PDA

View Full Version : 65% of Minnesota agrees

SouthSide_HitMen
05-13-2006, 01:27 PM
http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S16192.html?cat=7

Stadium poll shows Minnesotans' thoughts

Regarding the question if referendums should be held before any sales taxes are imposed, 63 percent said yes, and 30 percent said no.

When asked if taxpayer money should be used to fund stadiums, respondents said no by a ratio of more than two to one.

:thumbsup:

Chips
05-13-2006, 01:32 PM
The Twins need a new stadium, maybe the Vikings on their way to LA?

samram
05-13-2006, 06:39 PM
http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S16192.html?cat=7

Stadium poll shows Minnesotans' thoughts

Regarding the question if referendums should be held before any sales taxes are imposed, 63 percent said yes, and 30 percent said no.

When asked if taxpayer money should be used to fund stadiums, respondents said no by a ratio of more than two to one.

:thumbsup:

Those referenda won't necessarily mean anything. Here in Charlotte, they held a referendum about whether to raise property taxes to fund a new arena for the Bobcats. It was roundly rejected, but the city went ahead and raised the tax anyway (property taxes are skyrocketing in Charlotte and Mecklenburg County). Furthermore, now Bob Johnson has the gall to charge city schools a fee to have graduation ceremonies at the arena. What a joke.

SouthSide_HitMen
05-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Those referenda won't necessarily mean anything. Here in Charlotte, they held a referendum about whether to raise property taxes to fund a new arena for the Bobcats. It was roundly rejected, but the city went ahead and raised the tax anyway (property taxes are skyrocketing in Charlotte and Mecklenburg County). Furthermore, now Bob Johnson has the gall to charge city schools a fee to have graduation ceremonies at the arena. What a joke.

In Minnesota, a tax referendum is specifically required to raise the sales tax (but IIRC there is one way to get around it). I agree though as long as the general public continues to vote in representatives who vote against the wishes of their constituents, expect the corporate welfare to continue.

I hope the members of Charlotte boycott / do not support this team as they did the last one.

samram
05-13-2006, 07:10 PM
In Minnesota, a tax referendum is specifically required to raise the sales tax (but IIRC there is one way to get around it). I agree though as long as the general public continues to vote in representatives who vote against the wishes of their constituents, expect the corporate welfare to continue.

I hope the members of Charlotte boycott / do not support this team as they did the last one.

Well, I think attendance was ok this year, for a new arena, it was awful. I walked up and bought tickets from guys on the street for $10 numerous times. They also lowered season ticket prices for many areas of the arena. It wouldn't surprise me if the Bobcats were gone within 10 years.