Daver
07-29-2001, 11:46 AM
Keith wants a 4 year deal

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/291sd6.htm

Think he'll get it?

voodoochile
07-29-2001, 12:00 PM
Depends on how much mony he wants...

4 years, up to 24 million the Sox have to consider it, IMO. However, if he is looking for Magglio money, buh-bye. It isn't like the Sox are not going to be short of relief help in the coming years. There will have to be room for some of these guys somewhere. Besides, don't we get 4 guys back next year, at least two of whom have closer aspirations (Barcelo and Osuna). Garland said he is willing to stay in the pen, maybe he gets a crack at the job. With his combination of 95 MPH fastball, slider and sinker, he could be real good. I'd still rather see him start, but if it becomes necessary...

cheeses_h_rice
07-29-2001, 12:07 PM
Garland shouldn't be wasted in a closer's role...I think he'll develop into a serviceable starter as he gains experience.

Is Osuna suited for a set-up or closer role? He was here so briefly I honestly don't remember much about his stuff -- a blazing fastball and...?

Foulke should be a solid pitcher for at least 4 years, so if the Sox can lock him up at $6-$7M/per, I say they should do it. Paying more than about $8M a year for a closer is something only a few teams (like the Yankees) can afford.

Hey VC, why the long absence from this board?

voodoochile
07-29-2001, 12:16 PM
I agree about Garland, but it is something to think about if he continues to struggle as a starter and do well in the bullpen.

As to my absence, no particular reason... I will be around more now, but not as much as I used to be... Too busy...