PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Shaw

Chisox_cali
01-30-2002, 11:03 PM
What would you guys think if we picked him up to bolster the bullpen. He's low-risk and could probably come pretty cheap, he's on the brink of retirement as this article says (http://www.sportingnews.com/baseball/articles/20020130/378765.html) He needs to be on a team near his home in Ohio. Just a thought

WinningUgly!
01-30-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
What would you guys think if we picked him up to bolster the bullpen. He's low-risk and could probably come pretty cheap, he's on the brink of retirement as this article says (http://www.sportingnews.com/baseball/articles/20020130/378765.html) He needs to be on a team near his home in Ohio. Just a thought

With all of the guys we have in the pen coming back from injuries, a proven reliever like Shaw would be nice. You can never have too much bullpen depth! I doubt the Sox would spend what it would take to sign him.

RichH55
01-30-2002, 11:30 PM
Do we qualify as "close?"

czalgosz
01-30-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

Probably not. I didn't remember him pitching for the Sox, so I looked him up. There's a reason I didn't remember - he pitched 10 innings for the Sox in '95. I was in college then so things are kinda foggy for that season - how did the Sox end up with him?

Chisox_cali
01-30-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

Close as in both are in the Midwest, and Chicago is closer than L.A.

longshot7
01-31-2002, 02:40 AM
He wants to close. Last time I checked, we didn't need one of those. But if we trade Howry....

RichH55
01-31-2002, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

Close as in both are in the Midwest, and Chicago is closer than L.A.

Well If I recall LA is already out of it....he was talking more with the Reds...which are damn close to his Ohio home:) I just wanted to know if we were even a posible

dougs78
01-31-2002, 06:18 AM
Your thought intriuged me Chisox_cali. He would be a great guy to have in our bullpen, especially if we could get him cheap and he would be happy being a setup man. I did some checking on mapquest to see how far we were from being "close."

In the article it says hes from Washington Courthouse, Ohio (somewhere between cincy and columbus) That puts him about 50 miles from cincy.

home to cleveland= 180 miles
home to pittsburgh= 230 miles
home to chicago= 334 miles

I would say we are close, but not close enough. Although, when you talk about driving 4 hours or driving 6.5 hours...its not a huge difference.

just for kicks....

Tragg
01-31-2002, 01:19 PM
Shaw is not a dominating pitcher. He's a decent pitcher with inflated stats, like most closers, sheerly because of his position. If he's a lefty, perhaps, but I don't see him as that great a player to spend a bunch of money on.