View Full Version : Tigers-indians fri may 12

soxwon
05-12-2006, 06:28 PM
top of 2 1-0 tigers
cmon indians wake up!!!

downstairs
05-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Huh?

Why root for the Indians to beat Detroit? Detroit is going to be nowhere near the top come August. And don't be a fool and think the Indians are going to play .500 ball all year.

Its still going to be a tight race between the Sox and Indians.

So, for tonight, go Tigers!

LuvSox
05-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Tiggers win.

oeo
05-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Huh?

Why root for the Indians to beat Detroit? Detroit is going to be nowhere near the top come August. And don't be a fool and think the Indians are going to play .500 ball all year.

Its still going to be a tight race between the Sox and Indians.

So, for tonight, go Tigers!

I disagree. The Indians are overrated, and they won't have that same second half as last year because their pitching is not nearly as good as it was last year.

IMO, neither team will be around, but that's just me.

QCIASOXFAN
05-12-2006, 09:51 PM
I get the feeling that the Tigers are going to be in are hair all year, kind of the way that the Indians were toward the end of last year. The Tigers got some good Pitcher's like Rogers and Bondermen so I can't see them going on any long losing streak, also they got a damn good offense I think and then they got Jim Leland who is a great coach.

MadetoOrta
05-12-2006, 10:41 PM
Coco Crisp was a huge piece of the Tribe puzzle as was Millwood. My neighbor is a die hard Tribe fan. He's been disgusted since they let Millwood go and brought in Paul Byrd. He said "We dump Millwood and pick up Byrd. The Sox give up minor leaguers and get JAVIER VASQUEZ - a starter better than any starter on the Tribe or Tigers." He's got a point there. Detroit won't fade 'til August folks. Who cares? It's too early. Let's get the next 3!

Tigerclaw
05-13-2006, 02:17 AM
Sparky Anderson used to say that 40 games into the season is a good barometer as to what kind of team you have. I don't necessarily believe in that adage because of teams like cleveland and Oakland that have turned poor starts around in recent years....but I will say that the more i see the Tigers play this year, the more confident I am that they are not going to fade like many think. Health permitting, they will compete all year and have few weaknesses that I can see. They have avoided long losing streaks so far and the more they win the more confident they become.

The biggest key for the White Sox in my opinion is the belief that they can win every game...when a team believes they can win every game, that confidence makes them that much tougher, and I am slowly seeing that develop with the Tigers. Will they fade? They could, an injury to Guillen and/or Ordonez will pretty much cause a collapse, but if they stay healthy, they should be around all year. A Tigers team with injury problems last year (Guillen was in and out of the lineup and was only a shell of himself after knee surgery in the offseason....Maggs missed half the season and when he came back he was only a shell of himself the rest of the season...Bonderman had elbow problems the second half after a great first half) was a .500 team until late August...so a healthy one should be that much better...

If the Tigers are, say, within 5 games of first place come september...which team is going to feel more pressure?...The White Sox will...the defending champs, not the team that was hoping to be competitive for the first time in 13 years. The Tigers don't have as much to lose because their season will be considered a success if they win 82 games or more...but with the white sox, it's repeat or disappoint...That's what makes the Tigers a dangerous team for the White Sox if they stick around...Last year the Sox were a team that were in a similar position as the Tigers are in so far this year and that made for a much less pressured situation when they had to fend off the Indians when they came charging at the end of the season. This year the Sox are the defending champs...they are on the defensive now and that has a different feel, so it will be interesting to see how that team handles that feeling if there indeed is a tight race in september.

Hopefully for us Tiger fans, the Tigers won't fade, but if they do hopefully they can win 85 games or so...I personally think the best case scenario for the Tigers would be to hang with the Sox all year and apply the heat in september because that's when things will get exciting and that's when you really see what teams are made of.

MUsoxfan
05-13-2006, 02:38 AM
Will they fade? They could, an injury to Guillen and/or Ordonez will pretty much cause a collapse, but if they stay healthy, they should be around all year. A Tigers team with injury problems last year (Guillen was in and out of the lineup and was only a shell of himself after knee surgery in the offseason....Maggs missed half the season and when he came back he was only a shell of himself the rest of the season...Bonderman had elbow problems the second half after a great first half) was a .500 team until late August...so a healthy one should be that much better...

I wouldn't worry about any of your bats getting injured, it's the pitching that should be your main concern. If Guillen and Ordonez were lost it definitely wouldn't be season ending. If Maroth and Rogers had some injury issues, I'd be terrified as a Tigers fan.

The one guy you should hope to get injured is Young. That guy helps out the Sox the best he can with his ineffective bat:D:

Tigerclaw
05-13-2006, 03:21 AM
I wouldn't worry about any of your bats getting injured, it's the pitching that should be your main concern. If Guillen and Ordonez were lost it definitely wouldn't be season ending. If Maroth and Rogers had some injury issues, I'd be terrified as a Tigers fan.

The one guy you should hope to get injured is Young. That guy helps out the Sox the best he can with his ineffective bat:D:

I'm not concerned that those guys will get injured because they don't have a history of injuries. That would be like you worrying about an injury to Mark Buehrle. Guillen and Ordonez have both had serious injuries in the last couple of years and their replacements would be greatly less productive.

As for pitching depth in case of an injury, the Tigers are in much better shape than those that don't follow the team think. Jordan Tata, the Tigers minor league pitcher of the year last year (no, it wasn't Verlander or Zumaya, believe it or not) pitched excellent in relief with the big club so far this year and was optioned to AAA so that he could get innings as a starter. He could easily fill in at some point and start in case of an injury ala Brandon McCarthy and has the talent to do so. Tata figures to have a good shot at starting next year anyways....pitching injuries aren't a concern, but fatigue is a slight concern. So far I like what Leyland has done to reduce the chances of that though...a few times he has removed Rogers after 7 innings instead of letting him pitch a complete game so that he can save pitches for later in the season. Whether it really will work or not, who knows, but I like his thinking.

rookie
05-13-2006, 08:38 AM
If the Tigers are, say, within 5 games of first place come september...which team is going to feel more pressure?...The White Sox will...the defending champs, not the team that was hoping to be competitive for the first time in 13 years. The Tigers don't have as much to lose because their season will be considered a success if they win 82 games or more...but with the white sox, it's repeat or disappoint...That's what makes the Tigers a dangerous team for the White Sox if they stick around...Last year the Sox were a team that were in a similar position as the Tigers are in so far this year and that made for a much less pressured situation when they had to fend off the Indians when they came charging at the end of the season. This year the Sox are the defending champs...they are on the defensive now and that has a different feel, so it will be interesting to see how that team handles that feeling if there indeed is a tight race in september.

Ummm, I think that the Sox were definitely on the defensive last September when Cleveland was nipping at their heels. And I think they felt A LOT of pressure - an impressive regular season almost going down the drain and possibly missing the playoffs altogether-if they didn't get the consolation prize-the wild card. Konerko said later that after the clinched they played (the Cleveland series) much better because the pressure was off.

Actually because of what happened last September, I think if there is a tight race, the Sox will be fine. They already know that they can pull through it.

MadetoOrta
05-13-2006, 09:13 AM
Tigerclaw:

Welcome. I like what the Tigers have done and I've been an advocate for years for the Sox to bring Leyland back as their manager. [He started his major league coaching career here under Larussa] In any case, teams trying to overtake the Sox this year have a BIG PROBLEM - the White Sox have 6 stud starting pitchers. Except for the knuckle-ball rookie, every game the Sox throw a stud on the bump. To the extent Garland is struggling, Vasquez is unhittable right now. He could win 20 the way he's throwing. It's a marathon and I'll go on a marathon with this pitching over anyone in baseball. By the way, too, pressure you say? There's no pressure. Pressure is almost blowing a double-digit lead in the final month when you're a franchise that hasn't won the World Series in 88 %$#@ years. The pressure's off. Take care, keep it above-board and you'll love the discourse on this website.

MadetoOrta

Tigerclaw
05-13-2006, 11:00 AM
I think I was misinterpreted and I apologize as it is my fault for the way it was stated. No doubt the White sox felt pressure from the possibility of losing the division to the Indians down the stretch. I just believe that if there is a tight division race in september, they will have the most pressure as they will have the most to lose if they fail to reach the post season. As for the pressure of not reaching the post season in 88 years...I think that is a pressure that is more felt by the fans than the players. Most of the players probably didn't know that fact before they played for the White Sox and if anything felt bad for the fans, but I think that added minimal pressure.

palehozenychicty
05-13-2006, 11:38 AM
I think I was misinterpreted and I apologize as it is my fault for the way it was stated. No doubt the White sox felt pressure from the possibility of losing the division to the Indians down the stretch. I just believe that if there is a tight division race in september, they will have the most pressure as they will have the most to lose if they fail to reach the post season. As for the pressure of not winning in the postseason in 88 years...I think that is a pressure that is more felt by the fans than the players. Most of the players probably didn't know that fact before they played for the White Sox and if anything felt bad for the fans, but I think that added minimal pressure.

Had to make some edit changes for you! Welcome aboard, as I hope the Tigers get the wild card to shut the AL Least down to 1 team!

Lip Man 1
05-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Detroit is going to be up around the White Sox air a lot longer then some folks are saying. They have pitching and pitching depth including that 'washed-up' (three years ago according to some) Kenny Rogers who keeps winning and winning wherever he plays.

Lip

champagne030
05-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Detroit is going to be up around the White Sox air a lot longer then some folks are saying. They have pitching and pitching depth including that 'washed-up' (three years ago according to some) Kenny Rogers who keeps winning and winning wherever he plays.

Lip

I'm a little worried about our bullpen, but if I was a Tiger fan I would need to change my shorts with their arms. Rodney is tough, but they don't have a lefty and Jones blows.