PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 5/12/06

Hangar18
05-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Today, the SunTimes does a cubfluff piece on finding Sammy Sosa.
Hmmmmm. For the SOX, the ST decides to do a story on the Twins, which is ok, but I decided not to count it. Interesting that the SOX still cant get any extra positive coverage in this town.

Despite winning the World Series in 2005, and getting off to one of the franchises best starts to follow up, The White Sox INEXPLICABLY find themselves lagging Far Behind in Media Coverage to a team that, is currently in 5th Place, finished last season in 4th, Has ZERO 90-win seasons since 1990, only THREE 90-win seasons since 1950, and hasnt won Anything of significance since the Roosevelt Administration. An Incredibly Inept organization being celebrated ..........................

Chicago Tribune:
4 cub stories
2 sox stories
Chicago SunTimes:
5 cub stories
2 sox stories
Standings as of Friday May 12th, 2006
Priviledged, Media Owned, Media Favored, Currently in 5th Place Cubs 402
Underdog, Media Maligned, WS Champs in 05, Best Record in MLB SOX 347

MadetoOrta
05-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Henry,

How's this? The Cubune and Cubtimes - "Celebrating ineptitude and occasional mediocrity since 1981."

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-12-2006, 10:56 AM
Or..

The Cubune: "It's all about butts in the seats, baby!"

The Cubtimes: "We love baseball. One of our reporters lives right near United Center".

skottyj242
05-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Or The Cubune:

We give Henry a reason to live.

BainesHOF
05-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Will employees of the Tribune and Sun-Times please explain the story discrepancies?

Scottiehaswheels
05-12-2006, 12:43 PM
well honestly I would expect a losing team to get more coverage than a winning team... remember the field day the papers had last august/september? more to write about when a team is scuffling than not....

Iwritecode
05-12-2006, 12:57 PM
well honestly I would expect a losing team to get more coverage than a winning team... remember the field day the papers had last august/september? more to write about when a team is scuffling than not....

You'd think a team winning a World Series (something the city hasn't seen in 88 years) and then coming back the next year and looking like they have a chance of repeating (something the city hasn't seen in almost 100 years) would be a bigger story than they're making it out to be.

The Cubs are the bigger story even though they're doing the same thing they've done year after year after year...

Erik The Red
05-12-2006, 01:21 PM
...Has ZERO 90-win seasons since 1990...
I'm pretty sure they won 90 in 1998... unless you're not counting the play-in game.

thepaulbowski
05-12-2006, 01:26 PM
I'm pretty sure they won 90 in 1998... unless you're not counting the play-in game.

Oh God, not this argument again... :rolleyes:

Erik The Red
05-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Oh God, not this argument again... :rolleyes: Must've missed something... I didn't think my statement was particularly argument-worthy, if someone REALLY had an argument over that then they better re-evaluate their existence.

Johnny Mostil
05-12-2006, 01:31 PM

That's the crux of the argument . . .

kobo
05-12-2006, 01:34 PM
With all the bashing of the media and the continuous arguments that the media is against us I find it funny that not one person has mentioned the title of the article on the front page of the Tribune Sports section that says Cubs' Ears Awaiting Jeers.

Scottiehaswheels
05-12-2006, 01:35 PM
You'd think a team winning a World Series (something the city hasn't seen in 88 years) and then coming back the next year and looking like they have a chance of repeating (something the city hasn't seen in almost 100 years) would be a bigger story than they're making it out to be.

The Cubs are the bigger story even though they're doing the same thing they've done year after year after year...

Fine I understand that... but are we gonna rest on our laurels or focus on the present/future? How many articles can anyone write on the 2005 team in 2006 that haven't been done already? I loved it as much as the next guy but come on its 2006...

Sox are winning again, great! How much fluff garbage reporting do you really want done on the Sox I guess is what I'm asking? I mean do you want to know what they have for breakfast, what color boxers/briefs they wear? I'll agree the reporting is biased but its not because they don't cover the Sox its because they overcover the Cubs... If they honestly reported on every single thing that the Sox did, like they do with the Scrubs, I dunno about you but I'd probably get really sick of it really fast....

longshot7
05-12-2006, 01:45 PM

He's not.

SOecks
05-12-2006, 01:47 PM
If they honestly reported on every single thing that the Sox did, like they do with the Scrubs, I dunno about you but I'd probably get really sick of it really fast....

Honestly, no I wouldn't because then I'd have the option NOT to read it if I was sick of it. Right now, I'm hanging on every word I read and many times it's a negative slanted article on something that should be positive (see: Buehrle beating KC last Sunday). I'm constantly hoping for more coverage and instead am treated with Cub fluff pieces constantly. And this is with me being on WSI all day every day. I just can't get enough.

Chip Z'nuff
05-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Hangar you need to stop posting this stuff! You are making the media angry.

Its obvious the cubune/times read this hey Mariotti, **** you!

Iwritecode
05-12-2006, 02:09 PM
How many articles can anyone write on the 2005 team in 2006 that haven't been done already?

Probably the same amount they can write on the 2006 Cubs that they already wrote in 2005.

I'll agree the reporting is biased but its not because they don't cover the Sox its because they overcover the Cubs... If they honestly reported on every single thing that the Sox did, like they do with the Scrubs, I dunno about you but I'd probably get really sick of it really fast....

Congrats. You just found the root of the problem. Maybe we don't want them writing a story everytime a player goes to the bathroom but don't you think it would at least be nice to have equal coverage? Or at least equal standards for coverage since they claim to be so unbiased?

They come up with a different excuse everytime year after year. Oh the Sox had a late game so they don't as many stories. Well the Cubs have more injuries so they do get more stories. Well the Cubs made the playoffs last year and the Sox didn't so they deserve more stories. Well the Cubs are juts more popular so they get more stories... :rolleyes:

Scottiehaswheels
05-12-2006, 02:11 PM
I'm constantly hoping for more coverage and instead am treated with Cub fluff pieces constantly. And this is with me being on WSI all day every day. I just can't get enough. Honestly, what else could the media cover? I can't think of anything.. yeah it'd be great to not have negative spin on everything, that'd rock.... but what else do you want to know seriously? I mean I'm here all the time too and what I can't find out via the traditional media I can find right here from the intelligent posters at WSI... I mean hell a couple weeks ago we had some guy post the tracking thing of their plane... is that the kind of crap you want? maybe I'm weird thinkin that maybe these guys, our team, might like to have a shred of privacy for god sake

SOecks
05-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Honestly, what else could the media cover? I can't think of anything.. yeah it'd be great to not have negative spin on everything, that'd rock.... but what else do you want to know seriously? I mean I'm here all the time too and what I can't find out via the traditional media I can find right here from the intelligent posters at WSI... I mean hell a couple weeks ago we had some guy post the tracking thing of their plane... is that the kind of crap you want? maybe I'm weird thinkin that maybe these guys, our team, might like to have a shred of privacy for god sake

Very easy. Instead of doing their 528th article on savior Pierre, or DLee, or Woods, etc maybe spend some time covering the Thome-Konerko tandem and show how great they compare to other big name tandems in the league (and don't write how Thome was a Cub fan growing up and his idols were all Cubs as they like to do). Hell, talk about the East Coast bias and how it's crap that the Sox are doing so well but don't get the national attention they deserve (will never happen because they don't even give fair coverage to their own team in Chicago though). Write about some of the great homegrown talent both on the team right now, and in the minors. It's not that hard and it's not my job to be a writer or find stories. They obviously don't have a tough time coming up with angles on the Cub players, it should be even easier to do it on Sox players since they're actually good.

palehozenychicty
05-12-2006, 03:23 PM
They obviously don't have a tough time coming up with angles on the Cub players, it should be even easier to do it on Sox players since they're actually good.

This is the root of our anger over the losers on the northside, who btw, are getting pounded by the Pads as we speak 7-2. if they were a quality organization, i can understand. but when you consistently demonstrate ineptitude, why are you relevant?

Hangar18
05-12-2006, 03:34 PM
With all the bashing of the media and the continuous arguments that the media is against us I find it funny that not one person has mentioned the title of the article on the front page of the Tribune Sports section that says Cubs' Ears Awaiting Jeers.

Glad someone brought this up ...........
I was VERY OFFENDED reading this. tells you in plain black & white, what the Tribune thinks of its fanbase. IMBECILES. The Trib is outwardly TELLING its fanbase to BOO the team .......... So that ESPN can later tonite say "Look how passionate cub fans really are"

palehozenychicty
05-12-2006, 03:41 PM
Glad someone brought this up ...........
I was VERY OFFENDED reading this. tells you in plain black & white, what the Tribune thinks of its fanbase. IMBECILES. The Trib is outwardly TELLING its fanbase to BOO the team .......... So that ESPN can later tonite say "Look how passionate cub fans really are"

All I know is this..The Pads are currently bombing them 8-3, with as atrocious a fifth inning as I've ever seen. Can't wait for the sweep next weekend. :D:

Hangar18
05-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Honestly, what else could the media cover? I can't think of anything.. yeah it'd be great to not have negative spin on everything, that'd rock.... but what else do you want to know seriously? I mean I'm here all the time too and what I can't find out via the traditional media I can find right here from the intelligent posters at WSI... I mean hell a couple weeks ago we had some guy post the tracking thing of their plane... is that the kind of crap you want? maybe I'm weird thinkin that maybe these guys, our team, might like to have a shred of privacy for god sake

Hey, SOX fans want to know whats happening with the team. The Chicago Media, especially guys like Paul Sullivan and Mike "Yellow" Kiley do EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING possible to keep the Cubs in the public eye.
Instead of 528 articles on how great wrigley is, why not some articles on the Cell? How about an Article on the new Shoeless Joe Museum? Lord knows if it was a Museum dedicated to some old cub, they wouldve had 5 stories already about HOW THERE SHOULD BE A MUSEUM, and gratuitious comments about how the "great fanbase" wants this (subliminally signalling the Sheep to begin demanding said museum).

How about LESS articles on Juan Pierre? The Chicago Media is trying FEVERISHLY to get Pierres name into the minds of fans here. Does anyone realize that the .232 hitting, 0 HR, 2 RBI, 5th place Pierre has MORE articles about him, fluff and otherwise than the .309 hitting, 14 HR/AL leading, 36 RBI Jim Thome. THAT ALONE TELLS YOU HOW STUPID and BIASED the Chicago Media really is. Mike Kiley has already been Punk'd out as being a blatant Cub Fan and cant/wont separate himself from the story. It is pathetic, that the Media loves a 5th Place team, and continues to ignore and dis-respect a WS Champion 05 team, that has burst out of the gate with the Best Record (again) in Baseball. As a former would-be "journalist", it is Embarrassing to me and everyone in this profession that guys like Kiley and Sullivan, Mariotti and Sleazak, and the biggest laziest jackass of them all Rick Morrissey, cant be bothered with writing a real Story. Theyre too busy telling us how great the cubs are, and how great they can really be, and how fast Juan Pierre is, and how great and important Derrek Lee is/was, and how soon can The Messiah and Wood get here, and what players the Pirates and Marlins can give away again. SICKENING

Hitmen77
05-12-2006, 04:36 PM

Cub fans are so stupid. Don't they realize that as long as they keep showing up like lemmings - more interested in the bar scene and how old the park is than winning - that things will never change? Booo!!!! Hey, I paid a lot of money to the Trib's scalping service for these tickets! Booo!!!!!

maurice
05-12-2006, 05:12 PM
The Trib is outwardly TELLING its fanbase to BOO the team

Looks like it worked. From the Trib's 'blog (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cubicle/cs-060512cubscubicle,1,1269627.column?coll=cs-home-headlines) re. today's game:
Fifth inning

Castilla lines a single to right. Gonzalez lines a single to center. Not sure what just happened, but the ball just got away and both runners advanced. Dusty comes out to argue but to no avail. Cedeno decided to throw the ball out of play without asking the umpire....Young walks to load the bases. Scott Williamson takes off his parka down in the bullpen. Roberts chops one to Cedeno, who flips to Neifi, who then fires it in the dirt past Mabry. They had no chance at Roberts anyway. Two runs score and Roberts takes second. Roberts then swipes third and the ball gets away from Ramirez. But not far enough for anything to happen, just worth mentioning because it fits in nicely with the theme of this inning. Cameron lines a double to the gap, scoring Roberts. Boos are cascading down and now Michael Barrett is jawing with Roberts at home plate. They're separated. Barrett is still yelling towards the Padres' dugout. Warnings have been issued to both benches. As Roberts crossed the plate he brushed shoulders with Barrett and then words were exchanged. Giles bounces a single up the middle and Cameron scores. More boos, Dusty yanks Rusch and this is one of the ugliest innings I've ever seen. Williamson will come on to try his hand at this mess. Now what? The trainer is out cutting the sleeves off Williamson's undershirt. I guess the multicolored sleeves are against the rules. Bizarre....Piazza dumps a single into center; Giles stops at second. Greene is the ninth Padre to hit this inning. Greene rips a pea to left and it hits the heel of Murton's glove and bounces away. Piazza scores. Castilla bounces out to Mabry to end this nightmare.

Padres 8, Cubs 2

So, just to recap, that inning featured three errors, two pitchers, one near fight, 10 batters, two dead shirt sleeves and five runs. Did I miss anything?

Some of the semi-suicidal reader comments are pretty amusing.
:D: