PDA

View Full Version : The natives are getting restless.

cheeses_h_rice
05-12-2006, 04:31 PM
*****!!!
(http://www.forums.mlb.com/ml-cubs)

Hangar18
05-12-2006, 04:38 PM
The Sheep are only getting restless because the
TRIBUNE TOLD THEM TO BOO
what a bunch of Mindless Sheep

daveeym
05-12-2006, 04:42 PM
The Sheep are only getting restless because the
TRIBUNE TOLD THEM TO BOO
what a bunch of Mindless Sheep Wow i guess it's pretty empty there today from what they're saying, "It looks just like it did 20 years ago pre ryno. Nobody." Somebody note the trib's portrayal of the attendance tomorrow.

Lip Man 1
05-12-2006, 04:49 PM
As long as the tickets are sold and the money is in the bank I'm sure MLB teams wouldn't care if no one showed up.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
05-12-2006, 04:51 PM
As long as the tickets are sold and the money is in the bank I'm sure MLB teams wouldn't care if no one showed up.

LipYou're forgetting parking, concessions, etc. I'll bet they make almost as much from those as from the ticket.

Hangar18
05-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Wow i guess it's pretty empty there today from what they're saying, "It looks just like it did 20 years ago pre ryno. Nobody." Somebody note the trib's portrayal of the attendance tomorrow.

Pat: 37,988 was todays attendance Ronnie. Close to another sell out
Ron: What great fans we've got
Pat: Even with all the rain and the wind today, not too many empty seats
Ron: You know, youve got to give credit to these fans, best fans ever.
Pat: To come out and support the team like this, speaks volumes
Ron: Look at all these fans

PaleHoseGeorge
05-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Maybe we need a "Sell Cubune! Sell!" tag?
:cool:

:lynch&mcfail
"Memo to all employees: Effective immediately incompetence will no longer be tolerated by Cubune management. <Signed> A. McFail"

SOXPHILE
05-12-2006, 04:57 PM
They mentioned something on the Score that one of the Padres, Roberts I think ( ? ) had something said to him by Chief Crybaby, Michael Barrett when he scored a run. Then they started arguing. Anybody see or know what happened ? Once again, it looks like the Cubs starting catcher is showing himself to be quite the bitchy lil' assclown, (See 2004 & 2005 incidents).

Ol' No. 2
05-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Anyone watching this one? What the hell happened in the 5th inning?? From Caldarelli's column (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cubicle/cs-060512cubscubicle,1,1269627.column?coll=cs-home-headlines):
Castilla lines a single to right. Gonzalez lines a single to center. Not sure what just happened, but the ball just got away and both runners advanced. Dusty comes out to argue but to no avail. Cedeno decided to throw the ball out of play without asking the umpire. OK, here's the replay. Yeah, he took the relay from center and then just lobbed the ball towards the Cubs' dugout. That was a first for these eyes. Gotta hand it to them. They keep finding new and creative ways to lose.

Edit: Ooo...here's another little gem from farther down:
It appears that Real Fan is trash-talking White Sox fans. I learned at a young age that trash-talking the defending champs in any sport doesn't really work.:thumbsup:

cheeses_h_rice
05-12-2006, 05:03 PM
http://history.sandiego.edu/gen/USPics40/perot2.jpg

Anyone else hear that giant sucking sound coming from Clark & Addison?

Johnny Mostil
05-12-2006, 05:09 PM
*****!!!

They're absolutely brutal over at thecubreporter.com comments on this game. Some promotional ideas:

Cubs Suicide Day. First 10,000 fans will receive a Cubs logo-ed handgun, complete with hollow point bullet to make sure your brains splatter right the first time.

I suggested Suicide Bomber Day a few days ago. Guess where the suicide bombers are sitting and you get to leave the stadium.
Or perhaps Cubbie Kool-Aid day. Everyone gets a commemorative Jonestown mug full of special Cubbie Kool-Aid.
Or finally Poison Blow-Dart Day.

Mark Prior autographed throwing towell
Authentic Kerry Wood simulated game worn jersey
Official Glendon Rusch girdle
1st 5000 left-handed people get to throw batting practice pitch
Cubs calender with a Dusty excuse for each day

How about Baseball Day? First 40000 fans through the gate get to witness a mistake-free, professional exhibition of baseball, resulting in a win.
Come on JT, I know the suicide day ideas are a little off the wall, but lets not be totally unrealistic.

How about dinner with the Cubs execs? You get to put duct tape over their mouths so they shut up while you vent your rage.

Carlos Zambrano Trainquilizer Gun & Net Day

First 10,000 fans get to stand inside the park and taunt the other 30,000 fans as they enter questioning, among other things, their masculinity/femininity, their baseball IQs and their right to draw air on this planet.

I don't know if they're trolls or just wising up . . .

Corlose 15
05-12-2006, 05:16 PM
They mentioned something on the Score that one of the Padres, Roberts I think ( ? ) had something said to him by Chief Crybaby, Michael Barrett when he scored a run. Then they started arguing. Anybody see or know what happened ? Once again, it looks like the Cubs starting catcher is showing himself to be quite the bitchy lil' assclown, (See 2004 & 2005 incidents).

Yeah, I saw it, Barret started yapping at Roberts as he scored and they started arguing. The homeplate ump got it broken up quickly. On replay you could tell Barret initiated the conversation, despite what Bob Brenly would say.:rolleyes: Apparently the Cubs are upset at Roberts because he bunted and stole a base against them last week when the Padres had a big lead.

1951Campbell
05-12-2006, 05:42 PM
Castilla lines a single to right. Gonzalez lines a single to center. Not sure what just happened, but the ball just got away and both runners advanced. Dusty comes out to argue but to no avail. Cedeno decided to throw the ball out of play without asking the umpire. OK, here's the replay. Yeah, he took the relay from center and then just lobbed the ball towards the Cubs' dugout. That was a first for these eyes.

The events depicted are hilarious, the tone of the column even moreso.

1951Campbell
05-12-2006, 05:44 PM
The natives are getting restless.

The "fan incident" is getting closer, folks...

Jjav829
And Hendry got a contract extension for this crap? :roflmao:

SoxFanPrope
???

LongLiveFisk
05-12-2006, 05:47 PM

Lip

I don't know about that. There is a perception in Cubbie-ville that games are always sold out and that Wrigley Field is the place to be. More and more instances of a half-empty ballpark will start to shoot that theory down, and all those bandwagoners that have been filling the park the past so many years just might stop showing up.

1951Campbell
05-12-2006, 05:53 PM
???

Garbage on the field, violence, that sort of thing. Book it. The Cubs are playing too poorly in front of too many 0.25+ BACs for it not to happen one of these days.

SoxFanPrope
05-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Garbage on the field, violence, that sort of thing. Book it. The Cubs are playing too poorly in front of too many 0.25+ BACs for it not to happen one of these days.

Ahh, gotcha

maurice
05-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Garbage on the field, violence, that sort of thing. Book it. The Cubs are playing too poorly in front of too many 0.25+ BACs for it not to happen AGAIN one of these days.

Fixed it for you.

There are plenty of examples of rather serious fan violence at Wrigley.

Garbage on the field happens every year, usually when the fans "disagree" with an ump's call. Of course, 90% of the people throwing garbage never actually saw the allegedly blown call. The other 10% saw a replay on the TVs affixed to the back of the luxury suites from their extremely obstructed view seats.

Soxfanspcu11
05-12-2006, 06:45 PM
I watched a bit of the game and noticed that the bleachers were about 1/3rd full.

I'm sure the Cubune will have this covered in-depth tomorrow!:rolleyes:

Actually, they probably will, but instead of being negative, it will say something like......

DIE-HARD FANS BRAVE ELEMENTS TO SUPPORT TEAM.

No teal, watch and observe. I wouldn't be surprised if that's a direct headline. Everyone involved with that organization in any aspect is a loser of the HIGHEST degree.

Viva Medias B's
05-12-2006, 07:53 PM
I know recaps of visits to the Shrine by us are not popular here, but I was there today. The official reason was to see Geoff Blum. Before that top of the fifth inning, the fans really weren't getting on the Cubs. That started after the Padres got the line moving. The biggest boos came when Dusty Baker popped out of the dugout to take Glendon Rusch out of the game. The meltdown is fully underway. Calls for Baker's head are getting intense.

The ballpark was not full at all. There were plenty of open seats, and I moved around several times. What was full were the bars, shockingly. The frat/sorority parties were in full swing.

Saw a bunch of Sox fans there and ballpark employees who also work at USCF. Of course, I was in White Sox regalia and I occasionally heard several times:

"You're in the wrong ballpark."
"Sox suck."Well, I may have been in the wrong ballpark. At our ballpark, the home team usually wins. When I pointed this out to a drillrod frat boy Cub fan, he replied "I don't give a ****!" And with a 23-10 record, first place, and the best record in baseball, I hope we continue to suck.

LuvSox
05-12-2006, 08:22 PM
"Sox suck."They're ****ing brilliant, aren't they?

SouthSide_HitMen
05-12-2006, 09:24 PM

I'm pretty disappointed. The Cubs were off to a great start and after Hendry's deal the rumor was Dusty would be extended as well within a week or two but then Lee broke his wrist and unfortunately Dusty may not be around after this season. :(:

1951Campbell
05-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Fixed it for you.

Garbage on the field happens every year, usually when the fans "disagree" with an ump's call. Of course, 90% of the people throwing garbage never actually saw the allegedly blown call. The other 10% saw a replay on the TVs affixed to the back of the luxury suites from their extremely obstructed view seats.

That's run of the mill. I'm talking Pistons/Pacers level stuff. Not players in the stands, but borderline "melee" or "riot."

JB98
05-12-2006, 10:06 PM
I'm pretty disappointed. The Cubs were off to a great start and after Hendry's deal the rumor was Dusty would be extended as well within a week or two but then Lee broke his wrist and unfortunately Dusty may not be around after this season. :(:

Yeah, I'm burning a candle for Dusty. He's the wrong manager for the Cubs. They need a different voice in that clubhouse. Therefore, I hope they extend him and continue to suck.

Back to the thing about Roberts: When he bunted and stole second, the Padres had a four-run lead. I guess in Cubbieland, that constitutes a "big lead." For the rest of the baseball world, you want to get that fifth run so a grand slam can't tie you. What Roberts did was fine. The Cubs reaction was absolute bush-league. But what do you expect from that bunch of pansies?

miker
05-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I saw it, Barret started yapping at Roberts as he scored and they started arguing. The homeplate ump got it broken up quickly. On replay you could tell Barret initiated the conversation, despite what Bob Brenly would say.:rolleyes: Apparently the Cubs are upset at Roberts because he bunted and stole a base against them last week when the Padres had a big lead.
Apparently the Cubs are upset because everyone else is better at playing baseball than they are!

miker
05-13-2006, 11:29 AM
How dare you mock the shrine at Clark and Addison. Infidel!

dcb56
05-13-2006, 03:55 PM
*****!!!

These folks may have to be put on suicide watch after this afternoon's brutal affair. Maddux pitches a gem into the 8th allowing one unearned run which scored thanks to another throw in the turf by JocK Jones. Then Dempster blows it in the 9th allowing three runs on three hits, the big one being a 3 run bomb by Piazza.

I wonder when the Padres are going to petition MLB to have themselves placed in the same division as the Cubs...

QCIASOXFAN
05-13-2006, 04:09 PM
These folks may have to be put on suicide watch after this afternoon's brutal affair. Maddux pitches a gem into the 8th allowing one unearned run which scored thanks to another throw in the turf by JocK Jones. Then Dempster blows it in the 9th allowing three runs on three hits, the big one being a 3 run bomb by Piazza.

I wonder when the Padres are going to petition MLB to have themselves placed in the same division as the Cubs... That is hilarious! There calling for Dusty,Neifi,Dempster,Hendreys and the entire teams heads! Almost makes me feel bad for them. Almost.

peeonwrigley
05-13-2006, 04:34 PM
http://www.dodgerblues.com/images/cubfight.jpg

Except this time it won't be the road team.

Soxfanspcu11
05-13-2006, 05:46 PM

Except this time it won't be the road team.

Is that Peter Gammons on the far right in this picture?? It sure looks like his stupid mug.

:boston
"I don't know what your talking about, The Redsox/Yankees game was only 26 days away. Of course, I was getting myself ready, I don't have time to be anywhere else."

Viva Medias B's
05-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Is that Peter Gammons on the far right in this picture?? It sure looks like his stupid mug.

:boston
"I don't know what your talking about, The Redsox/Yankees game was only 26 days away. Of course, I was getting myself ready, I don't have time to be anywhere else."

Where's the floppy hat dude?

spiffie
05-15-2006, 01:00 AM
Can we all just imagine that the Wrigleyville Frat Boy is here right now dispensing his thoughts on this whole thing? Becuase I sure do miss his appearances from time to time on this board.

peeonwrigley
05-15-2006, 01:17 AM
Can we all just imagine that the Wrigleyville Frat Boy is here right now dispensing his thoughts on this whole thing? Becuase I sure do miss his appearances from time to time on this board.

I'm sure Chad is enjoying the increased availability of Cubs tickets at or below cost.

"More beer money, Bro-Ham!"

Tragg
05-15-2006, 10:51 AM
He made 2 super trades for 2 all star players, but he hasn't built a team.
Bad defense; less than mediocre fill in players; lack of dependable starting pitching; weak bullpen (which he ignored until last offseason); too many not very good players with names (Pierre, who's claim to fame was helping to beat the cubs 3 years ago; Jones).

Hangar18
05-15-2006, 11:20 AM
He made 2 super trades for 2 all star players, but he hasn't built a team.
Bad defense; less than mediocre fill in players; lack of dependable starting pitching; weak bullpen (which he ignored until last offseason); too many not very good players with names (Pierre, who's claim to fame was helping to beat the cubs 3 years ago; Jones).

And those 2 superstar players were only available because the Poor & Destitute Marlins and Pirates were GIVING those players away. Can you imagine if they still had Hee Flop Choi here? hahahahahahahahahaha
Bobby "million-dollar" Hill?

skottyj242
05-15-2006, 11:39 AM
I was at the game on Saturday and my boss/Cub fans/season ticket holder was more irate than me. I just sat there and drank my beer and everytime a pinch hitter was brought in I screamed for Geoff Blum, didn't happen though. I wouldn't say I had a good time but it was a decent way to spend a Saturday afternoon. I was wearing a Reds hat and got alot of compliments from people from Ohio.

maurice
05-15-2006, 11:49 AM
I'm talking Pistons/Pacers level stuff.

You mean like the fans harrasssing a player from the visiting team, causing him and his teammates to charge into the stands and physically assault the customers? Been there, done that:

Hangar18
05-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Is that Peter Gammons on the far right in this picture?? It sure looks like his stupid mug."

:roflmao: I BURST OUT LAUGHING HERE just now ...........Hilarious.
We need to put an ARROW pointing out Peter Gammons in the stands.
Gammons: "I was at that game and the Dodger players blatantly and heinously accosted the fun-loving cub fans. it was terrible. The Dodgers
went wild"

Tragg
05-15-2006, 12:36 PM
And those 2 superstar players were only available because the Poor & Destitute Marlins and Pirates were GIVING those players away. Can you imagine if they still had Hee Flop Choi here? hahahahahahahahahaha
Bobby "million-dollar" Hill?
I even think their Nomar trade was good - Boston basically wanted to get rid of him as well; he was injured, but they got Murton out of the deal who looks like a decent last outfielder who may get better (unfortunately for them, they have to count on him as their #1 outfielder). I forgot the young players they sent to Boston...did any amount to anything?

Hendry's done well at scooping the available freebies, but not much in building well-rounded team.
Someone will have to take the fall, it won't be Hendry, so I figure Dusty is on a tight pitch count.

PeteWard
05-15-2006, 10:21 PM
"I like the Cubs, I've watched them on WGN for years..and I'm just a stone throws away from Illinois"

A stone throws away.... Classic. You couldn't make this stuff up.:D: