days with Jeff Nelson. When he comes up, Boone goes down.

Lip

We do need a "veteran" to steady the bullpen and eat some innings .....
Whew

Frater Perdurabo
05-15-2006, 12:41 PM
What if BA's replacement was Torii Hunter (and for the love of God, don't turn this into a thread about whether Hunter would be worth it, I'm just throwing a name out there as an example)? It's not like we would be putting Juan Pierre in center just to upgrade the offense.

This reply is not to turn this into a Hunter debate, which we had in another thread in the last month (I'm too lazy to search for it) in which first-hand observers pointed out that Hunter's defense is overrated. Rather, I'm arguing that Anderson is a better option than Hunter for this season.

Specifically, Hunter almost always played deep, which allows him more time to get under high drives that he intercepts just over the wall (thereby preventing a half-dozen homers a year). He looks spectacular in doing so. But he's more sizzle than substance. There are countless batted balls that fall in front of him for singles that a CF like Brian Anderson might catch simply because Anderson plays up.

Because he is better defensively, Anderson can play closer to the infield, catch more soft liners for outs, make the hard plays look routine, and still get back to catch deeply hit balls. This singles he prevents through his play probably balance out the increased hits Hunter's .260 average might add.

Remember, at 500 at-bats, 130 hits gets a player a .260 average. Say Anderson finishes with 110 hits for a .220 average. He only has to catch 20 balls that Hunter would not to make it worthwhile even if he only hits .220. Plus, Anderson had a terrible April but is hitting a decent .241 in May. I'm inclined to believe he will continue at least at that pace for the rest of the year and finish around .230 or so.

Even if Anderson hits .200 for the entire season, I still believe that the Sox can stick with him simply because of his defense.

SBSoxFan
05-15-2006, 12:54 PM
We could get a lot for this guy though, if we really needed to shop around. He won the lottery, thats how he and his late wife donate all that money. Good man as far as I've heard.

I always wondered who he was ... and if he's looking to adopt!

Optipessimism
05-15-2006, 02:27 PM
That said the only thing I would say other than bullpen help is that if the rumors about Cabrera being on the block in FL are true I would hope KW would be all over that. Will he cost prospects?

Not to sound like Hawk, but where do you play him?

RF and trade Dye who has been terrific since coming here? How's his arm and OF defense compared to Jermaine?

Would you put him in LF and put Pods in CF, thus weakening our OF defense?

Do you put him at 3B and trade Crede, who has been not only super clutch at the plate but also in the field?

IMO, because of what we already have here, Cabrera doesn't make sense. He'll be making a buttload of money in a couple years and I don't think all the extra offense he'd bring would be enough to offset the downgrade in defense and all the talent we'd have to part with to get him.

Optipessimism
05-15-2006, 02:33 PM
This reply is not to turn this into a Hunter debate, which we had in another thread in the last month (I'm too lazy to search for it) in which first-hand observers pointed out that Hunter's defense is overrated. Rather, I'm arguing that Anderson is a better option than Hunter for this season.

Specifically, Hunter almost always played deep, which allows him more time to get under high drives that he intercepts just over the wall (thereby preventing a half-dozen homers a year). He looks spectacular in doing so. But he's more sizzle than substance. There are countless batted balls that fall in front of him for singles that a CF like Brian Anderson might catch simply because Anderson plays up.

Because he is better defensively, Anderson can play closer to the infield, catch more soft liners for outs, make the hard plays look routine, and still get back to catch deeply hit balls. This singles he prevents through his play probably balance out the increased hits Hunter's .260 average might add.

Remember, at 500 at-bats, 130 hits gets a player a .260 average. Say Anderson finishes with 110 hits for a .220 average. He only has to catch 20 balls that Hunter would not to make it worthwhile even if he only hits .220. Plus, Anderson had a terrible April but is hitting a decent .241 in May. I'm inclined to believe he will continue at least at that pace for the rest of the year and finish around .230 or so.

Even if Anderson hits .200 for the entire season, I still believe that the Sox can stick with him simply because of his defense.

Agreed. I don't know where all this Toriiiii Hunter talk is coming from. Unless the Twins are willing to eat more than half of his salary and trade him to us for a couple midlevel minor leaguers, this isn't happening. And even if for some crazy reason JR decided to give KW an unlimited payroll to play with and the Sox put together the best overall package, Minny still wouldn't trade him here.

Not only is Anderson the better option, but he's probably the only viable option.

miker
05-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Only at WSI could a discussion about trades turn into a mini-skirmish about dear Alex and Ursula Snelius....:rolleyes:

By the way, we need relief pitching.

0o0o0
05-16-2006, 09:26 AM
how can u say that about a guy whose wife died, and has been donating money to WSC in honor of her sense
:rolleyes: Yeah i know his story. What, do you think I actually want him traded? He's not on the roster.
Jokingly throwing his name into a nonsensical trade doesn't mean that I don't like him. I mentioned trading Singleton too, and I really don't mind him. It's called playing along. I also said to trade the "crew" from the telecasts. I guess that means I really hate watching sox games too.

0o0o0
05-16-2006, 09:28 AM
Oh yeah, I like the idea if getting Vizcaino back. He was pretty consistent, for the most part, while he was with us.

spiffie
05-16-2006, 10:34 AM
Not to sound like Hawk, but where do you play him?

RF and trade Dye who has been terrific since coming here? How's his arm and OF defense compared to Jermaine?

Would you put him in LF and put Pods in CF, thus weakening our OF defense?

Do you put him at 3B and trade Crede, who has been not only super clutch at the plate but also in the field?

IMO, because of what we already have here, Cabrera doesn't make sense. He'll be making a buttload of money in a couple years and I don't think all the extra offense he'd bring would be enough to offset the downgrade in defense and all the talent we'd have to part with to get him.
Put him in LF, put Pods in center, and I'm willing to risk that his 340/435/600 line would more than suffice for the couple of runs we would lose here and there with Pods in center. The amount of 23 yr old all stars who you would control for 3 years before FA is not exactly a huge number. If a player like that is out there you make accomodations for him. And if in that final year you control him you don't want to pay him the big bucks he'll likely bring an even bigger return in trade since unlike the Marlins we probably won't be in Fire Sale mode so teams will have to meet our very high price to get him. Either way, you're looking at a lineup this year of:
Podsednik - CF
Iguchi - 2B
Thome - DH
Konerko - 1B
Cabrera - LF
Dye - RF
Pierzynski - C
Crede - 3B
Uribe - SS

You run that lineup out there with our 5 starters and there's nothing short of the 27 Yankees and a pitching staff with 5 Sandy Koufax clones stopping this team.

Berkules
05-16-2006, 01:15 PM
I really like Mike Myers
Wayne's World was hilarious

DaleJRFan
05-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Put him in LF, put Pods in center, and I'm willing to risk that his 340/435/600 line would more than suffice for the couple of runs we would lose here and there with Pods in center. The amount of 23 yr old all stars who you would control for 3 years before FA is not exactly a huge number. If a player like that is out there you make accomodations for him. And if in that final year you control him you don't want to pay him the big bucks he'll likely bring an even bigger return in trade since unlike the Marlins we probably won't be in Fire Sale mode so teams will have to meet our very high price to get him. Either way, you're looking at a lineup this year of:
Podsednik - CF
Iguchi - 2B
Thome - DH
Konerko - 1B
Cabrera - LF
Dye - RF
Pierzynski - C
Crede - 3B
Uribe - SS

You run that lineup out there with our 5 starters and there's nothing short of the 27 Yankees and a pitching staff with 5 Sandy Koufax clones stopping this team.

:?: Wha'?? You are kidding, right? First off, the Marlins aren't trading Cabrera any time soon. He still makes, what... 440k a year? He'll be in Florida for at least one more full season. Secondly, Cabrera is one of the worst fielding outfielders in the history of baseball. AND Pods in CF? This significantly weakens the defense and as a result, weakens the pitching as well. No thanks. Cabrera would have to put up Pujols type numbers to even out the gaping hole he would create in leftfield defense as well as the hole moving Pods would create in centerfield defense.

I'll take my chances with Anderson - at least he takes pitches and has an idea of where the strike zone is located. Its Uribe I'd be looking to replace.

Garland + Uribe + (insert prospect here) for Tejada! :o:

(somewhere on the internet, Orioles fans are laughing...) :cool:

SouthsideChi
05-16-2006, 02:17 PM
IMO, Jeff Nelson will dramatically help the bullpen. Logan gets sent down in favor of Nelson and eventually they will bring up Lopez to get a chance as the second lefty because of his microscopic .44 ERA in AAA. IF they don't pan out I wouldn't doubt that KW trades for either Vizcaino/Duque to be the long reliever out of the pen, and I really wouldn't mind acquiring a guy like Will Ohman from the cubs.

Hawkeroo1980
05-16-2006, 03:24 PM
:?: Wha'?? You are kidding, right? First off, the Marlins aren't trading Cabrera any time soon. He still makes, what... 440k a year? He'll be in Florida for at least one more full season. Secondly, Cabrera is one of the worst fielding outfielders in the history of baseball. AND Pods in CF? This significantly weakens the defense and as a result, weakens the pitching as well. No thanks. Cabrera would have to put up Pujols type numbers to even out the gaping hole he would create in leftfield defense as well as the hole moving Pods would create in centerfield defense.

I'll take my chances with Anderson - at least he takes pitches and has an idea of where the strike zone is located. Its Uribe I'd be looking to replace.

Garland + Uribe + (insert prospect here) for Tejada! :o:

(somewhere on the internet, Orioles fans are laughing...) :cool:

i hope you never become GM for the Sox

just because Garland has been in a rough stretch THE FIRST 5-6 WEEKS OF THE SEASON means you want to ship him and one of our best defensive infielders (possible top five in baseball) for a ego-driven ass-bag?

No thank you......just stick with pitching. We need bullpen help. I agree with a previous poster.....go and grab El Duque. Problem is...AZ isn't too bad right now so why would they be sellers. You "fine-tune" a team like the white sox---you don't make drastic changes. On paper, the yankees should win it all every year because of the talent that they sign/trade for, but they don't.

DaleJRFan
05-16-2006, 03:30 PM

:?: Ugh.

Evidentially, you missed that IT WAS A JOKE. See my earlier posts in this thread. BULLPEN, BULLPEN, BULLPEN.

Hawkeroo1980
05-16-2006, 03:41 PM
:?: Ugh.

Evidentially, you missed that IT WAS A JOKE. See my earlier posts in this thread. BULLPEN, BULLPEN, BULLPEN.

oh

hold2dibber
05-16-2006, 04:00 PM

just because Garland has been in a rough stretch THE FIRST 5-6 WEEKS OF THE SEASON means you want to ship him and one of our best defensive infielders (possible top five in baseball) for a ego-driven ass-bag?

Why the diss of Tejada? I've never heard anything other than he's a great teammate, gives maximum effort and desparately wants to win. Why do you think otherwise?

No thank you......just stick with pitching. We need bullpen help. I agree with a previous poster.....go and grab El Duque. Problem is...AZ isn't too bad right now so why would they be sellers. You "fine-tune" a team like the white sox---you don't make drastic changes. On paper, the yankees should win it all every year because of the talent that they sign/trade for, but they don't.

I'm all for more bullpen help, but I don't understand the El Duque sentiment. He's been getting hammered this year. Adding a guy with a 7 plus ERA doesn't seem to me to be the best idea. Why not get someone who's actually pitching well this year?

sullythered
05-16-2006, 04:13 PM
I don't understand the El Duque sentiment.

Yeah, it's a mystery. Maybe it has something to do with some bullpen performace from his past... who knows...

balke
05-16-2006, 04:27 PM
El Duque for the pen. All you have to do is watch the tape from the Boston series, then you'll know why.

NorthSideSox72
05-16-2006, 04:36 PM
...wait, checking again... Best record in baseball... Team ERA is fine... defense good... offense excellent...

Nope, still don't need anyone.

hold2dibber
05-16-2006, 06:47 PM
El Duque for the pen. All you have to do is watch the tape from the Boston series, then you'll know why.

C'mon, that's ridiculous. Based upon that logic, all you have to do is look at tape from Troy Percival's performance in the World Series in '02 to know why the Sox should try to trade for him, too!

El Duque had one amazing, historic inning in the Boston series. I'll never forget it as long as I live, and I'll always have a soft spot for the guy because of it. But he's been horse meat this year, he wasn't very good most of last year and bringing him back only to see him get shelled this year would simply sully all of our memories of his performance in Boston. Leave well enough alone. I agree that some additional bullpen help would be nice to have, but to make a decision on bullpen help this year based upon a single inning of bullpen work last year, while entirely ignoring this year's performance, is absolutely nuts.

balke
05-16-2006, 07:21 PM
C'mon, that's ridiculous. Based upon that logic, all you have to do is look at tape from Troy Percival's performance in the World Series in '02 to know why the Sox should try to trade for him, too!

El Duque had one amazing, historic inning in the Boston series. I'll never forget it as long as I live, and I'll always have a soft spot for the guy because of it. But he's been horse meat this year, he wasn't very good most of last year and bringing him back only to see him get shelled this year would simply sully all of our memories of his performance in Boston. Leave well enough alone. I agree that some additional bullpen help would be nice to have, but to make a decision on bullpen help this year based upon a single inning of bullpen work last year, while entirely ignoring this year's performance, is absolutely nuts.
He was great in the bullpen last year. He would give the bullpen some versatility and add a veteran long reliever. If he's cheap, Sox would be dumb not to give him one more go. He obviously shows up for the big game, what more could you ask for in a bullpen arm? To me, he sucks as a starter, but I'd give him the ball in just about any situation if he's only gotta give an inning or 2. Not to mention he fits in nicely with a couple players already on our staff. Go off this years statistics all you want, I contend he'd be a completely different pitcher in our bullpen, back under Coop's watch.

Epark84
05-16-2006, 08:32 PM

agreed, might as well let the pitcher hit

Optipessimism
05-16-2006, 09:02 PM

"Ego-driven ass-bag"?

How about best overall SS (currently playing SS) in the AL? I'd love to have him.

kwolf68
05-16-2006, 10:01 PM
Uribe is going to come out of his slump. He's done it before and he'll do it again.

Helluva game tonight...I almost cut it off.

1 Dog
05-16-2006, 10:04 PM
The wonderful thing: the Sox are finally at a point where they may not need a trade.

The bad thing: few AL teams will be willing to deal.

As others have mentioned or intimated, even the "struggling" White Sox pitchers are playing better than your typical 3rd-5th NL starter. (Examples: anyone on the Cubs not named "Greg.")

If a proven set-up man or closer becomes available, KW needs to get serious. Until then, I don't see any players that the Sox "have to have" right now.

Anderson's value to the team may be underrated. Most pitchers would rather give up the occasional HR than a couple of "looked like a line drive in the box score" hits per game.

Lip Man 1
05-16-2006, 11:01 PM
Ummm 1 dog...'not need a trade?'

Obviously you wrote this before Tuesday night's game didn't you?

Lip

markopat
05-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Middle Relief...:gulp:

Chips
05-16-2006, 11:28 PM
Middle Relief...:gulp:

Our biggest and only concern.:gulp:

1 Dog
05-16-2006, 11:34 PM
Ummm 1 dog...'not need a trade?'

Obviously you wrote this before Tuesday night's game didn't you?

Lip

I wasn't aware that Logan blew up (again) until a few minutes ago. Ouch. If Nelson comes back very soon and replaces Logan on the roster, then the Sox may not need to trade immediately. If Contreras doesn't come back strong over the weekend, the picture changes quite a bit.

My real concern is who can the Sox get? No one has enough pitching, and many other teams are carrying relievers who belong in the minors. Most middle relievers are in that role because they failed in the others.

I am nervous because I've seen too many great teams broken up when they only needed another player or two. Obviously, KW isn't Hendry or Isaiah Thomas (KW has actually built a great team), but cautious optimism may be the right approach with a team tied for best record in the majors.

ndu3t4
05-16-2006, 11:55 PM
We need two things, relief, and a starting spot for Mac. I love Jon Garland, but we need to give something to get something. Shipping Jon off to another team for some top notch relief would free up a spot for Brandon and give help to the pen.

balke
05-17-2006, 12:29 AM
We need two things, relief, and a starting spot for Mac. I love Jon Garland, but we need to give something to get something. Shipping Jon off to another team for some top notch relief would free up a spot for Brandon and give help to the pen.

I think he showed tonight that he's not ready for a starting job just yet. Jon Garland is going to be fine, people need to stop with the naysaying. He's a 15 game winner who is flat out dominant when he keeps the ball low in the zone. Brandon is the most solid reliever we have right now, and is perfect as a long reliever for the Sox.

The main thing for the Sox, they're gonna have to find someone for nothing at the deadline, cause the team is good enough where they don't really wanna lose any players from the starting lineup. An overpaid/underperformer is gonna have to come in to help the Sox pen. That's still far away though. Kenny will work it all out when the time comes.

Lip Man 1
05-17-2006, 01:18 AM
Granted it's very, very early to make trades but it's not impossible. Already teams are done, cooked, stick a fork in them.

I can think of Kansas City, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, the Cubs, right off the top of my head.

Lip

getonbckthr
05-17-2006, 01:28 AM
Personally once we add Nelson, and I have faith in Thornton I think our pen will be ok. Also don't forget supposedly Hermanson could be back as soon as mid-June. Honestly I don't think we need anything the only way I would make a deal would be A) as much as I love 44 if we can add Carl Crawford or Vernon Wells, B) Tejada, C) John Garland and prospects for Roy Oswalt is possible. Serious question here though lets say Thornton straightens things out, Nelson performs as we expect and Hermanson comes back would you consider doing a Mccarthy or Garland,Uribe and Haegar for Tejada or Mccarthy or Garland, Anderson for Crawford or Vernon Wells? Last thing I want no part of Torri Hunter here. Makes too much money for just great defense we have our own Torii Hunter here in Brian Anderson for about 11.5 million less.

Chips
05-17-2006, 01:37 AM
Personally once we add Nelson, and I have faith in Thornton I think our pen will be ok. Also don't forget supposedly Hermanson could be back as soon as mid-June. Honestly I don't think we need anything the only way I would make a deal would be A) as much as I love 44 if we can add Carl Crawford or Vernon Wells, B) Tejada, C) John Garland and prospects for Roy Oswalt is possible. Serious question here though lets say Thornton straightens things out, Nelson performs as we expect and Hermanson comes back would you consider doing a Mccarthy or Garland,Uribe and Haegar for Tejada or Mccarthy or Garland, Anderson for Crawford or Vernon Wells? Last thing I want no part of Torri Hunter here. Makes too much money for just great defense we have our own Torii Hunter here in Brian Anderson for about 11.5 million less.

I think Anderson will be fine. He has great defense, and he seems to be hitting the ball much better. I wouldn't mind trading Garland while his stock is still high for a stud starter like Oswalt. But right now, some bullpen help would be nice.

hold2dibber
05-17-2006, 12:59 PM
I think Anderson will be fine. He has great defense, and he seems to be hitting the ball much better. I wouldn't mind trading Garland while his stock is still high for a stud starter like Oswalt. But right now, some bullpen help would be nice.

Deeppink for pipedreams, man. His stock ain't that high (not even close).

Pierzynski 12
05-17-2006, 01:02 PM
Yea lets keep a #9 hitter hitting below .200. Because he plays great defense.:rolleyes:

miker
05-17-2006, 01:02 PM
What do we need? More bullpen!

jenn2080
05-17-2006, 01:39 PM
What do we need? More bullpen!

Can i get an AMEN?!?! Anderson will be fine.

getonbckthr
05-17-2006, 02:40 PM
Yea lets keep a #9 hitter hitting below .200. Because he plays great defense.:rolleyes:
Yea lets.:nod:

TheOldRoman
05-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Yeah, because centerfield defense is SO overrated. Besides that, our offense is horrible and needs to spark that only a 9 hitter can provide.:rolleyes:

The Big Squirt
05-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Geoff Blum!!!

It worked last year! :D:

voodoochile
05-17-2006, 10:45 PM

If it were that kind of an issue, couldn't they just play Mackowiak and let Anderson go to the 4th OF position?

Then there is Sweeney who is tearing it up in AAA as an option too.

I mean with all the current ways to fix CF that don't require a trade and will be every bit as good as anything you can trade for, why are you worried about it?

If anything needs help, its the bullpen. I just hope they don't trade Fields until the off season because he is going to bring a LOT more value than a reliever.

1 Dog
05-17-2006, 10:55 PM
If this has been done to death before, I apologize.

MLB is coming up on another CBA negotiation. Two of the last three CBAs in the other sports have been major shake-ups. (The NHL has a salary cap now, for example.)

I could see a lot of teams taking a "wait and see" approach this year.

Let's take a look at a team like the Marlins. They could deal Willis and/or Cabrera at the last possible second, just like any other season. They could also be sold, moved, and stripped for the first season of a new revenue-sharing system (or even some sort of cap or floor).

santo=dorf
05-17-2006, 11:06 PM
:rolleyes:

The guys is still hurt, 50 years old, and pissed and moaned about going to bullpen before being traded to the D'Backs. KW was not happy with his health issues last season after he was convinced he was good to go in Spring Training.

Some of you really need to let go of that one inning. That performance says NOTHING of his 2006 season.

Get Vizcaino or Williamson.

santo=dorf
05-17-2006, 11:09 PM
He was great in the bullpen last year.
Please.

He pitched two whopping innings out of the BP during the regular season, both during garbage time AFTER the Sox won the division. He also nearly blew game 4 of the World Series.

He's done.

Tragg
05-17-2006, 11:09 PM
We need a middle reliever; if we can't find one in-house, we can pick one up for "2 donkeys and a mule" in July.

If we weren't willing to absorb the risk of Anderson's O, then we should have either kept Rowand or found another CF in the winter. We didn't, so we're willing. Beats putting Pods in center, which would be a really bad move. O hasn't been a problem for this team anyway.

thomas35forever
05-17-2006, 11:58 PM
Bullpen help. No question.

santo=dorf
05-18-2006, 07:10 AM
Bullpen help. No question.
Some of you are missing the question.

It's "who?" Not "what?"

Big difference.

SouthSide2Ship
05-19-2006, 03:59 AM
I really like Mike Myers

austin powers???:dtroll:

Saddlebags05
05-19-2006, 07:24 PM
I think we should trade crede, and garland to the yanks, get may-rod, and then trade uribe and vasquez to the orioles and get Miguel 'B-12' Tejada. We'd be, unbreakable.

pmck003
05-19-2006, 09:15 PM
If this has been done to death before, I apologize.

MLB is coming up on another CBA negotiation. Two of the last three CBAs in the other sports have been major shake-ups. (The NHL has a salary cap now, for example.)

I could see a lot of teams taking a "wait and see" approach this year.

Let's take a look at a team like the Marlins. They could deal Willis and/or Cabrera at the last possible second, just like any other season. They could also be sold, moved, and stripped for the first season of a new revenue-sharing system (or even some sort of cap or floor).

Curious to know what everyone thinks about Willis. Is he worth a big package if we could sign him long term? It looks like his contract is done at the end of this year. He had a few recent bad outings, but I remember seeing some reports on espn showing him being upset about peing pulled from games and the such - maybe he is unhappy in flordia?

I don't think there are any relivers I would want from the marlins. Looks like there are some that are pretty young and I don't know anything about though.

ChiSoxLifer
05-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Curious to know what everyone thinks about Willis. Is he worth a big package if we could sign him long term? It looks like his contract is done at the end of this year. He had a few recent bad outings, but I remember seeing some reports on espn showing him being upset about peing pulled from games and the such - maybe he is unhappy in flordia?

I don't think there are any relivers I would want from the marlins. Looks like there are some that are pretty young and I don't know anything about though.

Where's he going to play?

pmck003
05-19-2006, 09:42 PM
Where's he going to play?

That too - I assume it would want either McCarthy or Garland as part of the trade, but...

kwkonsl
05-19-2006, 11:47 PM

Jon Garland and Contreras both have a no trade clause in their contracts for this season. It was part of both of their extensions in the off season. The only way we are going to get bull pen help is if we trad eminor league talent.

polishsoxfan23
05-20-2006, 02:03 AM
i would like to see more arms in the bullpen

MRM
05-20-2006, 05:48 PM
The ONLY thing the Sox are lacking right now is relief pitching and no way I'd trade anything significant for that. If they want to add payroll "maybe" make a move for another outfielder...Can you imagine Pods moving back to center field? If so, what kind of difference would Soriano make in left :D:' Wow! talk about an offense.

Seriously, this is the best White Sox team I've ever seen. Easily better than last years team which, in my opinion, wasn't as good as the '83 team.

GOGOGOPODS
05-26-2006, 01:17 PM
The only thing that bothers me is the bullpen. We might as well get one more bullpen guy out there, i mean its better to have more insurance than having no insurance. If Kenny makes a move, it wont be anything big. It will be more of the lines of Geoff Blum.

palehozenychicty
05-26-2006, 01:19 PM

farnsworth is gascan 2.0. stay far, far away!

:o:

VenturaSoxFan23
05-26-2006, 01:33 PM
I would find it really funny to read this in the sports transactions page:

NEW YORK YANKEES-Traded Mike Myers to the Chicago White Sox for Ray Liotta. :D:

Frater Perdurabo
05-26-2006, 01:35 PM
The bullpen seems to be rounding into form. Jenks, Thornton, McCarthy, Politte and Cotts seem to be fine. The only question mark is whether Nelson can serve as a decent middle reliever. In any case, Nelson needs and deserves a few weeks to demonstrate to KW if he is or is not the answer. In the meantime, Kenny has the luxury of waiting.

Just because the Tigers are padding their record right now by beating up on the likes of KC, Minny and Cleveland is not enough reason to make a panic-stricken move, especially when the Sox are playing .667 ball themselves and just swept Oakland. As long as the Sox keep playing this well, and stay within three or four games of the Tigers, there is no reason to make a move just for the sake of making a move.

SoxFan64
05-26-2006, 07:12 PM

I always wondered about this guy and then I read his story. Sounds like he is the real deal. He is off the block. Now the M&M Guy ........ oh heck we'll keep him too.

SOXSINCE'70
05-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Right now,I see 3 needs:

Bullpen,bullpen and bullpen.

miker
05-26-2006, 09:14 PM
The bullpen seems to be rounding into form. Jenks, Thornton, McCarthy, Politte and Cotts seem to be fine. The only question mark is whether Nelson can serve as a decent middle reliever. In any case, Nelson needs and deserves a few weeks to demonstrate to KW if he is or is not the answer. In the meantime, Kenny has the luxury of waiting.
Good analysis, but I still would be happier with even a little more bullpen depth...and for Uribe or Anderson to start hitting a little more!

SOXSINCE'70
05-26-2006, 09:16 PM
NEW YORK YANKEES-Traded Mike Myers to the Chicago White Sox for Ray Liotta. :D:

Can the Sox also get the spirit of Babe Ruth?? Not to mention
Robert Redford's "Wonder Bat" from "The Natural?? Aw hell,just
throw Roy Hobbs into the deal.:roflmao: :roflmao: