PDA

View Full Version : Podsednik doesn't play = LOSS?

lizard6king6
05-13-2006, 01:30 AM
For some reason, it seems everytime Podsednik sits we lose. I havent looked at the official win/loss with him playing and sitting but it seems when he sits we lose. Anyone else notice this? (Im sure theres many other factors why we lose but this one sticks out to me)

Chicken Dinner
05-13-2006, 01:33 AM
Ozuna was 2 for 4 tonight.

oeo
05-13-2006, 01:37 AM
Ozuna was 2 for 4 tonight.

Exactly, it seemed to me that Ozuna was the only one who could get something going tonight.

Nellie_Fox
05-13-2006, 02:10 AM
If anything, it was a good night to give AJ a night off along with Podsednik. He has no prayer against a lefthander like Santana.

skobabe8
05-13-2006, 02:34 AM
If any stats proved that JG pitches shutouts when Scotty plays you might have something here, but...

MUsoxfan
05-13-2006, 02:40 AM
I'd love it if Scott could have had 9 rbi's tonight. I suspect that would be a tall order for him

Erik The Red
05-13-2006, 04:59 AM
(Im sure theres many other factors why we lose but this one sticks out to me)
Uh, like Jon Garland sucking?

soxfan1983
05-13-2006, 06:18 AM
Uh, like Jon Garland sucking?

yea seriously.... he should be moved down to the 5th starter role and put vasquez 4th
hes been pitching lights out

bnlfanmatt
05-13-2006, 09:36 AM
For some reason, it seems everytime Podsednik sits we lose. I havent looked at the official win/loss with him playing and sitting but it seems when he sits we lose. Anyone else notice this? (Im sure theres many other factors why we lose but this one sticks out to me)

It looks like with Pods getting an AB, the record is 23-6. When Pods doesn't get an AB, the record is 0-5. (There was one game where he came in as a defensive replacement, didn't get an AB, and the Sox lost, so if you were to say when he's played, it's 23-7, and when he hasn't played, it's 0-4.)

Let's keep him in there and go .793 the rest of the year! 124-38!

That being said, I believe it's probably a factor, as well as the pitching, other hitters, etc. Didn't the team seem to suffer when he was injured last year?

goldglovesox
05-13-2006, 09:56 AM
yea seriously.... he should be moved down to the 5th starter role and put vasquez 4th

What is the difference. The Sox dont skip starts anyway. Everyone will wind up with the same amount of starts basically. The rotation isnt like the batting order you dont drop and bump guys around the rotation when you have 5 starters. If a guy is good enough to be in your rotation then it doesnt matter where he throws.

veeter
05-13-2006, 10:16 AM
I agree 100%. It's not that Scotty would have made a physical difference last night. But when he plays, they win. He's like a rabbit's foot or something. I think Scott is a very UNDERRATED player, but his presence goes beyond his play. It's like when he's out there, everything is the way it should be. It's a zen thing.

Ol' No. 2
05-13-2006, 10:30 AM
If anything, it was a good night to give AJ a night off along with Podsednik. He has no prayer against a lefthander like Santana.Actually, lefties hit Santana significantly better than righties.

Linky (http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_player_splits.jsp?c_id=min&playerID=276371&sitSplit1=All&statType=2&splitSet=1&statSet=1)

Ol' No. 2
05-13-2006, 10:32 AM
I agree 100%. It's not that Scotty would have made a physical difference last night. But when he plays, they win. He's like a rabbit's foot or something. I think Scott is a very UNDERRATED player, but his presence goes beyond his play. It's like when he's out there, everything is the way it should be. It's a zen thing.Good grief. Correlation does not equal cause and effect. The Sox don't do well against LHP, which just by coincidence, is when Podsednik doesn't play.

lizard6king6
05-13-2006, 11:00 AM
I agree 100%. It's not that Scotty would have made a physical difference last night. But when he plays, they win. He's like a rabbit's foot or something. I think Scott is a very UNDERRATED player, but his presence goes beyond his play. It's like when he's out there, everything is the way it should be. It's a zen thing.
This is what I think, Im not saying Pablo is bad because hes not. Pods just brings a presence that boost the team. I also think back to last year during the second half of the season, Pods got hurt and we started losing a little bit more. I know hes not the whole factor or reason but like said he just brings something special when he plays.

miker
05-13-2006, 11:12 AM
It looks like with Pods getting an AB, the record is 23-6. When Pods doesn't get an AB, the record is 0-5. (There was one game where he came in as a defensive replacement, didn't get an AB, and the Sox lost, so if you were to say when he's played, it's 23-7, and when he hasn't played, it's 0-4.)
Wait, when I was on these boards when he was going 0-for-April, everyone said Pods sucked!

IlliniSox4Life
05-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Good grief. Correlation does not equal cause and effect. The Sox don't do well against LHP, which just by coincidence, is when Podsednik doesn't play.

Thank you. It's about time people understand this.

hawkjt
05-13-2006, 01:01 PM
The way that Hawk and DJ are constantly opining that leftys have a better chance against Santana, I wish they would get an e-mail asking why ozzie does not go with a lefty heavy lineup against Santana one of these times.

Hawk would never question Ozzie openly but the way he keeps insisting that leftys have a better chance and then looking at the righty heavy lineups makes one think he should ask the question anyway.

They could hardly do worse.

oeo
05-13-2006, 01:02 PM
I'm pretty sure the Twinkies changed their rotation so we had Johan last night, and if it wasn't for the cancellation the other day, Vazquez would have pitched. Not a big deal, teams are going to put their best against us and we're just going to keep going 1-5.

Optipessimism
05-13-2006, 02:50 PM
More like facing Santana = loss. IMO, Vazquez and Jose are the only ones who can really give us a chance.

oeo
05-13-2006, 03:24 PM
More like facing Santana = loss. IMO, Vazquez and Jose are the only ones who can really give us a chance.

Huh? Did you miss that stellar game by Mark Buehrle against Santana last month? Buehrle has had 3 bad starts, why is he losing respect? IMO, he's the one guy who can go out there and do what needs to be done when we need him. Just watch him Sunday, he will be on top of his game.

TDog
05-13-2006, 04:11 PM

You mean, pitch Garland tonight when the fifth spot in the rotation is coming up and don't pitch Vasquez for another four games?

The whole 1-2-3-4-5 starter designation is arbitrary if you have a real rotation. Last year Garland pitched the fifth game of the seaon and the third game of both the ALCS and World Series, so maybe on the average he's a No. 4 starter. Pitchers pitch in order, getting the needed rest between starts. Some pitchers are hot. Garland will have better games. Buehrle will have better games than he's pitched lately. Some pitchers are not. Vasquez and Contreras have been the best starters for the Sox recently, although Contreras is out. If you want to call them the number 1 and 2 starters, starting after the d 4 and 5 starters, it's up to you.

Even after the All-Star break, you won't get a 1-5 rotation based on your criteria if anyone pitches in the All-Star game. Even if Ozzie feels he doesn't want to waste any of his pitching there, who pitches coming out of the break may be a combination of rest and matchups.

Garland will win some games in the rotation this year, pitching when it's his turn. They all will.

TomParrish79
05-13-2006, 04:34 PM
does where you pitch in the rotation really matter after you make a couple of starts??

Johnny Mostil
05-13-2006, 05:18 PM
does where you pitch in the rotation really matter after you make a couple of starts??

Didn't Ozzie (or somebody else?) even say at one point last year that the #1 pitcher in the rotation was the starter for the next game?

Ol' No. 2's comments caused me to look at Podsednik's stats. As I'm guessing he knew, Pods is batting .194 against lefties and .300 against righties. Zen, indeed . . .

Scotty PoPo
05-14-2006, 11:20 PM
scotty is magic

Optipessimism
05-14-2006, 11:33 PM
Huh? Did you miss that stellar game by Mark Buehrle against Santana last month? Buehrle has had 3 bad starts, why is he losing respect? IMO, he's the one guy who can go out there and do what needs to be done when we need him. Just watch him Sunday, he will be on top of his game.

Any one of our 6 starters can shut out any opponent on any given day. I just feel much more confident in someone who has better stuff and doesn't allow as many baserunners. Mark earns his living by consistently getting out of trouble. I prefer to not even see those situations.