PDA

View Full Version : Could this really happen?? (Looking WAY ahead...)

WhiteSoxFan84
05-12-2006, 06:53 PM
I was really bored a couple of hours ago and started thinking back to the 2005 postseason and how we bumped Orlando Hernandez to the bullpen. Then I started looking ahead to this upcoming postseason and I began to wonder how our team would look in the playoffs. And this thought popped in my head: Will Jon Garland really be in the bullpen?! God forbid we experience anymore injuries this season, but when our rotation is at full strength, Garland seems to be the 5th best starter we have.

I'd assume our 4-man rotation in the playoffs would like this:
Game 1 - Jose Contreras
Game 2 - Mark Buehrle
Game 3 - Freddy Garcia
Game 4 - Javier Vazquez

How do you guys think Garland will handle this (if this is the case)? Would this be the right move or did Garland earn his spot in the playoff rotation last postseason?

And on a side note: it's not so bad being a Sox fan these days, is it? :cool:
Heck, we deserve it. A toast to us! :gulp:

SweetnesSox
05-12-2006, 07:00 PM
I was thinking about this the other day. Too early to even speculate. Jon could have a second half like his first half last year and be our top one or two starter.

JohnBasedowYoda
05-12-2006, 07:03 PM
As a pitcher whose prone to the "big inning" I'd say...no.

Corlose 15
05-12-2006, 07:07 PM
It really all depends on how everyone is pitching in September and October, not May.

I'm sure everyone involved would do whatever they could to get another ring.

downstairs
05-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Of course it's early, but I have no problem with the "if the playoffs started today" speculation.

I would say, yes, Garland would go to the bullpen. He'd be the guy you bring in in the 2nd or 3rd if someone is just being blown out-- not a bad guy to have for that role.

Ozzie could have a quick leash... have a bad 1st and 2nd, and you're gone for the day...

batmanZoSo
05-12-2006, 08:26 PM
Like downstairs said, the quick leash. What a luxury to have. Just think if there's another one of those 14 inning games and we have not one but two solid starting pitchers in the bullpen.

IlliniSox4Life
05-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Of course it's early, but I have no problem with the "if the playoffs started today" speculation.

I would say, yes, Garland would go to the bullpen. He'd be the guy you bring in in the 2nd or 3rd if someone is just being blown out-- not a bad guy to have for that role.

Ozzie could have a quick leash... have a bad 1st and 2nd, and you're gone for the day...

And that knocks Bmac down to just a pure reliever role. Ahhh, this team is friggin good.

chidonez
05-13-2006, 01:52 AM
Let me remind everyone, this is baseball. Remember where Contreras was this time last year? Garland is going to be in there for a while. Why? He has a track record, he's young, and he's trade bait. He's going to be in there for some time.

Ol' No. 2
05-13-2006, 11:26 AM
This kind of speculation is completely pointless. To see why, all you have to consider is what the answer would be if you had it this time last year: Jose Contreras would have been the odd man out.

miker
05-13-2006, 12:14 PM
Let me remind everyone, this is baseball. Remember where Contreras was this time last year? Garland is going to be in there for a while. Why? He has a track record, he's young, and he's trade bait. He's going to be in there for some time.
All good points which I agree with...but part of me is saying that last year may have been an aberration. I hope I'm wrong and Jon returns to form!

Lip Man 1
05-13-2006, 12:27 PM
My biggest concern with Jon right now are his quotes in the newspaper saying he's lost confidence and isn't trusting his pitches.

That's the 'kiss of death' for any athlete at any level. Frankly I'm shocked Jon would admit as much to Joe Cowley.

I personally think last year was a fluke (much like Hermanson's) but I think Jon is capable of recovering enough to win 10-12 games this season which history shows is 'normal' for him.

Lip

Brian26
05-13-2006, 12:31 PM
I personally think last year was a fluke (much like Hermanson's) but I think Jon is capable of recovering enough to win 10-12 games this season which history shows is 'normal' for him.

Lip

12 wins would be a disappointment, but, in reality, maybe that's all we really need from Garland's spot. That's still a sensational #5 in the rotation.

balke
05-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Eventually Jon's going to start keeping the ball down again, and hopefully he can do it for an entire game. Maybe he needs to start earlier to pitch better, like every 4th game for a while. John Smoltz started slow, started pitching a game or 2 before his scheduled start, and has really improved his statistics.

I think Jon can easily break out by keeping the ball low in the zone, but he does look semi-asleep out there compared to how he was last season. Pitch him early, see if it helps him keep stay sharp and refocus.

CynicSox
05-13-2006, 02:12 PM
My biggest concern with Jon right now are his quotes in the newspaper saying he's lost confidence and isn't trusting his pitches.

That's the 'kiss of death' for any athlete at any level. Frankly I'm shocked Jon would admit as much to Joe Cowley.

Lip

I agree with the fluke part. Not cause I'm a Garland-hater, but I just seriously don't see this guy being a perennial 16-18 game winner like last season. Haven't seen those quotes, but yikes. Why not just come right out and say "Yeah I pretty much suck right now."

The thing that irks me most is how much we're paying him for a mediocre performance thus far into the season. If he doesn't pick it up, wow, what a waste of money.

Where is Hermanson anyway? DL?

slobes
05-13-2006, 02:18 PM
This kind of speculation is completely pointless. To see why, all you have to consider is what the answer would be if you had it this time last year: Jose Contreras would have been the odd man out.

Look where that got us! He was the only one to lose in the playoffs.

Ol' No. 2
05-13-2006, 02:26 PM

LipI had the same reaction to those quotes. You don't normally hear a pitcher say those things publicly. But confidence is a funny thing. It can return just as quickly.

I don't think you can realisticly call last year a "fluke". That implies a departure from the norm, but what is the norm for a pitcher who was only 25 years old at the start of last season? We often forget that Garland broke in at only 20 years of age. All those 12 win seasons might look unimpressive until you consider that most pitchers his age would be getting zero major league wins because they'd still be pitching in the minors. Most athletes peak at about 30 years of age. Garland is four years from that point. While I don't think it's realistic to expect 18 wins every year, it wouldn't take that much for him to win 15, and that's still not too shabby.

champagne030
05-13-2006, 03:44 PM

Lip

I think the biggest problem for Garland was his performance against the Angels in the ALCS (great for us that game, bad for his mind this season). He was basically a two pitch pitcher throwing a 94-95 fastball with a straight change. His best pitch is the sinker, but he dominated that game without it and now he thinks that he can become a strikeout pitcher. AJ was quoted earlier this season saying that Jon was always turning to look at the pitch speed gun (this season). You overthrow the sinker and it stays flat. He doesn't have the extra MPH's on his fastball without the 10 day rest. Coop needs to get through his head that he's not a strikeout guy and that his 90-91 MPH fastball is plenty to keep guys honest with his sinker. Jon, don't try to overthrow the ball....your movement is what made you successful, except for one game.

TDog
05-13-2006, 05:56 PM
Look where that got us! He was the only one to lose in the playoffs.

Even Marte won a World Series game.

Actually it was a game Garland would have won if Hermanson (I think, I was working that night) hadn't given up the game-tying hit.

I don't think Garland was a fluke last year. Scouts have always raved about his stuff. I don't think he's a head case either. But he does appear to be high-maintenance from a coaching perspective.

chisoxmike
05-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Why are we talking about a playoff rotation? It's May 13th.

itsnotrequired
05-13-2006, 10:28 PM
Why are we talking about a playoff rotation? It's May 13th.

Seriously. I mean, where have these people been? I've been talking about about the playoff rotation for over two months.

:tongue: