PDA

View Full Version : Willie Harris

Murphy10
05-11-2006, 09:03 PM
He's been getting some time this year. He got the start against the Yankees yesterday and has been doing a lot of pinchrunning. Anyone else excited for him and does anyone think he can be an everday starter later on in his baseball life?

bafiarocks03
05-11-2006, 09:27 PM
he definetly has! He scored a run today! WoOOOOOO! and he was so happy when he did! I was like yay WILLIE!!

He should be a everyday starter! Definetly! :bandance:

kittle42
05-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Anyone not care? :D:

Ol' No. 2
05-11-2006, 09:39 PM
he definetly has! He scored a run today! WoOOOOOO! and he was so happy when he did! I was like yay WILLIE!!

He should be a everyday starter! Definetly! :bandance:Why do I always feel like I need 20 min in a dark room after these posts?

SluggersAway
05-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Why do I feel like I need a scrub brush after these posts?

HotelWhiteSox
05-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Weird, right when I read this he gets a hit, off Mariano Rivera nonetheless

bafiarocks03
05-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Weird, right when I read this he gets a hit, off Mariano Rivera nonetheless

and scores!!

thats 2 tonight! HA!

1951Campbell
05-11-2006, 10:02 PM
He was a bit player, but come on, let's have a little love for the dude who scored the only run in Game 4.

Lip Man 1
05-11-2006, 10:11 PM
To answer your questions:

Eh....

and

No.

Lip

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-12-2006, 12:33 AM
I don't know how anyone doesn't like Willie after what he did in Game 4.

Flight #24
05-12-2006, 12:47 AM
Take it FWIW, but a BoSox friend of mine reports that "Sweet Willie" is hitting sub-.100, grousing about PT, and has been "talked to by a veteran leader" about lack of appropriate prep on days when he's not starting.

Needless to say he isn't endearing himself to the Beantown fans or possibly the management.

HotelWhiteSox
05-12-2006, 12:47 AM

He doesn't recycle

HotelWhiteSox
05-12-2006, 01:55 AM
*wonders if BafiaRocks knows that Ozney has a MySpace*

EDIT: *Notices 'I love Ozney' sign in his pictures which answers question*

kittle42
05-12-2006, 02:31 AM

For the same reason Geoff Blum is still a lousy player after Game 3.

goon
05-12-2006, 07:47 AM
For the same reason Geoff Blum is still a lousy player after Game 3.

it doesn't mean you can't notice ex-sox players who had a part in winning the championship last year. i'm not going to follow blum or willie too hard, but if they can be productive for other teams, i'm happy for them.

doublem23
05-12-2006, 07:57 AM
If Willie Harris can start, but if he's doing so for your team... It's got problems.

ondafarm
05-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Hey, I'm happy for Willie Harris that he's getting some playing time. He put in quite a bit of time in the minors and deserves his shots in the show. I think the White Sox had better options than him and that the Bosox are down to a guy like him just tells me that they shouldn't be going anywhere this year.

palehozenychicty
05-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Hey, I'm happy for Willie Harris that he's getting some playing time. He put in quite a bit of time in the minors and deserves his shots in the show. I think the White Sox had better options than him and that the Bosox are down to a guy like him just tells me that they shouldn't be going anywhere this year.

Exactly. willie wanted more playing time and got sent to AAA, only to be called up to compensate for the injury to crisp. so whateva.

24thStFan
05-12-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm happy for Willie, too. He scored the winning run in the World Series and that should earn him the respect (gratitude?) of Sox fans.

All the Willie haters are hypoctites because I'm sure they were cheering him in Game 4!

bafiarocks03
05-12-2006, 10:58 AM

EDIT: *Notices 'I love Ozney' sign in his pictures which answers question*

He's on my top 8!

mccoydp
05-12-2006, 11:00 AM

Count me in!

miker
05-12-2006, 11:04 AM
I never much understood the harrasment Willie took from these boards. He's basically a slap hitting second baseman with good speed and he can steal a base when needed. Who was he supposed to be, Joe Morgan? Nellie Fox? Rogers Hornsby? (Feel free to them up, kids!)

Like Geoff Blum, that one World Series moment may be the highlight of his career and I'm glad it was with the White Sox.

Good luck Willie.

Lip Man 1
05-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Miker:

The resentment was based on the fact that Harris had some talent.

Unfortunately he was a 'lead-off' hitter who couldn't hit...
A 'lead-off' hitter who struck out a ton...
A guy who couldn't get on base to save his life...
A lousy bunter...
And a guy with blinding raw speed who somehow couldn't steal a base...

Outside of that he was a solid major leaguer!

No one that I know of expected him to be Nellie Fox or Joe Morgan. Hell this guy couldn't even be Mario Mendoza or Bret Barbarie!

Lip

bafiarocks03
05-12-2006, 11:17 AM
I hate these Willie Harris threads, because 80% of you guys hate him, and talk about how bad he is...=[

Lip Man 1
05-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Bafia:

I'm sure he's a nice guy, maybe even a good family man but as a baseball player...sorry, he's 'not good.'

As Mike Ditka would say (can someone insert a picture) 'in life....the truth hurts...'

Lip

Palehose13
05-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Take it FWIW, but a BoSox friend of mine reports that "Sweet Willie" is hitting sub-.100, grousing about PT, and has been "talked to by a veteran leader" about lack of appropriate prep on days when he's not starting.

Needless to say he isn't endearing himself to the Beantown fans or possibly the management.

Willie? Are you serious? No way. :redneck

ondafarm
05-12-2006, 12:07 PM
I do not hate Willie Harris.

I guess disappointed would be the better word, and I think Sox management feels the same way.

Willie has all the tools, above average speed, ability to hit major league pitching and the physical aptitudes to play at the big league level.

He also does not have a cancerous attitude which disrupts other players.

Unfortunately, he has not done what it takes to contribute consistently at the major league level.

He doesn't seem willing to put in the work to become a base-stealer in MLB. I saw him in the minors and he would steal bases purely on speed. That doesn't work when you move to the show.

He hit AAA pitching well enough to have a decent OBP. But he never worked at becoming a plate-disciplined guy, he doesn't work a lot of walks and he strikes out too much.

He hit well enough he never cared to learn how to bunt well. A good bunter gets at least one extra hit per week. That is the difference between a .250 hitter and a .300 hitter. That alone would make Willie a valuable lead-off man.

Willie has the physical gifts that a lot of people, like me, never have. I could never hit major league, let alone AAA pitching consistently. Heck, being a career .244 hitter in AA, most people would say I couldn't hit AA pitching consistently either. Willie can. And yet, how far has he taken these physical gifts and gone. On pure physical talent, Willie is more talented than Iguchi or Loretta (starting 2B for Boston) and yet no one is saying he'll replace either of them. Both of those guys have greater commitment, have utilized greater adaptability and worked their butts off to become better players. Both of those guys are better players, no doubt about it.

I saw Willie before the Sox called him up the first time. I was excited. I thought if he can use all of his skills then the Sox have a fine player. Willie hasn't and isn't. That disappoints me.

flo-B-flo
05-12-2006, 12:29 PM

I guess disappointed would be the better word, and I think Sox management feels the same way.

Willie has all the tools, above average speed, ability to hit major league pitching and the physical aptitudes to play at the big league level.

Unfortunately, he has not done what it takes to contribute consistently at the major league level.

He doesn't seem willing to put in the work to become a base-stealer in MLB. I saw him in the minors and he would steal bases purely on speed. That doesn't work when you move to the show.

He hit AAA pitching well enough to have a decent OBP. But he never worked at becoming a plate-disciplined guy, he doesn't work a lot of walks and he strikes out too much.

He hit well enough he never cared to learn how to bunt well. A good bunter gets at least one extra hit per week. That is the difference between a .250 hitter and a .300 hitter. That alone would make Willie a valuable lead-off man.

Willie has the physical gifts that a lot of people, like me, never have. I could never hit major league, let alone AAA pitching consistently. Heck, being a career .244 hitter in AA, most people would say I couldn't hit AA pitching consistently either. Willie can. And yet, how far has he taken these physical gifts and gone. On pure physical talent, Willie is more talented than Iguchi or Loretta (starting 2B for Boston) and yet no one is saying he'll replace either of them. Both of those guys have greater commitment, have utilized greater adaptability and worked their butts off to become better players. Both of those guys are better players, no doubt about it.

I saw Willie before the Sox called him up the first time. I was excited. I thought if he can use all of his skills then the Sox have a fine player. Willie hasn't and isn't. That disappoints me. This should be the end of this discussion. But, it won't be.

24thStFan
05-12-2006, 12:58 PM

I'm disappointed too, because Willie Harris is/was an outstanding athlete. But I have to wonder about coaching. Why couldn't the Sox teach him to bunt, steal bases, etc.? Don't say Willie doesn't work hard, because we don't really know that. Willie has said he's ready to work hard for a chance to play everyday.

I think Ozzie didn't care for Willie Harris from Ozzie's very first day on the job. Maybe Willie didn't get the same chance form Ozzie as Juan Uribe, Pablo Ozuna, Timo Perez, etc.

And why can't the coaches teach other Sox players to bunt, steal bases, etc.? Sometimes you got to make the coaches accountable, too.

Having had my rant, I agree that Willie has been disappointing with the Red Sox, too. Maybe he's missed his chance--what a waste of talent!

Chicken Dinner
05-12-2006, 01:06 PM
And why can't the coaches teach other Sox players to bunt, steal bases, etc.? Sometimes you got to make the coaches accountable, too.

Having had my rant, I agree that Willie has been disappointing with the Red Sox, too. Maybe he's missed his chance--what a waste of talent!

Sometimes you have to have some talent to teach.

hawkjt
05-12-2006, 01:09 PM
that in his last stint with the sox after being called up from the minors in late Aug he was 12 of 31 at the plate.

That is right at .400.

Yea, he was a disapointment but he finished his sox career with a flourish.

He also got a hit in the eighth inning of the clinching game of the world series off of a then star reliever. No one on the sox had anything going at the plate that nite. JD's hit would not have meant a thing if not for Willie.

I guess I am with the fans that say- good luck willie and thanks for the memory.

24thStFan
05-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Sometimes you have to have some talent to teach.

Oh, Willie has plenty of talent. He was a star wide receiver in high school and recruited by Bobby Bowden to play for Florida State.

His talent was never developed by the Sox - whose fault that was is a matter of opinion. I say coaching, most of y'all say Willie's attitude.

I know people who know Willie and they say he's hard working and a good guy.

Ol' No. 2
05-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Oh, Willie has plenty of talent. He was a star wide receiver in high school and recruited by Bobby Bowden to play for Florida State.

His talent was never developed by the Sox - whose fault that was is a matter of opinion. I say coaching, most of y'all say Willie's attitude.

I know people who know Willie and they say he's hard working and a good guy.You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Just because he didn't develop his talents, that doesn't mean it's the fault of the coaching, especially when we've seen evidence of other players developing just fine. Juan Uribe is probably the best example.

And sometimes it's a matter of style. Sometimes, one coach will be able to get through to a player when others have not.

24thStFan
05-12-2006, 01:43 PM
And sometimes it's a matter of style. Sometimes, one coach will be able to get through to a player when others have not.

I agree. Ozzie's style did not mesh with Willie's style.

ondafarm
05-12-2006, 02:10 PM
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Just because he didn't develop his talents, that doesn't mean it's the fault of the coaching, especially when we've seen evidence of other players developing just fine. Juan Uribe is probably the best example.

I agree 100%. The best organizations at developing people give their players exposure to several competent coaches early in their careers and are much more likely to move a coach because he works well with a couple of players than keep a prospect at a lower level so he can stay with a coach he works well with. This is particularly true at the skill positions: catcher, second & short, third and first to lesser degrees and CF. Batting-wise this also includes lead-off and bunting, especially in the NL.

As an example, AJ had several spring training catcher coaches and worked with a couple for his first few years. He also had a mentor, whom he'd met in ST and was able to call and discuss after every game and stayed with him as he rose thru the organization. IIRC, the gentlemen was a former White Sox.

maurice
05-12-2006, 02:16 PM
does anyone think he can be an everday starter later on in his baseball life?

Sure, they are a lot of comparable 2B who have started in MLB. It would help if he got his head out of his ass. The most accurate criticism of Harris is that he often acted like he's full of himself. Claims that he doesn't walk enough or steal bases at a good enough rate are nonsense.

Palehose13
05-12-2006, 02:23 PM

I know people who know Willie and they say he's hard working and a good guy.

Hey Willie what's up?

I've met the man and think that he is a grade A ass with plenty of attitude.

maurice
05-12-2006, 02:32 PM
As far as coaching is concerned, Harris made his MLB debut before the Sox acquired him. He played instructional-league, rookie-league, A-ball, and AA-ball in the Orioles organization.

24thStFan
05-12-2006, 04:39 PM
Hey Willie what's up?

:weewillie
"What's up y'all. Much love to the South Side.
PH 13 - do I know that kid? Have I met that kid?" :D:

gobears1987
05-12-2006, 07:03 PM

EDIT: *Notices 'I love Ozney' sign in his pictures which answers question*wow, I thought you were joking, but no it really is there.

bafiarocks03
05-12-2006, 08:07 PM
wow, I thought you were joking, but no it really is there.

YEP!
and one of the pics on his main page of him at the game I also took! and sent to him! =]